Victor Wanyama tells The Sun that Arsenal want to sign him

Saint-Armstrong

• 2 weeks later...
What about Liverpool where Coutinho managed to drift into space between Davis and Wanyama and hit an unchallenged shot from 25 yards? We're lucky to have two great defensive midfielders, only one of them is world class.

Schneiderlin is the better, more intelligent player.

'LL

If someone could tell me where Wanyama gets his hair cut and get me a bottle of Lambrini, I could probably get to the bottom of this in about 20 minutes.

[emoji38]

Victor Wanyama will be 100% at Southampton next season.

My source Mr Wanyama

100%?

So if Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool put in a bid and a better contract offer, he will be saying 'No thanks'?

Hmmmm....

100%?

So if Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool put in a bid and a better contract offer, he will be saying 'No thanks'? Hmmmm....

......or .......looking at it another way.....if we get an offer that " we can't refuse " .......would we say no thanks....?

......or .......looking at it another way.....if we get an offer that " we can't refuse " .......would we say no thanks....?

By definition we would not refuse an offer we can't refuse. Liebherr needs to increase security on her horses.

• 4 weeks later...
FFS, why do players do this?

Probably because when they don't have a Club You Tube camera in their face they feel they can speak freely.

Lukaku did earlier this week, Suarez did all last season and Schneiderlin has a lot this season, even Fonte did earlier this week too.

Its easy to excuse it as "lost in translation" but they have a right to free speech.

Seems like our players are worse than others for it.

Doubt it. You just don't read stories about Enner Valencia or other non top 4 players/Saints players because you aren't as interested most likely.

But if you see what he (Valencia) wrote on his facebook this week...

Sissoko also been hyping interest from Chelsea. Benteke, Lukaku, Idrissa Gueye...they all do it.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Journalist: I hear Arsenal are interested in signing you. That must be exciting?

Victor: Of course, they are a great team. But I am a Southampton player and I am happy etc...

How else would you expect a player from a club who never finished in the top 4 to answer that? "No, I would not like to play for Arsenal. Boring, boring Arsenal." "As a massive Spurs fan, I can say that I will never sign for the Gooooners".

The only other way to answer that is with some disengenous fluff about loving Southampton and being happy to stay here for the rest of your career.....

As long as he is professional on the pitch and in the way he conducts himself (ie. he is not saying things which are openly crtical of the club) I have no problem with players answering questions like that truthfully. If he wouldn't rather double his money at Arsenal and have a much better chance of winning some major trophies then it would be a bit odd. It's also a bit odd if fans don't realise that and would rather listen to deceiftul Lallana-isms.

To be honest, I would be surprised if there is any serious interest from Arsenal at this stage anyway.

Probably because when they don't have a Club You Tube camera in their face they feel they can speak freely.

Lukaku did earlier this week, Suarez did all last season and Schneiderlin has a lot this season, even Fonte did earlier this week too.

Its easy to excuse it as "lost in translation" but they have a right to free speech.

They also have the right to get fined according to the conditions in their contract, some of which are likely to explicity prohibit this kind of thing.

Seems like our players are worse than others for it.

Nah.

Suarez did the same last year, Lukaku is doing the same at the mo. Bale did the same before he moved from Spurs. Ronaldo before he moved to Madrid.

It happens because it's the question of the month to ask...and they'll obviously give an answer like that. It's just generic really. Of course they'd like to play for that club, but if they don't bid, we don't accept, then it's a non-discussion point. But that doesn't sound interesting in the press, so they need to make a story.

Don't think he's said anything wrong to be fair. Some people whinge about anything.

Absolutely, who wouldn't like to play for Arsenal....really, bet there are even Tottenham players who wouldn't mind.

Arsenal win the occasional (ok very) trophy, players want to do that. Also there's a certain recognition of these clubs beyond our shores. Saints? Well we're kind of famous just now for our great start and ultimate implosion. That's how it's seen outside the UK.

Edited by Window Cleaner

How else would you expect a player from a club who never finished in the top 4 to answer that?

Simple. "look, arsenal are a big club, but right now I'm happy at Southampton. Next question."

He can think what he likes, and talk to his advisors and friends about his wishes, but in the public domain? No, I think he should be faithful to the club that pays his wages. There again, I don't think he wanted to come here anyway. Wasn't he holding out for a bigger club?

Not that i ever liked the plum, but none of this players talking to the media happened when Cortese was around. I think some of the players are now abusing the situation and they shouldnt be allowed to talk about this stuff. I would make it clear to them and their agent that any talk like we have seen from Morgan or Wanyama puts another £1million pounds on their transfer value.

Not that i ever liked the plum, but none of this players talking to the media happened when Cortese was around. I think some of the players are now abusing the situation and they shouldnt be allowed to talk about this stuff. I would make it clear to them and their agent that any talk like we have seen from Morgan or Wanyama puts another £1million pounds on their transfer value.

maybe because when cortese was around we finished 14th- our players weren't sought after as much...

maybe because when cortese was around we finished 14th- our players weren't sought after as much...

This is exactly it, which people don't seem to grasp. Under Cortese there was genuine growth for the club, L1, NPC, bottom half of PL...but now, a club of our size has hit it's ceiling. The players know that themselves. That's all it is.

People get quite upset when they read something that is a (possibly poor and inaccurate) translation of a (possibly incomplete and inaccurate) transcript of a (possibly inaccurate and relayed by a third or fourth party) conversation which is possibly reported inaccurately and without any form of context.

Whenever I have been in anything reported in the press, radio, TV or any media it is always excruciatingly WRONG!

Are we talking about the same player who only learned how to pass the pass properly this season? It seems like the second any of our players rise to the dizzying levels of 'effective' and 'reliable' they are in demand as if they are world beaters.

Are we talking about the same player who only learned how to pass the pass properly this season? It seems like the second any of our players rise to the dizzying levels of 'effective' and 'reliable' they are in demand as if they are world beaters.

From what I saw against City he's forgotten again quickly enough.

Think everyone is going a bit too nuts about this.

Like Fonte earlier it had probably been asked whether he'd like to play for a club like Arsenal/Liverpool etc. 'one day' and they give this answer, a kind of 'never say never' response and it gets blown up by the media.

This is why http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/445981/Southampton-Victor-Wanyama-wants-to-join-Arsenal none of our players should talk about their own positions. Scummy little Alex Crook of ****e.

What has Alex Crook done wrong exactly?

If he'd been a lying scumbag and written a story saying Victor has no interest in joining any other club, would that have been better for your sensitive little soul?

Err... I don't think it was.

...and please provide proof to the contrary. Thx.

Vic's off.

Err, it refers to the same Keynan TV interview as the other reports, and it's in the Metro who entire existence is rehashed copy.

It couldn't be more of a rehash even if it was written by Rehishi "The Rehasher" McRehash.

Edited by CB Fry