Ross Wilson appointed as Director of Scouting & Recruitment

Ulrich van Gobbel

Looks like the exact same interview from 2 years ago, just replaced Wilson with Reed!

I liked this bit.... Like a sketch fron The UK office, could imagine Gareth offering such gems

Wilson added: “Because we work to a structure, our manager is ususally British or European – Mauricio Pochettino may be Argentine but he came from Spanish football.

Looks like the exact same interview from 2 years ago, just replaced Wilson with Reed!

I liked this bit.... Like a sketch fron The UK office, could imagine Gareth offering such gems

To be honest it's more realistic to imagine Gareth from the office being too cripplingly thick to understand the point being made.

But he's, like, Argie doh, ain't he doh?

To be honest it's more realistic to imagine Gareth from the office being too cripplingly thick to understand the point being made.

But he's, like, Argie doh, ain't he doh?

Or something that David Brent himself might have uttered while threading a carpet putt through the accounts department at Slough. This Wilson interest and write up seems to have stirred from nowhere, like a short, sharp tremor from a dormant land mass.

Or something that David Brent himself might have uttered while threading a carpet putt through the accounts department at Slough. This Wilson interest and write up seems to have stirred from nowhere, like a short, sharp tremor from a dormant land mass.

At a time when the recruitment has been at its poorest and most questionable its kinda odd that both Reed and Wilson are fighting over the ownership and blame.

Les "im in charge of EVERYTHING" its all very me, me, me

Ross is more fond of the word "we"

Not a chance he'd leave for the utter shambles that is Rangers. Unless they are offering silly money which, of course, they cannot afford.

http://www.gotthebattlefeveron.com/2017/2/20/14668838/ross-wilson-offered-director-of-football-role-at-rangers-southampton

This suggests he has been offered the job and its his to turn down.

Worth remembering it would be a promotion for him, and a chance to move back to Scotland. Can see why he would potentially be keen.

Be interesting to see who we would target if he were to go.

Crunch talks, aye? Showdown at the OK corral? I don't think so, who in their right minds would want to live in Glasgow. If he is that good why not offer him DoF here, Les.

More pertinently our club is about more than individuals these days as the last three years of coming and goings have shown, now who was that Paul Mitchell bloke who used to work here.....

I thought Mitchell had already departed Spurs, as they had given him a shoe box rather a black box and he had been tempted by the lure of the Dugouts at Goodison.

Someone good in our retentions department would be good this summer.

I think Levy put Mitchell on some kind of 16 month notice period.

I wonder if Ross Wilson is being lined up to replace Les Reed in the next couple of years?

I imagine that Ralph must have given him some sort of assurances for him to turn Rangers down, or perhaps just more money?

If he did replace Reed, he seems a bit young, so would he have the credibility to attract big name players/managers and 'manage' everything about the football side of the club? I guess Rangers thought he had the stature to do exactly that.

On the plus side, if he did replace Les Reed we would presumably have continuity in our strategy and philosophy since he is already very much part of moulding that.

I think Les is doing a great job, but he's in his mid 60's and I'm not sure how long he'll want to be doing what must be a 10 - 12 hour a day job.

I wonder if Ross Wilson is being lined up to replace Les Reed in the next couple of years?

I imagine that Ralph must have given him some sort of assurances for him to turn Rangers down, or perhaps just more money?

If he did replace Reed, he seems a bit young, so would he have the credibility to attract big name players/managers and 'manage' everything about the football side of the club? I guess Rangers thought he had the stature to do exactly that.

On the plus side, if he did replace Les Reed we would presumably have continuity in our strategy and philosophy since he is already very much part of moulding that.

I think Les is doing a great job, but he's in his mid 60's and I'm not sure how long he'll want to be doing what must be a 10 - 12 hour a day job.

Very likely IMO. We like to promote from within.

• 3 months later...

Just seen Ross in Texaco garage, filling up his brand new Merc. Imagine the cash he is on for basically playing Football Manager!

He gave me the look to say "I know, that you know, that I know...." and made a quick exit before I asked him how the Ronaldo meetings were going ;)

Just seen Ross in Texaco garage, filling up his brand new Merc. Imagine the cash he is on for basically playing Football Manager!

He gave me the look to say "I know, that you know, that I know...." and made a quick exit before I asked him how the Ronaldo meetings were going ;)

Surprised you could see him over the roof of his car.

Edited by shurlock

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Pellegrino said in todays presser re the Promes fiasco:

"Next time we have to plan better."

Essentially saying we didnt give Spartak enough time to source a replacement.

It got me thinking:

1.Have we had a good window since Lil Ross took over from Paul Mitchell?

2. Surely they learned something from last January's Fonte/Caceres fiasco?

Pretty damning of the job the wee man is doing!

He's had a nightmare, should have gone to rangers.

Doesn't this ultimately rest with Les Reed, or has the recruitment role been entirely passed to Wilson ?

Whichever one it is, one should be out the door following yet another transfer fiasco.(If not both).

Doesn't this ultimately rest with Les Reed, or has the recruitment role been entirely passed to Wilson ?

Whichever one it is, one should be out the door following yet another transfer fiasco.(If not both).

Ross Wilson is now Director of Football Operations, which I think was Les' old title before he got bumped up to vice-chairman.

Presumably a fair bit of the responsibility lies with him. I seem to remember him being on holiday during the month long end of season review last year. Seems like he went walkabouts this transfer window as well.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I don't think the fans are going to find out who or what the root cause of this malaise is. Most were convinced it had something to do with black but our continued decline shows that's clearly not the case. I reckon its not just one person but a series of poor mistakes and hiring decisions that have made the club take a step backwards in a variety of areas go leave us where we are. I mean look at the academy and their poor performance to see that, someone like Martin hunter can be to blame just as much.

I don't think the fans are going to find out who or what the root cause of this malaise is. Most were convinced it had something to do with black but our continued decline shows that's clearly not the case. I reckon its not just one person but a series of poor mistakes and hiring decisions that have made the club take a step backwards in a variety of areas go leave us where we are. I mean look at the academy and their poor performance to see that, someone like Martin hunter can be to blame just as much.

I think the Black effect has been proven to have some truth to it. While results might not have come on (ie still can't win a game), the squad looks fitter and and more composed. The managers tactics are still from a weird parallel universe where you attack by going backwards, but the players do seem more 'up for it' now Black has gone.

Not saying it was all him (how could it be!?) but his absence appears to have had a positive effect for whatever reason!

Agree it's not the root cause, but his appointment was a symptom of the malaise and appeared to co tribute to its hold on the club. Cutting away the dead flesh bit by bit is a start, even if a full amputation may still be necessary soon.

Bad culture looks to be club wide. Mediocrity is being rewarded on and off the field. Were there any repercussions for the u23's being relegated? Any repercussions for the ridiculous forster contract extension? Are we ever going to sell any of the weaker players in a bid to improve the squad or only sell the ones that want out? What about repercussions for a manager with only 4 wins all season?

"We breed success"? More like we breed zero accountability and complacency

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pellegrino said in todays presser re the Promes fiasco:

"Next time we have to plan better."

Essentially saying we didnt give Spartak enough time to source a replacement.

It got me thinking:

1.Have we had a good window since Lil Ross took over from Paul Mitchell?

2. Surely they learned something from last January's Fonte/Caceres fiasco?

Pretty damning of the job the wee man is doing!

To not even get a loan deal for the likes of Niasse or Markovic if Gao was insisting no money was spent is astonishing. What is Wilson actually being paid for? Promes was only ever a smokescreen to distract us from our suspicions over the use or non use of the VVD money. That deal could have been done before the window was opened, you have to ask why