Double Glazing

bpsaint

Bit of advice required please chaps. Looking at getting some new windows installed in my home as the current ones are blowing quite badly now, as well as being full of condensation. Everest claim to have some amazing offers on at the moment, but from what i've read online they are just sales tactics and you still pay well over the odds for their products even with discount.

Other reviews etc say that its much better to use an independent local firm, as the whole service is better all round. Does anyne have some good/bad experiences they can share to help me make my decision? Thanks

I worked - very briefly, about 6 weeks - for Everest and can give you first hand advice that their windows and doors are quite good. However, I really don't think they are any better than what you can get from a good local firm.

The sales guys for Everest are all self employed and work on a commission only basis so will do anything they can to secure the sale from you there and then.

My advice - as painful as it is to have double glazing sales people in your house over and over - is to get three local people to come and quote as well as Everest. DO NOT agree to anything on the first visit despite how good the deal may look. Take your time and look at the figures once the sales person has gone. Always insist that they bring samples of the windows they are selling so you can see and compare with the other companies, the quality you will be getting. Do your research in advance about the type of window you want fitted - UPVC versus composite or wood frames etc so you will know roughly what the salesperson is talking about when they try to baffle you with their version of 'science'.

Once you have all the quotes then you are in a better position to decide who to go with.

Also, decide how you are going to pay for the windows - if it's cash then you have a much better negotiating tool in your bag. If finance, then I would strongly recommend seeing what your bank will loan you and at what rate as I guarantee this will be cheaper than most windows companies.

Finally, once you have all the quotes - insist on having a copy of all the measurements they have taken as well - then you can compare online prices. Decide on your budget and how much you are prepared to pay for your windows and stick to it. Don't be fooled by some of the 'gimmicks' on offer unless you absolutely need them....

Bit of advice required please chaps. Looking at getting some new windows installed in my home as the current ones are blowing quite badly now, as well as being full of condensation. Everest claim to have some amazing offers on at the moment, but from what i've read online they are just sales tactics and you still pay well over the odds for their products even with discount.

Other reviews etc say that its much better to use an independent local firm, as the whole service is better all round. Does anyne have some good/bad experiences they can share to help me make my decision? Thanks

My Son in law fits windows and is very competitive, he has just fitted a new good quality front door for £450 his work is top draw, if you want him to come and give you a quote just let us know.

Have you considered refurbishment?

Mine are getting on a bit and the rubber seals around the panes have shrunk therefore removing the insulating effect of the gap. The frames are still in good nick and I believe that there are firms that will replace the seals, which is a lot cheaper than outright replacement.

had the bay and top window at the front of our house all the glass changed to new toughened glass with the coating on them for keeping warmth in cold out, 4 large pains top one allmost 2yards long over a yard wide,and the shutters at the top over a ft high and they are leaded, 8 pains £500 all in,can pm the number if your intrested.

Clearview are a very good local firm based in Shirley, good value and excellent reputation.

They've replaced most of the windows in my house and are very good, reliable and a provide a good price. Much cheaper than the Everest / Anglian rip off merchants who try and convince you they are doing a deal by knocking off 50% from their hugely inflated starting price. I had two big bays (structural, with motifs) and two decent size windows (all with dummy sashes) replaced on the front of my house. Everest quoted £9k, Anglian started off at £17k and reduced it to £11k, Clearview were £4.5k (as were Pro Glaze too who seem like a decent local outfit).

I had all of my front windows done a few years a ago and my experience was that the national firms have sales guys that spend hours pitching their windows. We couldn't get the guy from Anglian to bloody leave. If you just want the basic windows and nothing flashy then I'm not sure I would bother with them We then got a quote for a solid local firm who were quite a bit cheaper and far less pushy. We then got a one man band fella in who was the cheapest, but not by much.

We went for the solid local firm in the end and they did a decent job. However I had the one man band fella back recently to do put a back door/window in and I the job was just as good.