Car Parking Leisure World

spyinthesky

Wonder if anyone has had first hand experience of dealing with a parking ticket from Parking Eye at Leisure World?

My lad has received a ticket (didnt see the signs - his fault)

Normally I would suggest ignoring the 'invoice' but the signs are clear and I understand the rules may have changed recently which may make it a more sensible option to pay up

Any advice welcomed

Pay up. Parking eye recently won a court case so the 'legitimate loss of earnings' defence no longer stands. If he over-stayed which you admit he did then there is no defence.

Parking eye (Capita) are certainly not one of the company's to just ignore. They chase most up and follow them through.

I think that's stretching it. They won a case which will be appealed, probably. It doesn't mean all parking tickets are therefore enforceable. That particular case also related to an overstay at a fee paying car park which is distinguishable from, for example, not showing a permit or overstaying at a free car park.

From my recollection, the signage at West Quay is minimal and not at all clear. I can quite easily see how people would miss them. The OP says, "didn't see the signs - his fault". No it's not; it's their fault.

I would reply by letter saying clearly that you didn't see the signs, that no contract was formed and you have no intention of paying the fine.

That's unless you really can't be arsed with writing a few letters and are just going to cave in anyway the moment they send you some stroppy notices. If so you might as well pay it. The point is, even if they do take you to court and win (unlikely) you haven't lost anything, you would just have to pay the ticket. You wouldn't have to pay their costs.

Pay up. Parking eye recently won a court case so the 'legitimate loss of earnings' defence no longer stands. If he over-stayed which you admit he did then there is no defence.

Parking eye (Capita) are certainly not one of the company's to just ignore. They chase most up and follow them through.

What did they actually win ? By law you can only claim of you have bore a loss. If it is 'free parking' for 1-6 hours what 'loss' is there if you stay for 20 years? Nothing at all is the answer.

I started a thread a little while back, if you fight it the right way you'll be ok

I had a parking eye "ticket" a while back, and followed the online advice of writing one letter to state that you dispute the invoice and decline to pay it. Then ignore any subsequent threats, (which will certainly arrive.) After a few letters from them I didn't hear any more about it.

I was interested to note one of the appeal judges was Lord Moore-Bick. He is an experienced commercial court judge and I have been on the right end of one of his decisions James Budget Sugars v Norwich Union some years ago.

I predict the Supreme Court are unlikely to overturn the decision found on the parking offence unless there is some flaw in both the first court and appeal decision both of which were in favour of the Parking Company.

Based on the court case I would pay up to avoid legal costs although they will not be high as it will be a small claims court.

I was interested to note one of the appeal judges was Lord Moore-Bick. He is an experienced commercial court judge and I have been on the right end of one of his decisions James Budget Sugars v Norwich Union some years ago.

I predict the Supreme Court are unlikely to overturn the decision found on the parking offence unless there is some flaw in both the first court and appeal decision both of which were in favour of the Parking Company.

Based on the court case I would pay up to avoid legal costs although they will not be high as it will be a small claims court.

Legal costs will be £0 in a small claims court. Therefore there is really no point in paying.

Legal costs will be £0 in a small claims court. Therefore there is really no point in paying.

There will be a minimum court fee of £25 which is recoverable. Other incidental costs may also be recoverable. I did say they would not be high but another cost none the less

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread although there does seem to be some conflicting views.

Picking up on Benji's post is it actually correct that, if the worst happened and my lad was pursued to the Small Claims Court, then there is no cost to him?

If so he is basically looking at a cost differential of £40 ie the cost of paying £60 now to get the matter resolved or not settling and risking the 'late payment' cost of £100.

Is it correct that, even if the case was taken to court, the additional £40 could be disputed as it quite a hike on the original 'invoice' amount or would the argument be that the 'invoice' was actually £100 but reduced to £60 for early settlement?

I wonder how many people would pay up if the 'fine' was £10 -£20 or something similar. I would have suggested that to my boy. It is just the scale of the fine that irritates me

I got a ticket a few years ago (via the post) at the car park in West Quay. I received a letter with a photo of my car leaving having over stayed.

I just ignored them. Many letters came over the months, some looking very official with FINAL NOTICE etc written in red...then they just stopped

DONT IGNORE!

That used to be the advice but not anymore. It still works with some campaniles but never ParkingEye. I've had many a ticket from them, including Leisure World and always won the appeal.

First step to to appeal within 28 days. Never admit to being the driver, always appeal as the registered keeper.

The likelihood is they'll reject your appeal but they have to provide you with a POPLA reference which costs them about £20. Then appeal through POPLA and they'll side with you.

Also complain to the land owner as well as the company who's services you were using (eg Odeon). Make sure ParkingEye are aware you're doing that.

Finally if your son has any receipts from visiting Leisure World, keep them.

I have some example letters if you want me to email you them.