The Streaming Thread

johnnyboy

Rob Harris‏ @RobHarris

The @premierleague gains High Court order to be able to block servers that stream unauthorised broadcasts of games. The Premier League says for the first time it can "disrupt and prevent the illegal streaming of our matches via IPTV, so-called Kodi, boxes"

Rob Harris‏ @RobHarris

The @premierleague gains High Court order to be able to block servers that stream unauthorised broadcasts of games. The Premier League says for the first time it can "disrupt and prevent the illegal streaming of our matches via IPTV, so-called Kodi, boxes"

Will be interesting to see if their claims actually get backed up in practice. Realistically, they're probably always going to be one step behind.

Rob Harris‏ @RobHarris

Surprised it has taken quite this long. When piracy like this becomes so widespread- people I know with no computer knowledge etc are streaming every single game with ease - the bubble was always going to burst. It probably won't iradicate it completely but I imagine they can have a good go at killing off the easy targets like Sportsmania etc.

Surprised it has taken quite this long. When piracy like this becomes so widespread- people I know with no computer knowledge etc are streaming every single game with ease - the bubble was always going to burst. It probably won't iradicate it completely but I imagine they can have a good go at killing off the easy targets like Sportsmania etc.

They have never managed to kill Pirate Bay. Hoping sportsmania will be as canny.

Quite how a court order here will help them to close overseas based servers I'm not sure. I guess it might lead to them forcing Internet Providers to block access a with Pirate Bay?.

Quite how a court order here will help them to close overseas based servers I'm not sure. I guess it might lead to them forcing Internet Providers to block access a with Pirate Bay?.

That's how I understand it, it will be illegal in the UK for any ISP to allow the streaming. As others have said is remarkable its taken this long.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/10795317/premier-league-granted-court-order-to-stop-streaming-of-games

That's how I understand it, it will be illegal in the UK for any ISP to allow the streaming. As others have said is remarkable its taken this long.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/10795317/premier-league-granted-court-order-to-stop-streaming-of-games

I would expect most people using streaming services do so behind a VPN, so there would be no way of an ISP knowing what a user was downloading. Sure, they might throttle users whose activity looks like they might be streaming live football, but they've no way of proving it, so they run the risk of losing customers who are using perfectly legitimate services, but wish to do so behind a VPN.

The problem is that not every game is available. If having Sky or BT (or heaven forbid, both), meant I could see every game, I'd pay for it and accept that streams were 'undercutting' their product. But they don't, so it's pretty annoying that they can ban people from watching something that wouldn't be available to them anyway.

I know that a few years ago it was standard practice to follow online, on radio, or on teletext, but now I've had the live coverage it will be a bitter pill to swallow to have it taken away!

I would expect most people using streaming services do so behind a VPN, so there would be no way of an ISP knowing what a user was downloading. Sure, they might throttle users whose activity looks like they might be streaming live football, but they've no way of proving it, so they run the risk of losing customers who are using perfectly legitimate services, but wish to do so behind a VPN.

As you say there'd be no way of distinguishing whether they are streaming something illegal or something legal like iPlayer etc.

The only way to resolve the situation as far as I can see is for the premier league to offer a reasonably priced web subscription service, showing all 380 games to compete with the illegal streaming services.

The problem is that not every game is available. If having Sky or BT (or heaven forbid, both), meant I could see every game, I'd pay for it and accept that streams were 'undercutting' their product. But they don't, so it's pretty annoying that they can ban people from watching something that wouldn't be available to them anyway.

I know that a few years ago it was standard practice to follow online, on radio, or on teletext, but now I've had the live coverage it will be a bitter pill to swallow to have it taken away!

Hence why this has come from the premier league and not sky/bt. By streaming 3 o clock games you are effectively undercutting THEIR product by not going to the game. The same reason that 3 o clock games aren't and probably never will be available for tv because they know attendances will drop.

Hence why this has come from the premier league and not sky/bt. By streaming 3 o clock games you are effectively undercutting THEIR product by not going to the game. The same reason that 3 o clock games aren't and probably never will be available for tv because they know attendances will drop.

I suppose so. Question is whether not having the games will make me more likely to go. If it does then can't really complain at the theory. It's not practical for me to get to every (or even lots) of home games though as I don't live in/near Southampton, and watching a buffering stream is hardly a worthy substitute for attending live, so on a personal level I'm not sure it'll make much difference. And then obviously you have away games too.

What they should really do is charge for a TV subcription to watch your team's games, and lower the prices of attending matches. That way revenue would increase AND attendances would stay high.

Remember the old adage "follow the money". I think they will be going after the people behind the organisations that are taking the cash for unlawful streams, if they can find them. Expect to see some obscenely large financial claims lodged in court by the heavy duty City law firms to frighten people off, so you'll end up having to give your credit card details to the Russian or Chinese mafia to buy access.

Sportsmania tweeted this today - they say its nothing to worry about:

"Right this is my 1 and only post about this guys so please refrain from making new ones.

Yes i've seen the news "S*y have permission to try to take down streaming devices,

Will this affect any of the services i run?

No not in the slightest,

As i have said in the past i already have about 10 backup plans.

So hypothetically lets say something on SM/SNHD/UM was blocked what would be the downtime?

Honest answer: about 5 minutes.

Why not longer than 5 minutes? well if i told everyone then it wouldn't be a plan would it but you guys have trusted me for coming up now 5 years and we are still here so stop worrying if there is anything that concerns me you guys will be the 1st to hear it.

Now enjoy the service you pay for and stop worrying and leave that to me and if i'm not worrying neither should you!"

I have Sky, BT & a ST. I go to about 10 away games a year. I use kodi to watch about half a dozen away games that I don't go to or aren't on sky/bt. If those games were on via legal subscription I'd buy it. The premier league need to move into the 21st century . I very much doubt attendances will be affected by putting every game on live via a subscription . Games on tv are sell outs week in week out & people watch streams and watch sky , why would that change and start affecting live attendances ? Banning streams won't make people go to games , because they'd have gone if they're wanted to or could of anyway rather than watch a stream. I doubt there's one person who'll say " now it's not streamed, I'll go to the game " .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

If people want to stream PL games, they will always be there. Ultimate Mania/Sports Mania have been disconnected by their 'hosts' numerous times, but they are setup with a new host in a matter of minutes. And as is mentioned, as long as you are behind a VPN then there is very little an ISP can do. (well, they could block VPN's or throttle traffic - but this will hit everyone, not just streamers - so not exactly fair) Also the sources and hosting locations for Sports Mania/Ultimate mania are all over the world, so don't fall under UK law.

The setups for streaming is so advanced now, it's a far cry from finding a link on a popup ridden site - so it's going to be near on impossible to close it out. They tried with pirate bay and torrent sites, that never went away.

I have Sky, BT & a ST. I go to about 10 away games a year. I use kodi to watch about half a dozen away games that I don't go to or aren't on sky/bt. If those games were on via legal subscription I'd buy it. The premier league need to move into the 21st century . I very much doubt attendances will be affected by putting every game on live via a subscription . Games on tv are sell outs week in week out & people watch streams and watch sky , why would that change and start affecting live attendances ? Banning streams won't make people go to games , because they'd have gone if they're wanted to or could of anyway rather than watch a stream. I doubt there's one person who'll say " now it's not streamed, I'll go to the game " .

The price of Sky is just ridiculous, it's unjustifiable and people need to boycott it as they have a monopoly and it's wrong. Same with BT Sport if you don't have BT Broadband, heck even their sales pitch of it being free if you had broadband has now gone....so everyone has to pay for it. I used to pay £90 odd per month for Sky and I don't know why I did, i must have been mental. Get yourself a freesat box, an Android box and do away with your subscriptions. There's more content available for free than there is on sky.

The reason 3pm games aren't shown has nothing to do with Premier League games, they know very well that attendances would hardly be affected. But attendances at lower league clubs would be affected, and they depend on gate receipts far more than PL teams do.

Somebody already disrupts these streams. Everytime I'm watching and Saints are about to have a shot, one of Sky's trained gimps seems to start jabbing their keyboard. This results in my stream freezing for a few seconds and then resuming just in time to miss the replays and watch the opposition keeper take his goal kick.

Somebody already disrupts these streams. Everytime I'm watching and Saints are about to have a shot, one of Sky's trained gimps seems to start jabbing their keyboard. This results in my stream freezing for a few seconds and then resuming just in time to miss the replays and watch the opposition keeper take his goal kick.

Tell me about it!

Whilst watching the second leg of the EFL semi-final at Anfield recently my stream was very unstable, stuttering and buffering loads. Into stoppage time and Liverpool get a corner, and as their man is walking over to take it the stream froze for what seemed like an eternity. I also had Bet365 open in another tab following the game, and while staring at the frozen image, I heard the sound effect it plays whenever a goal is scored in the game you are following. My heart sank!

I clicked on the Bet365 tab to have a look and it took me a few seconds to register that it was us who had scored and not Liverpool. Then my stream decided to unfreeze just as Shlong was being swamped by his team-mates. I still couldn't quite believe what had just happened - it was surreal.

Have you thought of raising a complaint with the illegal streaming ombudsman? Poor service indeed.

Tell me about it!

Whilst watching the second leg of the EFL semi-final at Anfield recently my stream was very unstable, stuttering and buffering loads. Into stoppage time and Liverpool get a corner, and as their man is walking over to take it the stream froze for what seemed like an eternity. I also had Bet365 open in another tab following the game, and while staring at the frozen image, I heard the sound effect it plays whenever a goal is scored in the game you are following. My heart sank!

I clicked on the Bet365 tab to have a look and it took me a few seconds to register that it was us who had scored and not Liverpool. Then my stream decided to unfreeze just as Shlong was being swamped by his team-mates. I still couldn't quite believe what had just happened - it was surreal.

I managed to watch a perfect HD stream of the Haye Bellew fight on Saturday, including all the undercard fights without a hiccup, right up until the 11th round and the exact moment Bellew sent Haye through the ropes and Haye's team threw the towel in :x refreshed the stream to see the celebrations

sounds like things will be ok for Sportsmania users if the owner is to be believed. But maybe time to get behind a VPN. What are people using? Any good free ones?

Excuse my ignorance but, what's a VPN ?

Excuse my ignorance but, what's a VPN ?

Virtual Private Network. Means you can create a virtual network - internet link if you like - with an IP address that can be quite literally random and can be made to look like you are anywhere in the world. Also means no one can look in to your link to see what data you are transferring. Businesses use it all the time to secure their data from the outside world.

I trust Willow, SportsMania and the paid for add ons will be fine, I think the free ones will be the ones they shut down and they will be searching for there own product first, so I am sure they will be finding the skysports and bt streams on free ad ons first.

Virtual Private Network. Means you can create a virtual network - internet link if you like - with an IP address that can be quite literally random and can be made to look like you are anywhere in the world. Also means no one can look in to your link to see what data you are transferring. Businesses use it all the time to secure their data from the outside world.

Wow thanks, that went straight over my head !!!

I will just hope things stay as they are with my head buried in the sand !

Watch the video below and subscribe to this guys channel on Youtube. He has posted lots of videos on Kodi and knows allv the tricks to get around blocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2fouSrRr7A&t=38s

I've just begun a 7 day free trial of UNLOCATOR

https://unlocator.com/

Togetherwith a good VPN there is little that gets blocked. I\m really impressed with Unlocator which can be set up in minutes and unlike VPNs you don't need to change countries

I know they are being all hush...hush about what technology they will be using....

But I remember something a while back that Cisco acquired

FRIEND MTS

https://torrentfreak.com/cisco-develops-system-automatically-cut-off-pirate-video-streams-161021/

As they have been boasting that they can stop streams in real-time... which you have been missing goals, as the streams run around 1-2 mins behind.

So you will have problems if you use BT, Sky, Virgin TalkTalk, basically the top 9 ISP's in the country, and maybe a VPN will help you.

so we'll see what happens at 3pm today....

Plenty of APK to replace Kodi on Android devices, SportsMania even have their own as well as compatible with Matrix TV Browser.

If you are still using Kodi on an Android device would recommend changing to SPMC, looks and works same as Kodi to the naked eye, developed by same people but Android specific and proven to be more stable than Kodi on these devices.

Kodi still required for those non Android devices thou..

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Ok so we are going to go with the domain switch,

New domain name is http://sportsmania.rocks,

ANYTHING you see with http://sportsmania.eu will no longer be us,

Now here's where we need your help guys.

If you were brought here by lets say a forum, Facebook page, Twitter, club chat site etc etc etc then help us out by telling them the new domain and also here's what now is going to be a long day for myself and the staff:

We are gonna need to do the following:

1) Update the Kodi addons (first on my list)

2) Update the apps

3) Update the sites urls

So while we do this if you can help us so we can do everything a lot quicker then that be great.

I think it's more that the Premier League and its clubs make millions from selling the broadcasting rights to Sky, BT etc, who in turn make millions from the mugs who sign up. Once people realise they can see more games free than are available for their subscriptions - as is happening - then the business model begins to look shaky.

The point somebody else about lower league attendances being affected by 3:00 games being shown live is also a good one.

While football has benefited from Sky's millions in terms of infrastructure, and top players have benefited beyond imagination, it would be good to go back to a simpler age where budgets largely depended on how many people you could attract through the gates.

Surely many of us wish only to see Saints games, if Saints are home we go to watch live - if local - if Saints are away we watch where/how/when we can and if all else fails we listen on Solent?

A Sky day pass is £5.99 when we are on. If they screened on demand all matches as others have said at £6 a match of course we'd all sign up for the away games and they'd make nigh on £120 per household that very probably they are never going to get. No way will I subscribe to the greedy fat sharks that seek to screw the very section of society that is least able to afford it when all they offer most of the time are the darlings of London and the North West.

So I did a quick early check on Kodi just now and Sportsmania working for the Liverpool match. Was expecting to have to change something but all is the same as before, easy as pie. Take THAT, copyright law!

Sportsmania Rocks!