View Poll Results: Who Was Saints Greatest Left Back

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wayne Bridge

    52 41.27%
  • David Peach

    23 18.25%
  • Francis Benali

    16 12.70%
  • Steve Mills

    6 4.76%
  • Mark Dennis

    26 20.63%
  • Denis Hollywood

    3 2.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 71

Thread: Saints Greatest XI - Best Left-Back Poll

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lordswood
    Posts
    10,143

    Default Saints Greatest XI - Best Left-Back Poll

    The following 6 players for Saints best performing LB have been chosen based on the number of nominations they have gathered. They are:

    Wayne Bridge [1998 - 2003] 151 appearances [2 goals]

    David Peach [1974 - 1980] 224 appearances [34 goals]

    Francis Benali [1988 - 2005] 311 appearances [1 goal]

    Steve Mills [1969 - 1977] 61 appearances [0 goals]

    Mark Dennis [1983 - 1986] 95 appearances [2 goals]

    Dennis Hollywood [1962 - 1972] 262 appearances [4 goals]

    Voters are asked to remember that this poll is based on the quality of the player in the nominated position. Not whether they are liked or disliked. There is no requirement to comment [unless you want to]. Just vote.

    One notable absentee from here [Nick Holmes] will almost surely be up for a midfield nomination. There will also inevitably be a substitute's bench, and there will also be a backup team consisting of the second placed players.

    Players in position so far, are:

    Greatest Team Goalkeeper - Peter Shilton

    Backup Team Goalkeeper - Antti Niemi

    Now get voting for Saints greatest Left Back.

  2. #2

    Default

    Voted Benali.

    Might not be the most technically gifted defender we have had, hell he used to get sent off like once every 5 games or something! But he was Saints through and through and every tackle he put his all into. Sure a lot of em where fouls but his passion was second to none! For me that is what this club is about!

  3. #3

    Default

    Wasn't Peach the main penalty taker in the 70s?

    Anyway, Bridge still gets my vote. As the team takes shape, I get the feeling we're going to need a few 'modern' footballers to offset the bias towards vintage ones, and this is one of those positions where I think there's genuine competition.

  4. #4

    Default

    No Gareth Bale? Any particular reason?? I was shocked!!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lordswood
    Posts
    10,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlfredKo View Post
    No Gareth Bale? Any particular reason?? I was shocked!!
    God, I wish I hadn't turned this PC back on when I got up to go for a pee. Doesn't anyone read..?

    The following 6 players for Saints best performing LB have been chosen based on the number of nominations they have gathered.

    Which means Gareth Bale didn't get enough nominations... OK..? That doesn't make him a bad LB, but he didn't make it into the top 6. Tbh, I think he's miles better than Franny ever was, but people will nominate who they want, whether other people think they're brilliant or not.

    Apologies, I should get back to bed. Goodnight.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Chandlers Ford
    Posts
    941

    Unhappy

    No Lee Todd?!!?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Under The Toomers
    Posts
    5,058

    Default

    I voted for Steve Mills his life sadly cut short at a young age, he would have been an England full back for a long time IMO of course.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lordswood
    Posts
    10,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Johnson View Post
    No Lee Todd?!!?
    Have a guess..? Or perhaps read the reasons why. :mad:

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St Landrew View Post
    Have a guess..? Or perhaps read the reasons why. :mad:
    Can't be much worse than Denny Hollywood to be honest.
    The list is purely arbitrary.I mean Denny played a goodly number of games
    over a fair old time but he was crap at best and absolutely dire at worst.
    Francis Burns (who replaced him) was 5 times the left back Denny Hollywood was.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beaumont, Jersey
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    I think sentiment is ruling some people's heads

    I watched Steve Mills
    No way was he a better left back than Gareth Bale!

    He's on the list because he died tragically young

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    I think sentiment is ruling some people's heads

    I watched Steve Mills
    No way was he a better left back than Gareth Bale!

    He's on the list because he died tragically young
    Better in the tackle in my opinion, probably faster, didn't need to get forward so much though;
    The whole concept of the role was different at that time so it's difficult to compare them really.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lordswood
    Posts
    10,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Window Cleaner View Post
    Can't be much worse than Denny Hollywood to be honest.
    The list is purely arbitrary.I mean Denny played a goodly number of games
    over a fair old time but he was crap at best and absolutely dire at worst.
    Francis Burns (who replaced him) was 5 times the left back Denny Hollywood was.
    You see..? You haven't read the reasons why the 6 players in the poll are the 6 players chosen, have you..? You prefer to have your say, then totally ignore the fact that it has already been explained that posters on this website nominated these 6 players more than other players. That's why there is a nominations thread. The 5 or 6 players that get most nominations go into the poll thread. Now do you finally get it..?

    That's the last time I explain this. Anybody else who asks why a certain player hasn't been included can stay confused, as far as I'm concerned.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St Landrew View Post
    You see..? You haven't read the reasons why the 6 players in the poll are the 6 players chosen, have you..? You prefer to have your say, then totally ignore the fact that it has already been explained that posters on this website nominated these 6 players more than other players. That's why there is a nominations thread. The 5 or 6 players that get most nominations go into the poll thread. Now do you finally get it..?

    That's the last time I explain this. Anybody else who asks why a certain player hasn't been included can stay confused, as far as I'm concerned.
    No I read it, just thought I'd have a self indulgent comment anyway.
    I didn't ask why, I gave my opinion on the arbitrariness of the list that's all.
    Apologies for that.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    8,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Window Cleaner View Post
    Can't be much worse than Denny Hollywood to be honest.
    The list is purely arbitrary.I mean Denny played a goodly number of games
    over a fair old time but he was crap at best and absolutely dire at worst.
    Francis Burns (who replaced him) was 5 times the left back Denny Hollywood was.
    Well you are obviously not Terry Paine who had Denis in his all time Saints team.


    Denis Hollywood (left back): “Denis would contribute to the fear factor, especially at home.

    “You need that within a team – you need a reputation for being very hard.

    “I liked his tenacity. I liked his will to win.

    “I liked the fact that he hated losing. He could certainly mix it with the best of them.”



    Did you ever see Denis play a good footballer with the determination of Benali.




    But not as good as Mark Dennis
    Last edited by John B; 24-11-2008 at 08:44 PM.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St Landrew View Post
    David Peach [1974 - 1980] 224 appearances [34 goals]


    Mark Dennis [1983 - 1986] 95 appearances [2 goals]
    In the earlier thread I said Mark Dennis shaded it ahead of David Peach.Dennis was certainly one of the best left backs I have seen at Saints for skill and commitment.

    However the above statistics are outstanding for Peach.So its a bit of a u-turn from me to vote for David Peach ahead of 'Phsyco'.

    If Bridge wins this however it will be a travesty and really will show more about the age of voters than a true testimony of the players.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    On the wagon
    Posts
    759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    In the earlier thread I said Mark Dennis shaded it ahead of David Peach.Dennis was certainly one of the best left backs I have seen at Saints for skill and commitment.

    However the above statistics are outstanding for Peach.So its a bit of a u-turn from me to vote for David Peach ahead of 'Phsyco'.

    If Bridge wins this however it will be a travesty and really will show more about the age of voters than a true testimony of the players.
    I take your point Badger but I don't think there is any way around the age division though? We've done 2 "relatively" easy positions but when it comes to the midfield and strikers gawd knows! I've never seen O'Brien or Reeves for example but then plenty on here won't have seen Channon or Davies. I suppose we all have to vote from what we've seen and, to a lesser degree, what we've been told by our parents/granparents.

    I don't necessarily agree with the poll results either but fair play to whoever started the idea as it stops us all moping and think about the greatest times and players we have all seen whether recently or in the past. Rest assured my choices will nearly all come from my most devoted and passionate years in my teens.

    I'm sure there will be a Pahars against Channon debate at some point and us oldies will be in uproar to mention the same two in the same breath but the thread is cheering me up just thinking back to happier days my friend :-)

  17. #17

    Default

    not too much to shout about in that list...we have always had crap full-backs,with the odd exception now and then.
    Bale would have been my choice,but with his absence I`ll go for Bridge.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beaumont, Jersey
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    In the earlier thread I said Mark Dennis shaded it ahead of David Peach.Dennis was certainly one of the best left backs I have seen at Saints for skill and commitment.

    However the above statistics are outstanding for Peach.So its a bit of a u-turn from me to vote for David Peach ahead of 'Phsyco'.

    If Bridge wins this however it will be a travesty and really will show more about the age of voters than a true testimony of the players.
    I voted for Peach too

    However, I think you're being unfair on Bridge

    He was the player who ultimately played at the highest level, and made the most International appearances
    Coupled with the fact he came through our Youth team and is a self-confessed Saints fan, this makes him a fair choice

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    11,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St Landrew View Post

    That's the last time I explain this. Anybody else who asks why a certain player hasn't been included can stay confused, as far as I'm concerned.
    Where's Greame Le Saux ?

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    8,860

    Default

    Reeves scored lots but missed lots too O'Brien excellent in Div 2 but not outstanding


    I agree with Terry Paine - Channon and Davies for the strikers they worked well together.

    Cant see MLT Chivers George Osgood Keegan Boyer MacDougal getting into my team

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Reeves scored lots but missed lots too O'Brien excellent in Div 2 but not outstanding


    I agree with Terry Paine - Channon and Davies for the strikers they worked well together.

    Cant see MLT Chivers George Osgood Keegan Boyer MacDougal getting into my team
    I'm willing to bet with you that the same thing happens to Terry Paine as happened to his career during the 66 World Cup (although I'm sure it'll hurt him a little less). Not that I don't think he was both a great player and a Saints hero.

    But let's save this battle for later - should be interesting....

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    8,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    I'm willing to bet with you that the same thing happens to Terry Paine as happened to his career during the 66 World Cup (although I'm sure it'll hurt him a little less). Not that I don't think he was both a great player and a Saints hero.

    But let's save this battle for later - should be interesting....
    Yes he was replaced by Alan Ball another Saints Player


    I was very lucky to see so many great players in Saints colours

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    gutter
    Posts
    14,044

    Default

    a lot of people seem to be ticking the wrong box.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    11,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    a lot of people seem to be ticking the wrong box.
    Too many under-30's voting for the only one they can remember ! Maybe we over-30's need to get our dads on here to balance things up.

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Shirley
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Us over 60's are seriously under represented!

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    8,594

    Default

    I've voted Benali...not based on football ability obviously...i just love the man...and his moustache...

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lordswood
    Posts
    10,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scudamore View Post
    I've voted Benali...not based on football ability obviously...i just love the man...and his moustache...
    Well could people please start to make their choice on football ability..? This isn't a vote on who is most popular, but the very best quality player. As stated before, if you want a poll on Saints Cult Heroes, then by all means start one.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St Landrew View Post
    Well could people please start to make their choice on football ability..? This isn't a vote on who is most popular, but the very best quality player. As stated before, if you want a poll on Saints Cult Heroes, then by all means start one.
    In that case there should only be 3 names on the ballot paper.
    Steve Mills, Mick Mills,Wayne Bridge. The fact that Benali is even an option
    is an insult to those 3.

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gävle, Sweden
    Posts
    3,537

    Default

    I have to confess I do not know a whole lot about several of the players listed and thus I voted Bridge. I am definately nopt going to vote in the poll for every position I just haven't seen enough players that really stood out in some of the positions but for me Bridge deserves his place for several reasons. Firstly the amount of games he played after each other (didn't he break the record for an outfield player in the PL at some point?). Secondly you also have to look at the caps he won while at Saints, that to me already suggests he was a topquality PL player in an era where the PL was already full of foreign players. Lastly, he played in a brilliant Saints team with a very good defensive record. After he left (and Killer ****ed up his knee) that suddenly went. That tells you something as well.

  30. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badgerx16 View Post
    Too many under-30's voting for the only one they can remember ! Maybe we over-30's need to get our dads on here to balance things up.
    Not necessarily so. I'm old enough to have seen Ron Davies at my first Saints match, and I voted Bridge. It's such a shame he's wasted years in the Chelsea reserves, because he was absolutely superb for us on that unbroken run of appearances.

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    8,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St Landrew View Post
    Well could people please start to make their choice on football ability..? This isn't a vote on who is most popular, but the very best quality player. As stated before, if you want a poll on Saints Cult Heroes, then by all means start one.
    Hmmm...didn't see that it was on football ability...i suggest you put that in the thread title...

    Benali is the "greatest" in my opinion...but for other reasons...and i'm sure that's why others have voted for him also...obviously Bridgey is the superior player (his England caps say it all) doesn't make him the "greater" Saints player though because he has less Saints appearances...and is a bit of an arse...

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,098

    Default

    Wish you hadn't bothered St Landrew??

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lordswood
    Posts
    10,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Window Cleaner View Post
    Wish you hadn't bothered St Landrew??
    I'm beginning to think so. It's not even my baby. Darren Le Tiss asked for it, and I offered to run it. The object was to find the very best players that have ever played for Saints in a team formation. Obviously, this was going to be subjective because it was restricted to players that had been seen by the supporters who would nominate and vote. But one criterium would be fundamental, and that would be the quality of the footballer. Not whether he hailed from Southampton or Timbuktu, or whether he was liked, loved, hated, had nice boots on, played for Saints for years, or played for 6 months, was an idiot, or had a degree in Ballistics. But purely on the quality of his football playing - that is... the most effective player for the position he played or plays in.

    I could name 5 or 6 for each position, without nominations, and you could all vote, but that's not democratic. So we have a nominations thread first. The players with most nominations get into the top 5 or 6 to be voted for in the poll thread. This means some players get left out, and some slip through.

    But do you honestly think a football poll should be considered even remotely valid if in response to the question... who in your opinion is your club's greatest LB, that the answer should be something about their appearance, and because they loved the player..?

    I would have thought the question quite simple to answer, and so might you..? It might indeed throw up several candidates. Hence a poll to decide.

    But please, let's nominate and vote for the right reason from now on, eh..?
    Last edited by St Landrew; 25-11-2008 at 04:16 PM.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    gutter
    Posts
    14,044

    Default

    I appreciate it St L.

    Now, shall we start again with Dennis as the only option.

  35. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I appreciate it St L.

    Now, shall we start again with Dennis as the only option.
    I think his first name is Wayne.

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    11,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch
    Now, shall we start again with Dennis as the only option..
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman
    I think his first name is Wayne.
    Never heard of Wayne Dennis !

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hove Actually
    Posts
    4,043

    Default

    ...Bridge, no question.

    but more importantly who would have been better of being left back in the changing room...

    (that blokey who we paid shed loads for and never played?...what was his name now?)

  38. #38

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andover/Isleworth
    Posts
    8,106

    Default

    Has to be bridgey for me.

  39. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lordswood
    Posts
    10,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1976_Child View Post
    ...Bridge, no question.

    but more importantly who would have been better of being left back in the changing room...

    (that blokey who we paid shed loads for and never played?...what was his name now?)
    Van Damme..?

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Bridgey for me too. Heart said Benali but has to be Bridge really.

  41. #41

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badgerx16 View Post
    Never heard of Wayne Dennis !
    Wayne Thomas of course, not on the list though:smt101

  42. #42

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hove Actually
    Posts
    4,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St Landrew View Post
    Van Damme..?
    Yeah! Well done! Jelle Van Damme. £2.5 million. F@cking useless waste of money.

    Was Lowe involve with that purchase then?

  43. #43

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bandit Country
    Posts
    223

    Default

    i am unable to vote .... but if i could it would be for Mark Dennis

    Bridgey was good , quick and skilful , but Dennis was a rock . I like 'no nonsense' defenders in my team but having said that he could also play a bit ......

  44. #44

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gävle, Sweden
    Posts
    3,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1976_Child View Post
    Yeah! Well done! Jelle Van Damme. £2.5 million. F@cking useless waste of money.

    Was Lowe involve with that purchase then?
    Yes, but he did have the problem that he got injured and when he got back into the team I think HR made him play as a left midfielder a few times. After relegation he left for Anderlecht where he still plays. I'm not sure it was a bad buy in the sense that he was a bad player. He was just injured for more then half of the season and then played out of position. After relegation he became to exspensive or he wanted to stay in a premier league because he wanted to stay in the national team so he left. In the end it was bad business but he wasn't a bad player.

  45. #45

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    5 metres outside the detailed bit on Google Earth
    Posts
    3,765

    Default

    Why are some people complaining that people are voting for Bridge because he's recent?

    Have you noticed there are no candidates before the sixties?

    Does this mean there were no talented left backs in the 70 odd year history of saints before Dennis Hollywood?
    Or is it in fact perfectly correct that more recent players are more likely to get chosen regardless of how good older players were?

  46. #46

    Default

    One of the difficulties in this poll will be reflecting on how well the player played for us , or how good he was at his pomp. Wayne Bridge will undoubtedly have improved since he left, whilst many players joined us in the twilight of their career. I voted for David Peach because of his overall impact on the team.

  47. #47

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lordswood
    Posts
    10,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Martini View Post
    Yes, but he did have the problem that he got injured and when he got back into the team I think HR made him play as a left midfielder a few times. After relegation he left for Anderlecht where he still plays. I'm not sure it was a bad buy in the sense that he was a bad player. He was just injured for more then half of the season and then played out of position. After relegation he became to exspensive or he wanted to stay in a premier league because he wanted to stay in the national team so he left. In the end it was bad business but he wasn't a bad player.
    I watched him a few times at Staplewood while he festered in the reserves. Not a bad player at all, but a bloody frustrated one. He was absolutely hating it, and I've never known a footballer come out with so many expletives within hearing range. Had the circumstances been different, i.e. no relegation, no untimely injury to the player, he could well have become a regular at LB.

  48. #48

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    8,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St Landrew View Post
    I'm beginning to think so. It's not even my baby. Darren Le Tiss asked for it, and I offered to run it. The object was to find the very best players that have ever played for Saints in a team formation. Obviously, this was going to be subjective because it was restricted to players that had been seen by the supporters who would nominate and vote. But one criterium would be fundamental, and that would be the quality of the footballer. Not whether he hailed from Southampton or Timbuktu, or whether he was liked, loved, hated, had nice boots on, played for Saints for years, or played for 6 months, was an idiot, or had a degree in Ballistics. But purely on the quality of his football playing - that is... the most effective player for the position he played or plays in.

    I could name 5 or 6 for each position, without nominations, and you could all vote, but that's not democratic. So we have a nominations thread first. The players with most nominations get into the top 5 or 6 to be voted for in the poll thread. This means some players get left out, and some slip through.

    But do you honestly think a football poll should be considered even remotely valid if in response to the question... who in your opinion is your club's greatest LB, that the answer should be something about their appearance, and because they loved the player..?

    I would have thought the question quite simple to answer, and so might you..? It might indeed throw up several candidates. Hence a poll to decide.

    But please, let's nominate and vote for the right reason from now on, eh..?
    Well why don't you just choose the whole team if you're not going to invite discussion...

    And why bother having Benali on the list if you're gonna have a pop at people for picking him?

    I'm still a little confused by how this is supposed to work. Should i pick Shearer as a striker? He's one of the best strikers England has ever produced. So surely it's a must? But then he had his best moments after he left us. So on that basis i shouldn't...

  49. #49

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    2,329

    Default

    I take it this poll is not based on footballing ability seeing as Benali has so many votes?

  50. #50

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gävle, Sweden
    Posts
    3,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scudamore View Post
    Well why don't you just choose the whole team if you're not going to invite discussion...

    And why bother having Benali on the list if you're gonna have a pop at people for picking him?

    I'm still a little confused by how this is supposed to work. Should i pick Shearer as a striker? He's one of the best strikers England has ever produced. So surely it's a must? But then he had his best moments after he left us. So on that basis i shouldn't...
    But was he already that good when he played for Saints? He had the potential but he wasn't the top-class England striker yet. For me Bridge, although he has improved a bit, was already topclass when he was at Saints. In fact, the only year that I think he was really preforming better then when he was at Saints was his first season at Chelsea. I don't think he's been that good since (mainly due to him not playing a lot and having a few injuries).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •