The Wii U Thread

pap

I'll tell you what doesn't get much love around here; the Nintendo Wii U.

I know that in this Soccer AM age of lads and first person shooters, Nintendo stuff can seem desperately uncool or twee. I couldn't give a hoot about any of that. I've had a Nintendo console of some form or another ever since the shoebox NES. Irrespective of the underlying technical capability, their under-the-TV hardware has always played host to some of the best games of the generation.

Not really any different with the Wii U. Mario Kart 8 is the best racing game bar none, imo - and there is nothing even approaching the quality of Super Mario 3D World on other consoles. Now that many of Nintendo's staple hits (such as Smash Bros, Mario Party) have been reinvented for the platform, the console is getting a load of play in our house.

Anyone got one? What's the most fun you've had so far?

Just picked one up for son no. 2, and we are all sitting round playing mario bros. Good fun console.

The 2D game can be a wee bit frustrating in multiplayer. Super Mario 3D World has worked all those kinks out. Fantastic game, and there still isn't a Wii U Mario Galaxy out yet either.

Had one about a month now, got a basic for 99 squid in the recent tesco clear out and stuck a 64GB stick in the back.

The games ive played Ive enjoyed, Nintendoland, Bayonetta 2 (wow!), Smash Bros., Super Mario.

I do find the interface quite dated, especially the eshop. The normal controller is clunky and the screen on it is unresponsive compared to my smartphone or vita.

I like that its back comptable with Wii games though.

I do really want one, but find Nintendo's are best for multiplayer with mates. As I have no mates that have a Wii-U, or any mates that come to mine with any regularity (apparently going from one end of the tube to the other is FAR too much effort) it wouldn't get played enough to justify it.

It's hard enough finding time to get on the ps4 without the gf having a nag.

This may all change once Zelda comes out. From what I have seen of it so far it looks like it could be mega (please, please be mega!).

I do really want one, but find Nintendo's are best for multiplayer with mates. As I have no mates that have a Wii-U, or any mates that come to mine with any regularity (apparently going from one end of the tube to the other is FAR too much effort) it wouldn't get played enough to justify it.

It's hard enough finding time to get on the ps4 without the gf having a nag.

This may all change once Zelda comes out. From what I have seen of it so far it looks like it could be mega (please, please be mega!).

This is the beauty of having kids. If you need game buddies, you can just ground the sprogs :)

That has not been necessary, tho'

Zelda would never really be the jumping on point for me. Tends to arrive far too late in the cycle, and loads of other ace stuff is out by then.

Smash Bros is just a fine fighting game, on Wii U or DS. I know it's not strictly Nintendo (HAL Laboratories), but it really nails what they're about. It's as much platformer as it is fighting game, really accessible yet bloody difficult to master.

This is the beauty of having kids. If you need game buddies, you can just ground the sprogs :)

That has not been necessary, tho'

Zelda would never really be the jumping on point for me. Tends to arrive far too late in the cycle, and loads of other ace stuff is out by then.

Smash Bros is just a fine fighting game, on Wii U or DS. I know it's not strictly Nintendo (HAL Laboratories), but it really nails what they're about. It's as much platformer as it is fighting game, really accessible yet bloody difficult to master.

Hmmm, sprogs are some way in the future for me! Can barely look after myself, let alone a little me! ;) Would love to have a little gaming buddy round the house though. I try so hard to get the gf into games, as I'm not really a 'hardcore gamer' in that I don't really care for most AAA games, and I'm pretty bored of violent trope ridden titles that are churned out constantly. Not a dig, get why people like them, just not for me. I'm more into weird, quirky type games. Loving this at the minute for example. There's some really amazing stuff coming out of the indie scene right now. Before I get on too much of a tangent, and start a rant I've probably had before on here. Games writing is just crap, and there's a massive lack of ambition. Games need more diversity all round, from creators, to protagonists, to stories. Anyway, sorry I'll leave that there.

That said Nintendo is pretty good for going a different way in this respect. There's more scope for the quirky, and different which is a good thing. That said, it is still pretty much a roll call of all their franchises (granted the quality of Nintendo franchises is pretty high and the innovation far outweighs their counterparts on Xbox/Ps).

I've always enjoyed Smash Bros, but as with Mortal Kombat it's a tad button-bashy at times. I always loved the Mario Party games, but again they are much more fun played with mates.

'Spose least if I wait for Zelda, the console and games prices may have dipped at little. :) Still going to be a tough sell. Buying one console without permission that gets limited play is one thing, adding a second would cause serious headaches in the KRG flat!

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove

I think you're dissing Smash Bros a bit there, KRG. If anything, the positional and situational awareness makes it the anti-button basher. The controls are simple and the cooldowns deter someone from spamming the same special moves. The ground isn't safe, or even guaranteed to be there for the foreseeable future. Instant death is possible at most points of the game. I love it because it balances risk vs reward very well, while providing a nostalgic trip down the back catalogue. Yes, you can try to make your way across the screen and get the hammer from Donkey Kong, and yes it will annihilate anyone it touches. But you may get your bottoms punched off en-route, or someone else may get said hammer and send you skyward.

If you want bastard button bashers, try any muppet playing Eddy in Tekken.

It wasn't an intentional diss, I am very fond of Smash Bros. Well, I was. I just haven't played any of them for years (probably going back to 64 days). Again, this is my main problem with Nintendo. Too much of it is multiplayer focused, and are often fantastically fun to play with mates. I just have no mates with Nintendo's, so the fun goes a bit. But yeah, you are probably right I'm probably being a bit harsh.

....I'm probably still better I was just never any good at it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Wii U and although I haven't delved too much into the game catalogue available (not at £50 a pop at least..) I have to say there are areas to be worked on. As said before, the WU controller itself is very clunky and not particularly easy on the eye. The Wii was really groundbreaking in its motion-sensing control system but this feels like a step back in a way.

On a positive note, the games that I have played (Mario Kart, Smash Bros in terms of bespoke titles) have been very good and enjoyable. I have played through Skyward Sword and am currently playing through Twilight Princess again on the console too using the Wii remote and that runs flawlessly. Next year's (boooo) Zelda game looks like it's going to be huge, but i'm not quite sure if the Wii U is the right console for it. There's talk of a WU/NX crossover launch should Nintendo develop their new console in time for the game's release next year.

Very much looking forward to seeing what the next step for Nintendo is, and i'm hoping that they hit a home run with the NX - hopefully more on that at E3..

• 2 weeks later...

I am very much looking forward to getting home and playing Mario Kart 8's new 200cc mode.

Let me say that again.

200cc.

Now long term Mario Kart fans will already know that it is the most deceptively evil game in existence. I'm tenacious enough to have done the harder modes on most of the games (I have still never got gold in the Gamecube all 16 races mode tho'), but it is only really through repetition and a bit of luck.

Nothing brings on the cold rage like being hit again and again by some bastards' shells, or indeed, getting shrunk when going off a ramp.

200cc.

Eek.

My children are approaching the age of gaming which is all the reason I need to get a Wii U. We've had fun playing Rayman Legends on Xbox One so far but I think I need Mario Kart 8 in my life.

Not sure the other half will agree though. Time to test her resolve.

I've got home, and played some Mario Kart 8 200cc. Lordy, it's fast. It's being treated in this house as if it is something that has been dropped by the gods and requires proper contemplation. The blurb reckons braking is crucial, but is it, I wonder? Can I just drift earlier and avoid the brake? Such questions either end with one of the most glorious rushes in gaming or getting fished out of the mire by Lakitu,]

A big fair play to ms pap though, who was staring at the new Mario Kart 8 with fascination. She enquired about having a game, but wanted to play 100cc. After a bit of a pep talk from myself (basically "fk it, Ginge. We're going to make you play 200cc at some point. Might as well learn now"), she came first in her inaugural 200cc race.

Beginner's luck, I say. But she's stuck with it. 200cc or nothing in chez pap. Eek.

Edited by pap