saints v Crystal Palace 1976 semi

Turkish

It's be nice to hear a few stories. How people got there, what they did, how they celebrated etc.

Absolutely no clue, complete haze. All I can remember is where I was stood, looking at The Shed to my right. Don't know who I was with, how I got there, nothing. Guessing I msy have had the odd shandy.

Me too .... probably stood next to each other!!! Right behind the goal about halfway up packed in like a sardine.

What a day.

I was behind the goal , near the back. Ended up about 20 rows forward after Gilly's goal.

It's be nice to hear a few stories. How people got there, what they did, how they celebrated etc.

Went by car with Dad and Uncle and parked and drank in Parsons Green, which we did for a few seasons around then. No real trouble as I recall, apart from some of ours giving some upset Palace fans the big-one in the Kings Rd straight after. We were lucky to get The Shed as that gave us a real advantage. The Brittania end was pretty soulless.

Headed straight back after and the bloody car broke down on the last bit (then) of the M3 at Basingstoke. Towed back home by the AA at about 9 pm but remember making it to a great party in Portswood.

We went by coach to Wembley.

Memories are fading, but I do remember going with my Dad, who was hadn't been to a game before. He was working in the morning so we didn't end up leaving Romsey until 1.30! We still got there before kick off somehow. I remember him driving at 120mph+ up the M3. Not a Cop in sight. Pretty good going for a Mark II Cortina (which just happened to have a 3.0 V6 dropped in it haha)

went by train, then in the pub opposite Fulham Broadway Tube station, stood on the Shed could see about 75% of pitch. Hard to explain emotions after both goals. Went back into Soho after game Saints fans everywhere , got into a club but thrown out within 15 mins because some 55 year old saints fan thought he would stand on table and sing OWTSGMI , problem was he was so drunk he fell off table and smashed the 2 he landed on.

In my opinion the Semi was as good as final, final was great in Wembley but before and after was a battle with united fans, of course nothing has ever come close to beating the atmosphere in the city from saturday night until tuesday morning.

Was there with Dad (RIP), he talked the OB into nipping out at half time to go to the bookies across the road from the Shed end to pick up his winnings on Rag Trade in the Grand National, then nipped into the offie and bought a bottle of Johnnnie Walker which he smuggled in for us and everyone around us to enjoy.

Happy days, happy memories!

One of the best days ever.

Spent pre-match in The Courtfield opposite Earls Court tube station which had been renamed the Red Cock when used as a location in one of the Barry Mackenzie films ( popular at the time ).

Then someone mentioned there was a stripper in a pub down the road - The Duke of Richmond if I remember correctly - who after doing her "turn" wished us luck as she came from Lymington !!

The rest is a bit of a blur but I believe we won !!!!

I was there, on a coach from the Bitterne Park Hotel with my mum and dad. Was only 12 so don't remember all the pubs etc, but do seem to remember stopping in Alton on the way home for a Chinese meal while the rest of the coach got hammered.

Was sat in the lower part of the stand, and remember going absolutely mental when the first goal went in.

Went to the final with just my dad, as he couldn't get three tickets, and again on a coach from the BPH.

Sort of thought we would win a cup every three to four years as I had only been going to football that long in 76, how wrong was I!!

I went on a coach organised by Steve Jewett then of Wimpson and remember being stuck in heavy traffic just by Kew Bridge. There were a lot of girls sunbathing in the park and Pete Wilson got off the coach to chat them up. We never saw

him again that day but funnily enough I now see Steve and Pete in the Guide Dog after most games. A couple of rascals from the old school.

That brought back some brilliant memories – thanks for posting, Turks.

I was at the Shed end, almost in line with Gilly's goal – definitely one of my best ever Saints' moments!

We travelled up by coach – lots of beers on the way back. But I still remember to this day, during a brief lull in the celebrations, a Saints' fan saying: “won't it be awful if we get hammered in the Final?” :(

Incidentally, watching that again, I reckon McCalliog and Ossie would have been lucky to stay on the pitch nowadays.

Great day. Only my 2nd ever away day, (we won the first one as well, the next was the final. All downhill from there). Lasting memory apart from the match was having my foot stood on by a police horse whilst queuing at the turnstile.

I was there - travelled down from Oxford where I was working at the time. Malcolm Alison was a huge celebrity then and was loved by the press. I recall seeing the Crystal Palace coach (motorised variety) arrive at the ground with Alison on board wearing the Fedora that he was using as a trademark. Although we didn't score until the second half, I don't think any of us fans doubted that we would win but the euphoria when we did was fantastic.

I went on a coach organised by Steve Jewett then of Wimpson and remember being stuck in heavy traffic just by Kew Bridge. There were a lot of girls sunbathing in the park and Pete Wilson got off the coach to chat them up. We never saw

him again that day but funnily enough I now see Steve and Pete in the Guide Dog after most games. A couple of rascals from the old school.

Do you know where Steve and Pete sit now at sms , because used to see them most weeks but not seen them for months?

I had a ticket but didn't go.

I always preferred to play than watch and Hampshire FA had issued a dictat that all Hampshire League games were to take place on the day of the semi-final.

So I sold my ticket to one of my dad's mates, and prepared to play on the Saturday. You can guess where this is heading, can't you?

We turned up to find the opposition not there. They had all gone to the semi-final, and didn't even have the guts or courtesy to tell us beforehand. Their secretary was at the ground and claimed he didn't know.

I made doubly sure I got a ticket to the final.

Looking at that video I was tickled by the shots of Saints dressing room after the game.

I love the big enamel jug of tea laid on. With champagne also on offer, I don't suppose too much of the tea was drunk.

Of course, there wouldn't be tea laid on nowadays. It would be isotonic, energy-restoring drinks.

Yep, I was there as a 14 year old with my Dad and his workmate (RIP). The atmosphere for most of the Match was strangely subdued as the football was a bit scrappy. I remember distinctly the cries of "Eagles, Eagles" coming from the other end and not having a clue what they were singing. I think I was in a state of disbelief at the final whistle that Saints had actually managed to reach Wembley, especially as I was at the Dell in the 3rd Round when we so nearly went out against Villa. Is it me, or did the players look so much older then than they do now? Great day.

I can't remember how I got up there, or how I got back, for that matter, but have vague memories of being worried in that crowd in case I needed a wee! I can remember more about the final: I went up in a coach organised by the SU student's union, and we picked up a hitcher on the way: not a fan but she was crafty enough to wear red and white..

I didn't recall it being such a cr*ppy game, but remember Gilchrist's and Peach's goals.

I'd been to the Villa replay after being behind the flight of Hughie Fisher's shot at the end of the home game: he had a fussy stuttering run, but certainly hit it well. Think we'd abandoned hope by that time!

Anyway, thanks Turks (and whoever quoted your post). :-)

Went up by train - think they laid on some special trains. Cans of beer on train, just as well as near to impossible to get into any pubs.

Absolutely crammed in behind the goal at The Shed End ("We took The Shed End in The Cup"LOL). Mental celebrations greeted each goal and final whistle.

After all the euphoria in the ground, the train journey home was weird. Barely any singing, just people staring into the middle distance with a stupid grin on their faces trying to take

the fact that little old homely Div 2 Southampton were on their way to Wembley to play Man U in The Finals.

As was the way back then, pre video recorders etc, just a few beers in the pub then home to relive it all on MOTD.

Funniest moment for me was them interviewing Mick Channon in the bath and his use of agricultural/industrial language :lol:

His quote of ..."Well it's no good us just getting to the Cup Final, we've got to win the bloody thing now!!" is absolute classic.

The following day we did our usual Sunday night pub-crawl from Swaythling to Portswood. Having reached the Red Lion (now Talking Heads) we were advised to get up to the Drummond, where we found Ossie, Jim Steele and Jim McCalliog in full flow.

Loads of great stories and many beers later, I left sometime after midnight as I had college in the morning. At that point Steele was lying on his back behind the bar, filling his pint by kicking the lager tap on and off.

Imagine my surprise when the 3 of them were dropped for the game at Fatpipes on the Tuesday. Channon scored in the last minute for an totally undeserved 1-0 win, which relegated the Skates. :lol:

I can't remember how I got up there, or how I got back, for that matter, but have vague memories of being worried in that crowd in case I needed a wee!

Glad I'm not the only one who can't remember much about it, like you I have very clear memories of the final, but apart from being there and a few vague recollections, the day was a complete haze.

Glad I'm not the only one who can't remember much about it, like you I have very clear memories of the final, but apart from being there and a few vague recollections, the day was a complete haze.

Me neither. I remember arriving at Wimbledon Station off the tube with lots of Saints and Palace fans and a lot of singing by both sets of fans through the station. That's about it. Why Wimbledon I'm not sure. Maybe coaches parked up there.

Had to work in the morning

Managed to wangle an early release and drove up to London with my mate Steve

Can't remember where we parked but sat in stand opposite the Multi deck

Four lads turned up in the seats in front of us just before KO

They had obviously been on the juice and one slept right through the game only coming round after the final whistle when we were all celebrating the win

Remember driving home and seeing a Saints fan on a bike cycling (presumably home) around the Wimbledon area

Great day in a wonderful summer

I was there, a long way up that steep stand and I can't remember much at all of the game - not surprising really as apart from the result the football was hardly worth remembering, pretty awful stuff as the vid shows. All I can remember was how we were all worried about Peter Taylor who in the end had as mediocre game as everyone else. But as the ball hardly touched the ground all game he didn't have much chance to shine. And the times we let the ball go across the 6 yard area, dreadful.

The Final I remember slightly more about, mostly the nerves every time the ball went near Ian Turner, though he did ok in the end.

Remember it well, only eleven at the time but I think that day was the first time I felt I had been at a "big game" . The atmosphere was fantastic and seeing the shed full of Saints fans with loads of red and white on show is something I will never forget. Little things I loved about that clip...black shiny boots, men wearing shirt and ties to matches!

Was living in London then; me and a mate turned up on the off chance & got tickets outside the ground really easily - 2 quid I think. Was in the fabled Shed, right behind the goal. It was a truly awful game of football but it's all about the result innit. The Paul Gilchrist goal was so out of the blue I don't think we could believe it for a second when it went in. I remember Ossie kneeling down and posing to one of the pitchside cameras at the final whistle while we all went crazy.

As someone else said, it was amazing to think of the Saints finally getting to play at Wembley. Saw JJ Cale at Hammesmith Odeon that evening but I was too euphoric to pay much attention - I think it was euphoria. Anyway - happy dayz.

And people wonder why some of us would rather a cup win over a top 4 finish. Love reading these stories.

Spot on. Beggars belief why some would rather a top 4 finish. Hoping for some regular cup runs now we're an established Prem side.

Spot on. Beggars belief why some would rather a top 4 finish. Hoping for some regular cup runs now we're an established Prem side.

But if we finished 4th in years to come we could reminisce about how big our foam hands were, which action hero/clown character we dressed up as, how much we spent on half and half scarves, how great the pies were in those days compared to now. We will look back on these days as the good old days, we'd complain about how santised the British Soccerball Premier Championship sponsored by Microsoft is, especially now finishing 9th enables you to qualify for the EMEA play off for the Supergoal World Totalsoccerball Championship.

To add a bit of colour to my previous post. Dad (now 92) Brother and Myself Saints fans, travelled up from Chippenham by Train with a Party 7 (Ugh) each for company. We were with two friends, one a Palarse supporter the other the father of Darren Eddy late of Leicester and Norwich. Party 7's fully drained we made our way to the Fulham Road and a Pub full of Saints Fans. On entering the ground we squeezed into a spot in the middle of the shed and awaited the spectacle to come, the arrival of Malcolm Allison resplendent in silly hat prompted some friendly banter. Before the game started the know infamous rivers of p*ss started rolling down the terraces. The game tough not a classic was great to witness, Saints in control and winning a place in the FA Cup Final. Our journey home flew by and we were soon in our village local recounting the day and adding to the truth!

I missed this one, along with the earlier replay at Villa Park and West Brom away. The WBA game was one where we set out but got as far as Bromsgrove, before the van we were travelling in conked out with a burst radiator. The semi-final coincided with our A Level Geography fieldtrip, and I was on the way down from the top of Cader Idris with just about enough radio signal to hear Rag Trade win the National. We were in some kind of radio black hole. Whoever had the radio by chance switched it on, and the first we heard of it was the commentator saying something along the lines of 'and its over to Stamford Bridge where Southampton are now two up.' We didn't even know we were one up. Sod the roche moutonees, boulder clay, glacial striations and hanging valleys we were going to Wembley! Most of us were Saints fans so feck all fieldwork was done for the rest of that afternoon.The footage of that game I've never seen. Trying to find somewhere in North Wales to watch the Big match the following day was mission impossible.