Ryan Seager - Official: Released

Born In The 80s

Time to have a look at this kid. We are currently in the situation where our only striker option has suffered a horrendous case of the yips at the worst possible time. Not slamming Pelle. He was good before Christmas. But he hasn't shown anything in the last month that suggests he is going to turn around his current dire form. He is also like a statue up there. Very little movement.

Ryan Seager is a young guy who could come into the side with a point to prove and also with a good goalscoring record behind him for the U21. Of course he's raw but I think it's certainly worth throwing him in for a few games to see how he goes. At worst he'd offer us a willing runner up there (something Pelle isn't offering currently).

The way things are going, it's hard to see where the next goal is coming from. If we are being totally honest, we are more than likely heading for 7th place - which all things considered would still be a fantastic season. We've not got much to lose now, so what harm throwing Seager in for a handful of games to see if he can offer something different.

The last thing you do is throw in a young, untried and inexperienced striker, into a team that doesn't score goals.

I'm glad the people running our club have a bit more sense.

Bit like when we threw in a young, untried LB (Luke Shaw) into a back four that was shipping goals left, right and centre?

What we are doing right now is completely destroying Pelle's confidence every game he plays. He needs to be taken out the firing line and in my opinion, Long isn't a lone striker and neither is Mane.

Bit like when we threw in a young, untried LB (Luke Shaw) into a back four that was shipping goals left, right and centre?

What we are doing right now is completely destroying Pelle's confidence every game he plays. He needs to be taken out the firing line and in my opinion, Long isn't a lone striker and neither is Mane.

What would it do to Pelle, Long and Mane's confidence if one of them is dropped from the starting XI and one is dropped from the match day squad to make way for Seager?

Edited by Matthew Le God

Shaw was a phenomenal teenager and had been tipped to come through for ages.

Kane had been scoring in the lower leagues on loan and representing England at all ages plus making an impact in Europa League football.

Seager scores goals in a santized U21 league playing mostly with and against teenagers.

If Koeman thought he could score goals at PL level then he would have featured more than one cameo sub appearance considering the lack of forward options we have had at times this season.

Not the right time and he isn't probably at the level needed from what Ive seen of the U21s.

I agree he's not the first team level (of course he hasn't been tried)....but he's a good finisher inside the box, and that's something we need right now.

I don't see him as cover for Pellé, but he's worth try for an hour now and again. If we don't start scoring soon we'll end up mid-table by May.

Not the right time and he isn't probably at the level needed from what Ive seen of the U21s.

I agree he's not the first team level (of course he hasn't been tried)....but he's a good finisher inside the box, and that's something we need right now.

I don't see him as cover for Pellé, but he's worth a try for an hour, now and again. If we don't start scoring soon we'll end up mid-table by May.

They're all good finishers in the box when they don't have top class defenders within 15 inches of them for the 90 minutes the game lasts. Top class strikers know how to create time and space, therein lies the difference between an Aguero and any Tom D*ck or Harry.

Edited by Window Cleaner

The last thing you do is throw in a young, untried and inexperienced striker, into a team that doesn't score goals.

I'm glad the people running our club have a bit more sense.

Hate to break this to you, but we are approaching the last thing fairly soon I'd imagine... and as already stated, that is exactly what Tottenham did with Kane :mcinnes:

Hate to break this to you, but we are approaching the last thing fairly soon I'd imagine... and as already stated, that is exactly what Tottenham did with Kane :mcinnes:

No, we're not. And again, this isn't anything like the Spurs situation with Kane.

Rasiak would get a game in this team!! Dire

Never really understood why people don't like Rasiak. His goal scoring record for us wasn't that bad: 65 games, 24 goals. He was our top scorer in 2006/07. I also met him in Toys R Us that Christmas, and he seemed like a nice enough bloke. Took a few minutes out of his shopping to talk about prospects for the season. At that time he'd already scored about 15 goals or something.

Never really understood why people don't like Rasiak. His goal scoring record for us wasn't that bad: 65 games, 24 goals.

He was our top scorer in 2006/07. I also met him in Toys R Us that Christmas, and he seemed like a nice enough bloke.

Took a few minutes out of his shopping to talk about prospects for the season. At that time he'd already scored about 15 goals or something.

I have to agree. But his lazy-looking style of moving (that tall men often have) made him look slow and cumbersome, but he put away a lot of good chances.

At that time, Rasiak was one of only 3 players who had scored 20 goals in a season (for us), going way to the old Div 1 days.

NOTE: the others who made 20, or more;...MLT and James Beattie. (prior to them...it was Colin Clarke (1986-87).

Edited by david in sweden

There a lot of logic in what you say, but then " older heads " can recall untried youngsters like; Bobby Stokes, Tony Funnell, Steve Moran, and Alan Shearer...

of yes ....and " that Le Tissier fellow." ...(but I agree).. it's taking a chance, but must we wait another 10 games for Pellé to regain his goal scoring form.?

Seager needs a chance, at his age we need to know if he's " one for the future ", or cut him loose and then see he turns out to be another Ings, or Phillips.

• 3 years later...
Seager currently on trial at Bristol Rovers. Could indicate a Will Wood type situation where we've told him we aren't going to resign him so we let him go out to different clubs during the season to help them find a club.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/southampton-starlet-currently-trial-bristol-2431369

Yeah which is fair enough, obviously not going to make it here so he needs to forge a career at some level.

How did he do at Telstar anyway? That's a pretty crap level by all accounts.

Yeah which is fair enough, obviously not going to make it here so he needs to forge a career at some level.

How did he do at Telstar anyway? That's a pretty crap level by all accounts.

Only 2 goals for them. Scored about 300 goals in pre-season for them.

Needs a good run without injury & I think he can score some goals lower down.

Decent article from a local rag, to gather quotes off previous managers for the same thing, if he goes hope he does well. He must be gagging for first team football.

Totally agree. I said above he needs a good spell of being injury free & he will score goals in the EFL.

• 2 weeks later...

@Ryan_Seager: The time has come to leave Southampton FC after 15 years. I have made some great memories one's ill never forget. I'll always look back on my time at the club with pride of what I have achieved knowing that I gave it everything. I wish them all the best for the future.

• 1 month later...