JWP

washsaint

LOL.

Oh, and disregard what Hodgson says if you like. Are you also going to disregard Adkins, Poch, Ron and Southgate too?

JWP would be in the match-day squad for any PL team, including Chelsea and Man City and playing regularly for 18 of them.

Faz, the only way Prowsey would be in the match day squad of Chelsea and Man City is if they needed to fill a quota of home grown players. He played a good 45 minutes yesterday against Everton, but over the season (for Saints) he hasn't been that good. Leaving aside things like technical skills the main issue I see going against him is the lack of athleticism - he's not a runner; he can't quicken or beat a man - he plods and runs out of puff.

Faz, the only way Prowsey would be in the match day squad of Chelsea and Man City is if they needed to fill a quota of home grown players. He played a good 45 minutes yesterday against Everton, but over the season (for Saints) he hasn't been that good. Leaving aside things like technical skills the main issue I see going against him is the lack of athleticism - he's not a runner; he can't quicken or beat a man - he plods and runs out of puff.

Let me know when you find a fotball person who agrees with you.

. Leaving aside things like technical skills the main issue I see going against him is the lack of athleticism - he's not a runner; he can't quicken or beat a man - he plods and runs out of puff.

I said the same about Beckham lol

Said on sunday supplement that they have it on good authority that JWP will be considered for promotion to the full england set up after the U21 championships in the summer

Must be true if that bunch of farts say it. Really people do believe some rubbish.

That said, England midfield is crap so maybe not as completely stupid as might be expected from that source.

Must be true if that bunch of farts say it. Really people do believe some rubbish.

That said, England midfield is crap so maybe not as completely stupid as might be expected from that source.

Apart from Roy Hodgson also saying it, but still, some people believe such crap. But then Coming from someone that used to rave about Tanadari Lee, I would suggest you have the talent spotting ability of a blind man at grab a granny night so I don't think we should be too concerned with your opinion.

Apart from Roy Hodgson also saying it, but still, some people believe such crap. But then Coming from someone that used to rave about Tanadari Lee, I would suggest you have the talent spotting ability of a blind man at grab a granny night so I don't think we should be too concerned with your opinion.

It was great when you weren't here for a while. So Roy Hodgson thinks JWP is great, well never mind if you think that is a ringing endorsement. Your recall of what I thought about Tadanari Lee (at least I recall his name) is somewhat defective, like the rest of your memory and posts. On the evidence of his first few games he looked good, injuries (self inflicted) cost him, doesn't mean he wasn't good at the time. Problem with you, like one or two others on here, is that you cannot move on and see that things change over time, just because someone was good or bad once doesn't mean things don't change over time. Just as I expect JWP to improve over time, but at least I don't have the blinkered view of you that he is some god-like gifeted player and because a few **** journos who hardly ever see him play and probably wouldn't recognise him if they saw him say he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I watch him week in week out and can see his limitations, because even a blind man could see them. Now, toddle off back toyour grab a granny night because clearly it is something you know a lot about (I suppose there has to be something that you have expertise in).

It was great when you weren't here for a while. So Roy Hodgson thinks JWP is great, well never mind if you think that is a ringing endorsement. Your recall of what I thought about Tadanari Lee (at least I recall his name) is somewhat defective, like the rest of your memory and posts. On the evidence of his first few games he looked good, injuries (self inflicted) cost him, doesn't mean he wasn't good at the time. Problem with you, like one or two others on here, is that you cannot move on and see that things change over time, just because someone was good or bad once doesn't mean things don't change over time. Just as I expect JWP to improve over time, but at least I don't have the blinkered view of you that he is some god-like gifeted player and because a few **** journos who hardly ever see him play and probably wouldn't recognise him if they saw him say he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I watch him week in week out and can see his limitations, because even a blind man could see them. Now, toddle off back toyour grab a granny night because clearly it is something you know a lot about (I suppose there has to be something that you have expertise in).

:lol: its you who has the clouded memory my pedigree chum. You raved about him and when I said he wouldn't cut it in the premier League you accused me of being racist and wanting him to fail because he is Japanese!!

Anyway, I'm like JWP, think he's got a lot of ability and potential and will be a good player for us in the next few years, it seems the saints manager now and previously plus the England manager agrees with me and not you. But then I probably only rate him because he's white and English :lol:

Said on sunday supplement that they have it on good authority that JWP will be considered for promotion to the full england set up after the U21 championships in the summer

It's clear that JWP is an intelligent footballer who sees a pass... Unfortunately his lack of pace and physicality may inhibit his progress into a top player. He was very good for the U21s recently but the EPL is far more aggressive and time on the ball at a premium.

As for senior squad selection, nothing surprises me with Hodgson at the helm.

JWP is a very promising young player. Next season will be a big test for him to push on. Reckon when he gets his first goal he'll suddenly start scoring more. He was incredibly unlucky with that great save from Howard yesterday. He is only 20.

In general the goal input from our midfield the second half of the season has been poor.

The FA are making a lot about the England DNA and the "golden strand" through the year groups with the "only thing changing is the size of the shirt" with continuity being the key. It's not surprising that they would look at JWP as a strong candidate to progress given that stand point, so I think it's highly likely he will get his chance, and then it will be up to him to take it. Regardless of what most think on here, he does have time on his side.

Don't be too harsh on the old boy. He's equally capable of change. Having once derided Les Reed as the chief architect of the whole failed southampton way and as having the cushiest job in football, he's now his number one fan.

Times change, pal.

Don't be too harsh on the old boy. He's equally capable of change. Having once derided Les Reed as the chief architect of the whole failed southampton way and as having the cushiest job in football, he's now his number one fan.

Times change, pal.

Absolutely right. I've readily admitted several times I called that wrongly. Nice try.

so basically if JWP turns into an England legend and a top attacking midfielder in 5 years time VectisSaint can say he called it wrong and there is no harm no foul?

I've no problem with that, what I have a problem with and something that it a constant theme on here is people saying things then denying they said it, or twisting what they did say. When I, quite politely, disagreed with his view on Lee he launched Into tirade accusing me of being racist and wanting him to fail, when the truth was I just didn't think he was very good. I've admitted several times in the past that at one point I though reed was nothing more than Corteses yes man and a bit of a puppet, I've since found out his actually been a key figure in our rise.

so basically if JWP turns into an England legend and a top attacking midfielder in 5 years time VectisSaint can say he called it wrong and there is no harm no foul?
I've already put my answer in. Already said I expect him to improve. That doesn't alter the fact that here and now he is not good enough for a top 7 PL team. Have to say, and pleased to do so, that what I saw of yesterday's game he was having a good game, until he was strangely subbed off. His shot that Howard saved was extremely good. Maybe the expected improvement is beginning to appear. Let's hope so. I actually think that part of the issue with him (other than the facts that he is awfully slow, cannot tackle and his a liability to the defence) is that he does not fit well into Koeman's style. England u21 play a different system, as do England, maybe if he improves the other aspects of his game he could be good for the national team/u21s. But I really don't care too much about that, my interest is Saints first and foremost.

I've already put my answer in. Already said I expect him to improve. That doesn't alter the fact that here and now he is not good enough for a top 7 PL team. Have to say, and pleased to do so, that what I saw of yesterday's game he was having a good game, until he was strangely subbed off. His shot that Howard saved was extremely good. Maybe the expected improvement is beginning to appear. Let's hope so. I actually think that part of the issue with him (other than the facts that he is awfully slow, cannot tackle and his a liability to the defence) is that he does not fit well into Koeman's style. England u21 play a different system, as do England, maybe if he improves the other aspects of his game he could be good for the national team/u21s. But I really don't care too much about that, my interest is Saints first and foremost.

England have a system :scared:

I remember a young player called Michael Channon getting dogs abuse when I went to The Dell for the first few times. The football sages around me told me that he would never be any good as he kept falling on his @rse. JWP is a decent player and will be important for us in seasons to come.

• 3 months later...

Start of JWP's 4th PL season and arguably he is further away from being a regular than when he was 18.

Massive season for him, as neither a defensive nor attacking player, what is his role in the team?

Obvious technical talent, but it just hasn't translated into game influence in his 3 PL seasons so far.

Start of JWP's 4th PL season and arguably he is further away from being a regular than when he was 18.

Massive season for him, as neither a defensive nor attacking player, what is his role in the team?

Obvious technical talent, but it just hasn't translated into game influence in his 3 PL seasons so far.

Just needs a set position at which he can then influence games. A part of this will be developing his presence on the pitch physically - when you can't beat a man or shield the ball very well you severely limit your opportunities to influence a game with your quality. It'll come, but he needs a position soon.

Just needs a set position at which he can then influence games. A part of this will be developing his presence on the pitch physically - when you can't beat a man or shield the ball very well you severely limit your opportunities to influence a game with your quality. It'll come' date=' but he needs a position soon.[/quote']

Is he suddenly going to develop those physical attributes?

Does he mentally have the toughness or aggressio/determination needed to play in central midfield?

I hope so, but am not sure.

One thing though that I am sure about is that the constant media hype and comments from Hodgson probably do him no favours and heap more pressure on.

Is he suddenly going to develop those physical attributes?

Does he mentally have the toughness or aggressio/determination needed to play in central midfield?

I hope so, but am not sure.

One thing though that I am sure about is that the constant media hype and comments from Hodgson probably do him no favours and heap more pressure on.

He likely won't grow taller but he can work on his core strength and maybe his general size. Without pace nor strength you really do limit your opportunities in the Premier League if you also don't have the agility or skill to give yourself time when you have the ball. JWP is clever at making space to receive the ball, but when he has it he often has to release it before he is closed down as he won't be beating anyone with the ball nor shielding it too well with his frame.

I think he is a very good footballer, he needs time. The question is whether he'll get that on the pitch given our progress as a club recently.

I really don't think he's going to cut it. He offers very little imo, too lightweight, no pace, power or aggresion and poor in front of goal. His delivery from set pieces is ok, but that's about it. I'm really not sure what his role is. He seems like a good kid, but I think he will end up at a bottom half premier league club or maybe the Championship. I think he gets a bit of extra media exposure because he's young, English and plays for Saints, which canlead to lazy articles and people thinking he's the next big thing. Sadly, he's not.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

- When David Beckham was 20 years old all he had done was play 5 games on loan at Preston North End in the 3rd tier.

vs

- James Ward-Prowse at 20 years old has played in 74 Premier League games.

I'm not saying Ward-Prowse will definitely get to the same level as Beckham. But its amazing how many forget just how much experience he already has at his age.

As Pancake said above, some of these comments are reminiscent of writing Schneiderlin off at a young age. Ward-Prowse is already a long way ahead of where Schneiderlin was at the same age.

Bloody hopeless sideways and backwards today dictating the appalling lack of tempo.

Yeah that was really starting to annoy me. He also tries to do a Gerrard style ping diagonal pass which always went to their player.

If I had to pick either Reed or JWP to play I'd pick Reed everytime right now.

- When David Beckham was 20 years old all he had done was play 5 games on loan at Preston North End in the 3rd tier.

vs

- James Ward-Prowse at 20 years old has played in 74 Premier League games.

I'm not saying Ward-Prowse will definitely get to the same level as Beckham. But its amazing how many forget just how much experience he already has at his age.

As Pancake said above, some of these comments are reminiscent of writing Schneiderlin off at a young age. Ward-Prowse is already a long way ahead of where Schneiderlin was at the same age.

This drivel is a non sequitur on so many levels.

-

In Morgan's third year he was already a starter for us. I can understand maybe some were writing Morgan off during our relegation season but don't recall many taking shots at him when he got to the 50+ game mark?

Your point is valid but the difference is Morgan got to grow with the squad as we picked ourselves up off the floor. JWP will not have that chance so he has to hit the floor running. In the PL you can't carry anybody.

I hope it works out for JWP as he has been with us a long time. But we have had similar people we thought were going to be good and they didn't turn out that way. For every Morgan turning out ok there is a Surman or a Mcgoldrick. I remember when people were lauding up Lloyd James as the next big thing.

This drivel is a non sequitur on so many levels.

It absolutely isn't. It's a sensible point, relevant to the topic at hand. Prowse clearly has an abundance of potential but needs to find his role. There are plenty of great professional who weren't where he is in his career at the same age which should give hope for coming seasons.