Chelsea after Morgan and Nathaniel

DT

Ivanovic seems pretty established at right back for them so can't see Clyne thinking that's a good move for him.

Equally at Chelsea is Morgan going to displace Matic or play alongside him? Still think he's likely to end up at Arsenal despite Coquelin's performances.

Ivanovic is probably Chelsea's weakest link actually, well when he plays at RB anyway. Chelsea must be desperately short on the old HG as well. Just Terry and Cahill from their regular side I think.

If we get 25-30 for Morgan and 15 for Clyne (only 15 as in last year. Any leass than 10 and it's probably better to see home run out the contract) then that's good business. We do not need and cannot always keep top class in every position at least not for 3-4 or more seasons unless we happen to reach CL. We havnt so they will go. Others aren't quite as good or deserve to move just yet. In CM if we get Vilhenna, Claisie and add an ever improving Reed to Victor then that's good, and those two will easily be cheaper than what we get for Morgan.

We are very much a club that produces talent, nurtures it and gets it too international level. How long we then mange to keep individuals is down to their personal ambitions but essentially whether we get in Europe of CL even. Most of the top top players we manage to create will stay a max of 2-3 years once they become internationals of top countries. That is our reality but it will produce a lot of exciting times and who knows at some point a CL season! If we face a summer where no top clubs wants a player or three then we will probably have had an average or less than average season

Ivanovic is probably Chelsea's weakest link actually, well when he plays at RB anyway. Chelsea must be desperately short on the old HG as well. Just Terry and Cahill from their regular side I think.

How has he been a first team regular for so many seasons?

I thought they just offered him a 4 or 5 year contract, which was unusual for an over 30?? If they're not sure on him, send him our way as a makeweight in the deal.

Fabregas also counts as a home grown player under current rules but your point is valid. They have only three home grown players and only one of them (Terry) is club trained.

Disagree as think Harry Reed will be perfectly able. Will be interesting to look back on this in say a year's time, although suspect we would buy someone.

I disagree with that, Reed's done alright but hasn't by any means shown he's "perfectly able" to replace one of the best players the club has ever had - and it took him about 5 years playing regularly to get to his level. It would be an outright gamble, just as starting Ward-Prowse, Gallagher or Targett in every match wouldn't be advisable at the moment.

I think what we are seeing here is the next stage of asset stripping being carried out by Kat (aka the dreamwrecker - by Neil Ashton)

I cant believe this news has come just hours after I renewed. As soon as my physical tickets arrive I will take them straight down to the stadium and hand them back. I will not put up with another season of mediocrity and demand the club show more more ambition.

I cant believe this news has come just hours after I renewed. As soon as my physical tickets arrive I will take them straight down to the stadium and hand them back. I will not put up with another season of mediocrity and demand the club show more more ambition.

I'm always amused when I see people quoting player sales as a reason not to renew. I'm either supporting the team or I'm not, it isn't a decision based on who's wearing the shirt.

You appear to have an unhealthy level of denial about players leaving.

oh FFS. just because i think its bad to lose our 2 best players, why would u think im in denial and what the **** is u healthy about it anyway.

i understand how football works but i dint hbe to like it.

I'm guessing this story was leaked by agents doing their homework but if it pushed the prices up then all the better. I'd guess about £15m for Clyne and £20-25m for Morgan.

Clyne would make sense for Chelsea. A home grown player and they would be replacing a 31 year old with a 24 year old.

I do worry about Wanyama. Clyne and Morgan are gone clearly. I think everyone else will be happy to stay, or have to to prove fitness like Rodriguez, but Wanyama could well say 'no ambition, sales, I want out'. There's nothing we can do if players want to leave, they will do eventually, we've offered contracts, we've shown ambition and I don't doubt the club would rather everyone stay.

But Wanyama would be in demand, get more money and CL football. He'd be perfect for Arsenal, City or Utd right now. I honestly think if Arsenal had him they'd win the league, exactly what they've been missing.

Agreed. While he is not quite at MS level, the risk of this story being true, with several clubs chasing MS, is that obviously only one will get him, so there must be a risk that a "losing" club turns to VW as an alternative. Get Vic on a new improved deal asap!

oh FFS. just because i think its bad to lose our 2 best players, why would u think im in denial and what the **** is u healthy about it anyway.

i understand how football works but i dint hbe to like it.

Chelsea being involved is only "bad" if you don't already think they are leaving to go somewhere else. If you're already in the "they will be leaving" school of thought, then the involvement of one of the clubs with a load of cash who won't pick them half the time and will drive up the prices is a good thing.

That's why there's an element of denial involved in claiming that news is "bad". It's bad compared to them staying, it's good compared to only (e.g.) Liverpool being involved.

I do worry about Wanyama. Clyne and Morgan are gone clearly. I think everyone else will be happy to stay, or have to to prove fitness like Rodriguez, but Wanyama could well say 'no ambition, sales, I want out'. There's nothing we can do if players want to leave, they will do eventually, we've offered contracts, we've shown ambition and I don't doubt the club would rather everyone stay.

But Wanyama would be in demand, get more money and CL football. He'd be perfect for Arsenal, City or Utd right now. I honestly think if Arsenal had him they'd win the league, exactly what they've been missing.

Wanyama is still in that funny no man's land where his potential valuation is not significantly higher than what we paid for him - ie no top four club is going to wade in with a £18-20 mil bid for him, and we won't sell him for, say £13 mil as it isn't enough of a profit for us. So he would have to demand a transfer which he probably won't do. Or run his contract down another year.

Agreed. While he is not quite at MS level, the risk of this story being true, with several clubs chasing MS, is that obviously only one will get him, so there must be a risk that a "losing" club turns to VW as an alternative. Get Vic on a new improved deal asap!

Surely only if they haven't been watching AT ALL? Do clubs sign "the other one" if they can't get their target? Do they REALLY have such scattergun transfer policies?

I suppose there's always Spurs. And I guess above-average competence at basically everything is what got us to where we are compared to the general levels of wastefulness and incompetence around football.

Looks like I've answered my own question. On the bright side, we'd probably be able to run the price up on them if they were desperate.

Wanyama is still in that funny no man's land where his potential valuation is not significantly higher than what we paid for him - ie no top four club is going to wade in with a £18-20 mil bid for him, and we won't sell him for, say £13 mil as it isn't enough of a profit for us. So he would have to demand a transfer which he probably won't do. Or run his contract down another year.

You seem to have ruled out the possibility that some players might actually like being here. There has been no indication from Wanyama that he wants out so why speculate?

You seem to have ruled out the possibility that some players might actually like being here. There has been no indication from Wanyama that he wants out so why speculate?

Well the fundamental point of that post was that Wanyama would be unlikely to leave in the summer, and reasons why I think that is the case.

What's your problem?

Wanyama might perceive, correctly I believe, that he is progressing well under the current coaching staff. Certain, unlike last year, Wanyama with the ball at his feet is not inherently dangerous for us. Another year of similar progress would put him near the top of the game.

Wanyama might perceive, correctly I believe, that he is progressing well under the current coaching staff. Certain, unlike last year, Wanyama with the ball at his feet is not inherently dangerous for us. Another year of similar progress would put him near the top of the game.

I suspect people shouting "stop trying to hit long diagonal passes" at him for the first 6 weeks he was here did plenty for him too. :D