What colour is this dress?

pap

Cheers, still none the wiser then :D

Weirdly I just accidentally scrolled upwards on this page, the bottom of a blue and black dress appeared which was white and gold again once I stopped scrolling and looked at complete image :?

Well, it seems that the rancid fecal outpourings of soshal meja have, for once, given passage to an embedded sweetcorn of philosophical interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_spectrum

The fact is, you can quite easily agree with someone that it is "blue and brown" but you might perceive it in exactly the same way as someone who says it is "purple and grey".

For a tangential exploration of the problems with ostensive definition, see, W.V. Quine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indeterminacy_of_translation

You can't judge colours from a photo on a computer screen.

I used to be involved in TV research, colour studio sampling standards to be precise. As far as TVs go there is no such colour as brown.

Agree... but... how/why are people seeing white/gold or blue/black... they're not even close

Agree... but... how/why are people seeing white/gold or blue/black... they're not even close

It all depends on the colour settings of the monitor they're using. It's a common problem for anyone using Photoshop. We have no end of problems in our business with people specifying Pantone (printing only) for a paint colour, usually a RAL code. I've even had one customer who specified a RAL code which was a bright orange but then refused the complete sign until it had been repainted in the colour he thought he was getting.

It all depends on the colour settings of the monitor they're using. It's a common problem for anyone using Photoshop. We have no end of problems in our business with people specifying Pantone (printing only) for a paint colour, usually a RAL code. I've even had one customer who specified a RAL code which was a bright orange but then refused the complete sign until it had been repainted in the colour he thought he was getting.

But I showed it to someone on my phone and they said it was Gold and White and someone else said Blue and Black, same time, same picture, same lighting conditions.

Explain that!

But I showed it to someone on my phone and they said it was Gold and White and someone else said Blue and Black, same time, same picture, same lighting conditions.

Explain that!

This happened in our office too, clearly isn't colour blindness.

I'm in the white/gold camp. Annoyingly so is my missus and my eldest daughter which rather killed the phenomenon in my house.

Explain that!

I just showed it to my 3yo son and he said 'it's gold and white, silly' whereas I see it as blue/black.

Same phone screen etc etc

Very weird