England Squad

igsey

Terrible overall selection once again....from our point of view, Bertrand an integral part of the best defence in the PL but still can't get in. Why can't the England hierarchy see what the rest of us can see? I hope one day to genuinely enthuse about our national team.

Not far off the best squad we've got available to be fair. Just shows how little genuine English talent there is. Gibbs, Shaw and Townsend are the obvious WTF candidates.

On the up side I'm glad he's had the balls to drop Chambers and Lambert. Sends the right message out about leaving regular football to go and sit on a big club's bench.

Sorry I'm not getting the hate for Gibbs? Doesn't he play left back for the 3rd best team in the country? Chelsea and man city don't play an English left back as first choice so Gibbs is top of the tree where English left backs are concerned.

Sorry I'm not getting the hate for Gibbs? Doesn't he play left back for the 3rd best team in the country? Chelsea and man city don't play an English left back as first choice so Gibbs is top of the tree where English left backs are concerned.

Depends what statistic(s) one uses to determine "best". Gibbs has been part of a defence that has conceded c.50% more goals than the defence that Bertrand has been part of. Indeed, Arsenal have the joint worst defence of the top 6 sides. It is therefore conceivable that Bertrand is a better defender (albeit as part of a better defensive unit rather than a better overall team) than Gibbs. Making player comparisons based on the 'better team' is a much broader brush than making player comparisons based on 'positional units' within teams.

IMO of course.

Edited by trousers

By that logic there would never be a Saints player called up. In that case why is Baines in the squad since Everton are languishing near the bottom of the league?

It's supposed to be based on how good the players are, not on how well their teams are performing. Where Baines is regarded as a decent player in an under performing Everton team, Gibbs is generally thought to be a fairly average player in an in form Arsenal team.

Bertrand is a key part of a defence that has only conceded 21 Premier League goals in 29 games. Best record in the league. Arsenal still look shaky at the back and Gibbs hasn't shone at all this season.

laughable if you think England would be any better under another manager. We're achieving at the right level for the quality of player that he has to choose from. No world class players, only one or two at the level below that. The fact we are topping our group is as much as we should hope for. Just not the calibre of players around to win international trophies.

laughable if you think England would be any better under another manager. We're achieving at the right level for the quality of player that he has to choose from. No world class players, only one or two at the level below that. The fact we are topping our group is as much as we should hope for. Just not the calibre of players around to win international trophies.

Tony Pulis should be England's next manager. He would be both effective and annoying.

The bloke does my f()cking head in. No idea at all.

Hart, Darlow, Heaton

Bertrand, Gibbs, Clyne, Cahill, Jagielka, Shawcross, Trippier, Tomkins.

Barkley, Walcott, Delph, Sterling, Mason, Hughes, Shelvey, Cork, Milner, Lallana

Austin, Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Kane

Standby: Berahino, Ings, Henderson, Walker, Cresswell

Hart, Darlow, Heaton

Barkley, Walcott, Delph, Sterling, Mason, Hughes, Shelvey, Cork, Milner, Lallana

Lol at not picking Forster... Or Henderson

Watching a bit of Everton playing Kiev in the Europa ...worrying to think that two of Everton's (frankly dire) back four are consider England first choice defenders.........

The only really decent CB we have is Cahill. We dropped a bollock when we publically denounced Terry. I mean, the blokes an idiot but he is still exceptional. The england team is starting to look half decent in the striking department again, midfields getting a bit stronger too.

Woeful in defence though, we have some excellent FBs coming through but CB is just dire.

The only really decent CB we have is Cahill. We dropped a bollock when we publically denounced Terry. I mean, the blokes an idiot but he is still exceptional. The england team is starting to look half decent in the striking department again, midfields getting a bit stronger too.

Woeful in defence though, we have some excellent FBs coming through but CB is just dire.

To true. Quality English CBs are a bit far and between these days. I know Baines has been injured but he looks a shadow of the player he was a couple of seasons ago yet is still rated more than Bertrand by Hodgoson.

Hart, Darlow, Heaton

Quite

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/18804/9766319/harry-kane-alan-shearer-on-england8217s-new-striker-hope

^^ oh jesus wept :mcinnes:

Comparing to the lad to Shearer....

This is why our team will never do well- too much pressure at a young age- let the lad perform consistently for a few years...

Look at Barkley, Wilshere etc all suffering as a result right now.

Who are those two English lads playing together at Swindon?

I thought, when appointed, that Woy would have a fresh approach to things. But no, it's just the same old script with (largely) new actors. I liked the way that the press didn't big us up for Brazil. But that all went out the window with Woys taking positives, we played well, etc etc, when we were dire. Now he just annoys me with his (almost) sanctimonious waffle. The England team has regressed in my mind to where it was a few years back - an irrelevance and a bore. What makes it worse is that when it is on TV, you have to put up with the inane guff coming from Andy Townsend and Clive Tyldesley. I know we are getting rid of Townsend soon, but he will be replaced with some equally idiotic journeyman.

Hart, Darlow, Heaton

LOL. So transparent. You only posted that entire squad just to get another dig in at Fraser Forster.

Best defensive record in the top division really sticking in the old throat ain't it Crabby?

What a mess we're in.

what Shawcross did wrong was the game against Sweden. He was so embarrassingly bad in that short time against someone skilful. No experience against European players at top level, bloke is decent in England, but not international quality. Poor distribution skills, good in the air, but most of the best teams don't play punt and cross football