Premier League footballer tests positive for cocaine

Saint-Armstrong

Addictions are hard to overcome. I'm addicted to football and desperately wish I wasn't as money has made the game thoroughly sick, but I just can't walk away from it. I don't know much about cocaine though, whether it is addictive or just a drug of choice. But with a lucrative career in football depending on being drug-free the stupidity of players who do this is really amazing.

The Secret Footballer alluded to the fact that this sort of thing happened much more frequently than was reported. Often shielded by the media with bans going on 'behind closed doors' masked as an injury. The Premier League more than happy to comply in order to protect their brand. I think he made the statement that next time a player is missing for length of time with a suspicious injury, you'd have to ask the question...

Based on this, I'm guessing Delgado was a skag addict of Trainspotting proportions.

The Secret Footballer alluded to the fact that this sort of thing happened much more frequently than was reported. Often shielded by the media with bans going on 'behind closed doors' masked as an injury. The Premier League more than happy to comply in order to protect their brand. I think he made the statement that next time a player is missing for length of time with a suspicious injury, you'd have to ask the question...

Based on this, I'm guessing Delgado was a skag addict of Trainspotting proportions.

Not looking great for Jay Rod either. Is it just me or was he mumbling and slurring a bit in his interview?

The Secret Footballer alluded to the fact that this sort of thing happened much more frequently than was reported. Often shielded by the media with bans going on 'behind closed doors' masked as an injury. The Premier League more than happy to comply in order to protect their brand. I think he made the statement that next time a player is missing for length of time with a suspicious injury, you'd have to ask the question....

My sister worked in drug testing for a while and dealt with footballers. What you say is very much true.

Heard similar from someone that is a bit of a 'gossip journalist'. Not so much the bans, but that players going out and doing coke is fairly widespread.

Out Saturday after the game, Sunday off, call in sick Monday. Supposedly it's out of your system by the Tuesday. I'm not up to speed enough of the testing or how it works to know if that is right, but just what I was told.

I'm sure most have heard the rumours of a couple of Prem players that have had lengthy lay offs which some have suggested were actually drugs bans. Not keen on naming names, as I have no idea if such accusations have any substance whatsoever. Not sure I believe them entirely, but stranger things have happened I guess.

Drug testing in football is such a joke there is no need for anybody to get caught.

Swimming and athletics have far more stringent testing and competitors can be tested anytime, anywhere. The drug testers can turn up at their houses at three in the morning. You don't have to let them in but miss three tests and you are considered guilty as Christine Ohuruogu found out to her cost.

Football has no such out-of-competition testing. The testers have to present the Premier League with a list at the start of the season of the clubs they will be visiting and the dates they will be calling. And testers are only allowed to test those present at the training gound on the day (the true reason behind Rio Ferdinand's missed test and subsequent ban is pretty hilarious and farcical).

So if your star striker is a coke hound, you simply make sure he is not there that day to take part in the pre-training session raffle where the names of those present are selected at random.

Yes there is random post-match testing but as somebody previously pointed out, coke goes through your system in 36 hours so all he has to do is lay off it for two days before a game.

Football has got these concessions from WADA and Sport England (who do the testing in this country) as the testers know it's the limit of cooperation they are going to get from a sport which is fully aware that its players are the template for recreational drug use - young men with plenty of relaxation time on their hands and a fair amount of disposable income - and which does have reputation to protect.

The most surprising thing to me is not when somebody does get caught, but the fact that anybody gets caught from a system that is clearly designed to ensure what must be huge numbers of recreational users do not get netted.

Quite often, the players who do get caught are those the club want to hang out to dry. I'm not saying this is the case with Livermore but it can give a club a good excuse to roll out the Gross Misconduct and breach of contract reason for sacking him.

Heard similar from someone that is a bit of a 'gossip journalist'. Not so much the bans, but that players going out and doing coke is fairly widespread.

Out Saturday after the game, Sunday off, call in sick Monday. Supposedly it's out of your system by the Tuesday. I'm not up to speed enough of the testing or how it works to know if that is right, but just what I was told.

I'm sure most have heard the rumours of a couple of Prem players that have had lengthy lay offs which some have suggested were actually drugs bans. Not keen on naming names, as I have no idea if such accusations have any substance whatsoever. Not sure I believe them entirely, but stranger things have happened I guess.

I can see exactly where you are coming from :D

• 2 months later...
Update in tomorrow's nationals...

Livermore was struggling with depression due to the death of his baby. After that news, he then went on a huge bender, which saw him snorting cocaine.

How is this news when it was known months ago? Jermaine Jenas was even on MotD the day after basically being understanding and saying it wasn't as clear cut as it seemed and it went all over the place after that.

How is this news when it was known months ago? Jermaine Jenas was even on MotD the day after basically being understanding and saying it wasn't as clear cut as it seemed and it went all over the place after that.

It was known months ago? I hadn't seen it anywhere until tonight. The Chief Sports Writer of the Daily Mail published it tonight for the first time, for what I can see.

It was known months ago? I hadn't seen it anywhere until tonight. The Chief Sports Writer of the Daily Mail published it tonight for the first time, for what I can see.

Ah, maybe it was planted there in a drunken conversation in Salzburg and I'm meant to have forgotten it...

Is cocaine performance enhancing? Surely, unless it's taken with the pre-match meal or a quick snort at half time, if anything it would have the opposite effect. In which case what's the problem? I'm not condoning dug taking but if it doesn't artificially improve your performance then why, apart from "image" reasons, should football authorities concern themselves with it? Employers, i.e the clubs, on the other hand should be coming down on it like a ton of bricks.

At the time a lot people mentioned that he had some serious personal issues going on but I didn't hear anyone talk the specifics. This is the first I've heard about his child etc. Poor guy.

Drug testing in football is such a joke there is no need for anybody to get caught.

Swimming and athletics have far more stringent testing and competitors can be tested anytime, anywhere. The drug testers can turn up at their houses at three in the morning. You don't have to let them in but miss three tests and you are considered guilty as Christine Ohuruogu found out to her cost.

Football has no such out-of-competition testing. The testers have to present the Premier League with a list at the start of the season of the clubs they will be visiting and the dates they will be calling. And testers are only allowed to test those present at the training gound on the day (the true reason behind Rio Ferdinand's missed test and subsequent ban is pretty hilarious and farcical).

So if your star striker is a coke hound, you simply make sure he is not there that day to take part in the pre-training session raffle where the names of those present are selected at random.

Yes there is random post-match testing but as somebody previously pointed out, coke goes through your system in 36 hours so all he has to do is lay off it for two days before a game.

Football has got these concessions from WADA and Sport England (who do the testing in this country) as the testers know it's the limit of cooperation they are going to get from a sport which is fully aware that its players are the template for recreational drug use - young men with plenty of relaxation time on their hands and a fair amount of disposable income - and which does have reputation to protect.

The most surprising thing to me is not when somebody does get caught, but the fact that anybody gets caught from a system that is clearly designed to ensure what must be huge numbers of recreational users do not get netted.

Quite often, the players who do get caught are those the club want to hang out to dry. I'm not saying this is the case with Livermore but it can give a club a good excuse to roll out the Gross Misconduct and breach of contract reason for sacking him.

Shame we couldn't have planted some on Mr Osvaldo then!

Is cocaine performance enhancing? Surely, unless it's taken with the pre-match meal or a quick snort at half time, if anything it would have the opposite effect. In which case what's the problem? I'm not condoning dug taking but if it doesn't artificially improve your performance then why, apart from "image" reasons, should football authorities concern themselves with it? Employers, i.e the clubs, on the other hand should be coming down on it like a ton of bricks.

It's more to do with the politics of the Premier League being seen to be accommodating of the international regulations on banned substances, whether they happen to be performance-enhancing or not.