125 members have voted

1. 1. Who Was Saints Greatest Left Back

• Wayne Bridge
    • David Peach
    • Francis Benali
    • Steve Mills
    • Mark Dennis
    • Denis Hollywood

Well why don't you just choose the whole team if you're not going to invite discussion...

And why bother having Benali on the list if you're gonna have a pop at people for picking him?

I'm still a little confused by how this is supposed to work. Should i pick Shearer as a striker? He's one of the best strikers England has ever produced. So surely it's a must? But then he had his best moments after he left us. So on that basis i shouldn't...

I appreciate what you say, but it has been made clear from the start that the poll is based on the BEST player, not the CULT hero. Look back to the top of the thread, and you'll see I have made things very clear. This criterium goes for the nominations too.

Having said that, if I tampered with the nominations so that Francis Benali didn't appear in the final 6, people would cry FIX, because he clearly had several nominations. It's not for me to tamper, but merely to act as the guide, and set the rules.

The point you make about Alan Shearer is a good and valid one. By all means nominate Shearer. There may be older fans nominating Peter Osgood, for example, who was absolutely superb for Chelsea, but was perhaps a shade past his best for Saints. Or Kevin Keegan even..? Or Phil Boyer and Ted MacDougall. Outstanding players that may not even get a mention, let alone get into the top 6. Would their inclusion make for the strongest team, or would they be the weak link..? It's all about ability and effectiveness.

And btw, don't worry too much if your nominated player doesn't get into the final 5 or 6. Players like Mick Mills, and especially Nick Holmes and MLT for example, have played in more than one position well, so they may get into a top 6 more than once. However, if they are selected for the A team, then they will no longer be eligible for further nomination.

From now on I will make this clear with every new thread on this topic.

But was he already that good when he played for Saints? He had the potential but he wasn't the top-class England striker yet. For me Bridge, although he has improved a bit, was already topclass when he was at Saints. In fact, the only year that I think he was really preforming better then when he was at Saints was his first season at Chelsea. I don't think he's been that good since (mainly due to him not playing a lot and having a few injuries).

Yeah i agree. And Chelsea's use of Bridge is pretty criminal if you ask me...almost as criminal as his lack of ambition to not move away and just sit there and draw his massive wages...

Oh and Landrew i hear what you're saying...and will bear it in mind for the next ones...

But still don't think Benali should be on this list if you don't want people to go for the emotional vote...

Francis Benali? That's a joke, right?

Bridge was excellent, and my pick. Benali was probably the worst professional footballer I've ever seen. And I used to mark him out of the game at school when he was a (pretty decent) striker (and had a 'tache at about 13 years old...)

Yeah i agree. And Chelsea's use of Bridge is pretty criminal if you ask me...almost as criminal as his lack of ambition to not move away and just sit there and draw his massive wages...

Considering the best offer he had was the Skates, I'm delighted he stayed there.

He'll be off to Man Citeh in Jan anyway.

Francis Benali? That's a joke, right?

Bridge was excellent, and my pick. Benali was probably the worst professional footballer I've ever seen. And I used to mark him out of the game at school when he was a (pretty decent) striker (and had a 'tache at about 13 years old...)

Yes I agree with your sentiment but he was not that bad

By the way it is difficult to pass judgement if you did not see any of the others

For me it was Dennis or Bridge but Mark got my vote probably because he was playing in a better team

Yes I agree with your sentiment but he was not that bad

By the way it is difficult to pass judgement if you did not see any of the others

For me it was Dennis or Bridge but Mark got my vote probably because he was playing in a better team

I saw all the others play except Hollywood (although Peach was a very early recollection, admittedly. Fantastic penalty taker, as I recall.

Ho hum.

Can't remember - was Golac on the right?

I'm too late to poll, but I remember David Peach who is an under-rated player imo. His 34 goals in 224 appearances included the great FA cup run, too.

So whatever happened to him?

For me he is a true legend.

How about a poll for only those who watched Saints pre Wayne Bridge, for a more reflective judgement?

I'm too late to poll, but I remember David Peach who is an under-rated player imo. His 34 goals in 224 appearances included the great FA cup run, too.

So whatever happened to him?

For me he is a true legend.

How about a poll for only those who watched Saints pre Wayne Bridge, for a more reflective judgement?

Given this limited choice, i would have voted for David Peach if i had been given a chance - by the time i opened this up the voting had closed!

So this has now become a poll for the 60+ only has it? I'll let my dad know...

Well if you never saw Terry Paine it would be difficult for you to realise he was probably Saints best player of all time.

Helping us to Division 1 in 1966 his crossing was good or better than Beckham

Well if you never saw Terry Paine it would be difficult for you to realise he was probably Saints best player of all time.

Helping us to Division 1 in 1966 his crossing was good or better than Beckham

Easily better than Beckham's crosses. Just a shade better than Le Tiss too. ;)

Thanks to the posters that voted. Wayne Bridge has been voted the best Saints LB. He'll now go into the A team, with Mark Dennis making the B team.