Player of the year so far?

Pilchards

As we have a break from football for at least a week, who do you think has been our best player so far?

Last year was easy as Lallana was the stand out player all season. So far I will go with Fonte, rarely had a bad game and has been the main reason for us conceding less goals.

In 2nd place it would be Mane followed by Victor.

IMHO nobody else comes near?

Edited by Pilchards

Fonte by a mile.

Others have been consistently good all season (with only a few 'off' games) and generally make a difference when they're on the field:

Clyne

Schneiderlin

Bertrand

Wanyama

Long & Mane have been great additions with fantastic contributions in bursts, but I don't think they've made enough of a consistent difference to the team during the season.

I think it's more likely to be a defensive player, either in the defence or DM, due to our amazing 'goals conceded' record thus far.

Fonte by a mile.

Schneiderlin has gone missing for periods this season and has let himself down with suspensions.

Toby probably would have been closer to winning but really after missing so much of the season through injury...

Wanyama is probably closest for me.

Bertrand has been very good but nowhere near POTS.

Fonte deserves it.

Last time this topic was raised, I went for Clyne. Now I have to go for Mr Consistancy, Jose Fonte.

We haven't been helped by injuries though. Mané or Yoshida fight for most improved over the course of the season IMO.

Fonte by a mile.

Others have been consistently good all season (with only a few 'off' games) and generally make a difference when they're on the field:

Clyne

Schneiderlin

Bertrand

Wanyama

Long & Mane have been great additions with fantastic contributions in bursts, but I don't think they've made enough of a consistent difference to the team during the season.

I think it's more likely to be a defensive player, either in the defence or DM, due to our amazing 'goals conceded' record thus far.

Can't believe long is getting a mention for player if season. He really hadn't done much at all. 12 million?

Can't believe long is getting a mention for player if season. He really hadn't done much at all. 12 million?

Exactly. My remark was a pre-emptive intention to keep him off the list, really. Just in case someone was thinking about it...

Jose has been good but I can't get past that mistake when he passed to rvp for their goal.

I think vic has been consistent, has scored some crucial winners (Swansea and Hull away) so he gets my nod.

Also a shout out for Yoshi I think he's been really good this year.

Big Vic. Awesome presence in midfield and the most improved player in my book - his ball skills and passing are very good now.

Then followed closely by Fonte (great Captains performance) and Reed (superb introduction to the 1st team and a worthy successor to Morgan if he goes IMO).

Impossible to look beyond Fonte. After last year when we all considered we would have to replace him to get someone to play alongside Lovren if we wanted to progress, to this season when he has stepped up and captained the team, put in captains performances week after week and played well with various players next to him.

Jose , has to be in the top 5 Cb's in the league now ! Some achievement consider what we paid !

Will be interesting to see if any of our defence make the PL team of the season. I would hope one to will.

Constantly get frustrated when I hear (normally Talk sport) pundits saying Chelsea have the best defence in the league. Yes maybe over the last few years but this season it's us!

Think Fonte has made mistakes, but so has every centre back in every team this season. Including Toby and Terry. But I love this guy - captain, team leader, team focused, intelligent, charming, tattooed (hmmm). Also very good english.

It will be between him and Mane depending on how well Sadio does in our last 10 games

The most consistent players have been Fonte and Wanyama. Clyne was excellent too but has dropped off recently, whereas Fonte and Wanyama have been good throughout the season. Several other players (Pelle, Tadic, Mane) have had excellent patches but have been poor just as often, and Alderweireld would have a strong claim had he not missed nearly half our matches through injury. Overall I'll say Fonte.

Alderweireld by an absolute bloody mile, look at our form without him.

Fonte has done well, but he's not even in the same stratosphere as Tobes. As for Yoshida being "unsung", people haven't stopped going on about him for the past few weeks!

As a noted Bertrand sceptic, he's been superb too.

Alderweireld by an absolute bloody mile, look at our form without him.

Fonte has done well, but he's not even in the same stratosphere as Tobes. As for Yoshida being "unsung", people haven't stopped going on about him for the past few weeks!

As a noted Bertrand sceptic, he's been superb too.

Whilst I agree that Alderweireld is class, he has missed too many games to be considered POTS imho.

Agree with most on here: Fonte, followed by Wanyama.

Will be interesting to see if any of our defence make the PL team of the season. I would hope one to will.

Constantly get frustrated when I hear (normally Talk sport) pundits saying Chelsea have the best defence in the league. Yes maybe over the last few years but this season it's us!

When we beat United , all the commentators said for 20 mins was "and cleared away by Fonte" really stepped up to the plate I've always liked Jose as a person and as a player but wasn't quite sure how good a captain he'd be!

Wanyama. He's been immense in his primary role of breaking up attacks and breaking attackers, and has added goals to his game as well. He won us six points with winning goals against Swansea and Hull (and what a cheeky goal that was!). His passing has also been a massive improvement on last year, when he could barely play the ball six yards.

As we have a break from football for at least a week, who do you think has been our best player so far?

Last year was easy as Lallana was the stand out player all season. So far I will go with Fonte, rarely had a bad game and has been the main reason for us conceding less goals.

In 2nd place it would be Mane followed by Victor.

IMHO nobody else comes near?

Fonte by a country mile. A real leader and professional. He has improved so much. Its ashame hes 31, how much longer do you think hes got in him?

As for 2nd and 3rd Id go with Victor and Mane/Clyne