Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 6-1 Aston Villa

Saint-Armstrong

MotM vs Aston Villa (Home 2014/15)  

436 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Aston Villa (Home 2014/15)

• Gazzaniga
    • Bertrand
    • Clyne
    • Alderweireld
    • Fonte
    • Wanyama
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Davis
    • Mané
    • Long
    • Pellè
    • Yoshida
    • Djuricic
    • Elia

Been home about an hour and just about caught my breath, I did not expect that sort of performance but from the moment Mane scored the first Villa were ripped to shreds in the first half. Second half we sat back a little bit pleased that Pelle got on the score sheet shame Long did not complete his hat trick.

Great performance today and seemed like the players found their focus. For the first time in a few matches we really pressed high up the pitch and that was the difference. I thought pelle, mane and long were immense today. But on another note how poor a footballer is tom cleverly, how he managed to england caps staggers me.

Well, Villa completely played into our hands with a high and slow back line. We took some risks committing men forwards and it meant Villa did get through our midfield at times but it always looked like we were going to score a hatfull.

We were a bit half-arsed in the second half but that's not surprising.

Ron Vlaar is out of contract this summer. No thanks!

Gazza - 7 - solid. Has definitely got all the attributes and looked more confident to leave his line. If he can keep the howlers out if his game he can be a decent GKer.

Clyne - 8 - looked much better today. Good offensively.

Font - 7 - solid as ever.

Toby - 7 - as above.

Bertie - 7 - not as prominent as Clyne in attack but usual high standard.

Big Vic - 6 - him and Davis both struggled a bit, just due to the way the match was set up tactically. Still made his fair share of interceptions and challenges.

Davis - 6 - as above.

JWP - 7 - embraced the attacking responsibility and helped us add numbers to attacks. Some good deliveries.

Long - 10 - quality. Great play for Mane's third and what a second goal.

Pelle - 9 - unlucky to only have one goal. Ran their centre backs hard all match.

Mane - 10 - MotM - what a player he can be. Frankly, he took the **** at times. Worth double what we paid for him already and if he carries on next season we'll struggle to keep him. Class.

Pretty much agree with this except the Davis and JWP scores. I thought Davis did very well today. Was outstanding in the first half. Made a quality sliding tackle at a crucial time on grelash or whatever hos name is. He made some great passes that got us on our way. Was one of our better players.

JWP didn't do much in play. Did the usual headless chicken impression. Couple of decent corners but in play was easily passed by their players. Goes to show it's a game of opinions.

Because it was on BT. They can't show any highlights.

Because it was on BT Sport so it won't be on Sky at all.

What, that sucks. got beers on the way home from a day out especially.

Will just have to drink them regardless!

Pretty much agree with this except the Davis and JWP scores. I thought Davis did very well today. Was outstanding in the first half. Made a quality sliding tackle at a crucial time on grelash or whatever hos name is. He made some great passes that got us on our way. Was one of our better players.

JWP didn't do much in play. Did the usual headless chicken impression. Couple of decent corners but in play was easily passed by their players. Goes to show it's a game of opinions.

And I thought wanyama had a great game I cant see how any player can be given a 6 after that result

Mane didn't "fall over" once today. Long had his best game for us. The two of the were all over the pitch and did their fare share of defeending

Great day - just a shame that that's been lacking from too many recent games

Shane Long was brilliant today, his 2nd goal was stunning and his overall contribution immense !

I know that Mane will get most of the plaudits but for me Long just edged the MoM award !!

Agreed, Long's two goals (the second was superb) and two assists, and his work in defence as well, he was deffo MOTM for me, and that's nothing against Sadio who was virtually unplayable.

Wasn't expecting a game like that at all. Why were Villa pressing so high up the pitch? Sherwood is clearly a tactical genius. There was acres of space behind the Villa back line that Mane and Long could run into. Second half we just sat back and let Villa play in front of us.

Mane and Long were fantastic. Pelle had a good game as well. Back to how it was in the Autumn.

This game is an example of why pace in the final third is important for any team. Villa played into our hands though, why on earth they decided to play a high line with defenders slower than me is beyond me. It was damage limitation from the off for them, and they failed quite miserably in that.

To be honest, I lost count of the amount of times we got in behind them through balls over the top, or round the corners. They made Pelle look like Usain Bolt and that's saying something!

For me, Mane will be a world superstar. He has everything in his locker. He's got a bit of arrogance, a bit of bite, he's fast as hell and very technical. His finishing by the way is so good....that third goal was a wonderful strike.

Also, Long - take a bow. Best game I've seen him have for us, not just his goals, but he moved Villa all over the place all game. They could not handle his pace or movement, and that second goal is a thing of beauty. Pelle was very, very good as well - unlucky not to have had more goals, but that 6th was the cherry on the top for me - what a flaming goal. If Arsenal had scored that, they'd be creaming over it. One touch, one touch, one touch, goal. Wonderful.

The front 3 of Pelle, Long and Mane were electric. They pulled them all over the place all afternoon long and it was a pleasure to see. The perfect way to end a season, couldn't have asked for any more. So now, in every single aspect, this season has been better than last. Better points, better GD, more goals scored and less goals conceded. Let's just make sure we finish the job and finish in a higher position than last. We're making a mockery of this meltdown malarkey. Let's hope for another this summer, eh?

This game proves yet again possession stats are meaningless, Villa dominated possession yet we ran out 6-1 winners.

Have to say we've been due a result for a while, just a little disappointing it can't have happened a little earlier so we could've pushed on for 5th place.

Great game, amazing team effort. Attacking was very direct and dangerous, I said before game that if our attackers ran at them we would do well. Mane is a quality player. Very happy for Long he's deserved that with the effort he puts in every game.

Hopefully Swansea won't beat City and with a little luck Everton could beat Spurs next week and we could tie City and secure 6th place.

Amazing season and can't wait for next year!

Brilliant performance and result!

Ive vey been saying all season if we can go a goal or 2 up, we relax and become a different team. Villa completely ballsed it up today by playing such a high line, and Mane, Long and Pelle were all over them. It actually reminded me a bit of last season having a front 3 all playing with such a good understanding. They were superb.

It reminded me of the Sunderland game in that it wasn't the greatest saints performance I've ever seen, but it didn't need to be. We were clinical and could smell the blood. It's nice to be reminded that we have that in us, and great to see those players get their goals!

Mane was unplayable today, especially first half. He looked focused and composed and instantly looked twice the player he has looked in some other games he has struggled to get into.

Long was fantastic also, and that second goal was a thing of beauty. A chip of sorts that was still accelerating as it beat the keeper.

And Pelle was superb all game, and had a foot like a traction engine for that last goal. ;)

Still not convinced on Gazza at all, I don't think he passed the ball out once. Defense looked pretty solid. Midfield did okay, and I actually though Ward-Prowse had a good game today, incisive and hungry.

Roll on next week! COYR!!!

What a game to now make my 10,000 post on. I honestly could not believe it when I checked the score after 20 minutes to see 3-0 all the same player and in less than 2.5 minutes.

Let's beat City and give us a great chance of 5th still!

But 7th could be ours by this time tomorrow if Swansea fail to beat City.

What a game to now make my 10,000 post on. I honestly could not believe it when I checked the score after 20 minutes to see 3-0 all the same player and in less than 2.5 minutes.

Fastest hat-trick in EPL history, 6 goals, f*ck all that, youve got 10,000 posts, thats superb.

POTM to you!

"If" (and its a big if) Southampton beat Man City, then Liverpool have to beat Stoke City away or Southampton would finish above Liverpool for the 1st time ever.

We just need City to do the biz tomorrow so we can go into Sunday worrying about ''what's above'' and see what we can do, rather than worrying about what's behind...

didn't see the game at all, how did Gazza, Clyne, Davis and JWP play ?

Davis looked like the player he was when we were flying , Jwp was decent and showed he can be a decent player when he puts a shift in , Clyne see Davis and Gaza made a couple of decent saves

You won't have to stay up late -- we're first on Motd

May stay up then

Cheers. Lovely stuff.

Can't work out if Long fouled Given or not, or if just a strong challenge.

Great finish for the 5th. Sublime.

This is what happens when we keep going for goal and not doing reverse crop circles and then back to the opponents half.

Took Elia 4 minutes of coming on to reverse the trend and about turn and lose the ball. Was 60 minutes till I saw Davies for the first time. Hadn't realised he was even playing.

Amazing what the effect of the return to fitness and new contract for JayRod did today. Today's performance was like Lazarus being brought back from the dead.

Whatever it was that saw such a transformation hope Koeman and the backroom team have learned something and keep on doing it.

What a difference this result does to the feel good factor.

Just watched the goals on youtube. Looks like it was a fantastic effort all round. Well done boys - especially Mane. But what a strike by Shane Long! Superb composure and vision - sort of goal that MLT would have scored :D

May stay up then

Cheers. Lovely stuff.

Can't work out if Long fouled Given or not, or if just a strong challenge.

Great finish for the 5th. Sublime.

Nah, just a collision. At the time I wondered if it might be a penalty but Mané made a decision unnecessary.

Fair play to those Villa fans who applauded Long's second goal.