Goodfellas 25th Anniversary

pap

I agree with Pap!

From that iconic opening sequence with Tony Bennet blasting out 'Rags To Riches' on the soundtrack, right to its wonderfully seedy ending, 'Goodfellas' is without any doubt at all a superb movie. Indeed, Martin Scorsese has arguably produced here a better gangster film than even Francis Ford Coppola managed in his wonderful 'The Godfather' series I think.

Joe Pesci steals the film from under the noses of Robert De Niro and Ray Liotta - that scene set in a restaurant when he 'jokes' with the Liotta character - the know the ''do you think I'm funny'' scene - is quite remarkably tense. I doubt that a psychopath has ever been more chilling portrayed in cinema history. Pesci would go on to receive the 'Best Supporting Actor' Oscar for his performance in Goodfellas, but I take issue with the 'Supporting' description because I think he is central to the success of this film.

oh, and by the standards of the day epic levels of swearing in this film too ...

I agree with Pap!

From that iconic opening sequence with Tony Bennet blasting out 'Rags To Riches' on the soundtrack, right to its wonderfully seedy ending, 'Goodfellas' is without any doubt at all a superb movie. Indeed, Martin Scorsese has arguably produced here a better gangster film than even Francis Ford Coppola managed in his wonderful 'The Godfather' series I think.

Joe Pesci steals the film from under the noses of Robert De Niro and Ray Liotta - that scene set in a restaurant when he 'jokes' with the Liotta character - the know the ''do you think I'm funny'' scene - is quite remarkably tense. I doubt that a psychopath has ever been more chilling portrayed in cinema history. Pesci would go on to receive the 'Best Supporting Actor' Oscar for his performance in Goodfellas, but I take issue with the 'Supporting' description because I think he is central to the success of this film.

oh, and by the standards of the day epic levels of swearing in this film too ...

There is so much creativity to love in that movie, and can't disagree with you on Pesci's performance. The tracking shot as Henry introduces Karen to his world is utterly fantastic. Like yourself, I love the ending too. It's shot so well that you feel as if you're on the beak yourself, enduring the kind of frantic day that Henry is.

Alas, poor Spider.

Still, the actor playing him turned out to be Christopher Moltisanti in the Sopranos.

Ever since I remember I always wanted to be a gangster.

I actually thought it was older than 25 years. Never gets old. Prefer it to godfather, but you're not allowed to say that are you.

Sky Movies have been running the Godfather trilogy for the past week or so.

I do like I and II but Goodfellas is up there with them.