Update from Les Reed on Saints

Lallana's Left Peg

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/9827239/les-reed-says-jay-rodriguez-and-morgan-schneiderlin-will-not-be-leaving-southampton-this-summer?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Lots of good stuff in there. I am glad squad depth for Europe will come from within - would be great to qualify for Europe and see lots of Academy graduates play.

EDIT: Also says we'll loan a keeper or sign a young keeper as Forster will be back in January.

FULL ARTICLE:

Southampton won't accept offers for forward Jay Rodriguez or midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin this summer, according to their Head of Football Development Les Reed.

Reed told SSNHQ: "It wouldn't be our intention to sell any of our players this summer.

"We're in the process of renegotiating contracts with some but our main purpose at the moment is keeping this squad together and adding to it."

Last year, the club sold some of its biggest names in an exodus of players, including Luke Shaw to Manchester United and Dejan Lovren to Liverpool.

However, Rodriguez and Schneiderlin were told they were going nowhere, despite being linked to moves elsewhere, and the club do not expect them to leave this summer.

The Saints are currently sitting seventh in the Premier League table and Reed describes their season as "fantastic".

There success means there is likely to be interest, not just in their players but also manager Ronald Koeman, although Reed expects the Dutchman to stay at least until his contract expires in two years.

"He's said he's going to stay,” said Reed. "Ronald's record at Feyernood and Ajax, where he did a really good job, was that he saw his contract out. He hasn't got a record of jumping".

Reed, who is currently working on the club's five-year strategy, believes they'll be playing European football next season, beating their own expectations:

He added: "If you look at the fixtures in a cold way, then we've got every chance of finishing in the top five.

"If we qualify for Europe, then we'll be absolutely delighted. We weren't going into this season with Europe as a target, and if we do (make it), then we show we've got that momentum moving forward."

Koeman says he'll need a larger squad should Southampton qualify for European football next season but Reed does not expect an influx of big name signings at St Mary’s.

Reed said: "We don't operate like other clubs.

"When other managers say they need a bigger squad, that means go out and buy more players, whereas we develop our players. I think that part of the depth in our squad will come from our academy graduates actually being more permanently in the squad."

Reed says centre-halves Jack Stephens and Jordan Turnball, who have been on loan at Swindon, could return to play regularly next season, and Rodriguez, who has been out injured for a year, will return.

"Jay's training most days now fully with the team,” Reed said. "He's looking in good shape, he's a superb athlete at the moment, from spending such a lot of time training.

"The big question is how does it stand up in the intensity of a Premier League game? It's too early to look at that, at the moment .

"I think he'll be playing next season now. It would be lovely to get him out on the pitch but then you have to weigh that up against the risk. What's important for Jay is that he has a real thorough pre-season with the squad and is fit and strong".

Goalkeeper Fraser Forster is also out injured, but the club won't be signing a big name in the summer to replace him.

Reed said: "At the moment we're looking at Fraser Forster coming back in January next year but, in terms of strength and depth, we'd probably loan a keeper for the full season.

"We're confident Fraser will be back, so we don't want to buy a keeper who is going to be a bench keeper. It makes sense to do a loan or maybe get a young keeper who could help us in the future."

Edited by Lallana's Left Peg

I just hope this doesn't lead to Morgan throwing another hissy fit and going on strike or leaving on bad terms. I've accepted that he'll leave this summer for a big club, but only on good terms. If he does actually agree to stay again then wow, but I can't see it

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/9827239/les-reed-says-jay-rodriguez-and-morgan-schneiderlin-will-not-be-leaving-southampton-this-summer?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Lots of good stuff in there. I am glad squad depth for Europe will come from within - would be great to qualify for Europe and see lots of Academy graduates play.

EDIT: Also says we'll loan a keeper or sign a young keeper as Forster will be back in January.

FULL ARTICLE:

Good old Les Reed, he loves opening a can of worms and stirring it up on here, he loves to keep us guessing over the summer just for the laughs I reckon.

One of them articles where the headlines don't match the quotes IMO i.e. "Southampton won't accept offers for forward Jay Rodriguez or midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin this summer", is conspicuous in absense

I thought that as well - the headline and the tag underneath it saying we won't accept any offers doesn't actually square up with the quote from Les underneath - "It wouldn't be our intention to sell any of our players this summer". The intention is that we won't sell players but if somebody comes in with an offer that we can't refuse then we'll accept it! Bit misleading.

Also they must have stuck a work experience kid on to write this article, it contains the phrases "There success means there is likely to be interest" and "Jordan Turnball". Bad grammar and a lack of research! Double whammy!

Unless I've misread the article, all he says is, "It wouldn't be our intention to sell any of our players this summer."

That's a bit different to 'we wont' or 'we don't expect to'. I'm sure we have every intention of keeping all our top players but I'll eat John Westwood's hat if we do.

I don't have the energy for another Summer of hyperbole, asset stripping, firesales and wet beds.

It wont happen again, we got away with it last year, asset stripping was a bit far but you cant blame people for being worried over the summer.

Thankfully everything seems organised, looking forward to this pre-season

I think he's realistic enough to know this would be happening.

I love that Stephens and Turnbull are still considered part of our plans going forward. So impressed with the way our academy is run.

That'll definitely be an interesting part of pre-season/next season, where those two fit in and how we play them. Turnbull has been used at times as an attacking left back on top of a CB and Stephens has played a fair bit as a defensive midfielder with a decent range of passing. Big step up though.

It wont happen again, we got away with it last year, asset stripping was a bit far but you cant blame people for being worried over the summer.

Thankfully everything seems organised, looking forward to this pre-season

There's being concerned, and there is what we had last summer.

I was concerned at times, no denying that. But, some of the stuff was ridiculous.

Reed said: "We don't operate like other clubs.

"When other managers say they need a bigger squad, that means go out and buy more players, whereas we develop our players. I think that part of the depth in our squad will come from our academy graduates actually being more permanently in the squad."

Christ he talks some s**t. I haven't seen much evidence of integrating academy into the squad with an actual view to them stepping up rather than warming the bench. Among all the highlights and successes this season, promoting the Academy is definitely not one of them. Which is fair enough if they are not good enough; but don't preach otherwise.

Christ he talks some s**t. I haven't seen much evidence of integrating academy into the squad with an actual view to them stepping up rather than warming the bench. Among all the highlights and successes this season, promoting the Academy is definitely not one of them. Which is fair enough if they are not good enough; but don't preach otherwise.

Off the top of my head we've had first team appearances from JWP, Reed, Gape, Hesketh, Targett, McCarthy, Isgrove and Seager this season.

What exactly were you hoping for?

Why is what he says s**t? He's talking about next season isn't he?

No mention of Clyne...

I'd be pretty impressed if we hold on to Morgan (and he's happy about it).

He did an interview on Talksport claiming signs were "looking good" that Clyne would signa new deal.

http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-southampton-chief-claims-signs-look-good-nathaniel-clyne-will-pen-new-deal?

I wish I could share Les Reed's optimism about Clyne/Rodriguez and Schneiderlin, but all three will decide/have already decided to leave IMO and the club need to focus on getting as much money possible out of it and reinvesting it wisely.

Off the top of my head we've had first team appearances from JWP, Reed, Gape, Hesketh, Targett, McCarthy, Isgrove and Seager this season.

And with Gallagher injured for a large chunck of the year, and Turbull and Stephens out getting first team experience.

Good old Les Reed, he loves opening a can of worms and stirring it up on here, he loves to keep us guessing over the summer just for the laughs I reckon.

Haha. His PR team prompted him it's been a bit quiet on here recently... Clearly in cahoots with Steve Grant to keep numbers up.

Behave. You're sounding worse than MLG.

Its quality over quantity. A few mins here and there is proverbial box-ticking. Both Chambers and Gallagher got proper run-outs last season (say compared with Targett and Reed). Only JWP has starred in any kind of role this season (and even then, he possibly featured more last season). Rather than rolling the dice with a youngster, we've opted for square pegs in round holes or loans that have largely disappointed. Which is fair enough if they are better; but say as much rather than trying to have your cake and eat it.

some interesting points, the success of the U21s shows we've got some good lads coming through and as stated above many have had exposure to the first team this season. I've seen Turnbull and Stephens play for Swindon, both had a good season in a successful side.

I won't make any assumptions until we've had Neil Ashtons input as the Kat Dreamwreker fire sale could be back on.

Good thing about the Europa league is we can get some value out of the wages being paid to Florin Gardos and Emmanuel Mayuka.

Behave. You're sounding worse than MLG.

Its quality over quantity. A few mins here and there is proverbial box-ticking. Both Chambers and Gallagher got proper run-outs last season (say compared with Targett and Reed). Only JWP has starred in any kind of role this season (and even then, he possibly featured more last season). Rather than rolling the dice with a youngster, we've opted for square pegs in round holes or loans that have largely disappointed. Which is fair enough if they are better; but say as much rather than trying to have your cake and eat it.

What on Earth are you going to find to complain about in a few years when we're regularly challenging for top 4 spots?

sounds promising

however, remember the stuff last summer about no bids etc for our players....clearly bollix

pretty tragic when players we have on loan to say, Swindon are being talked up....

Edited by Batman

Hmm. We said similar things about intentions last year and it made us look a bit silly (albeit we had the last laugh.) I would rather we just didn't make predictions about keeping players before the summer. I would be astounded if Morgan is here in September (although fair play if Reed pulls it off).

Hmm. We said similar things about intentions last year and it made us look a bit silly (albeit we had the last laugh.) I would rather we just didn't make predictions about keeping players before the summer. I would be astounded if Morgan is here in September (although fair play if Reed pulls it off).

Thing is people get themselves in a right old tizz when the club keep quiet about things as well, as we saw last summer.

Thing is people get themselves in a right old tizz when the club keep quiet about things as well, as we saw last summer.

Nope it was because they came out with a load of guff at the start of the summer and then said nothing as everyone was being sold so it was natural that people would worry.

Look at it practicaly mate. You can't integrate them all in one go... we tried that in the championship on the way down. Instead we developed Shaw, Chambers, JWP, Gallagher etc in one batch with first team football for 12 to months... that means the lower age group have to wait for their opportunity. One does not simply breed fully world class footballers that are ready to go at their first kick!!

As for your view that we haven't been developing the youngsters.... we smashed everton with 7 players under 21 in the matchday squad... If that isn't progress and development I have no idea what is.

Nope it was because they came out with a load of guff at the start of the summer and then said nothing as everyone was being sold so it was natural that people would worry.

Reed gave two statements in about a week, and Ralph gave several interviews.

Granted I don't follow statements from other clubs as closely but I can't imagine they were putting out as much stuff as us. Fair that maybe there wasn't going on there at those clubs, but still people at the club were talking more than anyone else.

I said at the time they were going to be damned whatever they did. There wasn't much to be said, the club stated it's position that they don't comment on things until they are confirmed. People seemed to want daily updates, which was never going to happen.

Personally i don't think you could begrudge MS a move this summer to a CL club, he has got on with it this year and there must have been a verbal agreement he could leave in 2015 - just make sure we get top dollar with a few of them getting in a bidding war

J-Rod they shoud keep and sell Kelvin Davies to Liverpool for £15m :-)