Nigel Pearson has got a problem

whelk

I thought he was pretty good: crap questions, short and definitive answer, repeat of crap questioon, "I said 'no'", repharese using waxing-or waning, for FFS sake how much leeway do you have to give a plonker like that???? Get a proper journalist in. Or maybe he was from the Mail

Thought he handled the questions well.

I will assume you have no idea about PR. He is a dead man walking anyway. His role is to be civil and talking to the press is part of the game. Hence they get fined if they don't.

Define a 'dumb' question.

People always say it's dumb to ask a manager whose team has just been thumped how he feels, and we all recall Strachan's answer to this sort of question which he regarded as dumb.

But the dumb question is often the one that everyone wants the answer to.

Most supporters want that question asked for some form of affirmation that the manager isn't chuffed at being beaten and is concerned.

Most managers are affronted by these questions but it's right they are asked.

I thought Pearson dealt with the initial questions well. It's then down to the journalist as to whether hue has got the answer he wants and how persistent he then is to get it.

Having had his original question answered he then runs the risk of earning the manager's displeasure if he persists.

If you are going to make managers do these press conferences, then you are always going to get a spiky character or two, which when they are struggling, are going to give short shrift to silly questions. Having said that, Pearson over the past few months has come across badly on many occasions.

I don't think he did anything wrong there at all and if he was representing Saints and gave that press statement I would support him. The questions were crap.

I think I'd rather have a Manager who can show he can cope with the pressure of the relegation fight by answering questions in a far less aggressive manner and showing he is controlled and measured.

I will assume you have no idea about PR. He is a dead man walking anyway. His role is to be civil and talking to the press is part of the game. Hence they get fined if they don't.

PR is to blame for the blandness in modern day footballers and managers. Give me up-front honesty every day of the week.

He he answered the questions perfectly well in his interview anyway. It was hardly a Joe Kinnear interview.

I think I'd rather have a Manager who can show he can cope with the pressure of the relegation fight by answering questions in a far less aggressive manner and showing he is controlled and measured.

He looks stressed. Which can't be good for him or anyone else.

I think he's struggled with the expectation and pressure this year, he shows it in odd ways. Like the odd spat with the player a few weeks ago for one, and the club have dealt with it oddly as well given the sacking and unsacking. He's had an odd year.

I'm surprised at Leicester if i'm honest, I thought they were in the best place to really push on this year - they have a better squad than Burnley for instance, but he has struggled to manage it. He had the backing, in January the club allowed him to get a very highly rated striker but they're still not cutting it.

Don't see anything particularly wrong with that, yes Pearson was quite abrupt and obviously a bit irritable but it was hardly a Keegan style 'I would love it!' interview.

To be honest I don't really watch interviews any more because they same almost exactly the same things every time. Just pick whichever clichés you like from this list

Great result/disappointing result

The lads are obviously disappointed

Not looking at the league table

One game at a time

The result is more important than scoring

We don't think about what everyone else is saying

We've got what it takes to stay up/qualify for Europe/win the league

We'll be back working hard in training on Monday.

There are no easy games.

The supporters were fantastic

I love playing here

I will play whatever position the manager asks me to

They (the oposition) are a great team (or 'a tough team' if the opposition is infact sh*te)

He would our Ron have coped with the same questions under similar circumstances?

The most annoyed I have seen him is when he was constantly asked about Liverpool's ex-Saints the week of the Liverpool home game. He showed annoyance but didn't act aggressively - he got his point across and the press conference moved on. I imagine Koeman is used to pressure situations as a player and this prepared him well for management.

Surprised so many don't see an issue. It is about treating people with respect. FFS he must have had to fend off hundred of stupid questions. He answers so aggressively as if spoiling for fight and seems like he thinks the world is against him.

His answer about being 'able to handle himself' was also so inappropriate when he clearly reacted to an innocent collision.

Genuinely don't think any manager has the charm and honesty of Koeman. Actually worth listening to

Surprised so many don't see an issue. It is about treating people with respect. FFS he must have had to fend off hundred of stupid questions. He answers so aggressively as if spoiling for fight and seems like he thinks the world is against him.

His answer about being 'able to handle himself' was also so inappropriate when he clearly reacted to an innocent collision.

Genuinely don't think any manager has the charm and honesty of Koeman. Actually worth listening to

He seemed very irritated to me and was trying, not very well, to contain himself. He gave it away big time at the very end. He may think the waxing/waning question trite but the other guy is paid to do a job just as he is. Just watched it again and he looks like a bloke ready to blow to me.

the only dumb things I am hearing are those written on this thread.... He is supposed to be a Professional.... He clearly has not the faintest idea how to conduct himself. The second question was shallow for sure but the first question was not a judgement... its was a question asking him his take on the situation. A simple question he was unable to answer.... and therein shows why they are in the mess they are in.... he is not capable of handling even the basic stuff. Time for him to hit the exit and get a back room job somewhere where he does not have to face media.

the only dumb things I am hearing are those written on this thread.... He is supposed to be a Professional.... He clearly has not the faintest idea how to conduct himself. The second question was shallow for sure but the first question was not a judgement... its was a question asking him his take on the situation. A simple question he was unable to answer.... and therein shows why they are in the mess they are in.... he is not capable of handling even the basic stuff. Time for him to hit the exit and get a back room job somewhere where he does not have to face media.

So taking Leicester to the Premier League is largely irrelevant you feel, it's more important to have a media friendly rent a quote, PR man in charge?

So taking Leicester to the Premier League is largely irrelevant you feel, it's more important to have a media friendly rent a quote, PR man in charge?

Not at all. He should just do his job in a professional manner.... and that includes ALL of the aspects of his profession. If he can not handle it , then in my view he should seek a job elsewhere doing something different. He clearly has talents.... just not facing the media... an essential part of his job.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31900608

Pressure has got to him. Can't think a more consistent chippy manager and a bit embarrassing.

OK, so finally go to watch the clip. What a brilliant reaction, reminds me of the days of WGS. Doesn't indicate any pressure at all, just indicates what a clueless bunch of tossers we have sometimes asking these questions at press conferences. Pity a few more managers don't respond more honestly when they are asked this sort of drivel. Its not a PR issue either (unless you mean in the medical sense of the abbreviation). Journo acts like an arsehole is treated in the appropriate manner.

Not at all. He should just do his job in a professional manner.... and that includes ALL of the aspects of his profession. If he can not handle it , then in my view he should seek a job elsewhere doing something different. He clearly has talents.... just not facing the media... an essential part of his job.

Looks like he handled it to me. Okay he was a bit irritable but it's not as if he broke down in tears. I think the idea that a decent manager should lose his job because he doesn't put on the same bland, tedious interviews as everyone else to be quite sickening.

WGS did stuff like this all the time. I remember him once refusing to answer a journalists question after his phone went off.

There was another post match interview where all you could hear in the background was David Moyes going mental at Marian Pahars. Effing and shouting, he completely lost his rag but didn't lose his job for it.

Someone should find the link to those WGS quotes.

"Waxing or waning" . Didn't he just say what 99% of us are thinking? Man who knows next to nothing about football asks pearson dumb question. Then repeats it. Then repeats it. In what sense is that bad PR? Bland quotes are good PR?

What he should have said was...

We showed great passion in that game but it was not our day. The players are a fantastic group and the fans were a loud and proud today. Listen, the fans at this club represent us magnificently home and away.

We go on to the next game. We pick ourselves up and dust ourselves down. Lick our wounds and go again. We showed great passion and belief which we will need to keep showing to get us out of this sticky patch.

This is a great football club with a fine group of players and it is a privilege to be part of it.

If Jose had responded like this everyone would have been loving it...actually he kind of does sometimes...but because it's from a guy running a team at the bottom he's accused of not handling the pressure (actually if you want an example of someone who struggles with the negative pressure look no further than mr mourinho). Nigel could have either rolled out the usual cliche (as in the above post) or let his emotions out, he chose the latter - quite refreshing and the lazy journo got what he deserved. If you can't be bothered to prepare decent questions then be ready for reactions like this - the fact he didn't have any back-up questions shows you how little thought he put into it.

Trouble is we haven't seen the whole press conference.

Many times Ronald has answered all the relevant questions clearly and concisely, then 10 minutes in some hack wakes up and asks the same question he has answered already, and you can see a look of "really?!!" pass behind Ronald's eyes.

If Jose had responded like this everyone would have been loving it...actually he kind of does sometimes...but because it's from a guy running a team at the bottom he's accused of not handling the pressure (actually if you want an example of someone who struggles with the negative pressure look no further than mr mourinho). Nigel could have either rolled out the usual cliche (as in the above post) or let his emotions out, he chose the latter - quite refreshing and the lazy journo got what he deserved. If you can't be bothered to prepare decent questions then be ready for reactions like this - the fact he didn't have any back-up questions shows you how little thought he put into it.

100% this. Batman's example is mundane and boring. Sure - that's a safe way of dealing with things but I'd rather see some emotion. I'd rather have my manager show some emotion when things aren't going well rather than speak all the usual clichés.

"Well in..in mine opinion dish is just football, playersh might do dis waxing/waning stuff, but, okay, i'm happy with our ball positions and and and in mine opinion is that your question is a little bit like having chips without mayonnaise ....not really a good question!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31900608

Pressure has got to him. Can't think a more consistent chippy manager and a bit embarrassing.

I rather like him. He's direct and says what he thinks-even if it isn't always P.C. I watched the interview with the dumb journo' asking a list of even dumber questions.

I don't know how NP kept his temper so long, but it's asking for trouble if you act stupid with the manager of a club struggling at the bottom of the Prem. Expect a War.

100% this. Batman's example is mundane and boring. Sure - that's a safe way of dealing with things but I'd rather see some emotion. I'd rather have my manager show some emotion when things aren't going well rather than speak all the usual clichés.

The post with the made up quote actually reminds me of the prat at newcastle at the mo. Carver. Just speaks in football, press trained management crap

Edited by Batman

Someone should find the link to those WGS quotes.

"Waxing or waning" . Didn't he just say what 99% of us are thinking? Man who knows next to nothing about football asks pearson dumb question. Then repeats it. Then repeats it. In what sense is that bad PR? Bland quotes are good PR?

Yeah knows nothing. Writes for the Sunday Times. Any mug could do that right? They are famous for employing people who know ' next to nothing about football'

Calling him a pr1ck was most professional as well.

I rather like him. He's direct and says what he thinks-even if it isn't always P.C. I watched the interview with the dumb journo' asking a list of even dumber questions.

I don't know how NP kept his temper so long, but it's asking for trouble if you act stupid with the manager of a club struggling at the bottom of the Prem. Expect a War.

Its not acting dumb - its conducting an interview with the aim of eliciting useful views and quotes from Pearson that can be used in a story. Having Pearson sit there grumpy and petty because he had lost again was unprofessional.

Its not acting dumb - its conducting an interview with the aim of eliciting useful views and quotes from Pearson that can be used in a story. Having Pearson sit there grumpy and petty because he had lost again was unprofessional.

are you a journalist?...by any chance ?

......if I'd been there I'd have asked a better set of questions than that idiot did ? ....." is your team waxing or waning? " Total stupidity:lol:

are you a journalist?...by any chance ?

......if I'd been there I'd have asked a better set of questions than that idiot did ? ....." is your team waxing or waning? " Total stupidity:lol:

Nothing 'stupid' about that question at all, as long as a person understands English. Improving or on the decline, seems clear enough but Pearson was being aggressive at any questions asked. Can't see him lasting in the job much longer but Saints' fans should look at that and see some indication of why he wasn't kept on at St Mary's.