Best hatchback (for <£8k)

jawillwill

I need a new (used, obviously) car but am on the above budget.

What do people recommend? I'd like a Golf, but they're pretty pricey so would have to get a lower spec/ older version.

Is a cheaper car like the Seat Leon much inferior - after all, I'd be able to afford I slightly newer version? What are they like to drive? Reliable?

Any other recommendations? What are Peugeots like these days?

• 2 weeks later...

Had my Octavia for 8 years now and it is still going strong. I'd recommend them to anyone. The drive and build quality is volkswagen-esque while the equipment on board is fantastic and for better value for money than its vw/audi relations. I bought it just after its first mot and it hasn't let me down really. The only costly repair so far has been a clutch replacement which happened at 140k miles. It has 177k on the clock now and shows no sign of letting up. Highly recommended.

If you've got a budget of circa £8K you can have pretty much the choice of the current hatchbacks. On some brands you'll have to settle for older or higher mileage examples, but you should be able to find something fairly easily. I've recently been looking at Alfa Guiliettas, Golf Mk6s and Leons. You can easily get one of them for less that £8K, you then need to decide whether you want petrol or diesel and how many miles you are happy for it to have done.

I have an '08 plate Peugeot 207 that I got in early '09. Never gone wrong, and it's not a bad car, but even I admit if I could afford to get something a bit 'cooler', I would. It was the biggest 'small' car on the market (as I believe the 208 is) so it's not quick. If I do chop the car in soon, I'd quite fancy an Octavia or a Focus.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks. I should have explained though. Having been mocked about my Ford ka for the past 5 years by friends, family and strangers alike, I want something a bit less, well, girly. Not sure a Yaris fits that criteria.

Thanks all, ended up getting a Polo in the end. Traditionally I would have thought it was a bit girly, but I actually think the new Polo's look more like a Golf than a Golf these days. Get the keys next week so hopefully will have no regrets!

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks all, ended up getting a Polo in the end. Traditionally I would have thought it was a bit girly, but I actually think the new Polo's look more like a Golf than a Golf these days. Get the keys next week so hopefully will have no regrets!

jawillwill was never heard from again...

• 2 weeks later...