Saints 2 Burnley 0 - Match Reaction

trousers

Man of the match v Burnley  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the match v Burnley

Kelvin made some great saves first half and we know he can do that.

His distribution was awful though and as you would think for someone of his age who hasnt played for a year he looked very slow and sluggish.

Overall didn't play great but did enough to win.

Feels soured a lot by the Forster injury though, could have big implications for next season too if its as bad as feared.

Sad thing is it was totally avoidable if he had come to get the ball from Bertrand in the first place. He was (as ever) rooted to his line. But hopefully its not as bad as feared.

Good game. Lucky to be in the lead at HT. But we were the far better side in the 2nd half

I think Pelle is hampering us at the mo. Just not very good currently

Pelle was active and was in the mix the whole match. I'll take a striker who gets chances versus one who doesn't.

Bertrand man of the match for me. The left side dominated the match today. Davis also has a very good game.

K. Davis stepped up bigtime, although his casual footwork scared the hell out of me.

As far as the result: Not really much to complain about, unless you like to complain.

a. we got three points

b. we kept a clean sheet

c. we retain 6th place.

d. We got our 16th win of the season (last year we had 15 wins)

e. Wanyama didn't pick up a yellow

Kelvin made some great saves first half and we know he can do that.

His distribution was awful though and as you would think for someone of his age who hasnt played for a year he looked very slow and sluggish.

Overall didn't play great but did enough to win.

Feels soured a lot by the Forster injury though, could have big implications for next season too if its as bad as feared.

Sad thing is it was totally avoidable if he had come to get the ball from Bertrand in the first place. He was (as ever) rooted to his line. But hopefully its not as bad as feared.

Well, time for a new keeper in the summer for sure.

You kidding, his link up play today was great, just lacking belief in front of goal. Should of scored I admit, but he won a lot of the ball against the two centre halfs for Burnley.

Each to their own. Shane long got more out of terry and Cahillast week IMO

Important three points.

Gutted for FF, yet still irritated that his decision making (or lack off) lead to the injury. Fingers crossed for a quick recovery.

Superb from Kelvin and Vic was superb when he came on.

Game of two halves, what a difference! Tadic had a mare first half, gave the ball away several times, thank goodness for KD, why is everyone worried about him? Better if we don't pass the ball back to him needlessly! Feel for Pelle, he worked so hard just not going for him but he is getting muddled in the box for sure - great hold up play.

Loved Big Vic crunching through those three tackles, he is awesome…We March On

From the BBC

Southampton goalkeeper Kelvin Davis: "We knew Burnley were going to be tough to break down but it is nice for manager Ronald Koeman to get the win on his birthday.

"It does not look good for Fraser Forster but we wish him all the best. It is a mental battle being a back-up goalkeeper and disappointing to come on in them circumstances.

"I see there is a spot opened up in the England side now."

Sums Kelv right up.

Thought Burnley were decent to be fair. Showed them a little lack of respect with the system in the first half and obviously looked a much more solid unit once Wanyama came on.

Feel for Pelle, guy must be really down but he is still getting in positions and his goal will eventually come.

Thought Burnley were decent to be fair. Showed them a little lack of respect with the system in the first half and obviously looked a much more solid unit once Wanyama came on.

Feel for Pelle, guy must be really down but he is still getting in positions and his goal will eventually come.

How is it a lack of respect? Odd comment. But agree Burnley are a decent side and I hope they stay up.

Well, time for a new keeper in the summer for sure.

this is really my hobby horse and I wrote we should have had a more experienced goalie ....when we came up from the Championship...fortunately we got Boruc.

Really hope Forster's injury is less serious than feared, but he may well be out for the rest of the season.

Everyone seems to suggest that KD is playing out time on his contract, and if he were to keep another half-dozen clean sheets he'd be worth it, but time will tell.

Bring back Boruc ?....sounds the safest thing to do.....but will Koeman do it.?

Kelvin filled in ably and made a couple of great saves. Morgan was majestic, never flustered. Pelle linked play well although fluffing a couple of good chances was unlucky not to score...just needs a goal to set him off again. Toby a class act and like Morgan seems to make time and space for himself.

MOTM though, Bertrand. He had a storming game, if the pundits don't feature him tonight exposing his bizarre exclusion from the England side you'll know there's something strange going on. :?

Kelvin filled in ably and made a couple of great saves. Morgan was majestic, never flustered. Pelle linked play well although fluffing a couple of good chances was unlucky not to score...just needs a goal to set him off again. Toby a class act and like Morgan seems to make time and space for himself.

MOTM though, Bertrand. He had a storming game, if the pundits don't feature him tonight exposing his bizarre exclusion from the England side you'll know there's something strange going on. :?

it is just bizarre. well, not so I guess. Players at clubs like saints have to show far greater consistency compared to a player at a 'top 4' side.

I even think Bertrand has a couple of caps...when he was in and out of the chelsea side.....figures

Thought that too. His delivery was excellent in the first half.

And yet he's the player with the highest number of wayward passes in the PL, perhaps they count the numerous centres that his forwards don't get on the end of though. Trippier attempts 40 odd passes per game on average and about 40% of them go astray.

Palace are now above Newcastle in the league.

Those deluded geordies said what??? PARDEW OUT!!!!! LONDON MAFIA!!!!!!

Good manager, poor team, probably because the good manager didn't recruit them. Carver says a lot of his players aren't good enough for the PL, then again neither is he.