Stoke away

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry Saintasaurus, no idea about train stuff!? Getting the train up from Salisbury/London. Any good pubs anyone can suggest? Where are most Saints supporters going to end up, if anyone knows?

Don't know about other Saints supporters but here's some pubs I've researched. I'm probably going to visit them in roughly the order below. I may save the Coachmakers Arms for a post game pint.

1/.White Star (Titanic Brewery), 63 Kingsway ST4 1JD.

Has a great range of five Titanic beers and four guest ales to try, a relaxed and friendly atmosphere here.

2/. The Glebe (Joules Brewery), 35 Glebe Street ST4 1HG.

Re-established to brew the famous Joules Pale Ale.

3/. Coachmakers Arms, 65 Lichfield Street ST1 3EA.

According to CAMRA, “a gem”, also recognised as having a nationally important historic pub interior, comprising of a small bar, four rooms and a drinking corridor; the

front bar is small and snug, only holding around eight people, whilst the front right-hand room is larger and more cosy, with a real fire for those colder days.

4/. Terrace Bar, 185 Leek Road, ST4 2BW.

Appears to be the official away fans pub. The pub which is only five minute’s walk from the railway station (turn right out of the station entrance, left at the crossroads and

the pub is down on the left)

The Terrace Bar is pretty basic / slightly rough, kind of your typical boozer very close to a train station. I would not bother based on the others you have listed. Bear in mind the ground is out of town

There's a shuttle bus near the station or you can walk - if the weather's nice and I've had enough beer I might walk it

Went to The Terrace last year before the game. Short walk to it and buses from it taking us to the ground. Think I'll do the same on Saturday. Last year I just asked the police at the station and they pointed me to the direction of said boozer.

Just in case this thread gets pulled up again next year.

We (2 of us) went to The Glebe yesterday. Fine ales and the locals we spoke to were friendly. However, we got a couple of looks and I reckon if you were in a group of 5 or more you might get some unwelcome attention. Didn't make it to the White Star but I'd say similar discretion is advised.

Couple of mates of mine spent their time drinking in Hanley (where Coachmakers Arms is) and this is probably more relaxed.

We were told by the staff in the The White Star that they could not serve away fans - they did have a notice on the door but we missed in on the way in.

To be fair, as it was just after mid-day, they did give us a drink but told us to cover our shirts. We then went to the Glebe and aslo left without buying a drink, partly because the folks they were staring at us and it was not a very comfortbale atmosphere.

After the game we went to the Weatherspoons - just round the corner from the The White Star and were served a drink and ordered food, only for the manager to come over to ask us to leave as his staff had made a mistake serving away fans.

The only reason we were given for this approach was that their license was linked to not serving away fans, becuase they were worried that the Stoke fans would start trouble.

The away fans pub - The Terrace - was bit of a dump and didn't serve food. I have to say not a great enticement to ever go back to Stoke.

Edited by red&white56
typo correction

About 20 of us I three groups we're in the Glebe without colours and had no problems

But would not have wanted to be there with colours on

Must admit have gone to pubs in Longton before the game before and felt far more comfortable and locals much friendlier

Maybe you're just not friendly enough.

My dad and I took the Stokie shuttle bus to the game when we went to the cup game. They sang "we eat off the floor".

Humble lot, really. Suppose you'd have to be, living there. Supposed to be the worst place to live in the country.

Maybe you're just not friendly enough.

My dad and I took the Stokie shuttle bus to the game when we went to the cup game. They sang "we eat off the floor".

Humble lot, really. Suppose you'd have to be, living there. Supposed to be the worst place to live in the country.

Is this question directed to me ???

If so please let me assure you that I'm very friendly. Maybe one day we'll meet and then you can truly judge for yourself after talking to me and getting to know me, rather than speculating from behind the keyboard. :)