• Schneiderlin
    • S davis
    • Pelle
    • Long
    • Mane
    • JWP
    • Tadic
    • Elia

Really disappointed with Bertrand today, always took the backwards option and nothing threatening him down that side all match but he just didn't do anything. Other than that, thought we were solid all over the pitch after a slow start, but my God do we need to take our chances, because we don't create many.

Really disappointed with Bertrand today, always took the backwards option and nothing threatening him down that side all match but he just didn't do anything. Other than that, thought we were solid all over the pitch after a slow start, but my God do we need to take our chances, because we don't create many.

He played one long ball early down the wing to Long that was way over-hit and then didn't try it again.

He played one long ball early down the wing to Long that was way over-hit and then didn't try it again.

It was an interesting exercise in being really frustrated in a team despite eventually winning comfortably and playing well within ourselves. It's no surprise we're losing games here and there when we find it SO difficult to create chances and we're so far off the pace - but some of our attacking decision-making is unbelievable - Long in the first minute not even getting a shot off, for instance.

I thought the key (again) was the Wanyama change - but then I've been saying all week that there's no way we should be playing against Hull with 2 defensive midfielders, and we did, and looked awful (but I would say that).

What was worrying was that we looked as defensively shaky with Wanyama/Schneiderlin together this week as we did against Burnley with Wanyama missing - I guess that comes down to changing the CB pairing though. And, in the end, clean sheet and comfortable win.

Embarrassing from a large bunch in block 2 singing if pelle scores we're on the pitch. Shameful stuff and he scored just after. So many bells about, does my head in.

I'd quite like some of them to follow it through, wouldn't have to worry about them again then.

Embarrassing from a large bunch in block 2 singing if pelle scores we're on the pitch. Shameful stuff and he scored just after. So many bells about, does my head in.

Yep, more knobheads than ever. Getting on players backs all game. Shouting "get if forward' then moaning when we lose it.

Completely unaware of how good a team we are. What a waste of their money .

Did anyone else struggle to pick a MoM for this? Didn't think Pelle did much different - though he was running about like a man possessed in the immediate run up to the penalty trying to make something happen, Ward-Prowse did ok and made me £75 but nothing majorly impactful, thought Elia made a difference with his spark when he came on, defence was ok but a little bit random (kept a CS though) and I thought both Yoshida and Bertrand were too negative on the ball, Alderweireld didn't play particularly well for him, Steven Davis had a bit of a mare and misplaced a ton of touches, Long put himself about but didn't do a lot with the ball, and Mane did ok without really driving at teams the way he has before.

Having seen the Schneiderlin comment above, can't see it myself - no kind of shield for the first 10 minutes, though big improvement in the second half. Then again his role is a difficult one to spot and I'd had a LOT to drink today. :D

Which left me with Kelvin for his vital stop at 0-0 and Fonte for looking the most reliable at the back on a day when we didn't look that solid.

Yep, more knobheads than ever. Getting on players backs all game. Shouting "get if forward' then moaning when we lose it.

Seems like plenty of people come along just for a moan. I'm moving seats next season due to needing an extra ticket and won't miss the negativity of the old chap a couple of rows back. He threw a mega stop in the first half at Schneiderlin for not shooting from 20 yards despite their being 3 defenders close by between him and the goal. The problem is I know there will be someone equally annoying near me in the new seats.

Thought the first half was the worst we have played in many a year, our pass completion must have been below 20%. JWP coming in for Wanyama and changing to just Morgan holding, made a massive difference.

It's times like this I get annoyed that the Match Build-Up thread gets locked, when I've spent 3 days in an argument about how we don't need two defensive midfielders (albeit in the context that most sides won't attack like Burnley did - which they did, and we looked dodgy as a result even with both the gatekeepers on there).

But he's Kevin "no friend of ours" Friend and he hates us or something.

Decent pen JWP, by the way.

he is just a gash ref really

Danny Murphy says it should have been a red for pelle.

Would have been harsh had the ref have given it. but you could see why if he did

he is just a gash ref really

Danny Murphy says it should have been a red for pelle.

Would have been harsh had the ref have given it. but you could see why if he did

I'd agree with Jenas on it. But if he had given a red, then I wouldn't blame the ref, I'd blame Pelle for flailing his arms about. Sometimes clumsiness deserves punishment but our boy got away with it.

I'd agree with Jenas on it. But if he had given a red, then I wouldn't blame the ref, I'd blame Pelle for flailing his arms about. Sometimes clumsiness deserves punishment but our boy got away with it.

alex bruce is going to turn into his dad. so any damage to the face is negligible

stoke looked pretty good at west ham

Edited by Batman

We were atrocious until we got the penalty. Incredibly frustrating to watch. Little movement going forward and Hull first to every second ball. We looked leggy. The penalty gave us the kick up the backside we needed and we began expressing ourselves properly afterwards.

Maya my MOTM. The boy slotted seamlessly back into defence and his first touch and control is brilliant. Different player these days!

Atrocious? We really weren't mate, were you even at the game?

Don't think I've heard so much moaning before from our so called fans in one of our best seasons ever. Bizarre.

They probably didn't even run on the pitch either, gutless mugs.

Good to see us above Spurs and Liverpool. I really really want to end the season that way. Stoke away next - they won't park the bus so if we can cope with being kicked up in the air and we have a half decent ref we should wipe the floor with them. Good to see someone other than Tadic on the penalty. Tadic is woeful with a dead ball anywhere on the field. Corners, free kicks, penalties, woeful. Good for Pelle to bag a goal. Hopefully another one next week.

I couldn't follow the game today as I was at work, but it seems it was a comfortable if unimpressive win. I predicted 2-0 before kick off and wish I had a bet on now. Hey ho.

I've just seen Hull's fixture list for their last six fixtures. I would hazard a guess that they are getting relegated this season unless they pull a miracle result or two out - it's atrocious. They have to play all the big boys in their last 6 bar Burnley and Palace, and even those two will be tough. Shame, because I don't mind Hull. I thought they made some decent signings last summer.

Apart from the very agreeable scoreline, I felt this was quite the worst game of football I've witnessed in some time - especially during that utterly turgid first half when both teams appeared to be attempting to outdo each other in their display of incompetence. My match day experience was not much improved by finding myself sat among a group fans who were either drunken louts who insisted on screaming foul language at max volume constantly (regardless of the fact that there were many children in the area) or two utter bores who did little else but witter on incessantly about their work life or holiday plans - again with the ''F'' word being employed to link every syllable.

Those who like to bemoan the lack of ... eh ''atmosphere'' at modern games should understand that for many fans too much of this can be far worse than too little and the fact that you are at a football match doesn't entirely excuse you from behaving in a reasonably civilised manner.

Mercifully we spotting some nearby unoccupied seats and moved down a row at half time which - coupled with a marginal improvement in the standard of play - made the second half a rather more tolerable viewing experience. I was very pleased indeed to see JWP score his first PL goal and even Pelle managed to find the back of the net for the first time since the old king died. Hallelujah!

But I was most impressed by Kelvin - what a superb pro that man is.

Not great performance but felt quite relaxed we would win.

Not so much bad individual performances, although Toby was poor in first half, big improvement 2nd.

Probably most credit to;

Fonte - effortless defending, good on the ball. Player of the season.

Yoshida, good both defensively and in possession.

Kelvin - reliable, already some good saves since came in

JWP made a difference, getting stronger, intelligent with the ball, personally think a little less reliable than Davis but better.

Schneiderlin good 2nd half, unselfish with assist.

Long good work rate, at times lacks composure

Pelle, frustration over!

Took my 6 & 7 year old lads to their first game yesterday, so wanted a Saints win more than ever to seal their allegiance for good.

Kelvin was superb, what a pro, Pellé impressed me with his hold up play - being such a size though an asset I can see why weak refs give fouls against him as defender's get knocked off him. Thought friend wasn't going to give the pen and boys were delighted to see Pellé score.

We do seem intent to try and walk the ball into the net and a reluctance to shoot - we have some good opportunities to work the keeper but nobody seems to want to have a crack from the edge of the box, or just outside.

All in 560 mile round trip, happy boys and back just in time to watch MoTD's rubbish highlights. Only downside was i couldn't find any giant foam hands to buy :winkything:

Good turnout in the Pub here & great to meet another TSW member passing through.

First half was great - but only in as much as we could talk sheite and watch the Bikinis coming off the beach with KO now being a bit earlier. (As a footballing spectacle it was awful) 8)

When JWP got the ball to take the penalty we all went into melt down - convinced the only way he could ever score would be a stupidly lucky rebound off his bum, but fair play to him for Lamberting the pen, and when Pelle finally missed the woodwork and actually scored, wow huge relief all round.

Don't think the formation worked at all in the first half left us unbalanced and players like Davis having to make longer balls than usual. As such we just had no tempo and looked like we were already on the beach Don't think he (SD) deserves the stick he has got on this thread though, he still covered a huge amount of ground and had some great battling moments in the 2nd half out wide on the left.

Really think we need to revert to the Mane Pelle Tadic front 3 away to Stoke. Long's strength is his chasing and defending from the front. The down side is that it pushes Mane out wide when he starts and we lose something when he is not so direct.

MoM Jose. He really is class.

Oh, and tbh Pelle was VERY lucky to stay on the pitch, yes you can argue his arm was raised to help him rotate his body into position, but in the multiple replays there was one which showed that he clothes-lined young Bruce in a manner that many WWE actors would have been proud of.

Fair play also to Steve Bruce & Hull. I think everybody expected them to come and park the Bus. They pressed us very well and their front three REALLY should have put them in front 1st half.

Win for the Mancs today, and the pressure will be on Pelligrini big time. Not sure his players are still playing for him and they could drop points quite easily in coming matches. With Pelle's confidence restored he COULD go off on another scoring run. THAT could make a huge difference to the last few matches for us.

4th is insanely improbable as Liverpool will walk the Geordies but it isn't totally impossible. 6th and above "no Plan B" would be brilliant

The first half was one of the most boring, dour exchanges this season, right up there with West Brom. I didn't think for a moment that Bruce would have Hull park the bus and Koeman's team choice worried me, leaving Clyne out. As a result, we lacked width and speed in attack and Hull were closing us down and winning many of the midfield battles. It is fair to say that but for a couple of very good saves from Kelvin, Hull could have gone in at half time one or two goals ahead, or should it be that we really had to have scored in the first minute when Long was through one on one and that the whole complexion of that half would have changed. Instead, Long totally messed up the chance with his poor touch and the team grew nervous and out of sorts with that formation.

But fortune had favoured us and thankfully Hull were not the team to exploit our weaknesses, so we had the opportunity to regroup and rethink how we would proceed in the second half. But we started the same formation, although it did gradually become a more cohesive unit. In the event a combination of incidents changed the game in our favour. Wanyama was booked for a very slight pull on one of their players and was harshly yellow-carded. Koeman decided to substitute him, whether to avoid the risk of a red, or to change tactically, I don't know. I had initially thought that with a defence in an unfamiliar formation, that it would add further risk replacing the beast Wanyama with the more lightweight Ward-Prowse, but he does add a bit more speed and guile to compensate. Long does what he does best in running into the box and drew the late tackle from Bruce Junior that was fairly adjudged as a penalty. I must confess nervousness as Ward-Prowse stepped up to the plate, but he dispatched it with aplomb to earn his first PL goal.

That lead invigorated the team, who started to play with some belief. The usual cliche of a game of two halves was very apposite and we then saw the sort of display that we have become used to at St Mary's with good passing and movement frustrating the opposition who found it hard to get the ball as often. Mane was brought off for Tadic and we threatened in attack with more purpose. A smart pass from Schneiderlin, who had more opportunities to play further upfield, fed Pelle who had a simple chance to side-foot the ball into the net and thankfully there was no defender to stick out a leg, no brilliant save, or no post to hit. Pelle's relief and joy was palpable and now having scored for his country and his team, his confidence and belief will propel him into a rich vein of goals leading into the end of the season, where they will be sorely needed if we are to hold onto this position.

Man of the match for me was Steve Davis for his usual tireless and unselfish workrate. He did miss a sitter, but if he was also a goal-scorer, he would be a vary valuable high-priced player indeed.But one only has to look at the variety of players who received a spread of nominations for MOTM to see that there were either several decent performances, or else there was little to choose between them in a very ordinary match.

Results around us have favoured us these past couple of weeks, but had we gained the win at Everton that we deserved, we would be in fifth anyway, regardless of what Liverpool do tomorrow and five points above Spurs. At least it is in our hands to put clear water between us and Spurs in a fortnight.

Good win in the end. Frustrating first half but credit to Hull for attacking with pace and forcing us into mistakes.

Fonte MotM for me. Loved the co-commentator on my TSN stream pointing out that many thought Lovren was the lynch-pin of our defence when now it is obvious it was Fonte. Form is temporary.. Class is permanent.

The first half was one of the most boring, dour exchanges this season, right up there with West Brom. I didn't think for a moment that Bruce would have Hull park the bus and Koeman's team choice worried me, leaving Clyne out. As a result, we lacked width and speed in attack and Hull were closing us down and winning many of the midfield battles. It is fair to say that but for a couple of very good saves from Kelvin, Hull could have gone in at half time one or two goals ahead, or should it be that we really had to have scored in the first minute when Long was through one on one and that the whole complexion of that half would have changed. Instead, Long totally messed up the chance with his poor touch and the team grew nervous and out of sorts with that formation.

But fortune had favoured us and thankfully Hull were not the team to exploit our weaknesses, so we had the opportunity to regroup and rethink how we would proceed in the second half. But we started the same formation, although it did gradually become a more cohesive unit. In the event a combination of incidents changed the game in our favour. Wanyama was booked for a very slight pull on one of their players and was harshly yellow-carded. Koeman decided to substitute him, whether to avoid the risk of a red, or to change tactically, I don't know. I had initially thought that with a defence in an unfamiliar formation, that it would add further risk replacing the beast Wanyama with the more lightweight Ward-Prowse, but he does add a bit more speed and guile to compensate. Long does what he does best in running into the box and drew the late tackle from Bruce Junior that was fairly adjudged as a penalty. I must confess nervousness as Ward-Prowse stepped up to the plate, but he dispatched it with aplomb to earn his first PL goal.

That lead invigorated the team, who started to play with some belief. The usual cliche of a game of two halves was very apposite and we then saw the sort of display that we have become used to at St Mary's with good passing and movement frustrating the opposition who found it hard to get the ball as often. Mane was brought off for Tadic and we threatened in attack with more purpose. A smart pass from Schneiderlin, who had more opportunities to play further upfield, fed Pelle who had a simple chance to side-foot the ball into the net and thankfully there was no defender to stick out a leg, no brilliant save, or no post to hit. Pelle's relief and joy was palpable and now having scored for his country and his team, his confidence and belief will propel him into a rich vein of goals leading into the end of the season, where they will be sorely needed if we are to hold onto this position.

Man of the match for me was Steve Davis for his usual tireless and unselfish workrate. He did miss a sitter, but if he was also a goal-scorer, he would be a vary valuable high-priced player indeed.But one only has to look at the variety of players who received a spread of nominations for MOTM to see that there were either several decent performances, or else there was little to choose between them in a very ordinary match.

Results around us have favoured us these past couple of weeks, but had we gained the win at Everton that we deserved, we would be in fifth anyway, regardless of what Liverpool do tomorrow and five points above Spurs. At least it is in our hands to put clear water between us and Spurs in a fortnight.

What match were you watching, he was terrible, really terrible!

I thought Davis had a great match and pulled off what was almost certainly a game saving save. As others have said 1st half was not great, but then 0-0 at half time when you're not scoring is not to be sniffed at. 2nd half and certainly after the pen (should the fouler have been sent off as last man?) we looked more composed and likely to go on and win. Not a game for the neutrals, but make no mistake 3 points at this stage of the season could prove very important indeed.

One of our worst performances of the season but luckily Hull are useless in the final third. They worked hard and made it difficult for us, although our poor decision making made it harder, but looking at their run in you struggle to see them getting more than two or three points. I think they will go down.

We hit far too many long balls. Alderweireld, although setting up the pen, was disappointing at RB. Too many diagonals. Morgan and Davis were below par and Wanyama seemed to be playing within himself to avoid a yellow. Utterly futile since he got one anyway. He should've been on the bench from the start.

As usual, our centre backs were excellent.

I award the following ratings:

K Davis - 8: one shank but other than that rock solid and composed. Got out quickly to snuff out a couple of through balls.

Toby - 6: good ball to Long for the pen but general play was disappointing. Much better CB than RB.

Fonte - 7: very solid and good leader's performance. Treads a fine line between fair physicality and recklessness at times!

Yoshida - 8: what an excellent season from him. He seems to have cut out the nerves and is a real asset.

Bertie - 6: didn't really get into the game in an attacking sense. Similar to Toby.

Vic - 5: seemed to play within himself.

Morgan - 6: got better in the second half but some poor passing at times. Credit for the run leading to the second goal.

Davis - 5: injected some decent forward impetus at times but some sloppy passing and missed a decent chance. Attacking CM is an area of the squad that needs improving.

Mane - 6: kept them occupied but better through the middle than out wide at the moment.

Long - 6: absolutely awful touch at times and, let's be honest, his technique is way below top 6 level. However, his perseverance, physicality and energy can bring results such as the penalty.

Pelle - 7: I thought he was really good in the second half. Struggled in the first but not surprising given how poor the rest of the team were. The arm on Bruce was a bit naughty but I think replays make it look worse than it was.

JWP - 7: decent performance and great credit for burying a pressured pen.

Tadic - 7: obligatory first-defender-hitting crosses aside, he stretched Hull well and used the ball well.

Elias - 7: if he'd had a bit longer I think he could've contributed meaningfully. Made some decent runs.

I like Steve Davis but he had a right shocker yesterday, seemed to give the ball away every time he had it and on too many occasions slowed down any attacking momentum.

It wasn't a great performance by any stretch of the imagination but winning is all that matters at this stage of the season, keep the pressure up on the teams around us. Credit to Hull who were well organised and pressed us very well, but as Jermain Jenas pointed out on MOTD, they didn't really create any clear opportunities, mostly just long range efforts.

So pleased for Pelle getting back on the scoresheet, and that aside he had a very good game. Great hold up play and even some nice skill over on the left touchline near the end, followed by a sweeping cross-field ball to the right. Hopefully the confidence will come flowing back and he can finish the season similar to how he started it.

Hull are fighting to stay in the league so they were always going to be difficult to break down. They pressed us hard from the off and restricted our method of play and forced a few mistakes, which didn't make for a good first half, but for me it wasn't as bad as some are making out. Simple change in the second half and we were much better up front as we had more options. The Hull midfield were blowing out of their arse after 60 minutes for all the effort they had put in, which made it easier for us to play more on the floor. Good win, good performance and a decent day all round.

Hull are fighting to stay in the league so they were always going to be difficult to break down. They pressed us hard from the off and restricted our method of play and forced a few mistakes, which didn't make for a good first half, but for me it wasn't as bad as some are making out. Simple change in the second half and we were much better up front as we had more options. The Hull midfield were blowing out of their arse after 60 minutes for all the effort they had put in, which made it easier for us to play more on the floor. Good win, good performance and a decent day all round.

I felt a small twinge of pity at the final whistle when several of their players were down on their haunches and clearly dejected. Their body language during the later stages of the game was also revealing, dropped heads and droopy shoulders by some of them. It seemed to me that they think the game's up already. If Bruce can rebuild their confidence now then he'll be doing well. They don't play for two weeks so he'll have some time on the training pitch with them.

I felt a small twinge of pity at the final whistle when several of their players were down on their haunches and clearly dejected. Their body language during the later stages of the game was also revealing, dropped heads and droopy shoulders by some of them. It seemed to me that they think the game's up already. If Bruce can rebuild their confidence now then he'll be doing well. They don't play for two weeks so he'll have some time on the training pitch with them.

I thought the same. They lost heart after the penalty. I've seen worse away performances at St Mary's.They worked hard and closed us down well so we struggled to build from the back. They pass the ball well. They just lack a cutting edge and the all important confidence.

If the pundits discussed Pelle's left arm hook as a red, why no debate on Bruce being the last man when he took out Long?

Very odd that Bruce was not even booked for that challenge (red would have been very harsh given the angle).

I guess Friend was too overcome by the gravity of having actually awarded a penalty to think about cards.

If the pundits discussed Pelle's left arm hook as a red, why no debate on Bruce being the last man when he took out Long?

Not 'moving towards the goal'? I was surprised there wasn't a yellow. Besides, perhaps Friend saw that it was Long and therefore not an 'obvious goal scoring opportunity' ;)

Because Long kicked the ball to the keeper just before he got clobbered, so it wasn't a goal scoring opportunity St the moment that the foul was committed.

I hate that "Get it forward" shouts so much, when were we last a team who just "got it forward"?

We've been doing it more and more -we did it plenty in the first half yesterday. In part, since the fullbacks have sat further and further back.

Edited by shurlock

Did anyone else struggle to pick a MoM for this? Didn't think Pelle did much different - though he was running about like a man possessed in the immediate run up to the penalty trying to make something happen, Ward-Prowse did ok and made me £75 but nothing majorly impactful, thought Elia made a difference with his spark when he came on, defence was ok but a little bit random (kept a CS though) and I thought both Yoshida and Bertrand were too negative on the ball, Alderweireld didn't play particularly well for him, Steven Davis had a bit of a mare and misplaced a ton of touches, Long put himself about but didn't do a lot with the ball, and Mane did ok without really driving at teams the way he has before.

Having seen the Schneiderlin comment above, can't see it myself - no kind of shield for the first 10 minutes, though big improvement in the second half. Then again his role is a difficult one to spot and I'd had a LOT to drink today. :D

Which left me with Kelvin for his vital stop at 0-0 and Fonte for looking the most reliable at the back on a day when we didn't look that solid.

I agree to an extent but Pelle is and always will be excellent at bringing others in to play and playing key passes over the top for the wingers.

Thought he did this very very well today and capped it off with a goal.

If we were deliberately playing a false 9 with pelle up front, noone would be as concerned that the goals haven't gone in.

The trouble is he is just a normal striker with strength and good vision, not a false 9, so people are expecting them to go in.

I think even in our own penalty box he's very useful to have.....and today got a goal which will be great.

I agree though he's been way under par for quite a few recent games

Apart from the very agreeable scoreline, I felt this was quite the worst game of football I've witnessed in some time - especially during that utterly turgid first half when both teams appeared to be attempting to outdo each other in their display of incompetence. My match day experience was not much improved by finding myself sat among a group fans who were either drunken louts who insisted on screaming foul language at max volume constantly (regardless of the fact that there were many children in the area) or two utter bores who did little else but witter on incessantly about their work life or holiday plans - again with the ''F'' word being employed to link every syllable.

Those who like to bemoan the lack of ... eh ''atmosphere'' at modern games should understand that for many fans too much of this can be far worse than too little and the fact that you are at a football match doesn't entirely excuse you from behaving in a reasonably civilised manner.

Mercifully we spotting some nearby unoccupied seats and moved down a row at half time which - coupled with a marginal improvement in the standard of play - made the second half a rather more tolerable viewing experience. I was very pleased indeed to see JWP score his first PL goal and even Pelle managed to find the back of the net for the first time since the old king died. Hallelujah!

But I was most impressed by Kelvin - what a superb pro that man is.

Bless you. Maybe you should find a new hobby if you don't like swearing.

I think even in our own penalty box he's very useful to have.....and today got a goal which will be great.

Here is a good point that doesn't often get noted. He was very good yesterday in defence, at least two powerful headed clearances. I remarked to my neighbour about it, and we agreed that perhaps he would be better as a defender :-) He won both headers very cleanly and it was puzzling why he can't do the same up front. Very please that he scored yesterday, and maybe it will be the start of a new scoring spree for him, but have to say up until when he actually scored he was woeful as a striker, even blocking efforts of other players. Those who say his hold up play is good really can only be basing this on how it was early in the season, and not on the evidence of the game itself, certainly in the first half yesterday every ball given to him came back straight away. Then again he was really no worse than anyone else (Kelvin excepted) in the first 45 minutes. 10 men were absolutely dreadful first half, fortunately Hull are completely inept in front of goal. Trying to say that it was Hull playing well is a complete nonsense, we were awful, even Ron said himself that he did recognise his team during that period, which for Ron who seldom criticises is a daming indictment of the way we were playing. Second half much better, after Ron revised the tactics, some credit for this to JWP who looked much better yesterday, even aside from the goal.