Athletic Bilbao to honour Matt Le Tissier

Saint-Armstrong

Interesting award in these times! Great honour that the first award goes to Matt.

There is a comment in there about him not being allowed to be involved as an official to a club due to his work with SkyBet. How does that work at Stoke then with Peter Coates as chairman?

Every Saints player should have to read this piece. People simply do not know how respected Matty was abroad. I remember meeting the Italian Southampton supporters club after we played Derby County 12 years or so ago and they told me that they existed purely because of Matt. They also included several cabinet ministers at the time.

A mere 8 caps! Tells us all we need to know about English football. I'd like to think he's get more caps if playing now but I'm not convinced he'd get the international recognition his talent deserved.

Still makes me angry. But great the international community recognises him as the genius that he was. I think people will still be talking about him in 50 years time.

A mere 8 caps! Tells us all we need to know about English football. I'd like to think he's get more caps if playing now but I'm not convinced he'd get the international recognition his talent deserved.

As Pele said, if he was Brazilian he'd be in their starting 11. Not good enough for England though, we had much better talent ahead of him. :uhoh:

"To play for the best teams is a difficult challenge. But to play against the best teams and try to beat them is an even greater challenge. That is what I do."

This needs to be printed on T-Shirts, slapped on billboards around the city and engraved on the brass plaque attached to the pedestal his statue, when he gets one - make it happen!

"To play for the best teams is a difficult challenge. But to play against the best teams and try to beat them is an even greater challenge. That is what I do."

This needs to be printed on T-Shirts, slapped on billboards around the city and engraved on the brass plaque attached to the pedestal his statue, when he gets one - make it happen!

Certainly needs to be quoted / printed / highlighted very prominently around St Marys and Staplewood

Don't get me started. Virtually any other international side would have been built around a talented player like Matt. All huff n puff our lot with zero skill.

Great read that. Athletic Bilbao are now my favourite La Liga club. :thumbup:

Surely if he had more than 8 caps he'd have sodded off to join Liverpool or Man U at the first opportunity..? ;)

Other way around mate. If he had sodded off to join Liverpool or Man U he would've had more than 8 caps.

Great read that. Athletic Bilbao are now my favourite La Liga club. :thumbup:

Other way around mate. If he had sodded off to join Liverpool or Man U he would've had more than 8 caps.

I think it works either way around 28_F. There's both the Lallana/Lambert/Shaw precedent and the Smalling/Jones/Wes Brown one.

I consider Athletic to be our 'twin' club. The kit story is the obvious link, but the way they have always brought players through is similar. They are having a decent (ish) season built on a solid defence but struggled with goals a fair bit.

The two cities share a fair bit of history too with Southampton welcoming a large number of Basque immigrants during the Spanish Civil War in the 30s.

The old San Mames was a fantastic stadium, unbelievable atmosphere. The time I went was a 5-1 thumping of Valencia who at the time were managed by non other than our very own Ronald Koeman.

Delighted they've recognised Le God like this, as mentioned above, people don't how highly he is regarded abroad.

They showed him at half time of Bilbaos game tonight on Sky. They showed the vid apparently then presented the award. Standing and lasting ovation from 60000 crowd. Tiss looked genuinely touched and was saluting all sides of the ground. Such a worthy recipient of a unique award in football.

They showed him at half time of Bilbaos game tonight on Sky. They showed the vid apparently then presented the award. Standing and lasting ovation from 60000 crowd. Tiss looked genuinely touched and was saluting all sides of the ground. Such a worthy recipient of a unique award in football.

That is FANTASTIC! :) :)

Anyone found a video clip anywhere?

I done a tour of their old ground and in the museum their was a big saints badge with a write up on us saying how the club have the stripes because of us. They went over here to get some kits off blackburn but ended up gettin kits off us....my spanish team ever since!

• 3 months later...