Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 117

Thread: New party leaders

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Derby, Liverpool
    Posts
    14,279
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default New party leaders

    The General Election has come to an end, the Tories are in and despite the hope of Farage disappearing into the political sunset, he's still around. He had to be, really.

    Still, we've two political parties without a permanent leader. Labour is obviously the more interesting contest; many candidates are starting to throw their hats into the ring. The Lib Dem contest is going to be amusing because they've got such a tiny Parliamentary party, and Clegg has got to be excluded from consideration.

    Who do we want/think they should be?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    17,613

    Default

    There's some sort of fraud enquiry going on in Thanet where Farage lost

    Norman Lamb and Tim Fallon declared for the Lib Dems

    Liz Kendall, Chuka Umunna and now Andy Burnham for Labour

    Tim Fallon and Chuka Umunna are very articulate and unflappable. Andy Burnham is a good operator. Don't really have a view on Liz Kendall.

    But whoever is selected has to be able to stand up to Cameron's inability to answer questions (a trait inherited by Priti Patel today)

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Auld Reekie
    Posts
    9,787

    Default

    Umunna will get it for Labour - they'll try to get somebody vaguely electable and ministerial in now after Miliband. Personally i'd prefer to see Burnham as their leader but I don't think he's cut out for the world stage. Don't really know much about the Lib Dem candidates but Tim Farron will probably get it because he seems keen to rebuild and remodel which is needed now after the coalition.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    George Sander's sweet cesspool
    Posts
    5,943

    Default

    I really don't know all that much about him as yet, but Chuka Umunna is certainly articulate, good on TV and there is I think something of the young Tony Blair about him.

    A rising star in the Labour Party for sure - maybe even the UK's first black PM one day?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    17,613

    Default

    Sadly it will be a beauty contest because that's the way things are these days

  6. #6

    Default

    Not sure who I'll vote for in the Labour leadership race to be honest.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    24,922

    Default

    isnt it who ever UNITE wants to be Labour leader?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    17,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    isnt it who ever UNITE wants to be Labour leader?

    Do keep up sweetie

    The rules have changed


  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridge too far View Post
    Do keep up sweetie

    The rules have changed

    So that means Andy Burnham will not win then?

    I would persuade Dan Jarvis to stand. He seems to have a lot to offer.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    17,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sergei Gotsmanov View Post
    So that means Andy Burnham will not win then?

    I would persuade Dan Jarvis to stand. He seems to have a lot to offer.
    He's chosen not to for family reasons

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    24,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridge too far View Post
    Do keep up sweetie

    The rules have changed

    They need to get this right.
    the last bloke was a moron

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridge too far View Post
    He's chosen not to for family reasons
    I know but he comes across well and principled, is not a career politician and has served his country. He feels right and somebody should be speaking to him. Andy Burnham is too much of a Union man and has the baggage of Stafford. Chuka comes across as too metropolitan (hardly going to win Scotland back) and a career politician with an eye for himself. Yvette Cooper has probably lost her appetite for politics. Liz Kendall I have no idea. Could be a surprise.

  13. #13

    Default

    Tories will want Burnham - more of the same core vote dross, with Labour candidates remaining human kryptonite anywhere within 100 miles of the M25.

    Chuka 'gets it' and can appeal to the centre. Not quite sure whether they'll lap him up in the working mens clubs of Rotherham though. Very tough for Labour if they are going to even bother appealing to Scotland again as any move to fight back will alienate the marginals. Compounded by boundary changes. Hard to see them winning in 2020 without an ERM type balls up.

    Lib Dems completely irrelevant for a generation now. Look set to become nothing more than a pressure group for Enid Blyton socialists.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    17,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    They need to get this right.
    the last bloke was a moron
    You may not have liked him or wanted him to win the election but, really - a moron?

    I suggest you read his Wiki entry and then tell me where he's a moron.

    A typical response from someone who doesn't ever read facts and bases his opinions on the 'popular' view in the right wing press

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    24,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridge too far View Post
    You may not have liked him or wanted him to win the election but, really - a moron?

    I suggest you read his Wiki entry and then tell me where he's a moron.

    A typical response from someone who doesn't ever read facts and bases his opinions on the 'popular' view in the right wing press
    why does my opinion on him have to be from the 'right wing press'
    I watched it all myself. He came across like an idiot. Throughout the whole election (and way before) he was miles behind Cameron on in polls between the two of them. the Result as a whole reflected that to a degree.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North of enemy lines
    Posts
    3,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridge too far View Post

    But whoever is selected has to be able to stand up to Cameron's inability to answer questions (a trait inherited by Priti Patel today)
    The last time I saw a British PM answer a question was well over 20 years ago.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    17,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    why does my opinion on him have to be from the 'right wing press'
    I watched it all myself. He came across like an idiot. Throughout the whole election (and way before) he was miles behind Cameron on in polls between the two of them. the Result as a whole reflected that to a degree.
    But he's most definitely NOT a moron.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    24,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridge too far View Post
    But he's most definitely NOT a moron.
    IMO, he was (in potential Prime Minister sense)

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    17,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    IMO, he was (in potential Prime Minister sense)
    Moron is a term that isn't used these days. In the past, it meant a very low IQ (around 50) when the average IQ is 100.

    Here is the academic history of a 'moron' for you.

    "In 1989, Miliband gained four A Levels – in Mathematics (A), English (A), Further Mathematics (B) and Physics (B) – and entered the University of Oxford where he read Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Corpus Christi College. In his first year, he was elected JCR President, leading a student campaign against a rise in rent charges. In his second year he dropped philosophy, and was awarded an upper second class Bachelor of Arts degree. He went on to graduate from the London School of Economics with a Master of Science in Economics.[12]"

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    24,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridge too far View Post
    Moron is a term that isn't used these days. In the past, it meant a very low IQ (around 50) when the average IQ is 100.

    Here is the academic history of a 'moron' for you.

    "In 1989, Miliband gained four A Levels – in Mathematics (A), English (A), Further Mathematics (B) and Physics (B) – and entered the University of Oxford where he read Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Corpus Christi College. In his first year, he was elected JCR President, leading a student campaign against a rise in rent charges. In his second year he dropped philosophy, and was awarded an upper second class Bachelor of Arts degree. He went on to graduate from the London School of Economics with a Master of Science in Economics.[12]"
    thanks for that

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    17,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    thanks for that
    That's OK - not everyone can be a burger flipper

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    24,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridge too far View Post
    That's OK - not everyone can be a burger flipper
    I did not realise we had to qualify our opinions with the text book definitions. this is a football forum, nothing serious

    Just looked, another definition of a 'moron' is a person who lacks judgement. seeing as we are being pedantic about it all. I think he was very much that person

    what does the burger flipper remark mean?

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    17,613

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    24,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridge too far View Post
    ok. not sure what this has to do with a casual remark about the ex labour leader on a football forum.

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    12,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridge too far View Post
    Moron is a term that isn't used these days. In the past, it meant a very low IQ (around 50) when the average IQ is 100.

    Here is the academic history of a 'moron' for you.

    "In 1989, Miliband gained four A Levels – in Mathematics (A), English (A), Further Mathematics (B) and Physics (B) – and entered the University of Oxford where he read Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Corpus Christi College. In his first year, he was elected JCR President, leading a student campaign against a rise in rent charges. In his second year he dropped philosophy, and was awarded an upper second class Bachelor of Arts degree. He went on to graduate from the London School of Economics with a Master of Science in Economics.[12]"
    A clever guy but still an awful choice as a candidate for PM.

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    17,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    A clever guy but still an awful choice as a candidate for PM.
    But no way is he a moron! Batman doesnt quite understand that.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    24,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridge too far View Post
    But no way is he a moron! Batman doesnt quite understand that.
    does it matter. It was a casual remark on a football forum.
    I think he was an idiot, goon, all fingers and thumbs, poor, Toff. In respects to what I want a PM to be.

    I do not care what the ACTUAL definitions of those terms are.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Somewhere hot
    Posts
    825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    does it matter. It was a casual remark on a football forum.
    I think he was an idiot, goon, all fingers and thumbs, poor, Toff. In respects to what I want a PM to be.

    I do not care what the ACTUAL definitions of those terms are.
    So when you use language you don't care what that language means? Weird.

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    24,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCholulaKid View Post
    So when you use language you don't care what that language means? Weird.
    it was an expression. Like saying x person is a dik.
    I think arry redknapp is a dik....I am aware that he is a human and not a walking, enlarged penis
    Last edited by Batman; 13-05-2015 at 07:47 PM.

  30. #30

    Default

    Batman getting mullered here.

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    12,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sfc1976 View Post
    Tories will want Burnham - more of the same core vote dross, with Labour candidates remaining human kryptonite anywhere within 100 miles of the M25.

    Chuka 'gets it' and can appeal to the centre. Not quite sure whether they'll lap him up in the working mens clubs of Rotherham though. Very tough for Labour if they are going to even bother appealing to Scotland again as any move to fight back will alienate the marginals. Compounded by boundary changes. Hard to see them winning in 2020 without an ERM type balls up.

    Lib Dems completely irrelevant for a generation now. Look set to become nothing more than a pressure group for Enid Blyton socialists.
    I dunno, the Tories have a tiny majority and still have to make their £12billion cuts, the economy is in a very fragile position and could go either way and 5 years of Tory austerity will prove how pointless voting SNP is.

    If Labour sort their sh!t out and get back to the middle ground they could easily get back in under the right conditions. It all depends on how the economy gets on and most of that is out of the government's control anyway.

  32. #32

    Default

    Yvette is in the running. Not sure she'd win but I like her.

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Stalking Theo's Missus
    Posts
    12,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCholulaKid View Post
    So when you use language you don't care what that language means? Weird.
    sums up our dell days.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Free hugs for all
    Posts
    5,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCholulaKid View Post
    So when you use language you don't care what that language means? Weird.
    This the same person that thinks it's too much to ask to read the post he's replying to.

    Blah blah, it's a football forum. Which he why he spends so much time talking about non football related stuff.

  35. #35

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Derby, Liverpool
    Posts
    14,279
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    it was an expression. Like saying x person is a dik.
    I think arry redknapp is a dik....I am aware that he is a human and not a walking, enlarged penis
    I don't think you're on solid ground with the Redknapp example. See, the term "díck" doesn't really have to mean "walking, enlarged penis". Actually, I'm not sure it means that either, but leaving that aside for a mo, it means different things. It can mean an unpleasant or an especially self-absorbed person, and 'Arry certainly fits the bill on one of those charges, at least.

    I'd actually disagree with btf's narrow definition. I think you've got to include wilful morons in that. Even so, I don't think Ed Miliband fits any definition of the term.

    Keep trucking tho', sir. I need a wee bit more material for the next thrilling encounter of SaintsWeb Batman.
    Last edited by pap; 13-05-2015 at 09:57 PM.

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Derby, Liverpool
    Posts
    14,279
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    On topic, I quite like Burnham. Bit of a Northern tinge to the accent, which I actually think will be a benefit, slight blemish on the record, but came across very well during the Hillsborough revelations.

    Chuka is very articulate, but is a bit of a posh boy, and like Yvette Cooper, can also come across as something of a political robot. If the latter can come across with a wee bit more humanity, and engage the female vote, Labour could have a decent shout.

    Burnham has got an everyman quality about him that I like, and I think would do well in debates at PMQs.

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    10,348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pap View Post
    On topic, I quite like Burnham. Bit of a Northern tinge to the accent....
    He's my daughter's MP, well liked in his constituency.

  38. #38

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Derby, Liverpool
    Posts
    14,279
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badgerx16 View Post
    He's my daughter's MP, well liked in his constituency.
    I know Leigh well. I lived there for a year myself, and the missus has in-laws that live up that way. Love the people, but the town is a bit crap. You need a car (no train station), but the roads are crap. Lovely.

    Burnham has grown on me. Think the first time I saw him he was overly made up on QT. Not a great look.
    Last edited by pap; 13-05-2015 at 11:01 PM.

  39. #39

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild HQ
    Posts
    16,029
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Dan Jarvis would have scared the living daylights out of the Tories. The other candidates are even less promising than 2010's pretty mediocre vintage.

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Free hugs for all
    Posts
    5,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pap View Post
    On topic, I quite like Burnham. Bit of a Northern tinge to the accent, which I actually think will be a benefit, slight blemish on the record, but came across very well during the Hillsborough revelations.

    Chuka is very articulate, but is a bit of a posh boy, and like Yvette Cooper, can also come across as something of a political robot. If the latter can come across with a wee bit more humanity, and engage the female vote, Labour could have a decent shout.

    Burnham has got an everyman quality about him that I like, and I think would do well in debates at PMQs.
    Agree about Chuka being a bit of an over polished, slightly posh robot. That said, it worked for Blair and Cameron?

    Interesting to see the, actually really nice, right wingers are already sharpening their knives. Apparently, he is too old to have a girlfriend? This, is supposedly an issue?

    http://conservativewoman.co.uk/laura...-a-girlfriend/

  41. Default

    Burnham for me , my preference would be Abbott but unfortunately it doesn't look like she will be standing .

    As for the lib/dumbs , Jeremy Browne was head and shoulders above any of them and yet Cleggy binned him and he stood down . We will never know but I reckon he'd have kept his seat, although the sandal wearers would never tolerate him as leader as he's far too sensible . I was half expecting him to turn up on the Tory benches , but I guess guys with his talent can make more money with less hassle out of politics . A bigger loss that Hic Kennedy , Hughes , Jailbird Huhme , cable & that Green loon Davey all added together .

    How the **** Bennett is still in her job is beyond me. How do they choose their leader, do they have a lentil bake off , or dance off at Stonehenge on the longest day . What sort of selection process came up with that half bake?

    As for ukip , Nigel should be packed off to the lords ( it's quite disgraceful how underrepresented this major party is in the upper house ) & Paul Nuttall or Suzanne Evans placed in charge .
    Last edited by Lord Duckhunter; 14-05-2015 at 02:31 AM.

  42. #42

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Derby, Liverpool
    Posts
    14,279
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Tim Farron has got to be the guy for the Liberal Democrats. Voted against tuition fees, and made a Tory safe seat into a Lib Dem base of operations.

    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...eral-democrats
    Last edited by pap; 14-05-2015 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Added link.

  43. #43

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    11,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Dan Jarvis would have scared the living daylights out of the Tories. The other candidates are even less promising than 2010's pretty mediocre vintage.
    What a remarkable generalisation based on nothing more than your opinion; unless of course you can point us towards some published opinion to that effect quoting somebody in the senior Tory hierarchy. What are these attributes that Jarvis posseses that would "scare the living daylights" out of the Tories?

  44. #44

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bilderberg
    Posts
    5,914

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Dan Jarvis would have scared the living daylights out of the Tories. The other candidates are even less promising than 2010's pretty mediocre vintage.
    As long as Labour don't elect anyone with the hubris of Kinnock they should be fine with some of the other candidates as well. I think it's too early to make a reliable judgement on leadership just yet - some will grow into the role during the campaign and others will wilt. The opportunity is there though, as this is shaping up to be the most divisive government since the poll tax Tories of 87.

  45. #45

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Derby, Liverpool
    Posts
    14,279
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridge too far View Post
    But no way is he a moron! Batman doesnt quite understand that.
    Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    Batman getting mullered here.
    Please don't knock him. The man is a source of inspiration.


  46. #46

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild HQ
    Posts
    16,029
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Tender View Post
    What a remarkable generalisation based on nothing more than your opinion; unless of course you can point us towards some published opinion to that effect quoting somebody in the senior Tory hierarchy. What are these attributes that Jarvis posseses that would "scare the living daylights" out of the Tories?
    The show me cast-iron proof evidence fallacy. As if anything falling short of that becomes specious generalisation. Les, the last time you challenged me and you spent the next week wiping egg off your face.

    No its based on what I've heard, seen and read. Indeed, Kuenssberg reported something to a similar effect last week on Newsnight. As to his attributes in taking on the tories, there's a pretty good piece on him in the Spectator from 2012 http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/...s-dan-the-man/ -and since then his stock has continued to climb. Otherwise there's the swivel-eyed court of public opinion aka the Daily Mail comment section that you're no doubt at home in.

  47. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Tender View Post
    What a remarkable generalisation based on nothing more than your opinion; unless of course you can point us towards some published opinion to that effect quoting somebody in the senior Tory hierarchy. What are these attributes that Jarvis posseses that would "scare the living daylights" out of the Tories?
    Pretty obviously it is Shurlock giving his opinion.

  48. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pap View Post
    Please don't knock him. The man is a source of inspiration.

    Stick to this kind of thing Pap, it's very funny

  49. #49

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pap View Post
    Please don't knock him. The man is a source of inspiration.

    Hahaha. Funny!

  50. #50

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Derby, Liverpool
    Posts
    14,279
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable Jeff View Post
    Stick to this kind of thing Pap, it's very funny
    Ah, so "hostility" is alright if it's not the "pardners" under attack, eh?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •