Toby

washsaint

It's not new, the bid was put in last tuesday. As far as I'm aware Toby is yet to meet Spurs officials and it is far from a done deal. I have no idea what we are doing but clearly we want him too. This may drag on a while

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

He's on €5m a year at AM. And with their tax laws (the "Beckham" Law) I believe but might be wrong that that equates to a rate of 24.75%. Back of the fag packet maths, converting into Sterling and accounting for a higher tax rate, to earn the same amount, he would need to be paid about £85-90k a week. Spurs can do that. Can we?

Quite possible that we are baulking at paying virtually double the fee that was in the clause last summer.
I think there's a limit we're willing to bid and if Spurs know it then they just bid more. The club will look at it with less emotion than us fans and will take into account his injury record when thinking about a valuation.

If we miss out on him I have faith the club will bring someone else in who can do a job.

Levy has gone over personally to seal the deal. Worst thing is he's a master at negotiating, bet Spurs get him for £12-13m. Looks like that ship has sailed. :(

Ashley Williams anyone? Was talk of Palace making a bid, doubt he'd go to them but to us? Maybe he'd be tempted. Just hope we don't pick up Vlaar (Dutch connection) on a free, decent player but so slow, wouldn't suit us.

I think there's a limit we're willing to bid and if Spurs know it then they just bid more. The club will look at it with less emotion than us fans and will take into account his injury record when thinking about a valuation.

If we miss out on him I have faith the club will bring someone else in who can do a job.

Agree. Would just have prefered him to stay at AM or go to Chelsea over Spurs. If he goes there he will improve their defence a lot.

Levy has gone over personally to seal the deal. Worst thing is he's a master at negotiating, bet Spurs get him for £12-13m. Looks like that ship has sailed. :(

Ashley Williams anyone? Was talk of Palace making a bid, doubt he'd go to them but to us? Maybe he'd be tempted. Just hope we don't pick up Vlaar (Dutch connection) on a free, decent player but so slow, wouldn't suit us.

We have already bid for Juve's Ogbonna apparently.

I imagine our scouts aren't only looking at the BPL for prospective replacements.

We have ourselves to blame for believing we'd get Alderweireld on the cheap. Had we doubled our initial deal in January and bought him, Athletico would have probably accepted our offer. Now we're about to lose out on one of the best players we had play fore us in recent years.

Had Toby not indicated he was interested in joining Spurs, Levy would never be have stepped in and tried to sign him. You just can't believe players saying they want to stay at Saints when they diddle daddle on signing up. Ryan Bertrand is to be congratulated for his instant decision to join the club permanently.

So much for Les Reed's cloud cuckoo land proclamations on contracts. Just a repeat this year of last years delusions.

We have ourselves to blame for believing we'd get Alderweireld on the cheap. Had we doubled our initial deal in January and bought him, Athletico would have probably accepted our offer. Now we're about to lose out on one of the best players we had play fore us in recent years.

Had Toby not indicated he was interested in joining Spurs, Levy would never be have stepped in and tried to sign him. You just can't believe players saying they want to stay at Saints when they diddle daddle on signing up. Ryan Bertrand is to be congratulated for his instant decision to join the club permanently.

So much for Les Reed's cloud cuckoo land proclamations on contracts. Just a repeat this year of last years delusions.

Ryan signed because Chelsea wanted to sell to us. Toby hasnt yet because AM want to see other options. We were never in a position to buy him in January. If we were, i would put my house on us doing so.

Master at negotiating? Got some stunning deals with the Bale money didn't he!? 26 m for Soldado? 16(?)m for Paulinho!

Let's look for a positive - if Toby chooses us over Spurs he'll be an instant hero, an icon of the two-fingered salute to north London yobs and as such should go directly onto the banner - and if he doesn't, Madrid will be paying us compensation, but it'll be coming straight out of Levy's pocket and going into ours.

Let's look for a positive - if Toby chooses us over Spurs he'll be an instant hero, an icon of the two-fingered salute to north London yobs and as such should go directly onto the banner - and if he doesn't, Madrid will be paying us compensation, but it'll be coming straight out of Levy's pocket and going into ours.

Was Mattie the last Saints player to turn Lukewarmspurs down?

This story seems to be rumbling on and on, it looks to me like it will come down to two sums of money and one question of football:

- What are we willing to pay Athletico and does that match other bids?

- What are we willing to pay Toby in wages and is it comparable to other offers?

- What European football can we offer?

I think we will get there on the first one, he is certainly at the upper end of what we can afford but the club have shown in the last few years that 10-15 million is price we are willing to pay.

The second one is tricky, we clearly cannot afford to match his Athletico salary it would smash our wage structure and no doubt trigger massive pay rises for players already on the books who would be pretty hacked off, but I don't think we need to necessarily we just need to get close enough to what other clubs offer that Toby is willing to accept it. It looks to me like his experience at Athletico has left him waiting to join a club where he knows he will play and be wanted and we are the only club who can say that is exactly what you'll get with anything to back it up. So for me if we get within 5-10K of what another comparable club ie spurs offer him then we are in with a chance.

The final question is simple he won't come to us if a club with regular champs league football is in for him but we should be comparable to spurs etc on this regard.

I'm not sure if this has occurred to anyone else but if anyone here knows anything about cut-throat bidding wars sometimes competitors will bid up for something ( or in this case someone) just to get a business competitor to pay up much more than they really want to - just to F8ck them up for other deals down the line. If you watch "Storage Wars" on cable quite often guys bid up stuff they don't want just to empty the other guys pockets for other deals. Maybe Spurs are doing that to make sure we pay top dollar and top wages for Toby- and then not have much left for guys like Gianni or Classie for instance..Its not inconceivable we are doing that to them as well...as I've said earlier its a dirty business...

I'm not sure if this has occurred to anyone else but if anyone here knows anything about cut-throat bidding wars sometimes competitors will bid up for something ( or in this case someone) just to get a business competitor to pay up much more than they really want to - just to F8ck them up for other deals down the line. If you watch "Storage Wars" on cable quite often guys bid up stuff they don't want just to empty the other guys pockets for other deals. Maybe Spurs are doing that to make sure we pay top dollar and top wages for Toby- and then not have much left for guys like Gianni or Classie for instance..Its not inconceivable we are doing that to them as well...as I've said earlier its a dirty business...

Never thought I'd see the bidding practices of 'Storage Wars' applied to the cunning negotiations of the football transfer window.

I guess it is as they say......business is business.

I hope we sign Toby but he's a player moving outside our corporate M.O. of "buy low, sell high."

Following though on the loan deal arrangements made a ton of sense and represented real M.O.-value business.

Paying twice that amount, and possibly more, especially for a player with possible durability issues when squad depth will always be an issue for us, doesn't.

I have faith in the Black Box, so I'm fairly laid-back about this. I just hope it gets sorted soon, one way or the other. I'd rather he didn't go to WHL, though.

I hope we sign Toby but he's a player moving outside our corporate M.O. of "buy low, sell high.".

I don't believe that's our primary objective of signing players at all. I think we want to sign players who will get better and retain value, and Toby fits that bill for us. I think a big attraction to him is not only his outstanding performances for us last season, but also that he can cover several positions (not that I would want him to play anywhere other than centre back for us, but that is a debate for another day, perhaps if he signs).

From the brief ITK snippets I get from people associated with the club: Toby wants to join us, we want him, it depends on the price.

Given that RK said this as well it gives me hope.

Also, it has been stated that we have first refusal to discuss things. As we have taken this up (or seemingly so), anything Levy does is somewhat jumping the gun. But hey ho, this is the transfer window where you never know what/who to believe, so I just wait and see who trots out in a few weeks time.

This is a huge signing for us. Could be very emblematic of our attitude to moving forward, especially given Spurs' interest (a club i think we can and should be better than)

LOLZ! Spurs fans aren't liking the arrogance of some the Saints fans, they may have a point. DT, you're mentioned in here! :lol:

http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/summer-2015-transfer-window-discussion-thread.13285/page-458

Edited by Saint_Ash
spelling

SPurs are a big club

Not in the Arsenal, Liverpool, United bracket but bigger than us.

I could understand it if he went to spurs. IF He did, I would like to think they would pay a price in terms of fee that we simply could not.

Us getting him would be bigger for saints than it would be for spurs and would be one in the eye for them

he is a brilliant, brilliant player. The sort of player we have to sign this summer to keep our push to break into the top 6...if we ever

Would be a good signal if we can get Toby to sign for us, if it is a straight choice for him between Spurs and us as on the pitch they are the team we can overtake. I think the next 5 will be difficult without a cash investment, bigger stadium to make more revenue etc.

The appeal of being in London to the more rounded interested in culture international players cannot be understated either. If you've got money you want nice places to go and despite all the ridiculous 20 years out of date things said about Liverpool, that's a place that is richer than we are in terms of quality places to go, shop, hang-out, so Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd and City, Liverpool, Villa, Everton, Newcastle and even Bournemouth are ahead. Any investors out there want to make Southampton better by investing in some nice (non-chain) restaurants, bars, cafes etc. to make the city more attractive?

Would be a good signal if we can get Toby to sign for us, if it is a straight choice for him between Spurs and us as on the pitch they are the team we can overtake. I think the next 5 will be difficult without a cash investment, bigger stadium to make more revenue etc.

The appeal of being in London to the more rounded interested in culture international players cannot be understated either. If you've got money you want nice places to go and despite all the ridiculous 20 years out of date things said about Liverpool, that's a place that is richer than we are in terms of quality places to go, shop, hang-out, so Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd and City, Liverpool, Villa, Everton, Newcastle and even Bournemouth are ahead. Any investors out there want to make Southampton better by investing in some nice (non-chain) restaurants, bars, cafes etc. to make the city more attractive?

I don't think Bournemouth is really much better than Southampton in terms of things to do.