England footballer 'arrested over underage sex allegations'

Twiggy

Statement from Sunderland AFC.

To respect the legal process, Sunderland AFC was unable to comment on this case until after the jury had delivered its verdict. It has now done so and we thank our supporters for their patience and understanding. We now wish to clarify certain matters which arose during the trial.

Mr. Johnson was suspended by the club immediately following his arrest on March 2, 2015. At that time, the club was advised by police of the broad nature of the allegations against Mr. Johnson, who was being advised at all times by his own legal team. The club felt that the decision to suspend was appropriate at that time, even though he had not then been charged with any offence. Two weeks later, his suspension was lifted after a meeting between the club and the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA), and after the club took independent legal advice. The club reached this decision only after carrying out a safeguarding assessment and liaising with relevant agencies.

On 23 April 2015, Mr. Johnson was charged with four offences. The club was informed that it was Mr. Johnson’s intention to defend all the charges, a stance he maintained right up until the first day of trial. The club continued to review the safeguarding procedures it had put in place throughout this time.

On 4 May 2015, an introductory meeting took place between Mr. Johnson, his father and Orlando Pownall QC. Mr. Pownall had not previously met Mr. Johnson. The club’s CEO was present during part of that meeting. During the time that she was present there was no suggestion whatsoever that Mr. Johnson would be changing his plea. Some documents were received relating to the case, which were immediately sent to Mr. Pownall for his attention. However, the club was not in a position to make any judgment on the outcome of the case nor on Mr. Johnson’s decision to defend all the allegations. Following that meeting, Mr. Johnson again confirmed to the club, presumably on advice from his own legal team, that his intention was to defend the charges in their entirety and he was confident of success once all evidence had been considered. He subsequently entered not guilty pleas to all charges on 6 June 2015.

The club did not give evidence either for the prosecution or the defence in this case. It was therefore not present in court when it is understood that a suggestion was made that the club knew all along that Mr. Johnson was intending to change his plea just before trial to enable him to continue to play football for the club and that the club may also have been involved in tactical discussions about the plea. This is utterly without foundation and is refuted in the strongest possible terms. The club never placed any pressure or demands on Mr. Johnson to play football during this process. Decisions in relation to the pleas and the conduct of the trial have been left entirely to Mr. Johnson and his highly experienced and skilled legal team. Mr. Johnson has admitted in evidence that he changed his plea “on legal advice”.

The club only became aware of the change of plea, in relation to two of the four counts on the indictment, on the first day of the trial, after hearing it reported through the media. The club was not advised in advance that Mr. Johnson would plead guilty to any offence. Had the club known that Mr. Johnson intended to plead guilty to any of these charges, then his employment would have been terminated immediately. Indeed, upon learning of the guilty plea on 11 February 2016, the club acted quickly and decisively in terminating Adam Johnson’s contract without notice.

This has been an extremely difficult time for all involved. The victim and her family have endured an unimaginable ordeal in the last 12 months and we trust that they will now be allowed to move on with their lives without further intrusion or public scrutiny.

Following the announcement of today’s verdict and the release of this detailed statement, the club intends to make no further comment.

I see that a Somali bloke has been going around, sexually abusing 15 year olds. Admitted to it and spared jail as he claims he is "culturally" different

Seems fair

Can't say I've seen that story but I suspect there's more to it than that.

http://m.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/Torquay-station-sex-attacker-misunderstood/story-28860974-detail/story.html

The right wing Torquay herald

Just wandering around, sexually assaulting people.... By mistake

Well it seems a little fairer now we can see the whole story. He didn't get off jail because of cultural differences at all, in fact the judge rejected his claim. He wasn't sent to prison as it was better too give him an alternative punishment.

Presumably you posted this to help your argument about controling immigration but this story has nothing to do with it. It doesn't matter where he came from, he would have likely received the same punishment.

'But his mitigation was rejected by the judge who said the offences could not be put down to cultural differences and were simply sexually motivated.

Abdullahi was given a community order and told to attend a sex offender course designed to improve his conduct with young women"

"Judge Cottle said if he sent the defendant, of Beggerswell Close, Bristol, to prison the sentence would be quite short and he would come out an untreated sex offender.

The Thames Valley Sex Offenders Treatment Programme was a demanding course, he said, and would be part of a three-year community order with supervision."

Of course not but bit pointless giving him a prison sentence for it I would have thought. The re-education course was probably the corset course of action.

I personally think that someone who goes around and tries to force themselves on to a few woman (one being child) needs more than re-education...he should be taken off the streets and put inside a for a period of time.....even sent packing to where he came from should he not get sorted

Of course not but bit pointless giving him a prison sentence for it I would have thought. The re-education course was probably the corset course of action.

Sounds like that might make him a little over-excited to me!

On a more serious note, perhaps the re-education course might be better suited for sex offender Adam Johnson? After all, we wouldn't want him going to prison and coming out untreated.

Sounds like that might make him a little over-excited to me!

On a more serious note, perhaps the re-education course might be better suited for sex offender Adam Johnson? After all, we wouldn't want him going to prison and coming out untreated.

I think he'll get a few treats

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

I personally think that someone who goes around and tries to force themselves on to a few woman (one being child) needs more than re-education...he should be taken off the streets and put inside a for a period of time.....even sent packing to where he came from should he not get sorted

Sent packing to where he came from?

Ooh, wonder why you didn't post this story instead?

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/Guilty-Torquay-sex-offender-walks-free-court/story-28390522-detail/story.html

Could it be because this is a British sex offender in Torquay that wasn't imprisoned for his crimes? I wonder where you'd suggest sending him back to?

Ooh, wonder why you didn't post this story instead?

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/Guilty-Torquay-sex-offender-walks-free-court/story-28390522-detail/story.html

Could it be because this is a British sex offender in Torquay that wasn't imprisoned for his crimes? I wonder where you'd suggest sending him back to?

He should be banged up also. If Johnson is (rightly) going down. Then so should these people

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the concurrent sentencing. It is like buy one get one free. It happens a lot. If you are guilty of various offences you should do the actual time for those offences.

I am also surprised that it is only 1 year for grooming. Anyway, it is 6 years so seems reasonable. The ordeal still isn't over for the girl though as he his appealing.

Personally, I think that the sentence is harsh and aimed at setting an example more than anything ! Not saying that he deserves sympathy but individuals with lower public profiles would have certainly gotten a lot less ! The main charge of 'digital penetration' was with consent, only the age of the girl was an issue ! Wrong, wrong, wrong, I accept but a very severe punishment for the actual crime IMHO.

I have just donned my flak jacket in anticipation of serious abuse !

Personally, I think that the sentence is harsh and aimed at setting an example more than anything ! Not saying that he deserves sympathy but individuals with lower public profiles would have certainly gotten a lot less ! The main charge of 'digital penetration' was with consent, only the age of the girl was an issue ! Wrong, wrong, wrong, I accept but a very severe punishment for the actual crime IMHO.

I have just donned my flak jacket in anticipation of serious abuse !

I agree. He shouldnt have done it but she was 15 not 12, it was by consent and there was no 'full' sex. Totally disproportionate imo compared with other crimes. I saw one last week where a guy beat up his ex partner and threatened to kill her, broke her dads jaw; bit and assaulted the police when they turned up and smashed up her car - £120 fine and 12 months supervision order.

I agree. He shouldnt have done it but she was 15 not 12, it was by consent and there was no 'full' sex. Totally disproportionate imo compared with other crimes. I saw one last week where a guy beat up his ex partner and threatened to kill her, broke her dads jaw; bit and assaulted the police when they turned up and smashed up her car - £120 fine and 12 months supervision order.

Agree entirely. People like the one you have just mentioned deserve lengthy spells inside.

Look at the sentence burglars get. That is a calculated, callous, spiteful and destructive crime. And often they get a pathetic sentence.

I have no doubt Johnson is something of a *****. I have no doubt the girl has suffered quite a bit. I reckon the majority of that suffering is a consequence of the media attention though, not having been touched and kissed.

It would have been better for everyone if he had paid her a load of cash and they had never gone to the police.

She took an overdose after giving evidence as well apparently.

She was put under awful pressure. According to her evidence and that of her friends she was really chuffed about her fling with Johnson and showed pictures of him to her friends to prove her story. It got around, parents got to hear about it and the police got involved. The girl for a long time refused to accept there was anything wrong and she had to get special counselling to persuade her she had been abused. When Johnson denied the charges kids at school and on social media starting abusing her really badly calling her a liar. She was then in an impossible position, no matter what she said. Justice is supposed to be about protecting the victim. Being put through wringer, dragged through press and seeing Johnson sent to jail for 6 years - the girl got no justice through this thoughtless process.

Edited by buctootim

Cannot be described as "consent", I think, because she was underage; he was so much older; and he took advantage of his position of influence over her. It's abuse, not consensual.

Cannot be described as "consent", I think, because she was underage; he was so much older; and he took advantage of his position of influence over her. It's abuse, not consensual.

You are right. You cannot "consent" if you are under 16. It is seen as statutory rape if you have sex with someone under 16 even if they agree with the act.

Agree. I never think it's right when judges decide to make examples of people to serve as a deterant to others. Punishment should fit the crime.

It was the same for those riots in 2012. People had the book thrown at them for minor offences just to get headlines.

Agree. I never think it's right when judges decide to make examples of people to serve as a deterant to others. Punishment should fit the crime.

It was the same for those riots in 2012. People had the book thrown at them for minor offences just to get headlines.

There was that teacher last year, who admitted to having sex with a boy from her school on more than numerous occasions. She was not given jail time. It had to take an appeal to get her inside

Guess Johnson is a far more high profile case.... If that makes any difference or not

Edited by Batman

His only crime was taking a break from watching animals being raped, to spend a long period of time grooming so he could have sex with a child.

To this day he is still trying to pressure the victim into some sort of mental breakdown to help him evade jail.

Poor bloke.

Sympathising with a Paedophile. You have no shame.

...The main charge of 'digital penetration' was with consent, only the age of the girl was an issue ! ...

If only he'd stuck to good old analogue penetration, instead of this new-fangled nonsense. He might've got away with it.

TBF, when you read that, Johnson's sentence is disproportionate.

I'm not defending his behaviour but I do think he's being treated much more harshly because of who he is, rather than what he has done !

I think Johnson got what he deserved. But it is clear that the law is weird. How is it females appear to have a greater chance of getting off/more lenient punishments

TBF, when you read that, Johnson's sentence is disproportionate.

I'm not defending his behaviour but I do think he's being treated much more harshly because of who he is, rather than what he has done !

Often it is about how you accept. He showed no remorse and was still acting like a complete co ck in the courtroom.

Had he had been contrite and tried to be kind to his victim rather than trying to torment her he wouldn't have got 6 years

Often it is about how you accept. He showed no remorse and was still acting like a complete co ck in the courtroom.

Had he had been contrite and tried to be kind to his victim rather than trying to torment her he wouldn't have got 6 years

The amount of excuses he has trotted out are breath taking. He doesn't seem prepared to accept any responsibility for his behaviour at all. There are plenty of "arrogant" footballers who do not groom young girls. By his own admission he had plenty of women and cheated on his girlfriend plenty of times. Why then groom a 15 year old? It is a tough sentence but he hasn't done himself any favours.

its about time we sorted the sexual tourists who go to Thailand etc to take part in the rape of a nation. A large amount of those children are well below the age we see as proper consent.

As far as I know only one country has taken any real responsibility for their tourists and that's USA although they constantly push for more involvement from Britain and Germany.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

its about time we sorted the sexual tourists who go to Thailand etc to take part in the rape of a nation. A large amount of those children are well below the age we see as proper consent.

This, absolutely. It's appalling how children are treated in some countries, but it's shameful that our own citizens participate in what is basically child rape.