Here come our new 'rivals'...

Saint-Armstrong

It is possible to have a rivalry between two nearby clubs where you really, really want to beat them, but still cheer for them over everyone else because they are your second favorite club.

I think as a Saints supporter I "really really want to beat" every club we play in the league, be it Burnley, Villa, Liverpool or Arsenal.

So Bournemouth would be the same, but I'd want them to stay up and do well in the league elsewhere.

That isn't a rivalry.

I think as a Saints supporter I "really really want to beat" every club we play in the league, be it Burnley, Villa, Liverpool or Arsenal.

So Bournemouth would be the same, but I'd want them to stay up and do well in the league elsewhere.

That isn't a rivalry.

count me in as another one who hopes they do well against everyone except Saints. Eddie Howe deserve s all the success he's getting.

interesting about the potential ground share too....

yep, it really has to be us doesn't it. reading/brighton are quite far from them really....unless it could be a litter earner for Pompey??

What was it, 1 year to get the ground bigger and media facilities sorted (or something)

if they go up do you think the club will make it a cat A game?

I hope not. Same price to see Bmouth as Man Utd!

They have higher prices for games where they think there is going to be more demand. There will be a lot of demand for tickets for the Bournemouth game compared to many other fixtures, so there is a reasonable chance it will be a "category A" game, and at the very least a "B game".

Nice thread. Definitely not as much aggro as a few years ago..I think you lot have cooled a bit now that you are back in the top flight...

Anyway - Reading away tomorrow, 4,000 away fans there - they will be fielding a weakened side with the FA cup match looming. What can possibly go wrong :rolleyes:

there will of course be some within them that want to stoke the rivalry.....that on our side does not exists.

I know a couple of bournemouth fans and they see it as getting one over the bigger brother so to speak and see it as more like banter. But sure s ****, they will want the bragging rights....

fair enough

fantastic story though. -17 points or something in league 2...now they are the souths 2nd club...way way way above pompey lol

That's the first thing they can brag about if they go up then, ' saints from -10 league 1 to premier league but b-mouth even more impressive going from -17 in league 2 to premier league'

Great footballing storys both of them

Really hope they go up.

arry on goals on sunday summed them up regarding this.

he said there is no real rivalry between saints and bournemouth. Pompey v Saints is where it is at without question

Absolutely right. I would still consider Saints v Bournemouth in the prem to be a special game though, much more so than a game against Reading or Brighton (which I have heard referred to as derby games in the media before)

That's the first thing they can brag about if they go up then, ' saints from -10 league 1 to premier league but b-mouth even more impressive going from -17 in league 2 to premier league'

When Saints beat Sunderland 8-0 and then a week later Bournemouth beat Birmingham 8-0 their chairman Jeff Mostyn stated in the press that Bournemouth win was more impressive as it was away from home. Ignoring that Sunderland are a Premier League side and are better than Birmingham. They'll probably be looking for any little thing like that they can twist next year, but I doubt they'll be 5th in the Premier League after 32 games next season.

I wish them well and hope they get up. I think they will too.

As Redslo notes above, how about we treat them with respect, and maybe they will treat us the same way.

I might be biased, working in Poole, so I have to get on with the natives. :)

Don't know how they would do next season in the Prem, but they can cross that bridge when they come to it.

Same price to see Saints.

yeah I know. I go to watch saints and don't care if its Carlisle or Man utd.

Just a question about the stance from the club as to how they view our appetite for the game should they come up.

Nice thread. Definitely not as much aggro as a few years ago..I think you lot have cooled a bit now that you are back in the top flight...

Anyway - Reading away tomorrow, 4,000 away fans there - they will be fielding a weakened side with the FA cup match looming. What can possibly go wrong :rolleyes:

Maybe because we've yet to have Boscombe fans telling us how we have some sort of rivalry with them, which we clearly don't, & that most Saints fans have no issue with Boscombe getting into the BPL, in fact, we like the way you've gone about it & it has the added benefit of really pis sing the skates off, who are our only rivals.

Edited by View From The Top

When Saints beat Sunderland 8-0 and then a week later Bournemouth beat Birmingham 8-0 their chairman Jeff Mostyn stated in the press that Bournemouth win was more impressive as it was away from home.

It is more impressive, relatively speaking.

Why? Sunderland have better players than Birmingham.

And we have better players than Bournemouth, therefore objectively it's a roughly equal achievement. Then if you consider they did this away from home I think it makes it more of an accomplishment. Fine margins though.

Only Wednesday, Bolton and Charlton in their way now. 2 of them at home and none of them with anything to play for.

Strange to think that 2 years ago we were battling Wigan to avoid the drop. It's looking likely that next season we will be in Europe and they in League 1.

If Watford fail to win at Forest tomorrow Bournemouth can virtually guarantee an automatic promotion spot by winning their next two games both of which are at home to Sheff Wed and Bolton because Boro and Norwich play one another this Friday.

If Watford fail to win at Forest tomorrow Bournemouth can virtually guarantee an automatic promotion spot by winning their next two games both of which are at home to Sheff Wed and Bolton because Boro and Norwich play one another this Friday.

Only Watford gaining a net of 11 in goal difference would stop this.

Yes and that would increase to at least 13 if Bournemouth win their two home games.

Hence my use of the word "net"--after all Watford would have to win its games by a minimum of one goal each too.

Over 4000 at Reading tonight. They were struggling to get that many turn up for home games 5 years ago.

I have a theory that fans like winning teams, especially ones that are competing for promotion.