David Connolly retires

Saint137

My favorite Connolly goal was the one against M'Boro, 25 pass goal or similar.

Was a very good player for us in L1 and even in the NPC. So clever and class in his movement and touch, just a shame injuries finally caught up with him. Will always have fond memories of him at Saints.

some people will say .....14 goals in 61 games, not so great, but in his day David Connolly was a class act, and also made a difference to the Irish squad for many seasons, and although he wasn't a stand-out player in every game, few could deny he showed class in quite a few of his Saints' appearances ..and weighed in with a few assists, too.

It's the old story of an injury-prone ageing veteran, who finds 90 minute games just ...a little too much, but nevertheless is still an asset to have on the bench.

Fond memories of a journeyman who DAJFU at a critical time in our progression back up the leagues. Enjoy your retirement David, you had a career to be proud of.

Some of the one touch passing between him, Lallana and Lambert was a joy to watch and at times was so far above League 1 level it was almost embarrassing.

Aside from the goals already mentioned it was the one away at Brentford to put us 2-0 up which is one of my favourites.

It was also good of him to head off down the M27 and spend the twilight of his career by causing them loads of aggro.

Fond memories of a journeyman who DAJFU at a critical time in our progression back up the leagues. Enjoy your retirement David, you had a career to be proud of.

Agree with all this, except calling him a journeyman. He was far from that. A very classy player, who has also tried to continue playing for a few years after many others jack it in (nearly 38).

Anyone rember him hitting a spectacular effort from 30-40 yards out that crashed against the bar? If it went in it would have been a goal le tissier would stick in his top ten! Struggle to remember what game it was in though

Anyone rember him hitting a spectacular effort from 30-40 yards out that crashed against the bar? If it went in it would have been a goal le tissier would stick in his top ten! Struggle to remember what game it was in though

Plymouth away, when we secured promotion to the championship! I remember it as I was glad it didn't go in and ruin my 3-1 Lambert scorecast bet!

Thanks for the memories DC, classy player.

Made the difference at crunch time in L1. One down at Withdean where Brighton hadn't lost all season, flagging in the Easter sun with 10-20 mins to go, DC came on and completely changed the game. Huddersfield had won the day before and, as it turned out, anything less than a win would have ended our automatic promotion chances. Was then MOTM at Brentford and Plymouth, pushing us over the line.

A player that Adkins criminally misused until forced on him (his injuries were overstated), he got the best out of Lallana with his movement and vision and set the scene for our scintillating start in Championship. Ultimately didn't have the pace or power to stop teams squeezing us, especially with Lambert, his contribution was nonetheless very valuable. Also liked that he had an edge and did things his way. Can forgive a brief stint with the skates.

Edited by shurlock

Plymouth away, when we secured promotion to the championship! I remember it as I was glad it didn't go in and ruin my 3-1 Lambert scorecast bet!

Didn't like coming back from the dead that game did he haha?

Agree with all this, except calling him a journeyman.

He was far from that. A very classy player, who has also tried to continue playing for a few years after many others jack it in (nearly 38).

journeyman?..maybe not so appropriate....sounds a bit casual I suppose ( I thought that after having written it ), but having played for 10 clubs in 20 years, and

(never more than 63 games for any one club) ......I guess that sort of categorisation goes with the territory, but not really fair.

I recall seeing someone use " that word " about Rickie Lambert - at the time he signed for us ....:lol: how wrong can one be ?

I'm probably in the minority but I preferred Barnard in League 1. Having said that DC scored some decent goals, not least on his debut at Oldham where he fooled everyone in the ground into thinking he was going one way, then slotted the ball into the opposite corner.

some people will say .....14 goals in 61 games, not so great, but in his day David Connolly was a class act, and also made a difference to the Irish squad for many seasons, and although he wasn't a stand-out player in every game, few could deny he showed class in quite a few of his Saints' appearances ..and weighed in with a few assists, too.

It's the old story of an injury-prone ageing veteran, who finds 90 minute games just ...a little too much, but nevertheless is still an asset to have on the bench.

Was an integral part of our rise .......along with Hammond, Harding, Chaplow, Fox.........yeah enjoy your retirement David Connolly

I remember that. One of the few away games I've made it to!

When he popped up and scored for Wimbledon the other day the first reaction was wow! he is still going despite his regularity in the treatment room when he was with us!!

You have to wonder what not playing league football will do to a chap like him, especially as he has managed to keep himself going for so long.

Enjoy your retirement David.

I remember his debut at Oldham. His signing was very hush-hush, I think Pardew even referenced to keeping him training with them quiet as so not to alert other clubs. When he came on there were a lot of 'who is this?' or 'when did we sign him?' chatter. He had a classy finish to make it 3-1 to us and never really looked back. He had quite a good football IQ in addition to his finishing ability which meant he combined very well with Lallana and Lambert.

i think it was the away game at Plymouth where he was just fantastic and ran the show.

Remember what I think(?) was his first goal for us. No idea who it was against but was a close finish, six yards if that. Completely duped the GK and sent it top corner.

Was a cracking goal and his body shape and technique for that showed how capable he was very early doors for us.

Oldham away. 3-1 win 17/10/09. On as sub and got the 3rd.

Against Plymouth when we clinched promotion and won 3-1. Spectacular effort. Left footed too