Brand voted 4th most influential thinker

sadoldgit

In a week when the news has been dominated by huge events such as the sacking of Jeremy Clarkson and the leaving of One Direction of Zayn Whatshisface, another shattering piece of news. Russell Brand has been voted 4th most influential thinker in the world by readers of current affairs magazine, Prospect.

:mcinnes:

Forsooth, it is because you have become a mouthpiece of the Establishment Bourgeoisie that you fail to understand the need of the modern proletariat for a raffish personality who is able to converse and engage in a prolonged diatribe about the perceived ills of this consumer driven world that we all inhabit....or some b*ll*cks like that!

Unfortunately he has found that his voice resonates with a sizeable percentage of the population who don't want to engage their own brain, instead relying on a 'Celebrity' to do their thinking for them. Most of what he says is utter nonsense, but occasionally he comes out with some dangerous stuff! The Don't vote rubbish he was spouting when he was interviewed by Paxman is the reason you end up with UKIP/BNP et al in positions of power and influence. Although my favourite moment was when he was challenged on Question Time to stand for Parliament, and he said 'I don't want to become one of them' as if he knew he wouldn't be able to stand up for his own convictions. The great thing about these individuals is that they eventually drown in their own hypocrisy.

Pathetic.

But this has not been accurately reported. Prospect Magazine asked their readers to select their "favourite" thinkers.

The Daily Mail identifies Naomi Klein as a "US author", by the way; she is, of course, Canadian! :)

Thank you for the correction. The report I read did wrongly say "influential" gut I guess if they chose favourites that implies a kind of influence.

I saw a film the other day called God Bless America. It's a satire on how shallow/rubbish popular culture has become. I also recently read a book called 'Amusing ourselves to death' by Neil Postman (written in 1985 and never out of print) It's about how the news creates news among other things. Very pertinent because since seeing that film and reading that book, the news in the last couple of days has switched from people dying in a plane crash to Jeremy Clarkson being fired and some guy leaving a manufactured 'reality-talent show' band. I'm now being told that Russell Brand is a top, influential 'thinker'......glad i'm slowly detaching myself from it and finding other things to do and learning to see through it all.

The problem with Brand's incoherent nonsense is that whilst he's spouting it , he's denying a serious thinker airtime . The BBC are obsessed with turning him into some sort of working class hero anti establishment figure , when he's anything but . If I was a leftie I would be annoyed that they are promoting this fake at the expense of someone with serious credable thoughts . They do the same with that racist Abbott , and it's typical of the dumbing down of the political procees in this country .

The problem with Brand's incoherent nonsense is that whilst he's spouting it , he's denying a serious thinker airtime . The BBC are obsessed with turning him into some sort of working class hero anti establishment figure , when he's anything but . If I was a leftie I would be annoyed that they are promoting this fake at the expense of someone with serious credable thoughts . They do the same with that racist Abbott , and it's typical of the dumbing down of the political procees in this country .

What I like about you Lord D is you have absolutely no time whatsoever for people whose entire schtick is how anti-establishment they are when they are clearly, completely and unequivocally part of the establishment.

You hate those people, don't you?

I think most people who hate Brand do so because they know he is right most of the time.

To be honest I don't listen to much of what he has to say so I wouldn't know if he is right or not. I get sidetracked by all the preening and posing for the cameras.

I think most people who hate Brand do so because they know he is right most of the time.

This is a wind up isn't it? I don't think he's ever been right. He says what stupid people want to hear, and they lap it up thinking it's the way the world and economics work, and it just doesn't work that way.

This is a wind up isn't it? I don't think he's ever been right. He says what stupid people want to hear, and they lap it up thinking it's the way the world and economics work, and it just doesn't work that way.

He's not addressing closed minded people like yourself he's addressing open minded youngsters who believe that the world can be changed & he's very good at it.

You just described Nigel Farage perfectly :D

He's not addressing closed minded people like yourself he's addressing open minded youngsters who believe that the world can be changed & he's very good at it.

Ah come on, you don't really believe that do you? We were all young and wanting to change the world once, then we grew up and realised that actually, it's not a bad place, certainly not this country anyway!

The guy is a helmet and a massive hypocrite, can't stand him.

Ah come on, you don't really believe that do you? We were all young and wanting to change the world once, then we grew up and realised that actually, it's not a bad place, certainly not this country anyway!

The guy is a helmet and a massive hypocrite, can't stand him.

I do. Remember I work with 16-19yo who, in the main, live on social media and he appeals to them as he's not a politician and they get what he's saying.

Most youngsters have no interest in main stream politics as represented by the main parties but they do want a better world. Brand talks to them and they get it.

He's not attempting to influence the likes of us but who knows what influence he will have of those following us. Only the foolish dismiss men like him and his impact he has on young minds using social media.

What impact has he had? What are his great ideas the youth of today are thankfully taking on board?

He's not attempting to influence the likes of us but who knows what influence he will have of those following us. Only the foolish dismiss men like him and his impact he has on young minds using social media.

He is successful at engaging the young, but then they find out he's got no solutions or even usable tactics so they'll get even more disenchanted and dis-enfranchised. You've got to have more to offer than "its really bad and unfair".

What impact has he had? What are his great ideas the youth of today are thankfully taking on board?

The youngsters I deal with believe that the way we are governed needs to be radically changed as does the way wealth is generated and distributed. They listen to Brand's ideas and they get it and like it.

We as a generation may not like it, or even understand why others do, but the simple truth is, he's hit a cord with a swathe of young people.

He is successful at engaging the young, but then they find out he's got no solutions or even usable tactics so they'll get even more disenchanted and dis-enfranchised. You've got to have more to offer than "its really bad and unfair".

Or they decide that change is possible and become more engaged.

It's better than the status quo though.

The youngsters I deal with believe that the way we are governed needs to be radically changed as does the way wealth is generated and distributed. They listen to Brand's ideas and they get it and like it.

We as a generation may not like it, or even understand why others do, but the simple truth is, he's hit a cord with a swathe of young people.

Is that it?

They must be more clever than I am, genuinely, as I don't understand half the stuff he writes. I'm being semi-facetious, but maybe I am thick, because I just don't understand his random ranting about how terrible everything is.

I do. Remember I work with 16-19yo who, in the main, live on social media and he appeals to them as he's not a politician and they get what he's saying.

Most youngsters have no interest in main stream politics as represented by the main parties but they do want a better world. Brand talks to them and they get it.

Are these the same 16-19 year olds who don't know how student loans work? Sounds about right judging by Brand's economic knowhow.

They must be more clever than I am, genuinely, as I don't understand half the stuff he writes. I'm being semi-facetious, but maybe I am thick, because I just don't understand his random ranting about how terrible everything is.

I don't get it myself but the youngsters seem to. Loads subscribe to his youtube channel.

Says the man with such a closed mind he cannot fathom that people from a different region in a different social class have different views on wealth, work and debt.

Not at all, of course they have different views, I never denied tha? Show me where I denied that they should have a different view on debt. What I said is that they should be intelligent enough to realise how a student loan works if they are intelligent enough to go to University. Obviously I have a higher opinion of our students than you do.