Male domestic abuse victims

Coxford_lou

Jeez !!! I remember seeing a video on FB where someone set up a woman beating a man up in public and no-one batted an eyelid, if anything they stopped, watched and just laughed. Domestic abuse of any kind is wrong.

Anyone been watching the documentry on violent children ? Some of the kids on there are just out of control.

An ex-work colleague – one of the nicest-natured blokes I've ever met – was a victim of domestic abuse. He was hospitalised for a week with a damaged kidney following one attack – told people he'd fallen against a water pipe. Yet, despite everything, he thought the world of his wife, so, apart from an emotional moment one day after a few drinks with me and another couple of mates down the pub, kept the whole sorry business to himself.

An ex-work colleague – one of the nicest-natured blokes I've ever met – was a victim of domestic abuse. He was hospitalised for a week with a damaged kidney following one attack – told people he'd fallen against a water pipe. Yet, despite everything, he thought the world of his wife, so, apart from an emotional moment one day after a few drinks with me and another couple of mates down the pub, kept the whole sorry business to himself.

That's horrific. I also know a guy who experienced similar. People don't take it seriously because they can't believe some physically bigger could be bullied. It's a real issue.

My first wife used to call the police when we argued, which was frequently, and they used to take me away. When I said that I was the injured party they just said sorry mate but when there a children involved they always remove the husband in domestics. On one occasions my mother in law attacked me, cutting my arm with keys she held in her hand. This was because I was on the phone to my mother and they had come back looking for accommodation as my ex was going to move out. I think they wanted to use the phone and caused a "fracas." Despite the fact that I had done nothing I was arrested and spend the night in the nick. My ex punched me in the face on one occasion but I was lucky. She treated her first husband so badly that he killed himself. I didn't find out the truth about him until after my marriage broke down and only then from his family.

I was lucky, I had clothes torn or thrown out of the bedroom window. My dog was given away behind my back. I only had mental trauma and ended up with The Priory for several months. It could have been worse.

Domestic violence is terrible but it is not all one way traffic. I felt too embarrassed to say anything about the way I was being treated and I am sure many men feel the same. I agree that it is mainly men causing violence against women but not always. The posters you see all over the place about DV ought to be changed to make the point that all DV is wrong, no matter who perpetrates it.

My ex was prosecuted for assault and threatening behaviour - not because I reported it but the neighbours did. I then lied in court to get her off the charge of assaulting me. Why? because if she was convicted she would have lost her job as a teacher and who would have ended up paying her more in maintenance? me - which would have meant I couldnt afford a house for the kids. The system stinks.

Edited by buctootim

Men need to be encouraged to come forward and talk about their experiences and DV needs to be dealt with as a cross gender issue.

I was arrested 3 times and spent three separate nights in a police cell in Eastbourne. Not because I had done anything in terms of breaking the law, but because I was the male in a DV incident. How can that be right?

That's horrific. I also know a guy who experienced similar. People don't take it seriously because they can't believe some physically bigger could be bullied. It's a real issue.

This is exactly why sexism is also as bad for men as it is women.

Ideas of what makes a man, or what makes a woman help no-one. 'Men' don't get abused by women, which is daft as there is examples right here of it happening. People don't talk about it enough as A) Men don't like to admit to it, as they feel it doesn't make them a real man, and B) They aren't taken seriously, for mostly the same reasons.

Edit: SoG's post above highlights this too. The sexist society we live in is bad for everyone, Men & Women, Boys & Girls.

This is exactly why sexism is also as bad for men as it is women.

Ideas of what makes a man, or what makes a woman help no-one. 'Men' don't get abused by women, which is daft as there is examples right here of it happening. People don't talk about it enough as A) Men don't like to admit to it, as they feel it doesn't make them a real man, and B) They aren't taken seriously, for mostly the same reasons.

Edit: SoG's post above highlights this too. The sexist society we live in is bad for everyone, Men & Women, Boys & Girls.

I wouldn't say we live in a sexist society. I would call Saudi Arabia a sexist society.

No doubt improvements need to be made, but society as a whole (in this country at least) has come a long way since even the 90s. Looking back at what was acceptable in the 70s & 80s, is laughably different. Things will change gradually for the good, but there won't be a sea-change overnight. It's just important that we keep heading in the right direction with education and awareness. Applies the same to all prejudices, racism, sexual orientation etc. etc.

I wouldn't say we live in a sexist society. I would call Saudi Arabia a sexist society.

No doubt improvements need to be made, but society as a whole (in this country at least) has come a long way since even the 90s. Looking back at what was acceptable in the 70s & 80s, is laughably different. Things will change gradually for the good, but there won't be a sea-change overnight. It's just important that we keep heading in the right direction with education and awareness. Applies the same to all prejudices, racism, sexual orientation etc. etc.

This is a really common, and effective way to hold up anything.

"Why do you care about this, when this is worse".

I've never once insinuated the UK is the worst society in the world, but that doesn't mean it isn't a sexist society all the same. No doubting you are correct in saying we have come a long way, but that doesn't mean there isn't still a long way to go. All that can still be true without saying "why moan about 'x' when 'y' is worse".

As is highlighted there is still institutional sexism rife is this country. There is anecdotal evidence of a fraction of it right here on this thread, against men no less! We do still live in a very sexist society, yes some of the more obvious barriers have come down, but to ignore some of the (only slightly) more behind the scenes stuff that is so pervasive and the effects of sexist attitudes that are all around us is daft too. As I said, it's bad for everyone, men and women. Laws may have changed, but people's attitudes and behaviours still lag behind, and complacency will do nothing to make things better for everyone.

This is a really common, and effective way to hold up anything.

"Why do you care about this, when this is worse".

I've never once insinuated the UK is the worst society in the world, but that doesn't mean it isn't a sexist society all the same. No doubting you are correct in saying we have come a long way, but that doesn't mean there isn't still a long way to go. All that can still be true without saying "why moan about 'x' when 'y' is worse".

As is highlighted there is still institutional sexism rife is this country. There is anecdotal evidence of a fraction of it right here on this thread, against men no less! We do still live in a very sexist society, yes some of the more obvious barriers have come down, but to ignore some of the (only slightly) more behind the scenes stuff that is so pervasive and the effects of sexist attitudes that are all around us is daft too. As I said, it's bad for everyone, men and women. Laws may have changed, but people's attitudes and behaviours still lag behind, and complacency will do nothing to make things better for everyone.

Nothing is perfect, there is always things that could be better or could be changed and we should always strive to be a better and more tolerant society. People like you though want to make out there is some huge problem when actually it's probably the best it has ever been. I think Sexism exists in England but I don't think we are a Sexist society just like racism exists but we aren't a racist society either.

Nothing is perfect, there is always things that could be better or could be changed and we should always strive to be a better and more tolerant society. People like you though want to make out there is some huge problem when actually it's probably the best it has ever been. I think Sexism exists in England but I don't think we are a Sexist society just like racism exists but we aren't a racist society either.

We weren't exactly at a great starting point for that though, were we? I agree, things have been worse but as you say yourself we should not stop striving to push for things to be improved for all.

As for your last sentence, I would, unsurprisingly, disagree. I actually think as a society racism is getting worse, and more overt. There's a certain group of people I would blame for this, who are making people feel racism is once more acceptable. I think our society is both inherently racist and sexist. Until we can change that, which I am fully aware is extremely unlikely, sexism and racism are never going to be eradicated. You are never going to stop bigots, who hold racist/sexist views, there will be unpleasant people with crappy views. If we could change the society to make the pervasive opinions that effect everyone, and improve education I think we could go a long way to make life better for a lot of people.

We weren't exactly at a great starting point for that though, were we? I agree, things have been worse but as you say yourself we should not stop striving to push for things to be improved for all.

As for your last sentence, I would, unsurprisingly, disagree. I actually think as a society racism is getting worse, and more overt. There's a certain group of people I would blame for this, who are making people feel racism is once more acceptable. I think our society is both inherently racist and sexist. Until we can change that, which I am fully aware is extremely unlikely, sexism and racism are never going to be eradicated. You are never going to stop bigots, who hold racist/sexist views, there will be unpleasant people with crappy views. If we could change the society to make the pervasive opinions that effect everyone, and improve education I think we could go a long way to make life better for a lot of people.

Depends what you mean by society I suppose. Of course you will never eradicate Sexism or racism and you have unrealistic expectations if you think that. My experience and the experience I have talking to many others from all different ethnic backgrounds (including my fiancee whose dad is from Iraq) is that in general the vast majority of people are accepting and tolerant.

Your description of Britain as a Sexist, racist and I presume homophobic, intolerant hellhole is not something I or anyone else I know recognises.

Yes we should look to create a more equal and tolerant society but that isn't done by grossly over-exaggerating the issues.

Ask any Polish person why they have come here and almost all of them will talk about our tolerant accepting society. I know this because part of my dissertation was about this.

Edited by hypochondriac

Depends what you mean by society I suppose. Of course you will never eradicate Sexism or racism and you have unrealistic expectations if you think that. My experience and the experience I have talking to many others from all different ethnic backgrounds (including my fiancee whose dad is from Iraq) is that in general the vast majority of people are accepting and tolerant.

Your description of Britain as a Sexist, racist and I presume homophobic, intolerant hellhole is not something I or anyone else I know recognises.

Yes we should look to create a more equal and tolerant society but that isn't done by grossly over-exaggerating the issues.

Ask any Polish person why they have come here and almost all of them will talk about our tolerant accepting society. I know this because part of my dissertation was about this.

When did I describe Britain as a hellhole? Or is levelling any criticism of something equivalent to saying it is completely awful?

When did I describe Britain as a hellhole? Or is levelling any criticism of something equivalent to saying it is completely awful?

Any opinion on the rest of it? Feel free to remove the word hellhole if you disagree with it but that's how I'd describe a country that is so openly racist Sexist and homophobic and where it is such a massive pervasive problem over the whole of society.

Any opinion on the rest of it? Feel free to remove the word hellhole if you disagree with it but that's how I'd describe a country that is so openly racist Sexist and homophobic and where it is such a massive pervasive problem over the whole of society.

Why? If you are intentionally going to misrepresent what I'm saying I don't see the point of continuing a discussion in bad faith.

As I've just said to Bear there are plenty of people that have expressed concerns that racism is on the rise again, after a prolonged period of improvement in that area.

Plenty of others have expressed the complete opposite. I mean we're hardly in the realms of civil rights from the 60s or love thy neighbour are we?

Ah point proven. No intention of discussing in good faith, so this is pointless.

Your only argument seems to hinge on, "Things could be worse, be thankful for what you have and shut up".

Why? If you are intentionally going to misrepresent what I'm saying I don't see the point of continuing a discussion in bad faith.

As I've just said to Bear there are plenty of people that have expressed concerns that racism is on the rise again, after a prolonged period of improvement in that area.

I considered the UK you described to be hellish and not a UK that I recognise in any way. These people who have stated that racism is getting worse, for how long do they reckon it has been getting worse? At what point was it agreed by all that it was getting better and when in your opinion did it change again? Does this apply to homophobia and Sexism too or are they separate cases? Have we seen a rise of racism in the media? How is this characterised? Genuinely interested in your responses.

Edited by hypochondriac

Ah point proven. No intention of discussing in good faith, so this is pointless.

Your only argument seems to hinge on, "Things could be worse, be thankful for what you have and shut up".

No my argument is "things have improved dramatically and are currently better than at any other point in human history. Sexism and racist still exist in society but human nature means that they will never be totally eradicated. People from other European countries cite the tolerance they find here as the primary reason for moving here. We should be thankful for the work that has been achieved in this area and that the cast majority of UK citizens are now tolerant and accepting of others. We can also recognise that we can always do better and that despite the fantastic progress that has been made there is always a need to keep learning and improving things as a society."

So my message is actually a nice positive one. We have done brilliantly in eradicating most of the overt and most offensive forms of racism and Sexism such as denying women the vote, rights for black people etc. We are the most tolerant and accepting society that has ever lived in the UK and if we continue along our current path with education and legislation, we should continue to see racists and Sexists becoming even more of a minority in the future. I have faith that we will continue to do this because of all the hugely positive changes we have seen in just the last twenty years. There is no reason to think imo that we will see any dramatic reversals in this area. Certainly I have never seen any evidence.

Edited by hypochondriac

Men need to be encouraged to come forward and talk about their experiences and DV needs to be dealt with as a cross gender issue.

I was arrested 3 times and spent three separate nights in a police cell in Eastbourne. Not because I had done anything in terms of breaking the law, but because I was the male in a DV incident. How can that be right?

Sorry to hear about your experiences and also those of Buctootim as well. Terrible. Makes me realise how lucky I am to be in a safe and happy marriage of a few years now. One of my friends left his wife after she punched him in the face during arguments - and they were proper punches too. Must be awful when someone you meet and fall for is effectively acting during the early stages of your relationship and then turns on you.

DV is terrible both ways but I do think the feminist movement could do more to highlight DV both ways and to campaign for hefty measures against ALL those who carry out violence and abuse irrespective of gender, creed and culture. Got to feel sorry for any kids involved as well, must damage them for the years and relationships ahead in some cases.

KRG, what exactly is it you want? No sexism at all? As pointed out, that is unrealistic and probably never going to happen.

All we can really expect is to try and get the overall majority of attitudes to change. This is what is happening, but you can't expect a dramatic change of attitude when you've had 100s of years learned behavior instilled in people. All you can do is gradually educate and change people, so generation after generation it becomes better.

Society has to evolve gradually. When you enforce massive change on society it doesn't bode well and usually sets that society back (look at Communism for an example, or any sort of Dictatorship for that matter).

KRG, what exactly is it you want? No sexism at all? As pointed out, that is unrealistic and probably never going to happen.

All we can really expect is to try and get the overall majority of attitudes to change. This is what is happening, but you can't expect a dramatic change of attitude when you've had 100s of years learned behavior instilled in people. All you can do is gradually educate and change people, so generation after generation it becomes better.

Society has to evolve gradually. When you enforce massive change on society it doesn't bode well and usually sets that society back (look at Communism for an example, or any sort of Dictatorship for that matter).

Agreed, KRG needs a good slap, someone tell his wife!

Your opening gambit sounds as though you are mocking me for wanting no sexism at all? Is that such a bad thing? Of course I want there to be no sexism.

If you bothered to read my posts, you would see I acknowledge you are never going to completely eradicate sexist views.

Further proof you haven't bothered to read anything I have said, my entire point is about changing people's attitudes. As I have said on other threads, I do think the overwhelming majority of people are reasonable, decent folk. However, it is perfectly possible for pleasant people to hold prejudiced views and act in harmful ways without any intention to do so. Again, something I have said before is that if people are encouraged to examine and look at some of their own views and behaviours, we could make some really positive changes for everyone.

Evidenced by this thread, there is clearly a bias in society that views men can't be the sufferers of domestic violence or abuse. This is deeply damaging to men who do suffer from abuse or violence at the hands of their partners. If we as a society changed the way we viewed this, this could have a massively positive impact on the lives of men who are victims in this way. This is one tiny, that's not to say insignificant, example of sexist views in society that harm people. These can be found everywhere.

I'm not at any stage calling for a mass change in society to be forced upon anyone, but hey let's throw in some false equivalence. Because asking for people to examine their views is totes equal to the implementation of an Authoritarian/Fascist regime right?

Your opening gambit sounds as though you are mocking me for wanting no sexism at all? Is that such a bad thing? Of course I want there to be no sexism.

If you bothered to read my posts, you would see I acknowledge you are never going to completely eradicate sexist views.

Further proof you haven't bothered to read anything I have said, my entire point is about changing people's attitudes. As I have said on other threads, I do think the overwhelming majority of people are reasonable, decent folk. However, it is perfectly possible for pleasant people to hold prejudiced views and act in harmful ways without any intention to do so. Again, something I have said before is that if people are encouraged to examine and look at some of their own views and behaviours, we could make some really positive changes for everyone.

Evidenced by this thread, there is clearly a bias in society that views men can't be the sufferers of domestic violence or abuse. This is deeply damaging to men who do suffer from abuse or violence at the hands of their partners. If we as a society changed the way we viewed this, this could have a massively positive impact on the lives of men who are victims in this way. This is one tiny, that's not to say insignificant, example of sexist views in society that harm people. These can be found everywhere.

I'm not at any stage calling for a mass change in society to be forced upon anyone, but hey let's throw in some false equivalence. Because asking for people to examine their views is totes equal to the implementation of an Authoritarian/Fascist regime right?

You really are one angry, jumped up little internet warrior aren't you?! I wasn't accusing you, I was asking a question to continue the debate. Of course, anyone with low self-esteem would see that as a dig and go on a massive rant...

Can I ask what you are doing personally to help the eradication of sexism? Or are you just working on aggressive posturing on message boards instead and trying to appear holier than thou?

Massive sense of humour failure with regards to iansums comment too. You've spent too much time trying to blow smoke up the asses of forum no-marks like Coxford Lou and lapping up the compliments. Take a look at yourself.

You really are one angry, jumped up little internet warrior aren't you?! I wasn't accusing you, I was asking a question to continue the debate. Of course, anyone with low self-esteem would see that as a dig and go on a massive rant...

Can I ask what you are doing personally to help the eradication of sexism? Or are you just working on aggressive posturing on message boards instead and trying to appear holier than thou?

Massive sense of humour failure with regards to iansums comment too. You've spent too much time trying to blow smoke up the asses of forum no-marks like Coxford Lou and lapping up the compliments. Take a look at yourself.

Yes, it's totally me that sounds like the angry, aggressive internet warrior here.

Have a nice weekend.

:lol: very very well said Mikey.

Sorry to hear about your experiences and also those of Buctootim as well. Terrible. Makes me realise how lucky I am to be in a safe and happy marriage of a few years now. One of my friends left his wife after she punched him in the face during arguments - and they were proper punches too. Must be awful when someone you meet and fall for is effectively acting during the early stages of your relationship and then turns on you.

DV is terrible both ways but I do think the feminist movement could do more to highlight DV both ways and to campaign for hefty measures against ALL those who carry out violence and abuse irrespective of gender, creed and culture. Got to feel sorry for any kids involved as well, must damage them for the years and relationships ahead in some cases.

It was a bit like living in a parallel universe. To be told by the Sussex policy that it was policy to remove the male when children are involved is just so wrong. If the perpetrator of any violence is the female why would you leave the children with her?

I have seen many posters around Kent about DV and they all deal with male violence against females. Concerned parties really need to deal with DV across the board as you say.

It was a bit like living in a parallel universe. To be told by the Sussex policy that it was policy to remove the male when children are involved is just so wrong. If the perpetrator of any violence is the female why would you leave the children with her?

I have seen many posters around Kent about DV and they all deal with male violence against females. Concerned parties really need to deal with DV across the board as you say.

Whilst I agree with you, what they need to do is deal with it proportionally and my guess (based on no research admittedly) is that male perpetrators of domestic abuse are much higher and thus more is done about it.

I was told by a police officer friend that actually the highest proportion of domestic violence is dished out by male homosexuals against their partners yet you rarely hear about that.

I'd agree with that. I reckon Kelvin is trying a little tooooooo much.

I don't have the figures either but know from work that there is a higher rate of violence against women than against men. I am not sure about the homosexual figures but I didn't used to come across many of those at the CPS - perhaps it is a regional thing?

Either way all DV should be treated as an issue. I have just seen the article that Lou started the thread with. I agree that men are more likely to carry out violence than women but when you see something like that you realise that anyone is capable of doing the most appalling things to their partners.

I don't have the figures either but know from work that there is a higher rate of violence against women than against men. I am not sure about the homosexual figures but I didn't used to come across many of those at the CPS - perhaps it is a regional thing?

Either way all DV should be treated as an issue. I have just seen the article that Lou started the thread with. I agree that men are more likely to carry out violence than women but when you see something like that you realise that anyone is capable of doing the most appalling things to their partners.

I listened to a radio programme about it one time as well I think on five live. Apparently about 70 percent of homosexuals have said they have been a victim of domestic violence in some form but within their culture it's never reported.

Of course all domestic violence is bad and should be tackled, all I'm saying is I can see why the vast majority of adverts and helplines about it are female- simply because they are the group most at risk.

I listened to a radio programme about it one time as well I think on five live. Apparently about 70 percent of homosexuals have said they have been a victim of domestic violence in some form but within their culture it's never reported.

Of course all domestic violence is bad and should be tackled, all I'm saying is I can see why the vast majority of adverts and helplines about it are female- simply because they are the group most at risk.

It is so important for people to come forward and report these incidents. Without the stats it just makes dealing with these issues even harder.

He means that lots of posters have flocked to you because you claim to be a woman. Has happened a few times on here tbf.

Ah, OK. Funny because it sounded a bit like an insult, but that couldn't possibly be the case if all I've done is be here. Must be my misunderstanding!

Ah, OK. Funny because it sounded a bit like an insult, but that couldn't possibly be the case if all I've done is be here. Must be my misunderstanding!

It means you aren't really anything special but some people act like you are due to the fact that you purport to be female. Whether you find that insulting I suppose is dependent upon how high an opinion you have of yourself.

It means you aren't really anything special but some people act like you are due to the fact that you purport to be female. Whether you find that insulting I suppose is dependent upon how high an opinion you have of yourself.

It's so sweet how you answer for Mikey! You're obviously such a lovely guy.

Thankfully I won't have to meet you so you will just have to weirdly assess my personality based on a few words on a board.

Its not hard to figure out that you're a massive tw*t, to be honest. "Based on a few words" - you do realise you have 23,000 posts on here? You post on virtually every thread, seemingly an expert in everything. And its wholly predictable ******** that you post. Why cant you just find something else to do rather than feel you have to provide an opinion about EVERYTHING, even when you obviously don't even have a clearly thought out opinion? "Thankfully I wont have to meet you".....are you being serious? You think you're the one who has got the good deal out of that? You're deluded, much like you were deluded when you posted on here pretending to be your own girlfriend. Thats not weird at all, is it?

In summary, you're a tedious, predictable f*ckwit who desperately tries to show off in front of other forum members and you had to pretend to have a girlfriend.

Hi Saint Mikey,

Whats a forum no-mark?

Thanks,

Coxford_lou.

Urban Dictionary:

No mark: Also commonly used in Merseyside to describe an underacheiver, with no friends, no ambition, no job, but who often has illusions that he is someone or thinks he's important.

Urban Dictionary:

No mark: Also commonly used in Merseyside to describe an underacheiver, with no friends, no ambition, no job, but who often has illusions that he is someone or thinks he's important.

Anyone who calls up the the urban dictionary as a source is some sort of cnt though.

Its not hard to figure out that you're a massive tw*t, to be honest. "Based on a few words" - you do realise you have 23,000 posts on here? You post on virtually every thread, seemingly an expert in everything. And its wholly predictable ******** that you post. Why cant you just find something else to do rather than feel you have to provide an opinion about EVERYTHING, even when you obviously don't even have a clearly thought out opinion? "Thankfully I wont have to meet you".....are you being serious? You think you're the one who has got the good deal out of that? You're deluded, much like you were deluded when you posted on here pretending to be your own girlfriend. Thats not weird at all, is it?

In summary, you're a tedious, predictable f*ckwit who desperately tries to show off in front of other forum members and you had to pretend to have a girlfriend.

BOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!