Ross Wilson appointed as Director of Scouting & Recruitment

Ulrich van Gobbel

http://sfcne.ws/WilsonAnnouncement

Southampton Football Club is delighted to announce the appointment of Ross Wilson as Director of Scouting & Recruitment.

I am excited about working with Ross and by what he brings to our club"

Les Reed

Wilson moves from Huddersfield Town, who he joined in August 2012 as Head of Football Operations. He was later appointed as a director of the club, in January 2014.

The 32 year-old previously worked as Head of Football Business at Watford after a seven-year spell as Head of Football Development at his hometown club, Falkirk.

Wilson will head up Southampton’s Scouting & Recruitment department, overseeing 20 full-time members of staff based at the Staplewood Campus as well as a further 30 scouts and representatives operating across the UK and Europe.

Executive Director of Football Les Reed commented: “I would like to take this opportunity to welcome Ross and say that I am excited about working with him and by what he brings to our club.

“As with all player and staff recruitment, we have undertaken a thorough and intensive search for a new Director of Scouting and Recruitment. We are delighted that process has led to this appointment.

“Ross comes to us from another progressive club in Huddersfield Town, where he has been Head of Football Operations with a strong emphasis on player recruitment and analytics. He has extensive experience at clubs in England and Scotland, and has built a strong network of contacts in the UK and abroad.

“He is well-respected in the industry and, as an executive director at Huddersfield, brings with him a level of experience in senior management, which will contribute to keeping us at the cutting edge and ensuring due diligence is applied to all of our recruitment procedures.

“Ross will work across all age groups from the under-nines through to the first team, and will lead our recruitment operations into and through the next five-year plan.”

Edited by Ulrich van Gobbel

Reed mentions our next five year plan. Hasn't it started yet, I thought our last five year plan expired last summer.

What is exactly our next five year plan?

Five year plans in business don't stop - they roll on.

Edited by CB Fry

Sounds like a real statement of intent to me. At 32 he's young for a director which means he's highly likely to also be hungry and therefore guaranteed to improve.

Great work again from Turkish, he really does show the Bear the meaning of comedy.

Sounds like a real statement of intent to me. At 32 he's young for a director which means he's highly likely to also be hungry and therefore guaranteed to improve.

He's not a lifelong fan of the club though which is a worry. I think we should fast track someone like Brian Howard to a similar role. That said, I don't care if he's successful or not just as long as he puts his heart and soul into his job and runs about a lot. That's the sign of a good bit of business. I want to see passion.

Still not quit then? thought you were looking forward to it :lol:

Like I said every time you bring this up, my subscription continued with no money being taken. I can put up with the sh*t on here if i'm not paying for it. If the mods catch this and sort it out, then fine I'll stop coming on here so much, but I ain't bringing their attention to it.

Like I said every time you bring this up, my subscription continued with no money being taken. I can put up with the sh*t on here if i'm not paying for it. If the mods catch this and sort it out, then fine I'll stop coming on here so much, but I ain't bringing their attention to it.

Err, you just did :lol:

You do know its optional to post on here, you don't have to 'put up' with anything. Its a football forum pal, not auchwitz.

Reed mentions our next five year plan. Hasn't it started yet, I thought our last five year plan expired last summer.

What is exactly our next five year plan?[/QUOT Slow sustainable growth - we have a 7 year plan that want to see us qualifying regularly for Europe. We will not go gung ho and put ourselves in the same situation we had 5 or 6 years ago.

The aim and ideal is still about 50% academy players in the first team - we have 'blooded' 7 players under Ron so far this year.We do have contingency for

players, coaches and managers if they leave - we cannot compete with Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool salary wise - still hindered from our Championship/League One salaries still having some effect as you can only grow that so much under new rules that benefit bigger clubs - 5% or our wage bill is far less than 5% of the top sides like Chelsea, City etc. so they get better deal again.

What is exactly our next five year plan?[/QUOT Slow sustainable growth - we have a 7 year plan that want to see us qualifying regularly for Europe. We will not go gung ho and put ourselves in the same situation we had 5 or 6 years ago.

The aim and ideal is still about 50% academy players in the first team - we have 'blooded' 7 players under Ron so far this year.We do have contingency for

players, coaches and managers if they leave - we cannot compete with Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool salary wise - still hindered from our Championship/League One salaries still having some effect as you can only grow that so much under new rules that benefit bigger clubs - 5% or our wage bill is far less than 5% of the top sides like Chelsea, City etc. so they get better deal again.

I am not sure what you mean by referring to 5% of our wage bill. Nothing in FFP or the Salary Cap refers to 5%.

Edited by Redslo

Err, you just did :lol:

You do know its optional to post on here, you don't have to 'put up' with anything. Its a football forum pal, not auchwitz.

I've mentioned it a few times and none of them have seen it.

And yes, but that's not the point at all. Don't ask me to explain the point as I can't really be arsed when you'll just miss it again.

I've mentioned it a few times and none of them have seen it.

And yes, but that's not the point at all. Don't ask me to explain the point as I can't really be arsed when you'll just miss it again.

I think its you that doesn't get it, you claimed you were looking forward to your subscription running out so you wouldn't have to post anymore. All you do is moan and complain, say you're 'putting up' with things. Seems you don't understand that posting on here is optional, no one is forcing you to do it, your subscription isn't a sentence that means you can stop posting when it ends. You can stop anytime you like. Its a football forum not auchwitz.

Some interesting snippets from the recent Huddersfield press conference with Chris Powell & Jonathan Hogg from a today:

1.09pm:

- Hogg on Ross Wilson: "Ross is a top man, he knows his football and knows what he is doing.

- "He took me to Watford from Aston Villa and took me here, he is one of the best at what he does.

- "He will be missed and he's gone to a top-six Premier League club so you can't turn that down."

1.10pm:

Hogg says players can go and speak to Ross Wilson: "He's hands-on a lot, he comes to watch training and gets involved with the banter with the players."

1.37pm:

- Powell on Ross Wilson: "He's a very good football man, he helps me to bring players in and let players out but that isn't his sole job.

- "I know he came in since the team came up and there has been a real overhaul with regards to scouting and recruitment.

- "We are a Cat 2 academy team and that takes some building, but there has been a lot of unseen work so his role here many people will think it is recruitment but he is going to a progressive club and he will fit in seamlessly."

1.38pm:

- Powell says Town should aspire to reach Southampton's status as one of the most progressive clubs and on a replacement for Wilson: "If someone comes in, it will be different.

- "We have brought players in from abroad who are on the fringes but I think there is a role for someone.

- "If it is solely scouting and recruitment or not, we will discuss it."

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still wondering if he will get a Christmas bonus...recruitment largely to blame for current position IMO.

Although I guess they are working to a restricted budgetn in mitigation.

Would be interesting to know how Wilson compares to Mitchell in the opinion of someone who has dealt with both.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Still wondering if he will get a Christmas bonus...recruitment largely to blame for current position IMO.

Would be interesting to know how Wilson compares to Mitchell in the opinion of someone who has dealt with both.

I don't always agree with you but again spot on! Come on someone tell us what they are like.

I would imagine that his job is far more long term, kind of involving academy prospects as much as anything. Also, scouting and recruitment will make suggestions, not the actual appointments. Was soares only supposed to be back up for Clyne for example?

Also, pretty sure that the scouting department recommends 5 or 6 players and then these need to be approached, have terms agreed then signed.

Ultimately, first team transfers success or failure responsibility falls on those who have to agree a contract with an agent and player.

• 3 weeks later...