West Brom 1 Saints 0 - Post match thread

Bewildered

No striker in the window...nothing more to say than that really.

Totally agree. Koeman failed to land a striker when it was blatantly obvious that we really needed other options in that position. What concerns me is that he went out and got 2 more average midfielders that really weren't needed. We've now got 3 or 4 of these players who on their day are superb but they only have their day about 1 in every 10 games. You can just about afford to carry one player like that but we seem to want to play 3 of them every week. We need Shane Long back in the team as his work rate is superb and we need Steven Davis playing a more advanced role in the middle. Then play any 1 from, Elia, Mane, Djuricic or Tadic.

As soon as I saw 3-4-3 I said he'd got it wrong. He quickly realised but it was too little too late. I'd have started Long up front. The possibility of scoring against an old club is always a huge incentive. He's a striker, we paid £12m for him, so why is he sat on the bench when Pelle is having such a nightmare?

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

Expected a draw today, a nil-nil one at that, but didn't expect to lose. Two matches running we've conceded early and had to chase the game against packed defences. Opposition teams have figured us out.

Something doesn't seem right about the body language of Tadic and Pelle, they both look grumpy and irritable. They both lack drive, energy and interest. Perhaps they aren't happy off the pitch, maybe they aren't enjoying living in the area? Still, playing like that they aren't going to get a move elsewhere!

The talk about Clyne and Morgan being disinterested and their heads in the clouds, I can understand. We know that it's pretty likely that they are off, so their performances are bound to carry a sense of suspiciousness from some of us. What motivation is there if they know they have lucrative deals pretty much guaranteed, especially if it's to teams we may be chasing? They only need to take their foot off the gas slightly for it to affect performance.

Ron has to take some blame today as well unfortunately :( fair play he changed the system because it wasn't working, but he used up a valuable sub way earlier than we needed, he chose the formation today, he picked the team that didn't perform - he got it wrong.

The rot needs to be stopped now before confidence hits rock bottom. Ron needs to freshen things up - quick!

Beaten by a wonder goal in first minute but were the better team throughout. WE HAVE BEEN UNLUCKY, its not that our players have suddenly become sh1t overnight. Pelle's hit the woodwork 6 times, we've been denied clear penalties by sh1t refs, and not given a lot of other decisions. "Twas ever thus" with Saints over the years. It doesn't even out over the season, if it did Man Utd wouldn't have won the league as much as they have. BUT, we have the best manager and squad for over 30 years and on Tuesday night we have to roar the team and manager on to a win. Negativity and pessimism spreads like a cancer and does no-one any good - just reading this thread is proof of that.

Sorry I'm not falling in line with the mood of slating everyone and everything but that has never helped us in the past and won't help now. Pelle needs his confidence back and we know that if the fans really get behind him (not on his back) he'll get back to his best, as we've seen before when he finally got his first goal, then rest came quick.

Yes, we lost, but win on Tuesday and it all changes again! Have a great Saturday night all, see you at St Mary's on Tuesday!

This not down to bad luck! They simply seem unable to shoot and hit the target. Why don't we have players prepared to shoot on the edge of the box? We are over-reliant on Pelle and ought to be prepared to use other formations when the big centre forward plan isn't working.

The season is not over, we are having a poor spell and nobody died.

I would have preferred a better day, but this is footy. I just hope we can end the season on a higher note than the past couple of weeks.

I agree with this. Some people need to get a bit of perspective. We are in the top 6 just coming into March. We are not going to be relegated, which was a very real fear at the start of the season. If we don't get into Europe, it is not the end of the world. I would be inclined to rest some of the senior players and play some of the younger players. Also, we can spend some time searching out new players to replace the ones we are going to lose.

If you think about it, and look at the bigger picture, we are having a great season. We must not let the last 4 or 5 results get us down !

Saints are now equipped to make opponents fear them enough to defend in numbers.. but aren't good enough to break them down if they do. :(

Although its a good sign that opponents realise the threat we pose that they defend in numbers, its an extremely frustrating watch! If the teams from 8th downwards opened up against us we'd probably win in a head to head battle of football ability, when they play on the counter, time waste and defend in numbers there is a good chance we'll draw or lose.

Pelle should be dropped. Useless.

Biggest mistake of the summer exodus was letting Lambert leave. I wish he was here to take the pressure of Pelle. Drop Pelle for Long up front. Bring Pelle on as a sub later in the game.

Biggest mistake of the summer was letting Lallana leave. Sort of player who can always produce a spark when we need it.

Others got over it, so have would he. Tadic just isn't comparable, in fact he's just another dutch league selling plater.AS Brendan says we didn't have to sell.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I agree with this. Some people need to get a bit of perspective. We are in the top 6 just coming into March. We are not going to be relegated, which was a very real fear at the start of the season. If we don't get into Europe, it is not the end of the world. I would be inclined to rest some of the senior players and play some of the younger players. Also, we can spend some time searching out new players to replace the ones we are going to lose.

If you think about it, and look at the bigger picture, we are having a great season. We must not let the last 4 or 5 results get us down !

:nod::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Beaten by a wonder goal in first minute but were the better team throughout. WE HAVE BEEN UNLUCKY, its not that our players have suddenly become sh1t overnight. Pelle's hit the woodwork 6 times, we've been denied clear penalties by sh1t refs, and not given a lot of other decisions. "Twas ever thus" with Saints over the years. It doesn't even out over the season, if it did Man Utd wouldn't have won the league as much as they have. BUT, we have the best manager and squad for over 30 years and on Tuesday night we have to roar the team and manager on to a win. Negativity and pessimism spreads like a cancer and does no-one any good - just reading this thread is proof of that.

Sorry I'm not falling in line with the mood of slating everyone and everything but that has never helped us in the past and won't help now. Pelle needs his confidence back and we know that if the fans really get behind him (not on his back) he'll get back to his best, as we've seen before when he finally got his first goal, then rest came quick.

Yes, we lost, but win on Tuesday and it all changes again! Have a great Saturday night all, see you at St Mary's on Tuesday!

And if we lose!?

Well said Max !

COYS

And if we lose!?

Max's post will reflect Ronald's team talk, no negativity, look ahead, stay strong, stay positive !

That's the way it should be, if you even consider losing then you are half way there !

We won't lose, that's the approach and I wouldn't have it any other way !

COYS

Just back from the game.

We couldn't hit a barn door from a yard!

Tadic in the team is like playing with ten. Pelles confidence is shot. Mane was poo, but still better than Tadic.

We are way to slow to counter. We have forgotten how to get behind a team. When Bertrand did Pelle missed a sitter.

Typical Pullis team ball over the top to quick strikers & make the most of set plays.

Dowd shocking in first half.

Why don't we score goals like Coutinho & Berahino do?

Time wasting like never before. Dowd kept telling them, but never booked any of them.

Craig Gardner is a nasty ****. How he didn't even give a free kick for the foul on Clyne is beyond me. Every time Gardner got chance he followed through. Hate him!

Really fed up with Saints at the moment. Where's the plan B?

Correct, its not sudden, they have been **** for a long time now. Unlucky. Really does make you wonder sometimes about what people see and how they react, it is not unlucky, it is because we have regressed and become clueless in the attacking third, and really it is nothing to do with the opponents parking the bus, our players and our coaches have forgotten what they used to do well. But hey ho lets just get behind the boys again because that's all that is needed. What's needed is to try something different, and drop the players who currently are not doing their job.

Just back from the game.

Tadic in the team is like playing with ten. Pelles confidence is shot. Mane was poo, but still better than Tadic.

We are way to slow to counter. We have forgotten how to get behind a team. When Bertrand did Pelle missed a sitter.

Typical Pullis team ball over the top to quick strikers & make the most of set plays.

Time wasting like never before. Dowd kept telling them, but never booked any of them.

Craig Gardner is a nasty ****. How he didn't even give a free kick for the foul on Clyne is beyond me. Every time Gardner got chance he followed through. Hate him!

thats racist.

Biggest mistake of the summer was letting Lallana leave. Sort of player who can always produce a spark when we need it.

Others got over it, so have would he. Tadic just isn't comparable, in fact he's just another dutch league selling plater.AS Brendan says we didn't have to sell.

Your anti Dutch spiel is very, very tedious now.

Were you held down and sodomized on a trip to the dam?

We were awful. We had the wrong setup from the start, and didn't make enough of our opportunities when they did come along. Pelle is far, far off the pace at the moment. We don't look like the free-scoring team we were earlier in the season, and Europe is looking less and less likely. WBA took the three points, we got nothing and probably deserved nothing.

However - I'd still rather lose under Koeman than win under Pulis. We're not doing much wrong, it shouldn't take much to get us scoring again, whereas WBA fans have to watch that desperate version of football each week. Time-wasting after 15 minutes at home - keeper booked after an hour for time wasting. We were bad, we have room for improvement. Think what we saw today was as good as it gets for them

Koeman's biggest mistake of late, and it probably was beyond his control, was convincing Ricky to return on loan for the rest of the season. If Ricky was close to going to Villa, had we tried I'm sure he would have come. Guess Rodgers and Les would have been against such a move.

Perhaps the worst thing to come out of this poor run is the smug satisfaction of every Liverpool, United, Spurs and Arsenal fan saying "I knew Southampton would fade away eventually."

Well we turned a poor run of form around in November and we can do the same again. It's not too late to surprise the big teams, though we need to arrest the bad form quickly.

We we go into the Palace game now with them as the favourites based on form. Could help.

We we go into the Palace game now with them as the favourites based on form. Could help.

Honestly when West Ham turned up the wick Palace were all over the place, can't really see them troubling us apart from Bolasie, hope that the video intervention board (or whatever they call themselves) have a look at that deliberate elbow from Jedinak as well, probably won't be in time for Tuesday though.

Just back from the game.

Gardner was the little c**t who literally punched the ball away as it was being thrown over to them to take a freekick. Ref's back was turned, so missed it. Deliberate and utterly cynical, wasting even more precious time.

Back an hour now. Had my dinner and time to reflect.MOTM today were the Saints Fans.I can't rate any of our players however as from what I saw they appeared clueless. I will never be a wrist-skitter but will only agree with those who were actually at the match.We were very poor.Higher possession is of little value when our 'striker' appears to have lost the plot.Pelle's head is really down and Koeman must accept responsibility for this.To top it all off the Baggies Obersturmbahnfuren decided to shut off our egress from the ground and send all the Saints fans down to the east of the Stadium (not the side of the Stadium) and as we had parked to the West we had to walk almost two miles to get to the car.The car was parked less than five minutes walk away.Almost everyone griped with great justification.Treat us like ****e and we won't be back.

Roll on Tuesday where a three goal lead will raise the spirits.

We can blame Pelle, but who's fault is it he's getting picked? He's having a major crisis, and I feel sorry for him. But in any other team he would have been dropped, and sadly we have no back up. I'd try Long, who incredibly is also getting slated. How many games has he started?? I guess Les Reed and co weren't planning for a top four challenge. Maybe they have targets who aren't available until the summer. What's most frustrating is that some of the teams we've faced recently have created **** all, but taken their chances. We never really look like conceding, but today I could not see us scoring. Just poor delivery constantly into the box, and a couple of shocking misses from Pelle. Worried for the Palace game now

The miss from Pelle was atrocious but I feel sorry for him. Utterly isolated, so many times today he had nobody within 20 yards of him. The 3 up front with 2 wide just isn't working. The ball gets knocked up to him, he either doesn't win the header or the knock down falls to nobody.

Pulis is a cancer to football - as soon as they scored he just EVERYBODY to sit back and defend. Disgusting. I would be embarrassed if that were Saints who did that.

Are you for real? Why would you be embarrassed? It's a results business and anyone that would rather play pretty football and lose is following the wrong sport. WTF is he meant to do? Tell them to leave great big holes for us to exploit to be fair? If his team has a 1-0 lead why on Earth should he not sit back and defend? I don't understand why "Parking the bus" in order to get a result is such a bad thing...I certainly don't understand how it's "disgusting". Enlighten me.

We were awful. We had the wrong setup from the start, and didn't make enough of our opportunities when they did come along. Pelle is far, far off the pace at the moment. We don't look like the free-scoring team we were earlier in the season, and Europe is looking less and less likely. WBA took the three points, we got nothing and probably deserved nothing.

However - I'd still rather lose under Koeman than win under Pulis. We're not doing much wrong, it shouldn't take much to get us scoring again, whereas WBA fans have to watch that desperate version of football each week. Time-wasting after 15 minutes at home - keeper booked after an hour for time wasting. We were bad, we have room for improvement. Think what we saw today was as good as it gets for them

Agree; WBA played like like the away team after the "worldy" volley from Berahino. The time wasting was incredible and their style of play to congest their area a predictable tactic very much like Stoke days under Pulis. Originally, I thought taking Vic off at half time for Davo was a mistake yet the little threat to our goal in the second half meant we didn't need him. Bertrand, Yoshida and Morgan had good games; the late miss from Pelle really sums up his malaise while Mane played out wide saw him out of the action and isolated from Pelle where he seems most dangerous.

RK has to take a lot of the blame for recent performances......Pelle should have been dropped ages ago, tactics last few games have been wrong and a genuine shot at top 4 appears to have evaporated last 4 games or so.

Fantastic, unexpected season but we seem to be falling apart right at the end. Which, to be fair, while disappointing, should be expected as we just don't have the squad to cope.

Hopefully next season we will regroup and continue our upward progress.

Really don't see Elia being a permanent fixture and hopefully Tadic and Pelle come back stronger after a first season in the Prem. Remember SUarez did not look all that in his first season.

Forget progression, if we lose Morgan, Toby, Nathan, and possibly Big Vic, it'll be hard to just tread water. :(

Time for Koeman to start earning his crust now, we've looked poor for weeks now, and he persists in playing Pelle up top by himself still. We'll keep coming back to this but the decision not to bring in a striker in January to ease the burden/provide competition is going to cost us the Champions League dream.

Not optimistic about our chances on Tuesday whatsoever.

It's frustrating, because so many of us saw this a mile away. Yes, RK and LR may have had half-hearted attempts to bring someone in, and no-one says it would've been easy, but it's a big world out there and we're hardly short of money. Surely we could've got someone as good a Pelle, to give him a rest or to have a plan B when he's having a stinker (which is every game now).

What I don't understand is that we used to have goals coming from everywhere. In the first half of the season I half expected koeman to score! Where has that gone? Where is the team that beat Sunderland 8-0.

But I don't think we're done yet. Remember when Everton were supposed to roll over us and we put three past them. I think we'll see a Samson-esque show of strength just when everyone thinks were dead and buried.

I believe in this team, they'll work it out