Europe almost confirmed?

Saint Matty 76

Great....the Europa cup......just a hinderence.

But should we make it,it's an achievement....of sorts,considering where we could've finished.......bottom three?....or top four with a little ambition.

Anti climax for the end of the season.....unless we can find our shooting boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But should we make it,it's an achievement....of sorts,considering where we could've finished.......bottom three?....or top four with a little ambition.

Anti climax for the end of the season.....unless we can find our shooting boots.

Your expectations are all over the place.

A hinderance to what...? Getting into Europe? Your "logic" is all over the place.

Liverpool/Blackburn v Villa

Arsenal v Bradford/Reading

Providing that Liverpool and Arsenal both get into the final, that would mean 7th position gets a Europa League spot. Therefore even if we do sadly finish in 7th, we'll still be there.

It's the cup winners that count for Europa qualification, not the finalists. As long as Arse/Liverpool win it, 7th gets a spot.

Pretty sure the runner-up still gets it. So if Arsenal beat Villa then it'd still go to them (I think).

No they don't, the rules have changed.

In response to another request by the member associations, the UEFA Executive Committee agreed that the UEFA Club Competitions Committee should make the necessary regulatory changes to allow the best-placed non-qualified domestic championship club to enter the UEFA Europa League from the 2015/16 season, rather than the domestic cup runners-up, should the domestic cup winners also qualify for the UEFA Champions League via the final championship standings.

http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/executive-committee/news/newsid=1999120.html

If we make it we need to replace MS and TA as there both be gone, hold on to the rest and then add 2-3 more players, make sure we qualify from group with 2 games to go so we can rest our best players for them games and forget about 1st team regulars playing in round 3 and 4 of the league cup.

If we get Europa League, I'll be mega excited, regardless what everyone else says.

I've seen us play one tie in Europe in my lifetime

+1.

The same fans moaning about it just being the europa league probably complained about the distraction of the jpt at wembley. It would be a colossal achievement to finish top 4, but the europa would be a pretty damn good consolation if we don't.

Providing that Liverpool and Arsenal both get into the final, that would mean 7th position gets a Europa League spot. Therefore even if we do sadly finish in 7th, we'll still be there.

That's been Koeman's calculation for sometime methinks.

A hindrance? Ridiculous attitude, the Europa League is still a decent competition. What are people expecting. We're not a Champions League club yet. I guess a few will moan about the fixture pile up next season. Personally, I can't wait to see who we draw in the group stages

Liverpool and Arsenal would both be away, not at home. Don't take it as a formality they'll get through.

I'm hoping Blackburn knock out the scousers so I can root for Bradford all the way, otherwise we need Arsenal to get there. Can't stand the idea of Rodgers winning anything.

Liverpool and Arsenal would both be away, not at home. Don't take it as a formality they'll get through.

I'm hoping Blackburn knock out the scousers so I can root for Bradford all the way, otherwise we need Arsenal to get there. Can't stand the idea of Rodgers winning anything.

Think you'll find they're all away technically, with the semi finals being at Wembley.

Hopefully by the time it gets to the Cup Final we will have already qualified for Europe in 6th place or higher. If we can get 19 points from our remaining games then I reckon that should be enough for us to achieve that. I believe Man Utd will get no more than 15 points from their remaining games and they may possibly struggle to even get that much, as they have to play against all of the other top 7 clubs apart from Saints in their remaining fixtures. I can't see them picking up more than two or three points from those games and they can't surely win every one of the other games (including one which is away against Everton). :)

European football would help players like JWP and Harrison Reed in their development .

It's not very often that we've qualified for Europe via our league position , so it'll be a great effort considering the summer we had. Of course it will effect our league position next season and we risk doing an Everton , but it's worth it IMO . Let's face facts , a freak season this year MAY get us a shot at top 4 but realistically our only hope of ever gaining champions league football is winning the Europa league and you have to be in it to win it. Why on earth would anyone not want to qualify for it. I really hope Everton win it this year and qualify for the big one as maybe then English teams will start taking the competition seriously . It would be great if they did so and Liverpool and spurs miss out after not taking the Europa league as seriously as Everton seem to have done .

It's not the champions league but it's a damn good experience for a club like ours .

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

What we don't want is to finish 7th and for Liverpool to play Bradford/Reading in the final. Then we'd need Liverpool to win to get us into Europa :?.

Unless of course you don't want to get into Europa. Or have forgiven and forgotten Brenda. Or are just happy not have been relegated.

I think Europe League would be immense for us.

For a while I thought it would be better to qualify naturally through our league position, but then I guess if 7th is enough due to other factors we have still earned it legitimately.

Some quick maths says we've earned 1.75 points a game so far this season. Which obviously equates to another 17 points from the remaining 10 games.

Of course that's not guaranteed, but it's the best predictor of future returns we have.

Imagine getting to 65 points though. Madness.

Don't write off Stoke of still being a realistic threat to 7th. Of course points in the bag now is better, but their fixtures are kind to them and when they are playing better sides they are at home in the run in

A seven point swing in 10 games will come about more from a pretty significant collapse on our part more than anything Stoke do.

Even if we hobble to just a point a game from now, Stoke need a pretty decent upturn in form to beat us.

Seventh is pretty much ours to be honest.

I still fancy Blackburn to overturn Liverpool at Ewood. While they're not the best team in the Championship, they're far from the worst either and have some decent players. It's the cup, anything can happen and I reckon Blackburn will be well up for it.

Plus I'd love it if Liverpool didn't make the final. But at the expense of us finishing 7th and getting a European place, even if it is the Europa? No. The Europa is a stepping stone in the right direction, as long as we build on it and not put all our eggs in one basket as Everton seemingly have this season.

Unfortunately the fact that anyone (including me) has reservations about being in the Europa League is a sad indictment of that competition, and the mess Uefa have made of it. Even when we qualified in 2003 it was an exciting to be involved. Now, as much as the idea of playing European ties is great, it is tinged with a "could we do without it?" feeling, which should never be the case - as otherwise, as some have alluded to above, what's the point?!

If it happens would we go straight into the league stage or would we need to play a qualifying round ?

If the seventh place qualifies they must play two rounds of qualifying play offs to make the group phase of the Europa League.

The fifth place team and the FA Cup winner both qualify directly for the group phase. If the FA cup winner qualifies for the Champions League, the sixth place team qualifies for the group phase.

Here is a link.

http://kassiesa.net/uefafiles/2015-18-uefa-access-list-explanations.pdf

Edited by Redslo

Unfortunately the fact that anyone (including me) has reservations about being in the Europa League is a sad indictment of that competition, and the mess Uefa have made of it. Even when we qualified in 2003 it was an exciting to be involved. Now, as much as the idea of playing European ties is great, it is tinged with a "could we do without it?" feeling, which should never be the case - as otherwise, as some have alluded to above, what's the point?!

Only problem with it is too many games. Would be better if they split it so there was 3 european competitions (like there used to be?) Champions League, plus one for cup winning bros, plus one for runner up bros or something like that

Only problem with it is too many games. Would be better if they split it so there was 3 european competitions (like there used to be?) Champions League, plus one for cup winning bros, plus one for runner up bros or something like that

I think it would be better to just increase the number of teams playing in the Champions League and drop the second competition.

I think it would be better to just increase the number of teams playing in the Champions League and drop the second competition.

How about if we didn't bother with domestic leagues & cups, and there was just one big worldwide champions league and every team was in it?

Europe almost confirmed!!! Sorry but that is a statement that someone like Brenda or Wedge head would make. There are 10 games (30 pts) to play for. Stoke are on a run and are just 7 pts behind, Swansea just behind them. Now 7 pts in front with 4 games to go, now that is when Europe is almost there, NOT with 10 games to go.

On the flip side, we are just 5 pts from 3rd, so NOTHING is almost confirmed. Anyone who has followed football for a while (seasons) will know that 10 games is a long long time, in which lots of twists and turns can happen.

The fat lady is not even clearing her throat yet. SO much hard work still to be done.

European football would help players like JWP and Harrison Reed in their development .

It's not very often that we've qualified for Europe via our league position , so it'll be a great effort considering the summer we had. Of course it will effect our league position next season and we risk doing an Everton , but it's worth it IMO . Let's face facts , a freak season this year MAY get us a shot at top 4 but realistically our only hope of ever gaining champions league football is winning the Europa league and you have to be in it to win it. Why on earth would anyone not want to qualify for it. I really hope Everton win it this year and qualify for the big one as maybe then English teams will start taking the competition seriously . It would be great if they did so and Liverpool and spurs miss out after not taking the Europa league as seriously as Everton seem to have done .

It's not the champions league but it's a damn good experience for a club like ours .

How would that affect us though? Would 7th then miss out?

I'd LOVE Europa League. Yes, CL would be an amazing achievement but I think in the long run it'd cripple us. We're not ready as a club to be facing the likes of Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. I think, if we're serious about becoming a club that's regularly in the CL, then we need a couple of seasons in the Europa League first to get us used to the 2 games a week schedule, against teams that are more on our level.

I'd LOVE Europa League. Yes, CL would be an amazing achievement but I think in the long run it'd cripple us. We're not ready as a club to be facing the likes of Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. I think, if we're serious about becoming a club that's regularly in the CL, then we need a couple of seasons in the Europa League first to get us used to the 2 games a week schedule, against teams that are more on our level.

You do realise Europa isn't some trial run for the big one? If we get Champions league this season it will be one of the greatest achievements the Premier league has seen. We are unlikely to ever get this close again. If we get Europa then we should enjoy it as much as we can, who knows if we will ever get the opportunity in the future.