10 years ago today.

Dr Who?

David Prutton was sent off for a wreckless lunge at Robert Pires (second yellow) in a 1-1 home draw with Arsenal. He then proceeded to push Alan Wiley and get a ban for 10 games and a fine for £6,000.

I think this had an impact on the rest of the season and our relegation from the top flight.

In this game I seem to remember Arsenal putting the ball in the net in injury time, to what I and many others thought was another late conceded goal, only to see the assistants flag up!

David Prutton was sent off for a wreckless lunge at Robert Pires (second yellow) in a 1-1 home draw with Arsenal. He then proceeded to push Alan Wiley and get a ban for 10 games and a fine for £6,000.

I think this had an impact on the rest of the season and our relegation from the top flight.

In this game I seem to remember Arsenal putting the ball in the net in injury time, to what I and many others thought was another late conceded goal, only to see the assistants flag up!

That was only 10 years ago? Fudge me, maybe time isn't flying so fast as we thought! Seems more like 20.

I think it was Ashley Cole who had found the roof of the net, only to be denied by the lino, and what a beautiful lino he was.

Was Prutton THAT good? I only got into football (and also Saints) in the very latter part of that season. The 4-3 against Norwich was the first time I got excited about anything but anyway, in the Championship, only a few months later, Prutton was very hit and miss. I can remember him having one really good game against Leicester where he scored and was the best player on the pitch but I can't remember him doing much else.

This isn't the first time I've heard people say things along the lines of, if Prutton wasn't suspended we'd have stayed up. Was he THAT good in the PL? (Genuine question) If so, he should have been amazing in the Championship, surely?

Was Prutton THAT good?

Surely regarded as one of our best midfielders ever and will always be a legend here. Completely dominated games, strong in the tackle, eye for a pass, made Viera look like a complete pussy.

Was set for a big move to Liverpool or Spurs had we not been relegated/had he not been sent off. Then went off the rails in the Championship.

But yes, he was f**king incredible. Up there with Morgan is terms of quality and natural ability.

Was Prutton THAT good? I only got into football (and also Saints) in the very latter part of that season. The 4-3 against Norwich was the first time I got excited about anything but anyway, in the Championship, only a few months later, Prutton was very hit and miss. I can remember him having one really good game against Leicester where he scored and was the best player on the pitch but I can't remember him doing much else.

This isn't the first time I've heard people say things along the lines of, if Prutton wasn't suspended we'd have stayed up. Was he THAT good in the PL? (Genuine question) If so, he should have been amazing in the Championship, surely?

he was a decent player but at the time of this incident, he was in real form and was a very important player at the time. more of a purple patch really and he was missed

we didnt have many playing well at the time but he was one of them

Didn't Crouch get sent off at Dellhurst Park too which put is in the poo. That season was a car crash. We had enough to stay up but with Arry at the helm it all went pear shaped and we went down as bottom team. A number of the squad left and stayed in the Premiership and the rest is history. Still, the reversal of our fortunes has been awesome and I wouldn't swap the period from Pardew on for anything.

Didn't Crouch get sent off at Dellhurst Park too which put is in the poo. That season was a car crash. We had enough to stay up but with Arry at the helm it all went pear shaped and we went down as bottom team. A number of the squad left and stayed in the Premiership and the rest is history. Still, the reversal of our fortunes has been awesome and I wouldn't swap the period from Pardew on for anything.

yeah. lot of talk that crouch bottled it at fratton. (like most of the team during the game)

Surely regarded as one of our best midfielders ever and will always be a legend here. Completely dominated games, strong in the tackle, eye for a pass, made Viera look like a complete pussy.

Was set for a big move to Liverpool or Spurs had we not been relegated/had he not been sent off. Then went off the rails in the Championship.

But yes, he was f**king incredible. Up there with Morgan is terms of quality and natural ability.

Presumably this is a **** take.

He was good at best. Ran around a lot and always did a lap applauding the fans at the end of each game. Didn't make him a legend. Was distinctly average most of the time.

Missed a sitter at West Brom on a ****ing freezing night that would've kept us up.

Should have a stand named after him IMO.

He was good at best. Ran around a lot and always did a lap applauding the fans at the end of each game. Didn't make him a legend. Was distinctly average most of the time.

Missed a sitter at West Brom on a ****ing freezing night that would've kept us up.

That just about sums him up. I remember being really impressed when we signed him but after a few games I thought "is that it then?"

Felt the same when we signed Danny Fox too and I suddenly noticed after about 15 mins of his debut this big gaping unmanned area of the pitch where the left back should have been ! :lol:

Volleyed over from about 8 yards out when it was easier to score than miss! Managed to watch that online in the very early days of dodgy streaming sites, we've never had it so good now!

Prutton came here in very high regard, and was the captain of the England U21 side, but never really lived up to the promise except in a couple of games, notably the 2-0 home win against the bin dippers that relegation season.

In fairness the red card and 10 match ban was just another item on the list of things that cost us relegation that season, and what a long list it was.

As I remember This wasn't a sudden rush of blood this was the lid coming off the pressure cooker.

Prutton or someone broke into the box and Senderos was facing the wrong way hung out a leg deliberately behind him in the box tripping the Saints player for a clear penalty in clear view of the Lino nothing given. Not long after Prutton was cleaned out spectacularly by Cashley Cole the Lino waved his flag like a dervish indicating a free kick to us, Alan Wiley just waved him away for no foul as if the man was a buffoon!!! The crowd was obviously whipped up by this, the ball from the tackle broke across the box and the red mist had descended on a normally nice mannered Prutton and he skittled the Arsenal player with the ball with as much gusto as Cole had used to wipe him out, Wiley blows his whistle for the foul and Prutton exploded marching over to the Lino and probably telling him to grow a pair and stand up to the referee then it all went wrong, pushing shoving....... Red Card!

Alan Wiley was the catalyst for this, at a meet the ref night with Saints fans in attendance someone asked him what went on with the to which he said "I have no idea he just lost it"........ I had great pleasure in telling him very politely that it was predominantly his fault.

Volleyed over from about 8 yards out when it was easier to score than miss! Managed to watch that online in the very early days of dodgy streaming sites, we've never had it so good now!

Prutton came here in very high regard, and was the captain of the England U21 side, but never really lived up to the promise except in a couple of games, notably the 2-0 home win against the bin dippers that relegation season.

In fairness the red card and 10 match ban was just another item on the list of things that cost us relegation that season, and what a long list it was.

I remember being chuffed when we got Prutton he looked a real prospect and at the start of his time at saints was putting in some solid displays then it all went wrong with that red card his career which had been on the up continuously to that point quickly reversed. I was so disappointed with him in the championship much like Oakley I expected his quality to shine through and for him to boss games which sadly never happened. Rest is history I've seen him out in a couple of decent performances for Sheffield Wednesday and he was still clapping the crowd and shooting wildly from distance!

there were many woeful moments in that season.

There certainly were. Off the top of my head...

- Prutton missing that open goal at West Brom

- Imploding at 2 - 0 up to lose 3 - 2 at home to Villa

- Crouch getting sent off at Palace

- Being 2 - 0 up against Middlesbrough with a minute to play and drawing 2 - 2 (R*dknapp's first game in charge)

- The defeat at Fratton

- Getting done over 4 - 0 by United in the FA Cup quarter-final (my 16th birthday, cheers guys...)

- The abysmal display at Watford in the Carling Cup

- The appointment of Steve Wigley

Probably the worst I can remember. Administration was less painful.

The defeat at Fratton

The worst moment of my Saints supporting career by far. I can't imagine it can ever be topped. There are no words to describe how abject that performance was. First derby game I'd been to with my Dad. ****ing terrible.

That game is one of many reasons why, regardless of the result today, this season has been so ****ing sweet!

- Being 2 - 0 up against Middlesbrough with a minute to play and drawing 2 - 2 (R*dknapp's first game in charge)

- The defeat at Fratton

- Getting done over 4 - 0 by United in the FA Cup quarter-final (my 16th birthday, cheers guys...)

Everton at home...

Gosh was that really 10 years ago!

5 years of really crap times followed.

Then 5 years of really good times. Thanks to Katerina & Markus.

I think 5 years ago we would all have taken loosing two in a row and being a bit down because we had dropped to 5th in the Prem!

I was at that game and remember this incident well.

Was that the same game when a young Robin Van Persie also saw red and walked off with Arsene Wenger giving him a look that would have melted asbestos?

so was I .. I really couldn't believe what I was seeing. The foul was bad enough.. but pushing the ref. like that, too.....:eek:

Prutton did have his days, but his long absence, amd other injuries ......and Crouch's (later) red card near the end of the season gave us no chance of survival.

My god, I do not know why I starting digging into this 2004/5 season more. We went from August until the last week of January, with one win in the league. That was at home to the skates! 4 months with 1 win.

Then we beat Liverpool 2-0. Then after that we did not win again until March! Terrible! We only won 6 games! Lol.

http://www.southampton-mad.co.uk/results_fixtures/2004_2005/southampton/index.shtml

Cannot believe that was 10 years ago.David Prutton came to us with Danny Higginbotham and I remember Wigley saying at the time, that we got the one we wanted. Prutton was captain of England under 21's then. He had some good games but never reached the potential anticipated whilst Danny turned out to be the better buy.

- The defeat at Fratton

We also had some crucial long term injuries to key players.

Cannot believe that was 10 years ago.David Prutton came to us with Danny Higginbotham and I remember Wigley saying at the time, that we got the one we wanted. Prutton was captain of England under 21's then. He had some good games but never reached the potential anticipated whilst Danny turned out to be the better buy.

Yes he did, he was very highly rated when he came here, was in the same forest side as Michael Dawson, Andy Reid and Jermaine Jenas, all of which were tipped to go on to have big futures. Shame really as seemed to like it here and by all accounts was a top guy, I think we missed him during the run in that season but overall never became the player he was meant to.

Yes he did, he was very highly rated when he came here, was in the same forest side as Michael Dawson, Andy Reid and Jermaine Jenas, all of which were tipped to go on to have big futures. Shame really as seemed to like it here and by all accounts was a top guy, I think we missed him during the run in that season but overall never became the player he was meant to.

My girls were 9 and 10 around that time and liked getting the players autographs on their shirts, after much pleading we hung around after a couple games waiting for the players, on a couple of occasions Prutton would be in the first wave of players out signing for fans as he went. When my girls had seen everyone who was coming out we would wander back to the car only to pass David Prutton 30-40 minutes after walking past us still in the car park talking and signing for fans.

You are joking aren't you. Protein was a journeyman, no more than that and mostly effing useless. Up there with Morgan? What the hell are you on chum?

I was there for that one and I've never forgiven him for it.

Me too, it really was an absolute sitter. Like Lambert's at Sunderland last season or Pelle's on Saturday. We were good enough to stay up that year but bad management and some mental fragility did for us. As others have noted, there were loads of games we should have won comfortably but contrived to mess up.

As someone else also said, I've met Prutton and he is a nice chap.

We also had some crucial long term injuries to key players.

To my mind this was the main contributing reason. I remember around February and March the entire (first choice) first team was unavailable due to injury. Now, many people have said it was bad luck - my view was that it was an indemic problem with either the overall levels of fitness, the training regime, the physiotherapy or something that the management either should have done better or could have corrected before it became critical.

But it's easier to say its bad luck and no-one is to blame......

To my mind this was the main contributing reason. I remember around February and March the entire (first choice) first team was unavailable due to injury. Now, many people have said it was bad luck - my view was that it was an indemic problem with either the overall levels of fitness, the training regime, the physiotherapy or something that the management either should have done better or could have corrected before it became critical.

But it's easier to say its bad luck and no-one is to blame......

It wasn't Harry's fault.

Apparently.