Genuine Question - Pelle

supersonic

I appreciate there is another thread on him but I feel this needs a separate thread.

Now over 9 league games without a goal for Graziano.

Is he a good Premier League striker who is going through a bad patch, or an average/poor player who was playing extremely well at the start of the season?

He's a good enough premiership player; poor quality final balls into the box and lack of support are not helping, nor is our style of play currently. Doing good stuff to win headers and hold ball up, but all this happening too far away from goal. he is lacking confidence, but you can't just blame a striker when no-one is creating a chance for him. Usual kneejerk reactions seeking to blame players for being rubbish when they aren't.

Link up play was decent. Plays even better when there is someone else up with him. Too often ploughing a lonely furrow.

Wasn't the last time we played two up front against Everton when he was with Shane Long? If I recall correctly, SL assisted Pelle's goal and that was his last league goal since...Surely we have to give it a go, that was a game that ended the first rough patch and we're dropping too many points.

Above average player who is currently on a poor run of form. A lack of back up also means he looks fatigued and could do with a short stint out of the starting line up. Ultimately, the blame doesn't entirely rest on him as he doesn't seem to be getting any good service and the entire forward line looks like they have no idea what to do with the ball in the final third.

He has come from the Eredivisie and is now playing in arguably the most difficult league in the world, and is our only guy who can do what he does. Maybe we need to look at changing the system, because although he's doing his support role well, the goals have dried up. He looks frightened when he gets the ball now, a far cry from the bloke who bicycle kicked our way to victory against QPR.

Don't think it is just him. All of the attackers lack that tiny bit of confidence. They're all capable of beating a man. I don't know why they're not trying to beat the last defender after they do the full back.

He has come from the Eredivisie and is now playing in arguably the most difficult league in the world, and is our only guy who can do what he does. Maybe we need to look at changing the system, because although he's doing his support role well, the goals have dried up. He looks frightened when he gets the ball now, a far cry from the bloke who bicycle kicked our way to victory against QPR.

Don't think it is just him. All of the attackers lack that tiny bit of confidence. They're all capable of beating a man. I don't know why they're not trying to beat the last defender after they do the full back.

I also think there's a lack of understanding between the players up front. We've had new players come in, changes in personnel most weeks, it's not really settled there and I don't think this is helping at the moment.

Djuricic was shocking... dire. Pelle is a linking forward, he needs foils and has headless chickens around him... Koeman is starting to show flaws... this is not about Pelle. Its about how you build a team. Why the hell was Tadic on the bench ?

Strong views

His hold up and link up play is very good but in front of goal he's woefully out of form, scuffing and snatching at shots. Also for a big lad and someone with such a good scoring record on holland he's no where near aggressive enough attacking the ball in the box. He's lacking form and confidence at the moment and badly needs a goal

Edited by Turkish

Djuricic was shocking... dire. Pelle is a linking forward, he needs foils and has headless chickens around him... Koeman is starting to show flaws... this is not about Pelle. Its about how you build a team. Why the hell was Tadic on the bench ?

Because Tadic has been pretty poor recently. Well, since about November.

How many chances did the wingers or midfielders create for him today?

Signing players on loan deals who were struggling at their previous clubs, such Elia and Djuricic, may make sense if the reasons they were under-performing in the first place are understood and considered to be correctable. It is of course still early days here for both of these players, but at the moment you can't entirely dismiss the possibility that were struggling because they're just not very good players anymore.

This is one of those posts that might come back to bite me on the bum one day ...

His hold up and link up play is very good but in front of goal he's woefully out of form, scuffing and snatching at shots. Also for a big lad and someone with such a good scoring record on holland he's no where near aggressive enough attacking the ball in the box. He's lacking form and confidence at the moment and badly needs a goal

Too many flicks and not enough time with the ball at his feet for me. Yes he is capable, you can see its more of a case of a man out of form that has the quality in terms of chance creation. But I think he needs to get it down and allow the attacking players to get closer to him and help him out.

Personally I dont see his movement or composure to be particularly form related as its always seemed to be lacking, composure especially

He was utter rubbish today. He was far too static and made it so easy for the defenders around him. When the ball got lumped up towards him he would make a half-arsed attempt to jump for it and then make no effort to get to the second ball. He looked totally dejected out there and was by far the worst player on the pitch.

I appreciate there is another thread on him but I feel this needs a separate thread.

Is he a good Premier League striker who is going through a bad patch, or an average/poor player who was playing extremely well at the start of the season?

Pointless thread. There is a very valid point about what we do in the final third, but that stretches much further than just Pelle.

why do you think this? i thought he looked promising if a little rusty as to be expected

Pointless thread. There is a very valid point about what we do in the final third, but that stretches much further than just Pelle.

Not pointless at all. I'm not disagreeing that we are below par in the final third.

For me, Pelle isn't good enough, at the start of the season there wasn't much pressure on him and teams didn't know how to manage him and he played well, now the pressure is on and he's been sussed out he isn't performing.

I also think his body language is negative. He just mopes about up front, waving his arms around at others waiting for the ball to be lumped up to him only for him to make a half-hearted effort to head it.

of course that is a point. but his movement in the box to get near any decent ball put in is non existent at the mo.

when he shoots now, he rarely gets it on target....missed 2 pretty easy chances against west ham (both off target) and today was a woeful performance

With JWP too......

There was a moment where Elia put a decent cross in from the right which went over the near post player. Pelle was for some reason hanging on the edge of the box and didn't even try to attack the ball. Maybe the cross would have too high but he has to be in there when crosses come in. It's one reason we are always checking back.

If he does get a goal, he's capable of another little purple patch which is just what we need the the last few games.

I

He's having to pace himself for 90 minutes every game week in and out. No like for like replacement. We failed to buy a striker in January to help him out and it's telling. It may cost us a Europe place.

Something needs to change up front. But I think dropping Pelle and trying another option like Long and attacking wing backs needs to be given a go.

Pelle needs to be dropped.

I thought Djuricic was pretty steady actually. Real potential.

Pelle plays well for 20-30min, gets tired and is then useless and like playing with 10men.

Gets bullied by any big centre back and is useless in aerial challenges against such players.

His composure is appalling and has been all season, and he seems to be the last man in the box, doesn't ever attack the back post and stands at the front one where he can't run and jump to attack the ball.

In summary, when he is playing like this he is Koeman's biggest weakness, he is far to loyal to Pelle and we are suffering as a result. There was a genuine change to get top 4 and we could have clinched it with a decent striker in January. Unfortunately Koeman's faith in Pelle is making this look unlikely now.

I appreciate than when pelle is on confidence his shots are more accurate, but at the moment we are playing with 10men with him in this system. Either play someone off him or drop him and play the speedies through the middle with through balls. We have no plan b at the moment, and Pelle as a target man is awful.

THERE ARE EASILY PLAYERS IN THE LOWER LEAGUES WHO WOULD HAVE SCORED MORE WITH HIS CHANCES THIS SEASON.

Said all season that he holds the ball up, links up and passes very well. However his finishing is abysmal, it takes 5-6 chances before he gets a goal and he was getting those chances earlier in the season because he was unknown.

Today he was awful in every area though. Simply awful.

the player that was groaned about in the early games. He's been decent for us, we don't create enough full stop.

But we do create 'enough' certainly enough for us to get a bit more out of games then we currently are. I agree he isnt the whole problem. Delivery has to be better, as does any sort of play aroumd the box and 50% of the supply to him is very poor.

But he is still part of the issue, he doesnt get into enough dangerous positions, lacks composure, tries too many flicks when he should hold it up and can be easily marked (as can most target men tbh). He needs to do better, but its worty noting he was only 8m which for a decent prem striker is cheap

What! Our best player today. Only one trying to get in the box and get a goal.

And Tadic - if you mean 'why on the bench rather than the pitch'? Because he isn't good enough to get a start. If you mean, how does he get on the bench rather than other players? Beats me. Until he can find the form he shows in the first ten games, may as well play with the U21s.