• Schneiderlin
    • Davis, S
    • Mané
    • Tadic
    • Long
    • Đuričić
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Pellè

"Chelsea hoisted the ball into the box late on but Southampton have resisted the pressure and just about deserve their point.

Fraser Forster made some good saves but the defenders played well in front of him.

- David Pleat on 5live

We were lucky but should have been ahead at half-time. I feared that would cost us but MoM Forster kept them out. Schneiderlin was also immense. Some of the others kept giving the ball away too cheaply- and as for poor JWP when he came on - fish out of water. He simply wasn't in it. Anyway, two points off Chelsea this season will do nicely.

Great performance, great game and a well deserved point.

Plus Points:

1. Really good defensively minus the goal and great to have Toby back.

2. Forster with some quality saves, showing that whilst he never comes off his line, he is a quality shot stopper. We havent seen it a lot as haven't been under the cosh a great deal this season.

3. Mane is absolutely brilliant and has kept us in the race for Europe last few games. Most fouled player per mins played in the league and such a threat. Brilliant signing and will surely have a wonderful career.

One Negative:

Bringing on Djuricic and JWP (especially the latter) did more harm than good. Neither touched the ball for 10mins when coming on and neither pressed or closed down quick enough.

The shot that Forster saved leading to the scramble at the end was entirely JWP's fault, he was massive favourite to win the loose ball and then bottled it giving it to Hazard who teed up Oscar I think.

When it is physical and a high tempo game he is a passenger and the one time he had a dead ball to deliver it was awful and gave Courtois a chance to launch another attack.

He isnt a baby anymore and has to do better if he wants to get minutes on the pitch.

Good performance and so good to see Toby back in the team. Refreshing options with Long in place of Pelle.

The second half was crying out for Harrison Reed. Djuricic and JWP were a waste of space. Reed is a better option all round and as I mentioned earlier, and, got Simon Peach's support, Ryan Seager should have been in today's squad. What more does he have to do to get a game???

One of the best games this season from a neutral point of view. From a Saints fan's perspective it was a nail biting, nerve jangling 90 minutes that had the spectre of missed first half chances coming to haunt us but fair play to the team, a much improved performance compared to recent weeks. Hard to choose a MOTM because everyone put in a decent shift barring substitutes but Schneiderlin or Mane for me.

Forster had a superb game and made some great saves as did Courtois which says a lot about the game.

Didn't really see the point of JWP for the final stint but we didn't concede so it worked out alright and was hoping Djuricic could've made some defence threatening runs.

Back four were solid but allowing Costa in for the header was a lapse in concentration by Alderwiereld who hopefully will get back on form with more match time under his belt.

As good a result as this was, we need to consolidate it now with three points against Burnley or else this magnificent performance will have been in vain.

Joyous draw.

First half played out of a good organisation and achieved good ball position with Mane especially good.

Second half we showed that with a good spirit we can achieve long success.

Speaking of Shame Long...he did well.

Watched game in Moscow bar with Russkie commentary - am chuffed with a point but we seemed to stand like statues for their goal. Mane hovers between being infuriating and brilliant at same time. Frase outstanding - how didn't Terry score?! Great point and sets us up well to give confidence for run-in.

Watched game in Moscow bar with Russkie commentary - am chuffed with a point but we seemed to stand like statues for their goal. Mane hovers between being infuriating and brilliant at same time. Frase outstanding - how didn't Terry score?! Great point and sets us up well to give confidence for run-in.

I would be interested to read which part of Mane's game today you found infuriating. Thought he was top draw.

Mane a lot more brilliant than infuriating. Think saints fans would moan at messi tbh.

Please please please don't put Pelle back in, we look so much better with Long up top.

That is harsh, putting Pelle on actually helped to relieve the pressure to a degree. Before he came on we were camped in our box, once he was on we started to get at their goal on the break.

I agree whole heartedly that playing with speed suited us today, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't put Pelle back in necessarily. your comment shows a lack of tactical appreciation from a "fan" determined to knock one of out own despite a great team performance and giving no credit to the impact of pelle what so ever.

The irony being that Long has a longer goalless streak (according to sky) :lol:

Decent right up - welcome point but really surprised Tadic didn't take a couple of extra touches before hitting the pen

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/15/chelsea-southampton-premier-league-match-report?CMP=twt_gu

its only because his confidence isn't as high as it has been, players always take an extra touch when low on confidence. I thought he played much better today though.

Great point, we looked fantastic in the first half, really thought if we could carry that tempo up we would win. Still gutted Tadic didnt let fire when in the box (great feet by the way).

Fraser and the back four, amazing.

Concerned with JWP and F.Djuricic when they came on (benefit of the doubt as that wasnt the easiest of games to come into.)

Sums up my feelings perfectly. Proud of the team today.

jwp in particular was a waste of a shirt I am sad to say. That said, I agreed with all the subs but they needed to deliver more.

I would have bought on Pelle earlier to try and hold the ball up when we really needed it 2nd half. Long did a good shift 1st half but didn't get involved or hold the ball in the 2nd.

good to see Clyne back to his best and Toby good as always. A lot of good performances today but special shout outs to Morgan, Forster, Mane.

Edited by doggface

Absolute fantastic game from mane today in my opinion,he was causing chelsea loads of problems with his skill and pace.tadic has some lovely skills too open up and creat chances for himself but doesnt seem to have the confidence to take the chances himself hes always looking for the pass even if his skill has completely opened up a chance for a shot.

Cant say im really impressed with djuricic so far,he looks very lightweight and i think i prefer all of our other attacking midfielders and wingers over him so far.

Anyone know how long elia is out ?

Absolute fantastic game from mane today in my opinion,he was causing chelsea loads of problems with his skill and pace.tadic has some lovely skills too open up and creat chances for himself but doesnt seem to have the confidence to take the chances himself hes always looking for the pass even if his skill has completely opened up a chance for a shot.

Cant say im really impressed with djuricic so far,he looks very lightweight and i think i prefer all of our other attacking midfielders and wingers over him so far.

Anyone know how long elia is out ?

I love Mane, I think he's terrific. So quick and so elusive in his touches, and by the time he's taken a touch he's gone passed you....

He's won us some huge points this year and has contributed here to a massive result. Quality player and he's silenced all the knee-jerking doubters he had at the start. Where are they now?

We never looked like conceding a second goal despite all their late pressure which had more than a tad of desperation about it. Absolutely brilliant performances from the team almost without exception.

Sad in the end for JWP who just seems to be out of his depth at the highest level and is evidently scared to tackle anybody. Maybe Steve Davis was knackered otherwise why take him off as he was filling the gap beautifully between Victor & Morgan and feeding great balls through to the forwards.

Fraser's magnificent display late on earned us a point for sure but he should have read the cross from their right that Costa headed home, watched the flight and move three yards to punch the ball away. He was ball watching for sure but not in a good way! Magical shot stopper but still does not command his box as he should.

An excellent, and well deserved, point.

Chelsea should have played the 2nd half with 10 men. The ref bottled it.

An excellent team performance; especially Mane, Morgan and Forster (although I do think the latter was partially at fault for their goal).

p.s. how do we see who voted for who in the mom poll? I would like to know which idiots think that either JWP, Pelle or Djurijic were our best players today!

get the **** in,what a great game by two great sides

motm is a hard one,schneiderlin,mane,fonte,toby,forster

have to give to forster for those saves

we were so dominant first half,if only we had scored the second,we could have done em

blinding day on the **** and great result against the champions elect

Great performance from us all over the park. Defence, midfield and attack were all top drawer, Forster kept us in it at times and we showed real team spirit to come back from 1-0 down at the most difficult ground in the country to play at and get a point. Struggled to pick a MOTM but went for Morgan as IMO he was the best player on the pitch. Mane, Long, Forster and Bertrand were all quality too.

Coincidence that it's the first time this season Pelle has been dropped? Looked so much sharper in attack.

Brilliant performance, brilliant result.

Wow, we needed that.

He's got you there.

I still think we need to take more risks

When it comes down to it, we need to take our chances more effectively when they present themselves, instead of taking that extra touch, or playing that safe pass, or however else we contrive to create opportunities without having shots - but it's not USUALLY from missing chances, it's from missing the chance to create chances.

Having said all that, if we play like that for the rest of the season, I don't care how many opportunities we miss, we'll still come 3rd, because we'd win at least 9 matches.