Post-Match Reaction: Stoke City 2-1 SAINTS

Saint-Armstrong

Schneiderlin put Saints in front after 22 minutes, before Kelvin misjudged a miscued N'Zonzi cross and Diouf lashed in.

Charlie Adam then volleyed Stoke in front with just four minutes of normal time remaining.

Toby Alderweireld stretchered off after falling and clutching his shoulder on the ground.

Saints still sat on their record Premier League points total, and have five more games to set a new record.

Just feels that today is such a missed opportunity, I thought we played really well - but the same old problems haunted us up top, and we had some new problems haunting us at the back - not exactly a winning combination.

Steven Davis has been really, really poor for weeks now. Seems off the pace, slow to react, his passing has been simply atrocious and he looks like he's lumbering around most weeks.

I don't think Pelle played too badly today, despite what some say - Tadic was again frustrating, just flits in and out these days, teams easily contain him. Mane caused problems with his pace, a little bit erratic as he always will be, but our only real potent threat up top it has to be said.

It looks to be a battle between ourselves and Spurs for 6th, no higher than that now. Thankfully we also can't finish lower than 7th, so barring a set of amazing results in league and cup over the next few weeks, we are looking at being in Europe next season which is a great achievement.

Let's prioritize a goal keeper in the summer though...

Pretty disappointed with that.

Not good enough in attack. Pelle started off well but he barely moved in that second half.

One thing is for sure, we need two new goalkeepers in the transfer window. We can't risk having Kelvin Davis as backup, he's a liability at this level. Always has been and always will be.

Very poor defensively from basically the entire defensive

Yes kelvin misjudged the cross badly but Fonte was lazy in keeping the Stoke player onside and both Clyne and Fonte were stagnant when the ball hit the cross bar - we still had a 2 vs 1 bit only one player reacted

2nd goal awful from s Davis with a dinky header to nowhere and a slack clearance - and as a member of our front four he offers nothing which leaves pelle completely isolated against 2 players most of the day.

Every time mane looks dangerous he ends up on the ground

Really goes to show that as well as we have done this season there is still a massive overall gulf in quality

Massive disappointment considering we were leading at half time against a team who have nothing left to play for this season. Two appalling goals to conceded and today is the day that the injury to Forster came back to bite us. Made even worse with what looks like season ending injury to Toby. We have been so unlucky with injuries this season but it is the lack of goal scoring that is the real problem. Did not see Pelle cause them one moment of trouble second half. If Tadic had scored the 'open goal' then it would have been different, but just cannot get the killer goal. Stoke seems to be our bad luck team one way or another.

Actually one of our better recent performances and its gutting not to come out of the game with something.

Nice first goal by Fonte & reasonably comfortable first half.

We seemed slow out of the blocks in the 2nd. I see understand Kelvin thinking it was going to hit the bar and go over but should have been playing the percentages and conceding the corner.

Then we starting playing well again and Tadic could have scored if he'd struck it cleaner.

Sadly then i think Koeman got it wrong replacing Tadic with JWP. We lost our shape when we could have done with Long or Elia on. Should have at least responded to their last double change imo.

Second goal felt rather sloppy.

Last panicked 10 minutes of kick and rush where we never threatened was made worse by what seemed an injury during and innocuous challenge on Toby.

All in all a big shame as at 1-0 the dream of 4th was still alive. Now we've got a huge 6 pointer against Spurs to try and bounce back for.

Shame, thought it was a tough game, didn't expect a win but thought we'd done enough for a draw.

I know 7th might get Europa league but I'd love 6th. Going to be really tough as we keep losing games. Think we've just changed things round too often and lost what made us good. Although mainly the decision to play Wanyama last week cost us today and could cost us next weekend too.

Wish people would stop laying into players though. It's form, they'll lose it sometimes, they've still given us our best ever season and it's really embarrassing seeing more moaning than ever.

Totally agree with this. I guess being a goal up with our defensive record and against a team with relatively little to play for makes the loss especially deflating - it's the hope that kills you!

Played better than Stoke. But hardly threatened again.

Morgan was our best player. Superb in the 1st half. Mane dangerous on the break

Kelvin messed up royally in goal. But that is what he does. Davis was poor and Pelle gives the ball away so much and moves so little. Clyne is running down the line to whip a cross in and he stands still on the edge of the area. Just does not move.

That game was there for us to win. Other than a set piece and Tadic one. I do not think begovic had a save to make.

Stoke remain the dirtiest team in the PL yet Clattenberg still gave everything to them when in 50/50 tussles. How can we lose to such a bunch of worthless tossers? What a miserable evening this is going to be and all the women will say is "why do you take it so seriously, it's only a football match". Bloody hell, when will we ever win easy?

Second goal The referees Assistant Missed two offsides!!!!!

We get an onsite one on one and linesman gives it offside!!!!

Luck played a huge part in thir first goal.

And Alderweireld probably won't play for Saints again.

F u king Fantastic.

Best team got cheated again.

Sodding ruined my weekend that result.

Recently the team selections, personnel being used,substitutions and formations have become a little baffling Mr Koeman.

So frustrating.

We have played poorly for a considerable time now.....long time since we showed sustained pressure on the opposition and truly dominated a team.

I know we don't have a Devine right but something is not clicking.

Overall it's been an impressive season......but we just seem to be meandering to its conclusion.

I won't be too bothered if Toby doesn't sign.....he's been injured so frequently..

I think he's always likely to miss a lot of games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not good enough attack wise to do much more than 6th or 7th which is a great season still.

But poor away form of late with no points from Everton, West Brom and Stoke.

Agreed Yuki, and congratulations on suddenly having a full command of the English language.

Can't see how SKD can be blamed for a freak goal - we should have put away the chances we had. Steven Davis was poor today. Pelle can't play with the ball at his feet - in fact he is just not consistently decent at anything apart from moaning. Tadic was largely anonymous. Stupid decision putting Toby in at DMF - better off playing him at CB and putting Reed in for Wanyama. I really don't like watching Stoke - they are worse than Wet Sham...Adams is just horrible player. Clattertwerp let Stoke get away with all the niggly fouls. Pretty much nails on 7th I would think.

Crouch seemed offside if im honest.Disappointing result in a game that appeared comfortable and even more so now with another injury to toby :(Big game next week need to bounce back COYR

Your sir have a quality username and it gives me an opportunity to post my fav meme about my fav player.

download.jpeg

Southampton FC @SouthamptonFC

Koeman: "It's difficult to understand that #SaintsFC lost today because I think we played well. We played good football. We were by far the better team, but it's difficult of the way how they play with a lot of physicality and long balls. They are dangerous at set-pieces and there is always the possibility that they can score. It's difficult to defend."

Southampton FC @SouthamptonFC

Koeman confirms @AlderweireldTob suffered a shoulder injury late on, but the early signs are "positive". #saintsfc