Summer 2015 Hcdajfu thread ?

simo

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-monitoring-matt-phillips-after-5526311

Matt Phillips, now. We do need some home grown players as they are being sold, or likely to be, at quite a quick rate. Apart from that 40 yard screamer he scored the other day, don't know much about him.

Well if stories from yesteryear are to be believed, we've had interest in him since his Wycombe days.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-monitoring-matt-phillips-after-5526311

Matt Phillips, now. We do need some home grown players as they are being sold, or likely to be, at quite a quick rate. Apart from that 40 yard screamer he scored the other day, don't know much about him.

only messi has more assist in 2015 than him in european football...that, playing for QPR

Not altogether dismissing the Phillips connection, as said above we've been monitoring him since Wycombe. Be interesting though if he lines up with Tadic, both highly rated in assists.

Not sure we're short in the creativity stakes already.All we neeed though is someone to convert the chances.

We've definitely tracked Phillips for a while as we were after him when he was at Blackpool (in fact he told Blackpool he wanted to move to us and Holloway saw his arse about it).

I would imagine his attraction to us also increases with his nationality given our potential European campaign. Plus Ellia hasn't exactly been great.

Not altogether dismissing the Phillips connection, as said above we've been monitoring him since Wycombe. Be interesting though if he lines up with Tadic, both highly rated in assists.

Not sure we're short in the creativity stakes already.All we neeed though is someone to convert the chances.

I thik we're still short on creativity, and struggle to break teams down, as much a problem as finishing, if not more.

You think we're creating chances? Been saying it since the January window when everyone was calling for a striker, we lack creativity. Wouldn't say no to a striker but until we can get more consistency from Tadic et al. or we get a striker who can genuinely make something out of nothing, it'll be a struggle.

Edited by shurlock

Bit left-field, but maybe someone like Luke Freeman from Bristol City might be worth a punt?

Never quite made the grade at Arsenal but has had a great year this year. Whether or not he's quite good enough for our level remains to be seen, however we know better than anyone else that League One players can make the step up to Championship and Premier League!:) Sometimes players just need that chance to shine.

Would fit in nicely with our current philosophy too.

Sod the wingers just give me a attacking midfielder who can assist and score goals and as I have said previously based on his performance for PSV this season Georginio Wijnaldum is an absolute gun who maybe not what the top 4 want/need, Eriksen has that role for Spurs, Liverpool have Coutinho playing in there so not many free positions in the top 6.

Interesting to see that he said he has been watching the big and not so big clubs on tv.

Bit left-field, but maybe someone like Luke Freeman from Bristol City might be worth a punt?

Never quite made the grade at Arsenal but has had a great year this year. Whether or not he's quite good enough for our level remains to be seen, however we know better than anyone else that League One players can make the step up to Championship and Premier League!:) Sometimes players just need that chance to shine.

Would fit in nicely with our current philosophy too.

Alex Mowatt from Leeds looks like a good young player and has scored the majority of his goals from outside the box which is something we lack.

He has had a decent season though I have only seen patches of Leeds. Byram, a forum favourite, would be a real bonus in a double deal if we could get a decent price.

In Leeds today with a client who suggested Sam Byram is Clynes replacement.

Can I validate that in anyway or provide a source? No.

He acts for a number of Leeds players though. Also talk of an U21 going on loan to them. Either Gallagher, Isgrove or Stephens.

Personally I'm hoping Stephens plays a role for us next season rather than being loaned out again.

Imo we should be looking to replace Morgan with a goal scoring central midfielder! Massively lacking goals from that position now after a promising start by Schneiderlin, Wanyama and even Cork early on !?

They are young enough that they don't have to go on the 25 man roster next year. I discussed this on my blog.

http://redsloscf.blogspot.com/2015/01/southamptons-european-roster-issues.html

It's not that much of a problem if we lose some registration spots and the likes of Reed and JWP don't need to be registered. In fact looking at our squad now I don't see it being a problem at all?

It's not that much of a problem if we lose some registration spots and the likes of Reed and JWP don't need to be registered. In fact looking at our squad now I don't see it being a problem at all?

Maybe not. That will depend on who leaves and what we do to strengthen for Europe. The point here is that Isgrove uses an otherwise empty roster spot so we will keep him with the club unless he is literally worse than nothing because nothing is what will replace him.

Apart from replacing what we will lose this summer (vilhena, clasie, trippier, a centre back), we need to sign a striker too.

But this season we have missed a true no.10.

A no.10 please.

who that is i have no idea.

Maybe not. That will depend on who leaves and what we do to strengthen for Europe. The point here is that Isgrove uses an otherwise empty roster spot so we will keep him with the club unless he is literally worse than nothing because nothing is what will replace him.

I don't think the club will give a contract to a player just to have him fill a registration spot for Europe. If we can only register 20 players for Europe, and yet that list doesn't need to include the likes of Targett, JWP, and Reed etc. then we'll be just fine.

I don't think the club will give a contract to a player just to have him fill a registration spot for Europe. If we can only register 20 players for Europe' date=' and yet that list doesn't need to include the likes of Targett, JWP, and Reed etc. then we'll be just fine.[/quote']

Isgrove has already been re-signed so the question is will he be kept at the club because he is good enough to help and can be registered for Europe without taking a slot needed for someone else or will he be sent out on loan. I could be wrong, of course, but I think the former is more likely.

Isgrove has already been re-signed so the question is will he be kept at the club because he is good enough to help and can be registered for Europe without taking a slot needed for someone else or will he be sent out on loan. I could be wrong, of course, but I think the former is more likely.

It's hard to say as we know there will be changes in the squad over the summer and we don't know what the clubs attitude towards the (likely) Europa League campaign will be.

I'd be happy with any of the following PL based players, with all being realistic targets IMO -

Carl Jenkinson

Toby Alderweireld

Yannick Bolasie (not for the £20 mil quoted by Pardew though)

Jonjo Shelvey

Matt Phillips

Danny Ings

Charlie Austin

I think we need to pursue the Spurs policy of previous years when they got into the champions league, buy the £10-15 million pound young players both from UK and abroad, improve them, hopefully improve the team and push on up the table adding in our youth products. Sell those that want to move on for big profits like Bale/Modric etc.

I think we need to pursue the Spurs policy of previous years when they got into the champions league, buy the £10-15 million pound young players both from UK and abroad, improve them, hopefully improve the team and push on up the table adding in our youth products. Sell those that want to move on for big profits like Bale/Modric etc.

I prefer our version where we develop them from kids rather than spunking millions buying them!