Koeman says Mané was dropped due to discipline

Saint-Armstrong

It's fair enough, but I'd rather the punishment was turn up and "help" train the U8 academy kids for a week, rather than be dropped!!! Pointless fining them, money means nothing and detrimenatal to the seniors team performance today to have to bench him.

Crazy decision to punish him by putting him on the bench and weakening our starting line-up. Fine him by all means and warn him that if it happens again he'll be dropped but let's not weaken our own team to the benefit of the opposition for what was presumably a first offence. It's tough enough without penalising ourselves. Could have been dealt with more sensibly without resorting to handing an advantage to Liverpool.

Crazy decision to punish him by putting him on the bench and weakening our starting line-up. Fine him by all means and warn him that if it happens again he'll be dropped but let's not weaken our own team to the benefit of the opposition for what was presumably a first offence. It's tough enough without penalising ourselves. Could have been dealt with more sensibly without resorting to handing an advantage to Liverpool.

Agree with you

He was late for pre match dinner not for the warm up or game I have great respect for the manager but think a fine would be more appropriate .You don't cut your nose off to spite you're face.

Only in the short term. Koeman played at Barcelona, I'm sure he understands the benefit of good discipline. Mane scored a couple of goals and thought himself invincible. It's the right thing to do

Disagree with you our team is built on discipline, be it going forward and defending, things that require attention to detail and commitment, if the fool can't meet a defined time to get to the stadium the same time every week I might add then he deserves to be dropped to send a message to the wider team.

Discipline for the season is more important than the team

Probably, but I doubt I'd be sent home and not made to work as punishment as that would affect the company more than me...

TBH if that was the punishment I'd probably make an effort to be late:p....difference being I tolerate my job and Mane, I guess, ****ing loves his job.

I remember saints making a video on Koeman's first training session. Kelvin was interviewed and mentioned he had turned up late and the new boss was not impressed so I think Koeman laid out his expectations early. Saints success this season is built on hard work and team work for that you need rules. Koeman made the right call I'd say.

The dog ate his homework. Professional footballers don't have too much to worry about off the pitch. Surely getting to a game on time is quite high on the agenda. Fair play to RK.

Christ, what a backwards view. Ask robert enke or gary speed what they have to worry about off the pitch.

They don't just get stored in a cupboard till game day you know, they're still human beings with lives, relationships and emotions.

This is very bad news.

It seems his Red Bull Salzburg behaviour is re-emerging.

He wasd a hero there with a high scoring rate, then his discipline went.

:mcinnes: what a huge overreaction to someone simply being late.

It is not just about this incident in isolation - it is a wider message to the club as a whole.

Ron obviously has certain boundaries that he will not tolerate being pushed and lateness is one of them. There is no point in having those boundaries if you don't have the conviction to back them up - Ron obviously does.

Footballers live to play in the big games - taking that away from them is far more effective that a £20k fine. I also believe that stopping players playing football is a theme that runs right through the club to the juniors - mess about and you can watch the next game.

If we are willing to drop one of our top players for a massive game then there is no one in the club who is in any doubt what will happen if they don't toe the line - that can only be positive.

Disagree with you our team is built on discipline, be it going forward and defending, things that require attention to detail and commitment, if the fool can't meet a defined time to get to the stadium the same time every week I might add then he deserves to be dropped to send a message to the wider team.

Discipline for the season is more important than the team

I'm sure it would hurt more losing a weeks wage than not starting the game.

I'm sure it would hurt more losing a weeks wage than not starting the game.

Ron was 100% correct to take action, but I feel he was 100% wrong in the action he took. He should have taken this back to the training ground AND fined him. Dirty washing should be dealt with behind closed doors and so that it does not affect that team and the plans that were in place.

He was late, the club dealt with it, he still played a part.

End of story.

Totally, Mane has made a mistake Koeman has enforced his rules and now everyone needs to move on. Mane will be an important part of the team for the rest of the season we still have a chance of achieving greatness this season!

This is almost certainly not just a disciplinary issue. The pre-match meal is not a social occasion, it is part of the team's preparation on medical advice as to when the last food should be consumed prior to a game. By arriving late, Mané probably disrupted the plan and may have been regarded as unready to play from the start.

This is almost certainly not just a disciplinary issue. The pre-match meal is not a social occasion, it is part of the team's preparation on medical advice as to when the last food should be consumed prior to a game. By arriving late, Mané probably disrupted the plan and may have been regarded as unready to play from the start.

Perhaps he didn't fancy what was for lunch eh, when it's tripes and stuff in the canteen I give it a miss as well. Thje game was at a strange time, some players just don't want to eat before games, it should be a personal decision as it was before.