Genuine Question - Pelle

supersonic

I think the most of it is that the front men (and supporting midfielders) have no system - no concrete ideas or routines. They are individual players that are being swapped around too much to gain a clear understanding. Oh for JRod to be available...we can but hope he comes back as good as before...Pelle needs to be dropped so he can get his head right.

More worryingly, when are we going to score from a free kick, corner or whatever? I genuinely can't remember the last time. Why are we so ineffective from set pieces?

You're asking the question in the right thread. Only Fonte/Yoshida look dangerous on crosses, no-one else seems to ever get near it.

Leads the line well. We're geared-up as a team to play with him. Without him we have to set up another way altogether.

We don't seem to be picking up on his flicks and chest passes enough so are we really "geared up" to play with him. Midfield need to be sharp in the right areas - and they aren't.

Schneiderlin seems to have forgotten all about going past (he started the season doing it a bit more) and Tadic just isn't there.

I wonder if trying the 3-5-2 would help Pelle with Long or Mane playing closer to him. At the moment' date=' the 2 wide forwards leave him too isolated and JWP isn't getting close enough to him to either run beyond him for the flicks or pick up any knock downs.[/quote']

Agreed. I think he's good enough but is starved of service and support. On paper we're playing with 3 up front plus one in the hole, but in reality its 1 up top with no support.

We need to try something different to get more from Pelle and all of our attacking players. I'd like to see a 433 but with no Pelle. Liverpool showed yesterday that you don't need a striker in a front 3 to be a threat going forward.

Why isn't Pelle our 'go-to' man when we have a free-kick? We had several free-kicks from about 25 yards today. I can't understand why Pelle doesn't stride up to the free-kick spot, grab the ball and say 'This one's mine'. He's a striker, he wants to score goals and a free-kick is a huge scoring opportunity.

He hasnt the composure to take the majority of his chances. So Im not sure Id want him near a set piece. I imagine he would just try to hit it as hard as he can as per usual

Well for starters he dived in the first 5 minutes for a Pen instead of staying on his feet and trying to score.... it does not get more dire than that in my books. It speaks volumes.

Don't want to, but have to agree. He was in a great position to shoot and should have scored if he'd got a shot away.

Also the dive there may have cost him the second penalty shout.

Don't want to, but have to agree. He was in a great position to shoot and should have scored if he'd got a shot away.

Also the dive there may have cost him the second penalty shout.

This is important. He will learn very quickly about the Premier League but why throw yourself down in the first minute at the first touch? At least he should have taken it on a stride or two and then made sure he got tangled.

The constant comments about the service he receives baffle me, he receives decent service most of the time, he is either slow off the mark each time or he loses the aerial battle with the defender, service is not the problem, Pelle is the problem.

The constant comments about the service he receives baffle me, he receives decent service most of the time, he is either slow off the mark each time or he loses the aerial battle with the defender, service is not the problem, Pelle is the problem.

This. Lots of absolute ******** talked about the lack of service. There is not much lack of service, its no good playing a ball into a good area as happened several times yesterday while Pelle is lumbering along 10 yards behind play. He only won one header yesterday that I saw, late on in the game, against a poor set of central defenders, and his hold up play which many claim to be one of his finest assets was non-existent. One great pass in the first minute, after that zilch. He has become a liability. I know he can be better (he can be great), but he has believed the hype and now he has (temporarily) forgotten how to do the simple things that got him where he is.

His movement is wooden, he constantly mistimes his aerial 'challenges' (if they deserve that term) and he is infuriatingly over-elaborate with his chested/back-heeled lay-offs. Probably a fraction more of a threat than Lambert is between the posts, but he's much less of an all - round player.

Absolutely, it's not the service, it's up to him to get on to the end of what's on offer. Vastly overated player.

sometimes he doesn't get great service. Yesterday is a god example, but in others, such Swansea at home, he got plenty and he simply didn't take them. Looks out of form, but we need to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater as we smash it long to him a lot and if we don't have a physical presence up there we may find the ball coming back even quicker. Having said that a change might lead to different forward passes that might be more effective (as was the case when West Ham played without Carroll on Sunday).

I thought Djuricic was pretty steady actually. Real potential.

It is difficult to judge players on one appearance but Ronald must see something in him to give him a start after a bit part v West Ham and 60 mins in last Monday's U 21 game

It is evident he has a bit of ability but, to my mind, went down too early for the first penalty appeal.

Perhaps he is unfamiliar with the system but he seemed to be rather peripheral at times not tracking back and a bit lightweight in his challenges.

For all his criticism on here, Pelle's long range pass for Djurcic's first goal attempt was outstanding

I saw a stat that only 0.2% of all corners actually result in a goal and so it makes little sense that we get so excited about them. Not sure if that's the exact number but it's similar.

1 in 500 then, so a whole season without scoring from a corner is about par, think we had 6 yesterday so we'd need 83 games or so to have a statistical chance of scoring from one.

Personally feel 4-3-3 isolates him too much. Would like a return of the Pelle/Mane or Pelle/Long combination.

He is shot for confidence but needs to try and contribute more as its not just lack of service and isolation leading to his poor form. I would like us to try and sign Benteke or a player of that ilk (strong and quick) but obviously that is easier said than done!!

He's not getting anything like enough support. How Koeman expected him to cope against three centre halves on his own I don't know.

Well he probably didn't, until Sadio was late for lunch that is. Ridiculous decision, there must have been another way. Sadio was down at the shop the other day, signing crap and meeting the folks, he gave up his time for that and yet we couldn't even cut him a bit of slack and play him when we needed to, crazy man thinking.

Edited by Window Cleaner

He's not getting anything like enough support. How Koeman expected him to cope against three centre halves on his own I don't know.

Despite this, personally I saw enough decent balls in and around him to be able to do a better job of bringing others in. I never see him actually hold the ball up, just flicks.

As per goalscoring, again there was enough delivery into the box to make more of yesterday. He shouldnt ever be the only one in goalscoring positions, but all too often he isnt either

In my opinion Pelle is a decent enough striker for the PL but not (surprisingly) up there with the sort of attacking talent the other teams in the top 7 can put on the pitch. Not much we can do about it as a club decent is about the best we can hope for unless someone **** hot comes in from the academy (bit like spurs with Kane). Lets face it if we had a Costa, Sanchez or Aguero we be **** hot but I can't see that sort of player ever signing for saints so we have to settle for 10-15 goals a season strikers and get our midfield to provide more goals. it would really help if the likes of Davis, JWP and Morgan added a few goals to their game.

Pelle was in Skrotal's pocket all match and hardly won a ball against the sole central defender (Lovren rarely helped his teammate in marking Pelle - he did not need to!). In contrast, Kevin Davies completely bossed ManUre's defence, even when he had three close markers for the lofted ball down the middle of the park in the recent FA Cup tie, and won almost all the balls played up to him. Pelle is jaded and without confidence; his attitude is sharp contrast to earlier in the season, when he scored regularly. If he gets a couple of goals his confidence will return. But will he be able to boss an entire defence the way Kevin Davies did for Bolton (and sometimes for us) and does for Preston? Perhaps a bit of Davies's aggression would help our Italian stallion.

Don't expect Carroll-type brutality or for him to iron out a CB but would like a bit more aggression from Pelle from crosses and in the final third. He's scored one header all season, IIRC. Surely, he's got to do better than that?

Correct. This for me is the most worrying bit, for someone so big he's pretty ****ing awful in the air.

His movement is appalling for a modern centre forward , he just plays in straight lines, never runs the channels and never ever pulls off onto the full backs. You don't need to be a speed merchant to have movement that'll worry centre halves , Rickie was one paced as is Andy Carroll , but they don't just stand up against the centre half and make it easy for him . Long would have caused their back 3 more problems than he did yesterday , it was all so predictable . All Skertal had to do was stand in the same area and head the ball away time after time after time . He was never made to turn , never dragged into areas he didn't want to play in . Long would have moved him about more , him and lovren are a disaster waiting to happen when they get pulled into the channels , but we made it oh so easy for them . He needs to show a lot more movement and savvy to be sucsessful in this league . After a decent start he's getting sussed out a bit , when this happens you need to adapt and come again , I'm not convinced he has the ability to do so. I hope I'm wrong

I think our last one was from Toby up at Selhurst on boxing day.

Our free kicks and corners are truly woeful. We always over hit them or they dont get past the first man.

Pelle is not totally to blame Tadic has been woeful. Shane Long and Pelle have never been first rate strikers they were average goalscorers but never right up there with the best

However Pelle has fluffed numerous chances four five in the last few games. We need to change the pattern of play to break the run