Toby

miserableoldgit

Sorry in advance if there is thread on this, but I have been out of the loop for the last three days. I managed to catch the last few minutes is Saturday's match on line and heard about the supposed bad injury. I fully expected to see a thread about this when I checked back in but can't see anything. What is the latest on Toby?

Apparently he dislocated his shoulder, but it popped back in and there was no lasting damage. Koeman seemed to think there will be no issues.

It looked a lot worse than it was, thankfully.

It may have popped back in, as Koeman said, but that does not mean he will be ready to play again. There will need to be follow up to see if any fracture occurred and there will have been serious damage to tissue in the area. Unless we are very lucky I doubt we will see Toby playing in a Saints shirt again this season. I'd love to be proved wrong of course, but it is probably 12-16 weeks to fully recover from a dislocated shoulder.

It may have popped back in, as Koeman said, but that does not mean he will be ready to play again. There will need to be follow up to see if any fracture occurred and there will have been serious damage to tissue in the area. Unless we are very lucky I doubt we will see Toby playing in a Saints shirt again this season. I'd love to be proved wrong of course, but it is probably 12-16 weeks to fully recover from a dislocated shoulder.

Not always the case if it pops straight back in. I suspect that Koeman wouldn't say that he 'looks to be ok' if he wasn't. Presumably the medical staff are well aware of any potential follow ups and would have informed the manager. RK tends to be pretty accurate when disclosing time frames for injuries etc. and I doubt he'd have said anything ill informed.

Not always the case if it pops straight back in. I suspect that Koeman wouldn't say that he 'looks to be ok' if he wasn't. Presumably the medical staff are well aware of any potential follow ups and would have informed the manager. RK tends to be pretty accurate when disclosing time frames for injuries etc. and I doubt he'd have said anything ill informed.
I'm sure RK would not say anything ill informed either. The fact that it "popped back in" (usually referred to as "reduction") is usually good news. But until he has had x-rays and follow ups the extent of the damage will not be known, there could be an associated fracture, in which case surgery will be required. Clearly that had not happened when RK made his comments, might have had x-rays today if swelling had gone down sufficiently. But the dislocation will still have damaged muscles and other soft tissues. After reduction the shoulder is usually immobiised for 3-4 weeks, so I would suggest best case scenario is that he could be back for Man City game.Oddly enough one of the techniques for reduction is called the "Mane Technique".Wish Toby well.

His injury record appears fairly good until this season. I do wonder if the frequency in which he gets injured (which could just be a coincidence) will impact how far we stretch to try and sign him permanently. It's not the fee' date=' it'll be the wages.[/quote']

his previous injury lay-off came after the Man Utd game at OT, when he played out of position for part of the game and got crocked.

Think he's dominant in the back-line, but as on Saturday, unlucky to be injured when getting involved in those " midfield tussles ".

his previous injury lay-off came after the Man Utd game at OT, when he played out of position for part of the game and got crocked.

Think he's dominant in the back-line, but as on Saturday, unlucky to be injured when getting involved in those " midfield tussles ".

He was playing as CB at United and was untouched - pulled his hamstring as he tracked a dangerous diagonal ball for Di Maria IIRC.

I stand corrected, but I thought I recalled him playing in a midfield role ....and he picked up a knock of some sort, and went off......or ?

Wasn't that against Arsenal away? He went off afer we'd used all of our subs and the knobbers scored. Think he was at CB to start though,might have changed afterwards, don't remember.

Edit Started CB, Cork went off and Maya came on so I suppose that Toby went to MF.

Edited by Window Cleaner
y

His injury record appears fairly good until this season. I do wonder if the frequency in which he gets injured (which could just be a coincidence) will impact how far we stretch to try and sign him permanently. It's not the fee' date=' it'll be the wages.[/quote']

He has hamstrings like Costa.

Will never play 38 games a season.

Still worth it.

Toby 'Clean Sheet' Alderweireld

I'm sure RK would not say anything ill informed either. The fact that it "popped back in" (usually referred to as "reduction") is usually good news. But until he has had x-rays and follow ups the extent of the damage will not be known, there could be an associated fracture, in which case surgery will be required. Clearly that had not happened when RK made his comments, might have had x-rays today if swelling had gone down sufficiently. But the dislocation will still have damaged muscles and other soft tissues. After reduction the shoulder is usually immobiised for 3-4 weeks, so I would suggest best case scenario is that he could be back for Man City game.Oddly enough one of the techniques for reduction is called the "Mane Technique".Wish Toby well.

Said as much to all my mates at the game last night.

RK may well be right in that it popped back in and there is no long term damage, but as you say I would venture any dislocation (I'm in to double figures!!!) requires a number of weeks tucked up. Don't reckon we will see him in a Saints shirt again, which is a real shame.

As we've already got a deal agreed I suspect wages are a non-factor because they'll be whatever was agreed at the start of the season. However, as we also already "know" Atletico are recalling him, I can't really see us being back in for him (unless the couple of million pay-off works as a nice little cost reducer and enables us to be a little more competitive).

I suspect that bloody Liverpool will sign him though. Or City, though we might get it done before they can sort their management situation out.

Wasn't that against Arsenal away? He went off afer we'd used all of our subs and the knobbers scored. Think he was at CB to start though,might have changed afterwards, don't remember.

Edit Started CB, Cork went off and Maya came on so I suppose that Toby went to MF.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened. He got injured shooting on the edge of the box, thigh injury.

As we've already got a deal agreed I suspect wages are a non-factor because they'll be whatever was agreed at the start of the season. However, as we also already "know" Atletico are recalling him, I can't really see us being back in for him (unless the couple of million pay-off works as a nice little cost reducer and enables us to be a little more competitive).

I suspect that bloody Liverpool will sign him though. Or City, though we might get it done before they can sort their management situation out.

Has he not already said he would like to stay here (as opposed to sign elsewhere)? I know Atletico want him back, but I dont see this as any different to us not wanting Lallana or Lovren to leave. So unless Toby has had a change of heart this is not over.

Has he not already said he would like to stay here (as opposed to sign elsewhere)? I know Atletico want him back, but I dont see this as any different to us not wanting Lallana or Lovren to leave. So unless Toby has had a change of heart this is not over.

True but that would easily change if one of the big boys shows an interest. At the moment I'm working on the idea that we got a quality player for a season, whose helped as achieve our best season in the PL, and will get 1.5 million at the end of the season for the privilege......any more than that is a bonus.

He has, but he's also repeatedly said it's out of his hands.

From an interview done today...

Simon Peach@SimonPeach 10m10 minutes ago

Ronald Koeman says @AlderweireldTob's injury is "looking positive", so he could play against #THFC. He will have a clearer idea on Thursday.

If Athletico are genuinely looking to play Toby as a regular, then they'll take him back.

However, if they back out of the deal, (and incur the £1.5 million payment to us), it must be worth our while to outbid other contenders in an auction - (if there any).

Looking at some of players we've spent £ 9-12 million on in the last season or so, he must be worth it, and he's (apparantly) adamant that he wants to stay.

If it wasn't for Jose Fonte's outstanding season, Toby would be my Player of the Season.

that's half the battle - isn't it ? ....sadly it's Athletico that hold his contract, though. If they insist he returns, we don't have much say - do we ?

Of course not, but as we found out last summer player power is king. If Toby genuinely wants to stay with us and we put our money where our mouths are then we might be able to do a deal. It'll be a long summer but I'm confident we can keep him.

Of course not, but as we found out last summer player power is king.

If Toby genuinely wants to stay with us and we put our money where our mouths are then we might be able to do a deal.

It'll be a long summer but I'm confident we can keep him.

let's hope so, he certainly wouldn't require any sort of " bonding " period that so many new players often need.

I look at At.Madrid though and I see Godin and Miranda, their first choice - 2 terrific centre backs in their prime. Then they have Gimenez, who is a 20 something CB - massively highly rated. Unless they lose 2 CB's in the summer, I can't see Toby going back there to be a first choice centre back for them. So yes, maybe they do want him back as he's a terrific player to have as part of their squad, but does Toby want to be a squad player anymore? I imagine his ambition is to be a first choice player, and he'd get that here every week.

It's not as clear cut as it sounds. It won't be easy to get him, but I think we're making any decision he has to make very difficult.

I look at At.Madrid though and I see Godin and Miranda, their first choice - 2 terrific centre backs in their prime. Then they have Gimenez, who is a 20 something CB - massively highly rated. Unless they lose 2 CB's in the summer, I can't see Toby going back there to be a first choice centre back for them. So yes, maybe they do want him back as he's a terrific player to have as part of their squad, but does Toby want to be a squad player anymore? I imagine his ambition is to be a first choice player, and he'd get that here every week.

It's not as clear cut as it sounds. It won't be easy to get him, but I think we're making any decision he has to make very difficult.

As Koeman said the other week, the club know Toby wants to stay, now its down to Les Reed !!

No pressure then Les :lol:

I don't get why everyone's assuming he's gonna leave. We can clearly afford him and he wants to stay, he's gonna be here next season. Schneiderlin, Clyne and Davis will be the only first teamers sold

Because Atletico will either

a) have him back and use him in their team, or

b) pay whatever amount of cash they need to pay to us and sell him to the highest bidder, which will either be a team in the Champions League, or one who will double his wages.

I love the bloke, but there's no way he'd stay here unless, for some bizarre reason, no one else wants him.

Because Atletico will either

a) have him back and use him in their team, or

b) pay whatever amount of cash they need to pay to us and sell him to the highest bidder, which will either be a team in the Champions League, or one who will double his wages.

I love the bloke, but there's no way he'd stay here unless, for some bizarre reason, no one else wants him.

You're over exaggerating how good he is. He's not even been our best CB this season, everyone's like "herp derp he's the best cb we've ever had" whilst proceeding to agree that fonte's been our best player this year, which he clearly has

You're over exaggerating how good he is. He's not even been our best CB this season, everyone's like "herp derp he's the best cb we've ever had" whilst proceeding to agree that fonte's been our best player this year, which he clearly has

I'm not. Seriously, it's blindingly obvious that he's the better player. He's not only easily our best CB, he's our 3rd best midfielder and it's not even his position. He plays RB for one of the best national teams in the world and is about 6 years younger than Fonte.

People can vote for who they want, doesn't mean they are right. Fonte's been great, has improved again this season. He's been with us from the bottom of League 1 and progressed to a decent Premier League player who has snuck into his national side. Many votes for him will be due to a mixture of that, the loyalty he's shown, his place as captain, his leadership and the fact he's played pretty much every game as opposed to Toby who spent a long time injured and isn't a Saints player.

He's still miles better though.

A large part of me thinks that Alderweireld's repeated comments that he would like to say are just good PR on his part, so that he doesn't get any grief from the fans.

Even if his wife does like the Southampton area, ultimately money talks. Both for Atletico and Alderweireld.

A large part of me thinks that Alderweireld's repeated comments that he would like to STAY are just good PR on his part, so that he doesn't get any grief from the fans.

Even if his wife does like the Southampton area, ultimately money talks. Both for Atletico and Alderweireld.

Edited for daft typo.

I'm not. Seriously, it's blindingly obvious that he's the better player. He's not only easily our best CB, he's our 3rd best midfielder and it's not even his position. He plays RB for one of the best national teams in the world and is about 6 years younger than Fonte.

People can vote for who they want, doesn't mean they are right. Fonte's been great, has improved again this season. He's been with us from the bottom of League 1 and progressed to a decent Premier League player who has snuck into his national side. Many votes for him will be due to a mixture of that, the loyalty he's shown, his place as captain, his leadership and the fact he's played pretty much every game as opposed to Toby who spent a long time injured and isn't a Saints player.

He's still miles better though.

Yeah ok bro, you keep telling yourself that.