Southampton pubs

Coxford_lou

The Waterloo and the Welly are both reasonably well populated. Welly has loads of different beers. Waterloo's got a nice garden.

Freemantle in general has a surprisingly large amount if pubs and most if them seem to have a decent hard-core of customers. Some of them are a bit special but that's just the general public for you.

Used to go in the Wellington Arms a fair bit, that's pretty close I think?

Yep me too. Very hazy memories though, not helped by being mixed with memories from the Wellington Arms close to Waterloo station. I was carried out of one of these and then dropped, (leading to things getting worse) but it could have been either

Yep me too. Very hazy memories though, not helped by being mixed with memories from the Wellington Arms close to Waterloo station. I was carried out of one of these and then dropped, (leading to things getting worse) but it could have been either

Carried out and then dropped??! There's got to be a story there....

And you seem so responsible, Bucks!

Its unlikely but did anyone else frequent the Anchor & Hope, Threefield Lane? Small and cozy, not the highest quality but a welcome change when walking away from London Road glitzy places

Yes, I used to drink in there a fair bit in the mid-late 70s - liked the place a lot. They served Royal Oak (a lovely strong best bitter from Eldridge Pope) and there was a bar billiard table as well. Proper old neighbourhood boozer. We used to refer to it affectionately as the W*nker and Pope, as you would do.

Long gone now, almost needless to say.

Bullseye is long gone, along with The Target, Elephant & Castle and Chamberlain.

Robin Hood is still going, as are the Gardeners & The Plough.

Hey thanks for telling me that...........did the circuit from pub to pub many years ago.............would tell about the time I passed out in The Gardners in 1973 but there are a lot that hate me on here.

Yes, I used to drink in there a fair bit in the mid-late 70s - liked the place a lot. They served Royal Oak (a lovely strong best bitter from Eldridge Pope) and there was a bar billiard table as well. Proper old neighbourhood boozer. We used to refer to it affectionately as the W*nker and Pope, as you would do.

Long gone now, almost needless to say.

Ah, well I was some years behind you but as I used to work nearby, many an evening out started there. More than a few ended there. Was a Pool table for sure and some decent landlords. Replaced as you say, by a shiny nondescript block of flats.