Jeremy Clarkson sacked by the BBC

Saint-Armstrong

The BBC have more leaks than a Jamie Oliver colander .

Who needs Snowden when you have the BBC

I would prefer if the BBC carried out disciplinary hearings correctly instead of leaking details before the appellants have been notified

Did they pass you over for a job once? You seem v bitter about the BBC

I hope he has been binned, have more time spent on the cars rather than a **** on a motorised lawnmower or racing an Alfa 4c against a public school Tory on a quad bike.

I waited 4 years for the 4c review and they spent most of it focusing on clarkson in a quad bike. What a f\/cling waste of the show.

In sure sky will find a way for him to fill 40 minutes of advert riddled shiit with his sycophants side kicks

I find Clarkson's prog. very entertaining and although having been a driver for over 40 years, I'm not a " car person " as such, however....few people can have garnered such a huge audience " world wide " ....(350 million in 170 countries did I read).....:scared: as Clarkson apparantly has.

...it should be understood that despite his outbursts and occasional dubious public comments, that Clarkson has become a media superstar with a following as great as that of any Messi or Ronaldo. The Beeb (in it's wisdom) has taken the high road and thrown the baby out with the bathwater....

Clarkson's shows earn (a reported umpteen £000 millions) which is now unrepeatable / irreplaceable business, and you can bet your TV licence that the loss of income will eventually be passed down to the viewers......

Though not my favourite person....I hope Clarkson gets a big redundancy settlement, and a new contract from ITV .....with an even bigger salary....

The Beeb in turn will (hopefully) find producers "savvy enough" to know how to deal with "superstars" and know how to "fix things" like a meal of steak and chips.

(surely a local restaurant / hotel would have done a suitable takeaway in such circumstances ..or didn't anyone think of that ?)

Oh dear, some of you Clarkson haters are really quite vitriolic in your hatred aren't you? I should try and keep things in some kind of perspective if I was you. Nobody died.

If JC did hit this producer then he had to go of course - I doubt that many will disagree with that - but I've enjoyed Top Gear over the years and I'll be sorry to see it go - if that is what happens now.

The reality is his contract is up next Tuesday, and it won't be renewed. Either way.

My guess is it will suit Clarkson's future plans to create some antagonism between himself and the BBC. He'll milk that for publicity, he's not a fool.

"My Predictions

1. BBC sack Clarkson.

2. Rest of Top Gear team leave.

3. Replaced by Ant & Dec with Clare Balding.

4. 'More Powerrrr!' starts on Sky with Clarkson, Hammond and May.

5. BBC cancel new Top Gear after one series.

6. Sky make £200m annual profit from 'More Powerrrrr!'

7. BBC Director General resigns after BBC Worldwide makes losses of £300m a year.

8. Ex BBC DG becomes a Labour peer."

Phase 1 complete

Clarkson's shows earn (a reported umpteen £000 millions) which is now unrepeatable / irreplaceable business, and you can bet your TV licence that the loss of income will eventually be passed down to the viewers......

The article says £50m and that the BBC are already working on a replacement for him and will keep the name of the show. Whilst they are right to decide what to do based on the facts of his behaviour and to ignore the profits in that decision, that does not mean that they ditch the show without him!

I hope he has been binned, have more time spent on the cars rather than a **** on a motorised lawnmower or racing an Alfa 4c against a public school Tory on a quad bike.

I waited 4 years for the 4c review and they spent most of it focusing on clarkson in a quad bike. What a f\/cling waste of the show.

In sure sky will find a way for him to fill 40 minutes of advert riddled shiit with his sycophants side kicks

This, mostly. I enjoyed some bits of the show but frankly the "reviews" of cars that normal people might want to buy or drive were scarce and no use to anyone

Criticising new generation ''Top Gear'' for not being the traditional 'motoring magazine' style programme it once was is akin to complaining about the lack of space aliens on ''Casualty'' - IE that was not what the it was all about. This should be obvious to anyone who has seen the series is it not?

I happen to think that in this age of 500 channel TV their really should be room somewhere on our screens for a series that reviews how good the the latest £9,000 hatchback is and where you might get the best chamois leather available for under a tenner, and one where 3 blokes go around the world messing about in Ferrari's etc.

Criticising new generation ''Top Gear'' for not being the traditional 'motoring magazine' style programme it once was is akin to complaining about the lack of space aliens on ''Casualty'' - IE that was not what the it was all about. This should be obvious to anyone who has seen the series is it not?

I happen to think that in this age of 500 channel TV their really should be room somewhere on our screens for a series that reviews how good the the latest £9,000 hatchback is and where you might get the best chamois leather available for under a tenner, and one where 3 blokes go around the world messing about in Ferrari's etc.

Agree with this. Unfortunately, whenever I've seen a series where they talk cars, they've been utter, utter trash, with bad and boring presenting. Take Fifth Gear ... I have no words for how awful that program was (is?) with that bloody Vicky Butler-Henderson screaming and the boring bloke who I can't name. Tiff was the best presenter and he can properly drive.

Oh dear, some of you Clarkson haters are really quite vitriolic in your hatred aren't you? I should try and keep things in some kind of perspective if I was you. Nobody died.

If JC did hit this producer then he had to go of course - I doubt that many will disagree with that - but I've enjoyed Top Gear over the years and I'll be sorry to see it go - if that is what happens now.

I'm a big Top Gear fan, but I am sure we will see a pretty similar program pop up elsewhere. It is also getting a bit long in the tooth, they are running out of ideas, so a fresh start may do then all well.

Find it funny how people sneer and judge those who enjoy Top Gear, just because they don't. Seems a very churlish thing to do.

Agree with this. Unfortunately, whenever I've seen a series where they talk cars, they've been utter, utter trash, with bad and boring presenting. Take Fifth Gear ... I have no words for how awful that program was (is?) with that bloody Vicky Butler-Henderson screaming and the boring bloke who I can't name. Tiff was the best presenter and he can properly drive.

100% this. There is plenty of space for dull, predictable 5th gear type reviews if people want that. But Top Gear could, and should, have done reviews of cars, whether £9k hatchbacks or £30-35k exec saloons, in its usual style including a track test and banter etc but make them relevant and informative at the same time. Still plenty of room in the hour long show for jolly rocket explosions or whatever, for viewers who dont want to know how a car drives

This, mostly. I enjoyed some bits of the show but frankly the "reviews" of cars that normal people might want to buy or drive were scarce and no use to anyone

It's not been about that since it was redesigned by Andy Wilman and Clarkson - it's much more about blending car culture with Tony Scott visual aesthetics and a three-headed Mr Bean.

The quite separate issue of Clarkson's 'fracas' with his producer has to do with the unavoidable consequences of what is alleged to be a physical assault. No one, no matter how 'irreplaceable', is going to remain in position if this basic claim is not disputed. Whatever we might feel about Clarkson - and I would certainly agree he's a rare talent - the outcome of this was inevitable. He'll now be reinvented on ITV, working with producers equipped with body armour.

100% this. There is plenty of space for dull, predictable 5th gear type reviews if people want that. But Top Gear could, and should, have done reviews of cars, whether £9k hatchbacks or £30-35k exec saloons, in its usual style including a track test and banter etc but make them relevant and informative at the same time. Still plenty of room in the hour long show for jolly rocket explosions or whatever, for viewers who dont want to know how a car drives

Thing is, I don't really know anyone who bothered by a boring review anyway, most people are loyal(ish) to certain brands and wouldn't touch other brands. My current cars, one I bought new in June and the other new in October. I didn't read any reviews, I just went to drive them and liked them and then bought.

I honestly suspect that's the same for most people who buy a car? I might be wrong though, some people may be swayed as to whether one boring looking car is marginally better than another boring looking car.

And let's be honest, unless you're buying some ridiculously priced car, they are all pretty dull to look at and pretty much the same to drive now.

I used to enjoy Top Gear when it was less staged and manufactured - can't watch it now because the "comedy" in the show is all so set-up. Good that the BBC have been strong about this and decided to go against public opinion, the guy has been so close to a sacking several times now and so it's finally come to pass.

They'll end up going to Sky and continuing to act like 14 year old boys well into their 80s for an absolute f*ckload of money. Good for them.

I'm betting this thread has more comments by tomorrow night than the airbus crash one and that is not a good rep of our value system as humans, this will make me sad :(

Not sure what else there is to say about the plane crash. It doesn't look like it was a bomb, just some kind of mechanical failure. It is very sad but doesn't stir up the sort of controversy that people like Clarkson do.

And let's be honest, unless you're buying some ridiculously priced car, they are all pretty dull to look at and pretty much the same to drive now.

Exactly this - there are very few bad cars - and most of the ones which do exist tend to be at the expensive end of the market not the middle because small production runs leave more niggles in place than cars made by the million.

The Warranty Direct claims survey is always fascinating for busting myths that people have about 'their' 'premium' German brand though.

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

Edited by buctootim

Why should Top Gear have done anything differently though? It was a ridiculously popular/successful programme.

I used to enjoy Top Gear when it was less staged and manufactured - can't watch it now because the "comedy" in the show is all so set-up. Good that the BBC have been strong about this and decided to go against public opinion, the guy has been so close to a sacking several times now and so it's finally come to pass.

They'll end up going to Sky and continuing to act like 14 year old boys well into their 80s for an absolute f*ckload of money. Good for them.

agree life moves on but you can,t go hitting someone with no come back.

Exactly this - there are very few bad cars - and most of the ones which do exist tend to be at the expensive end of the market not the middle because small production runs leave more niggles in place than cars made by the million.

The Warranty Direct claims survey is always fascinating for busting myths that people have about 'their' 'premium' German brand though.

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

People don't buy German cars for reliability though, they go for the premium feel, better engines, refinement etc.

Same with Range Rover, Jaguar etc, they're all pretty **** reliabaility wise. The only thing I've always found confusing is why Skoda is always far better reliability wise than Seat and Volkswagon.

People don't buy German cars for reliability though, they go for the premium feel, better engines, refinement etc.

Same with Range Rover, Jaguar etc, they're all pretty **** reliabaility wise. The only thing I've always found confusing is why Skoda is always far better reliability wise than Seat and Volkswagon.

Sure - Im not saying a Daihatsu is a better car than a BMW 6 series - but given you are paying around 8 times the price for what is still an engine, electrics and four wheels you'd expect reliability to at least be equal.

Re Skoda, cheaper labour so more spent on better components? no idea.

Sure - Im not saying a Daihatsu is a better car than a BMW 6 series - but given you are paying around 8 times the price for what is still an engine, electrics and four wheels you'd expect reliability to at least be equal.

Re Skoda, cheaper labour so more spent on better components? no idea.

That's the point, the components are the same as VW own both Seat and Skoda.

The reason BMW's will be less reliable than Daihatsu is due to the way they are built, with different practices between the European and Japanese/Korean counterparts, as well as there generally being more that can go wrong on a BMW. If you look at the list it is generally more 'basic' cars that are reliable. Lexus are pretty much the only outliers, although I remember they used to be number 1 in the JD Power surveys, so perhaps they can't keep it up either with the increase in tech.

That's the point, the components are the same as VW own both Seat and Skoda.

The reason BMW's will be less reliable than Daihatsu is due to the way they are built, with different practices between the European and Japanese/Korean counterparts, as well as there generally being more that can go wrong on a BMW. If you look at the list it is generally more 'basic' cars that are reliable. Lexus are pretty much the only outliers, although I remember they used to be number 1 in the JD Power surveys, so perhaps they can't keep it up either with the increase in tech.

All VAG cars share floorplans and components.

I'm happy enough with my older BMW. Don't have too many problems with it, and would rather deal with Beemer problems (fk, gotta take it down the garage) than Toyota problems (brakes failing and insta-death).

If there is not one rule for one and not other why make these findings public. I have been involved with situations like this at work and the findings remain confidential.

What he means is that is one rule for the minions and one for the celebrities.

I also find it odd that there is so much brown nosing going on. He smacked someone in the face after giving him the verbals for 20 minutes FFS.

Also am I right in thinking he hasn't been sacked? There is a difference between being sacked and not having your contract renewed.

I'm happy enough with my older BMW. Don't have too many problems with it, and would rather deal with Beemer problems (fk, gotta take it down the garage) than Toyota problems (brakes failing and insta-death).

Nicer place to sit in the interim as well.

Its undeniable that a car that frequently doesnt move is safer than one that does. Safety first boys!

If there is not one rule for one and not other why make these findings public. I have been involved with situations like this at work and the findings remain confidential.

What he means is that is one rule for the minions and one for the celebrities.

I also find it odd that there is so much brown nosing going on. He smacked someone in the face after giving him the verbals for 20 minutes FFS.

Also am I right in thinking he hasn't been sacked? There is a difference between being sacked and not having your contract renewed.

Correct, his contract with the BBC expires in six days - so hardly any point in sacking him, from their side of things.

Quality statement. Genuinely.

Yup. Think that is a mature and sensible response which clarifies the Beeb's position, does justice to Clarkson's contribution and allays any concerns about the role of the producer, now or moving forward.

Yup. Think that is a mature and sensible response which clarifies the Beeb's position, does justice to Clarkson's contribution and allays any concerns about the role of the producer, now or moving forward.

Yep. As a long time viewer of Top Gear I'm disappointed it's got to this, but that's what happens when you smack a colleague in the face.