Saints v Spurs - post match reaction

Smirking_Saint

Convert half our chances and we win that game. Such a fine line between 1 point and 6 points from the last two games. Fonte scrapes the bar with a great header at the end. Frustrating.

Need West Brom to do us a favour to make it a good weekend.

Mane MotM

Edited by trousers

Davis wasteful and some slack defending, but loads more chances and looked like the old Saints from the start of the season going forward. Still a good point even though it is deflating to give the lead away twice...at least we didn't lose. Pelle and Mane were beasts.

COYR

Cagey start and an enjoyable game to watch. A fair result in my opinion. Shame Davis has no shooting boots, could have been an other two goals.

On the negative side, RK, have a ****ing word with Mane! His diving is embarrassing!

ps, pleased for Pelle, great to see him getting two!

Wasn't watching but it sounds like we had the better of it. Pelle back in the goals, which could be critical. Just a shame FF got injured. I'm not saying KD was at fault today but he was at Stoke and Fraser seems to organise his defence a bit better.

Winnable games coming up though. Sunderland, Villa and Leicester are nothing special. City hopefully will be adrift in 4th on the last day of the season.

Convert half our chances and we win that game. Such a fine line between 1 point and 6 points from the last two games. Fonte scrapes the bar with a great header at the end. Frustrating.

Well yes; we'd have scored 6 or 7 if we'd have converted only half of our shots on target.

Good performance today.

Disappointed not to win, the lads were unlucky. Pelle had a very good game, hopefully he can have a strong end to the season.

Don't see any reason for Steven Davis to start next weekend, he's been poor for a while now. Three decent chances today and none of them went anywhere near the target.

Mane MotM

They're quite capable of doing that. Fingers crossed.

Would have been a comfortable win had it not been for Steven Davis. Should have had a hattrick, got none and was very poor again.

Kelvin should've done better with both Spurs goals, just got old and his reflexes are not up to Prem standard (never really were tbf).

We were the better team overall, but Mane has to stop diving, and (paradoxically) refs have to start giving us more decisions so its not neccessary to. 4-1 would have been a fair reflection.

Mane man of the match for me, although Pelle a worthy shout. Aldeweireld good in the middle. Wonder of he'll stay there now because of his shoulder. Especially if Morgan has a serious injury. I'll worry about Mane's diving when he starts getting booked for it. Plenty of "bigger name" players are happy enough to do it.

I'll worry about Mane's diving when he starts getting booked for it. Plenty of "bigger name" players are happy enough to do it.

That doesn't make it acceptable, but I take your point. Refs give him a lot outside the penalty area, but rarely if ever inside. Getting a reputation I think.

Would have been a comfortable win had it not been for Steven Davis. Should have had a hattrick, got none and was very poor again.

Kelvin should've done better with both Spurs goals, just got old and his reflexes are not up to Prem standard (never really were tbf).

We were the better team overall, but Mane has to stop diving, and (paradoxically) refs have to start giving us more decisions so its not neccessary to. 4-1 would have been a fair reflection.

Harsh on Kelvin I thought. Would put either goal down to him. Yoshida was certainly asleep for the 2nd and the first came off an arm.

Great game to watch and a joy to see a return of attacking football by Saints. Best game of the season by Pelle; Mane a handful all day, Bertrand, Morgan, Jose and Toby all good. Steven Davis and Ward-. Prowse were weak links in midfield. Good cameos by Long and Elia. In the end the difference was probably the performance of the goalkeepers. Sentiment aside, would like to see Gazza thrown in for the last four games.

Gutted we gave the lead away twice, but an excellent performance. Whether we finish 5th, 6th or 7th: we still mix it with the best teams in the premiership. Which is thing to be proud of. Motm schneidelin. Would have been mane but for his diving. I also think yoshida deserves a worthy mention, despite losing chadli for the second goal. He was otherwise excellent

What has tadic done wrong? Surely in Davis's role he's more likely to get goals?

And why do we always take JWP off? So many games are decided late on by set pieces and we don't have much when he's off. Aaaaaahhh!!! Most gutting result in ages. ��

A draw? Against another top 6 side? Frustrating more than gutting I'd say.

I do agree with you about both Tadic and Ward-Prowse though.

Davis couldn't hit the side of a mountain with an asteroid right now.

Harsh on Kelvin I thought. Would put either goal down to him. Yoshida was certainly asleep for the 2nd and the first came off an arm.

First goal Kelvin looked like a schoolboy, no commanding presence, he's just so small compared to FF. He's never commanded his area so it was always going to happen if they kept banging in the crosses. Handball though, but we are Southampton, and that $hit happens to us all the time so not surprised.

Too slow to move his feet for the second, and a lack of anticipation - he was so close to his near post it was obvious Chadli would shoot across him but he wasn't ready. Agreed, Yoshida should've done better too but Kelvin was too slow to react.

What has happened to Steven Davis? From being an unsung hero for much of the season he's now turning into Jermaine Wright, God help us!!

Pundits on BT were scathing of Kelvin for his positioning for goal 2, said that he should never have let one in from that angle. Rightly so IMO.

If Steven Davis could shoot.......he'd be a great player and we probably couldn't afford him

Ummm not quite. Most prem midfielders would have put those chances on target. Being able to kick a football is kind of a requirement when you're an elite professional footballer.

What has tadic done wrong? Surely in Davis's role he's more likely to get goals?

And why do we always take JWP off? So many games are decided late on by set pieces and we don't have much when he's off. Aaaaaahhh!!! Most gutting result in ages. ��

Agreed

Found it quite surprising JWP came off, though he was having a good game personally

That was tense.

Really woeful from Davis, what can I say, gets himself into position then fluffs it up. Disappointing. Shocked when JWP was taken off, should have been Davis. maybe Tadic instead.

Pelle

The spuds 1st goal was 'Maradona' Style ;-(

Second one should have been saved, the angle ggggggrrrrrrrrrrr. We miss Forster.

Fonte was good, as was morgan.

Think positive ,could have suffered from Erickson late winner.

BTW where was kane. Thought he was better than messi. aha

Decent game, had more of the chances and possession. Typically we dont make enough of it though.

Pellè played really well. Davis wasteful on possession, with his shooting and defensively weak.

Did we have more possession? The stats said 36% saints 64% spurs.

Pundits on BT were scathing of Kelvin for his positioning for goal 2, said that he should never have let one in from that angle. Rightly so IMO.

I think his positioning was also poor for Stoke's 2nd last week.

Enjoyed listening to Merrington today for a change but sounded like a great match to be at.

Just glad the 5th place dream is still alive. COYR!!

I think we have to look back at the needless booking Wanyama picked up a couple of weeks ago. Not only did we lose him from midfield but we lost Toby as a centre back and this has disrupted our defence for the last two games.

This is a good shout. 4 goals in 2 games is unheard of.

If you swapped the keepers and Davis for Ericson, we would have won 5 nil.

Good performance, but we need a goal scoring AM for next season.

Plus, Michael Owen is so full of sh#t . If I had the time, I would get a video package of all the dubious free kicks (eg Penalty versus Pochetino) that he dived for.

Pelle man of the match without question. Best game he's had in ages and two goals as well.

Davis had yet another shocker. He's gone from a dependable squad player to looking like a rabbit in the headlights. Suffering a lack of confidence lately but hopefully he'll bounce back from it. Not if he continues to shoot though.

I felt Kelvin Davis should've done better for the second goal. To get beaten from that angle at the far post is not good at any level. Can't fault him for the first. It looked like a deflection off an arm which could've gone anywhere.

Mane was an annoyance to Spurs but mainly they were annoyed at him falling over. I can sympathise. It was getting embarrassing and I hope Koeman has a word in his shell like.

Shame to see Morgan go off. I wonder if we'll see him in a Saints shirt again..........

Good effort though and if Fonte's header had been a couple of inches lower and Davis' shots had stayed within St Marys it could've been sooooo much better.

Positives:

Pelle scoring

Spuds didn't win

Reached the best point tally in 30-something years

No Ericksen late winner

Negatives:

I like davis, today was poor in the box

Conceded 2 goals that could have been prevented

Mane's diving already has a lot of hate on twitter

1 point in last 6 available

Poch will be more content than Ron. *****r

Good game. We had the better chances clearly.

Pelle my MoM. Good performance

Morgan good

Bertrand good

Mane good but a diving ****

S. Davis. Horrendous game

Why do you always have to have a scapegoat? Have you not learnt from your recent hatred of Pelle?