Our On-the-Beach mentality is a f**king disgrace

alpine_saint

If we aint in a relegation battle, we're in the beach from April. We were evenike it during our last promotion.

Why ? Its doesnt change with personnel.

Must be we are still a tin-pot club with no ambition.

A pity. I too thought we were on the verge of something special...

If we aint in a relegation battle, we're in the beach from April. We were evenike it during our last promotion.

Something special? Let's be honest, deep in our hearts we all knew this was going to happen, didn't we? :(

Or we really don't want Europa League football ! BTW, 5 Live describe our performance today as being very 'compliant' LOL.

Alpine hears the result and gets on saintsweb

biDFHU0.gif

BOO HOO....and a massive load of crap the highlighted bit is

Is it bedwetter-o-clock already?

We're 7th, best points tally ever, got beaten by a team who played better and wanted it more than we did on the day. That description has largely applied to us this season for more games than it hasn't.

Now go change the sheets!

We're 7th, best points tally ever, got beaten by a team who played better and wanted it more than we did on the day. That description has largely applied to us this season for more games than it hasn't.

More like excuse-o-clock....

Or we really don't want Europa League football ! BTW, 5 Live describe our performance today as being very 'compliant' LOL.

In the match day thread I implied that we threw the game. That suspicion still nags at the back of my mind.

What is a disgrace is the fact that 3000 fans paid £35 a head to watch an awful awful performance. It was a throw back to the gutless performances of the dark wilderness years imo, really shocking to see. The worst performance I've seen in a long long time.

I wouldn't mind but it didn't even look as though the players were trying/cared really. We conceded two sloppy goals from missed challenges and general incompetence.

Vic and Fonte promised us a reaction but what we got was even worse than Sunderland. I do slightly worry that Ron isn't able to motivate the team as effectively as he might. Something has gone badly wrong, hope they figure out what it is over the summer as this is relegation form at the moment and could cause a hangover to next season especially if we have the distraction of qualifying for Europe by default.

The issue for me is that it is looking increasingly likely that our only achievement after such as fantastic season is avoiding relegation. Finishing 7th is great but if we don't get something from the last two matches, we won't even get that (depending on how Swansea do)

This has lead to quite a bit of frustration for me. I'm dead proud of what our team has achieved this season however I am left with a huge sense of 'what could have been'. I'm left feeling that Clyne stopped playing for us as soon as the transfer rumours started.

Still, my club, I support them fully. Ron still gets my full support. Players will go, I will wish some of them aren't going but that's the nature of football these days. We've completely gone against what pretty much every pundit said we would. I just wish we could have done that little bit more - a cup or European Qualification by right.

The issue for me is that it is looking increasingly likely that our only achievement after such as fantastic season is avoiding relegation. Finishing 7th is great but if we don't get something from the last two matches, we won't even get that (depending on how Swansea do)

This has lead to quite a bit of frustration for me. I'm dead proud of what our team has achieved this season however I am left with a huge sense of 'what could have been'. I'm left feeling that Clyne stopped playing for us as soon as the transfer rumours started.

Still, my club, I support them fully. Ron still gets my full support. Players will go, I will wish some of them aren't going but that's the nature of football these days. We've completely gone against what pretty much every pundit said we would. I just wish we could have done that little bit more - a cup or European Qualification by right.

Realistically we were never going to get a CL spot with only one striker in the squad and no proper cover for Forster. The striker situation was difficult because Rodriguez was expected back way sooner so we couldn't really splash out on someone else. The keeper situation is inexcusable tbh, but it's the only major mistake in a ridiculously successful season. If we're not in CL, the only goal has to be to keep improving every season and we've clearly done that, so I don't really give a fuk about these last few games. We did so well this season because the team had a point to prove, they've proven it now they don't give a sh#t.

The squad was never good enough to qualify for Champions League.

This is the same as last year, the bigger clubs with the bigger squads will dig in around February/March/April and usually pull away. Whilst we're still lingering around, we've lost players, had injuries and whilst the big clubs can freshen it up, we can't - and that's where we begin to fall away. Some of the games this year we have put in an enormous effort, Chelsea at home in the final 15 mins, Chelsea away, Man Utd away. A lot of these lads are probably mentally and physically exhausted. It's clear that Tadic in particular hasn't been able to cope with the physical demands in the 2nd half of the season, I'm still hopeful that after the pre-season we will have a much more consistent player there. He's obviously very talented.

The ''glass ceiling'' for clubs like us is a very real thing, and like last year, we've hit it with force and knocked ourselves out yet again. I'll take this every year over a mid-table bore fest though, keeps it interesting for 3/4's of the season at least. It allows us to dream at the very least.

This is the same as last year, the bigger clubs with the bigger squads will dig in around February/March/April and usually pull away. Whilst we're still lingering around, we've lost players, had injuries and whilst the big clubs can freshen it up, we can't - and that's where we begin to fall away. Some of the games this year we have put in an enormous effort, Chelsea at home in the final 15 mins, Chelsea away, Man Utd away. A lot of these lads are probably mentally and physically exhausted. It's clear that Tadic in particular hasn't been able to cope with the physical demands in the 2nd half of the season, I'm still hopeful that after the pre-season we will have a much more consistent player there. He's obviously very talented.

The ''glass ceiling'' for clubs like us is a very real thing, and like last year, we've hit it with force and knocked ourselves out yet again. I'll take this every year over a mid-table bore fest though, keeps it interesting for 3/4's of the season at least. It allows us to dream at the very least.

Absolutely agree with all of that.

Im just worried that Koeman doesn't seem to know at the moment how to get us firing with the players and systems we currently have.. I can see a lot of personnel changes coming in the summer. We need midfielders and strikers who can score goals.

Absolutely agree with all of that.

Im just worried that Koeman doesn't seem to know at the moment how to get us firing with the players and systems we currently have.. I can see a lot of personnel changes coming in the summer. We need midfielders and strikers who can score goals.

He can only do so much with what he's got though, and it's pretty threadbare at the moment and the players playing seem to be physically exhausted. Sometimes that's football for clubs like ourselves and whilst it looks like Koeman has run out of idea's, I don't think it's the case.

He can only do so much with what he's got though, and it's pretty threadbare at the moment and the players playing seem to be physically exhausted. Sometimes that's football for clubs like ourselves and whilst it looks like Koeman has run out of idea's, I don't think it's the case.

No, I agree - I can see him using this summer and really getting things set up how he wants them.

No, I agree - I can see him using this summer and really getting things set up how he wants them.

I think in many ways he was a bit strangled last year, we had a mutiny on our hands and we couldn't really focus on massively improving the gaps we already had, we just had to replace and go like for like, so we could at least be competitive. I think some will question some acquisitions, but in the most part - players like Mane, Toby, Tadic, Betrand, Forster are of top, top quality. We'll probably lose maybe 1 or 2 in the summer, but I think the focus will be a lot more on improving what we had, rather than buying replacements to stay at the same level. We've improved every year for the last 5/6 years and that sort of record suggests that the people behind the scenes know exactly what they're doing.

As respectfully as I can put it, if SFC f u off so much, why don't you support someone else?

Yes it's frustrating but in 30+ years of supporting the mighty Saints, I am certain this is one of our greater seasons, and certainly one I am happy with overall. CL would have been great, but frankly I would rather we skip EL and focus on strengthening our league position nest year and hopefully blood a few more of the youngsters.

What is a disgrace is the fact that 3000 fans paid £35 a head to watch an awful awful performance. It was a throw back to the gutless performances of the dark wilderness years imo, really shocking to see. The worst performance I've seen in a long long time.

I wouldn't mind but it didn't even look as though the players were trying/cared really. We conceded two sloppy goals from missed challenges and general incompetence.

Vic and Fonte promised us a reaction but what we got was even worse than Sunderland. I do slightly worry that Ron isn't able to motivate the team as effectively as he might. Something has gone badly wrong, hope they figure out what it is over the summer as this is relegation form at the moment and could cause a hangover to next season especially if we have the distraction of qualifying for Europe by default.

What a load of rubbish, we've played worse than that in 2015 nevermind in the last 10 years.

What a load of rubbish, we've played worse than that in 2015 nevermind in the last 10 years.

Worst performance that I have seen. Thanks for dismissing an opinion as "a load of rubbish" though. Which 2015 performance in your opinion was worse? We didn't create a meaningful chance against a team that have been very poor this year (I acknowledge that they've been in very good form recently). Did you actually go to the game? If so, I'd be very interested to know which 2015 performance was worse than that. Only one I can think of is WBA away but at least we created a couple of chances in that game that Pelle fluffed.

Really? it's amazing how a couple of losses can provoke that sort of reaction.

Despite our general upward mobility since the takeover we have had crap performances every season this was one of them. Frustrating and annoying though it is your post is a massive over reaction. Considering I thought we'd spend the whole season in the lower half of the table, last summer, this season has been superb.

Our first team is. Our squad isn't.

Agreed ! I really think a lot of people are expecting far too much, too soon. This is only our third season back in the Prem.

First season was survival, Second...8th the best ever....and after last summer..VERY many people (on here) were predicting....certain relegation.

After signing half a new team, we still had a good "half season", but the problem was not the "regular team" but the lack of quality in the rest of the squad.

Looking at the top four clubs... when they sub. one international...another (equally good) comes off the bench. Chelsea (who incidentally we played two drawn games against) are not (IMO) 10 points better than Citeh "football-wise" but have a genuine depth of quality in their squad that can change and link up almost seamlessly.

We lack that capacity, (and please don't blame it on a failure of the Academy, either). A move from U21s to a Prem. bench is a very big step, and it takes a longer time to adapt. For all those sour comments on JWPs performances, (now around 80 games), yet he is still a way off the finished article.

Likewise the emergence of Matt Targett and Harrison Reed is encouraging, but they still lack the level of consistancy that we expect from first teamers. We haven't had as many games as some other Prem sides, but the intensity of the season has begun to take its toll. Players returning from injury don't just pick up where they left off. It takes a run of good games to get back to their original level.Interesting to note that Spuds (playing the same MP high tempo game) have also tailed off a bit now.

In past seasons clubs like; Newcastle, Everton and Swansea have made it to Euro. League, and we can see the result of that reflected in their poor level of Prem. games.

and the "casualty list " of clubs returning to the Championship after one disasterous Prem. season is commonplace every year. That gap is far more than 3 league places.

We may still fall at the last hurdle, but those " disappointed fans " on this site should note that even a 7th place finish is still the best we have ever achieved in the Prem.

Because we've had a good run this season we should be truly encouraged, but the " CL dream " ....may have to wait for another season....or two.

Gotta laugh at the fans who think 7th is nailed on. Personally can't see us getting any more points this season.

Depends what happens tonight with Swansea/Arsenal, and then hope Man City don't lose.

Frankly I don't care any more. The players seem not to, so why should I? Man Utd are in 4th with 68 points, 11 ahead of us. I wonder whether people think that we could have expected to have got 12 more points recently? Ones we have lost this year are Leicester (A), Sunderland (A), Stoke (A), Everton (A), WBA (A), Liverpool (H), Swansea (H). Then of course there are the draws against Spurs (H), Chelsea (A), WHU (H).

The CL was a real possibility up until the end of January. Since then 4W 3D 7L. OK, I am not expecting us to win every single game, but we've fluffed it big time.

Think allot of this is pretty harsh on the squad TBH.

Not allot of people had us finishing anywhere near 7th at the beginning of the season regardless of how we finish. It's been a huge achievement this year.

The performance levels seem to have dropped inline with the probability of getting 4th, I think when you look at Tottenham they seem to have suffered the same fate.

We look mentally and physically exhausted & injuries to key players hasn’t helped

Agreed ! I really think a lot of people are expecting far too much, too soon. This is only our third season back in the Prem.

First season was survival, Second...8th the best ever....and after last summer..VERY many people (on here) were predicting....certain relegation.

After signing half a new team, we still had a good "half season", but the problem was not the "regular team" but the lack of quality in the rest of the squad.

Looking at the top four clubs... when they sub. one international...another (equally good) comes off the bench. Chelsea (who incidentally we played two drawn games against) are not (IMO) 10 points better than Citeh "football-wise" but have a genuine depth of quality in their squad that can change and link up almost seamlessly.

We lack that capacity, (and please don't blame it on a failure of the Academy, either). A move from U21s to a Prem. bench is a very big step, and it takes a longer time to adapt. For all those sour comments on JWPs performances, (now around 80 games), yet he is still a way off the finished article.

Likewise the emergence of Matt Targett and Harrison Reed is encouraging, but they still lack the level of consistancy that we expect from first teamers. We haven't had as many games as some other Prem sides, but the intensity of the season has begun to take its toll. Players returning from injury don't just pick up where they left off. It takes a run of good games to get back to their original level.Interesting to note that Spuds (playing the same MP high tempo game) have also tailed off a bit now.

In past seasons clubs like; Newcastle, Everton and Swansea have made it to Euro. League, and we can see the result of that reflected in their poor level of Prem. games.

and the "casualty list " of clubs returning to the Championship after one disasterous Prem. season is commonplace every year. That gap is far more than 3 league places.

We may still fall at the last hurdle, but those " disappointed fans " on this site should note that even a 7th place finish is still the best we have ever achieved in the Prem.

Because we've had a good run this season we should be truly encouraged, but the " CL dream " ....may have to wait for another season....or two.

David, I agree with everything you've said here. Sad to see so many fans finger pointing like they are...