Ross Wilson appointed as Director of Scouting & Recruitment

Ulrich van Gobbel

Wilson must be feeling the heat..

Pretty much all of the signings that we have made since RK came have been 'his' players that either he and/or Erwin knew about. I'm not even sure what Wilson and Reed do for us now. Their roles seem somewhat diluted at the least.

Pretty much all of the signings that we have made since RK came have been 'his' players that either he and/or Erwin knew about. I'm not even sure what Wilson and Reed do for us now. Their roles seem somewhat diluted at the least.

Anyone watching Clasie, Cedric and Juanmi would see they were not physically suitable for the PL.

At least two of those were transfer committee signings.

They cannot pass blame, espexially given how smugly they lauded the scouting setup last year.

Anyone watching Clasie, Cedric and Juanmi would see they were not physically suitable for the PL.

They cannot pass blame, espexially given how smugly they lauded the scouting setup last year.

Anyone watching the game today would have seen that Clasie was one of the best players, and not in any way the problem.

With soares and Juanmi I'm inclined to agree but mainly with the view that we should have gone all out to get better players.

Clasie was good today don't agree on that.

Anyone watching the game today would have seen that Clasie was one of the best players, and not in any way the problem.

With soares and Juanmi I'm inclined to agree but mainly with the view that we should have gone all out to get better players.

The problem with Clasie is more around the fact that he can't finish games and rarely did in Holland even. He's here to replace our former best player who was an ever present and rarely subbed. If Clasie is showing signs of being a good player it makes the fact that doesn't have the stamina and physicality required even more disappointing.

The problem with Clasie is more around the fact that he can't finish games and rarely did in Holland even. He's here to replace our former best player who was an ever present and rarely subbed. If Clasie is showing signs of being a good player it makes the fact that doesn't have the stamina and physicality required even more disappointing.

For example at 2-1 down today we may have liked to have Seager as an option with 5mins left, but every game Clasie takes a sub option away.

We effectively have two a game.

Its madness that someone who trains every day cannot play 90mins.

Many games are decided at the end, so you want your better players on the pitch then.

The fact that Clasie is substituted had nothing to do with his physical performance today. He certainly didn't look knackered. It was more to do with Koeman saving him for Wednesday. Bournemouth made eleven changes and rested their first team for Wednesday. Having to use two substitutions at half time because of a poor selection had more to do with the lack of available substitutes.

The fact that Clasie is substituted had nothing to do with his physical performance today. He certainly didn't look knackered. It was more to do with Koeman saving him for Wednesday. Bournemouth made eleven changes and rested their first team for Wednesday. Having to use two substitutions at half time because of a poor selection had more to do with the lack of available substitutes.

He gets subbed in every game because he cannot last 90mins.

If he was physically fine then the 15mins rest before Wednesday would be irrelevant.

We would never have subbed Schneiderlin last year and barely ever take off Wanyama. Its such a key position.

This whole physically suited thing is a load of old b*llocks, I'm sorry.

So you reckon Clasie (Morgan replacement) and Cedric (Clyne replacement) plus Juanmi are well matched physically to handle PL football?

I think u need to drop clasie thing as he's getting better every game. I agree with loads you say thought. Javi and iniesta and fabregas aren't big!

Xavi and Iniesta are ****ing class though. Plus have (had) the stamina to play high intensity football for 90mins.

Hey S C, I think you talk a lot of sense sometimes and are generally pretty ok, but if you can't see that Clasie is a quality player you must be a dumb mother ****ing **** chop sucking **** ****er.

Not been on here for a while but i don't get the Clasie hate, he played some excellent attacking through passes today, I think he may have been at fault for one or two stray passes in dangerous areas but Wanyamas been doing that for 4 out of the last 5 games and it has also cost us big time. I think people forget that it took Schneiderlin years and several leagues to find his quality and form. I think we have an excellent player on our hands but he will need time. Juanmi on the other hand I feel needs to be loaned out to get his confidence and find his feet in this country because positionally he rules himself out of games from the minute he comes on, and his desperation to do something on the rare occasion he gets the ball is showing.

Not been on here for a while but i don't get the Clasie hate, he played some excellent attacking through passes today, I think he may have been at fault for one or two stray passes in dangerous areas but Wanyamas been doing that for 4 out of the last 5 games and it has also cost us big time. I think people forget that it took Schneiderlin years and several leagues to find his quality and form. I think we have an excellent player on our hands but he will need time. Juanmi on the other hand I feel needs to be loaned out to get his confidence and find his feet in this country because positionally he rules himself out of games from the minute he comes on, and his desperation to do something on the rare occasion he gets the ball is showing.

I don't think people 'hate' Clasie in the way that some fans really do seem to hate Wanyama. It's just that Clasie makes very little contribution to the team in terms of making, scoring or stopping goals. He's one of those players who just makes up the numbers and when he's subbed, because he can't play for more than an hour, the team plays better.

The problem with Clasie is more around the fact that he can't finish games and rarely did in Holland even.

He's here to replace our former best player who was an ever present and rarely subbed.

If Clasie is showing signs of being a good player it makes the fact that doesn't have the stamina and physicality required even more disappointing.

Why is it "a problem? ". Unlike midfield players, most defenders have less to do and are rarely subbed. except for a poor display.... .or a serious injury.

It's not everyone that can run for 90 minutes. especially midfielders like Clasie. Look at a few other Prem. games and see it's often the midfielders who get subbed first.

We have surely seen that from those years with Lallana and even Steven Davis, so why do people continue to bleat about substitutions after 60/70 mins..

Our best midfielder (Schneiderlin?) was with the club for 7 years, and was " Saints Fit ". Clasie didn't even get a proper "pre-season " and has been out twice through freak injuries.

A fresh pair of legs can make all the difference.

Edited by david in sweden

Hey S C, I think you talk a lot of sense sometimes and are generally pretty ok, but if you can't see that Clasie is a quality player you must be a dumb mother ****ing **** chop sucking **** ****er.

I can see he is a quality passer and that in a slower tempo league he could dictate the play pretty well.

My main issue is that he has been subbed in all his starts. By now he should be able to play 90mins. If he can't now after 3 months of full training, will he ever be able to for us?

Interesting also he hasn't picked up a single yellow card yet for us. Either an exceptionally gifted tackler, or doesn't really try to make any. You get a yellow so easily these days.

I can see he is a quality passer and that in a slower tempo league he could dictate the play pretty well.

My main issue is that he has been subbed in all his starts. By now he should be able to play 90mins. If he can't now after 3 months of full training, will he ever be able to for us?

Interesting also he hasn't picked up a single yellow card yet for us. Either an exceptionally gifted tackler, or doesn't really try to make any. You get a yellow so easily these days.

He certainly won three crunching tackles yesterday and closed down very tightly. He looked a good player yesterday and very effective with Romeu.

I've just noticed you posted at 5.02 pm yesterday, as the match finished at 4.55 pm does that mean you didn't go yesterday?

Edited by derry

I did wonder about the selection process involved in recruiting for this position when Wilson was announced, or when we were first linked with him.

I'm not critiscising him on his selection, or suitability for the role, but what would make him stand out to Les Reed above other possibilities ? If he had a track record of unearthing a few gems at Huddersfield then fine, but I'm not aware of any (I think Jordan Rhodes pre-dates his time there). Then again a similar thing could be said of Mitchell at MK before joining us.

The track record over the last 12 months though has been pretty poor, and like many I suspect many of the signings are Ronald/Erwin inspired rather than by the Head of Recruitment.

I find it surprising that we are not still linked with Byram, or now with Cook at Leeds. It appears that AFCB without our mega-centre at Staplewood and 'black Box' are more alert in the transfer market than we are. Hope Kat realises what a poor return on Marcus investment at Staplewood the present incumbents are serving up.

I did wonder about the selection process involved in recruiting for this position when Wilson was announced, or when we were first linked with him.

The track record over the last 12 months though has been pretty poor, and like many I suspect many of the signings are Ronald/Erwin inspired rather than by the Head of Recruitment.

We've put our faith in Koeman, it's certain he wants players he feels CDAJFU....rather than Ross / Reed saying " the Black Box " says we should buy this, or that player....

Looking at last season, who would say that; Pelle, Mane or Tadic were bad buys? VvD is a good buy, Cedric is improving...and Martina isn't the disaster people thought.

Clasie surely has qualities, but with no proper pre-season and injuries along the way, he isn't in top form yet.

Why do people condemn someone because they don't play 95 mins. every match? It would be difficult to find 10 matches a season where Lallana played an entire game.

Watch a few other Prem. matches and see who gets subbed first. (Injuries aside) it's nearly always a midfielder - they're in the action far more than others.

• 5 months later...
So what is the verdict on Ross Wilson now?

Not quite sure the point of your post. Some will say last years buys were RK inspired but in reality, I recall the statements saying at the time that Tadic and Mane were high on our watch list anyway. As far as I can see Pelle and maybe Clasie were RK inspired though Clasie said at the time it was the club not RK that sold the deal to him.

This idea of picking one random individual out of the club for praise or criticism is really missing the point that we are structured around a collective so that any one individual leaving has little or no effect on our five year plan.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Wilson, who hails from Falkirk, has worked wonders at Southampton to help ensure stability and a steady flow of highly-rated youth prospects and first-team players since he took the role.

While it's certainly impossible to fault the board's ambition here - Wilson seems to be one of the very best in the business - it's worth wondering why he'd be willing to move to Rangers

mmm pretty sure plenty of saints fans might not agree....

Wilson, who hails from Falkirk, has worked wonders at Southampton to help ensure stability and a steady flow of highly-rated youth prospects and first-team players since he took the role.

While it's certainly impossible to fault the board's ambition here - Wilson seems to be one of the very best in the business - it's worth wondering why he'd be willing to move to Rangers

Paul Mitchell probably still available to replace him if he goes...

Think the headline about Southampton Supremo is a little misleading (probably written after a few pints of McEwans and a battered Mars Bar supper)