Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 6-1 Aston Villa

Saint-Armstrong

MotM vs Aston Villa (Home 2014/15)  

436 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Aston Villa (Home 2014/15)

• Gazzaniga
    • Bertrand
    • Clyne
    • Alderweireld
    • Fonte
    • Wanyama
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Davis
    • Mané
    • Long
    • Pellè
    • Yoshida
    • Djuricic
    • Elia

Absolutely superb way to sign off at home, back to the devastating form we were in when it all kicked off. Villa aided and abetted througout the first half but the 3rd and 6th goals were amongst the best of the season. Brilliant. Sadio has to get the MOM for the prem record hattrick but I thought Long was absolutely brilliant throughout the first half, scoring 2 and setting up 2 as well. Also I called Gazza a hopeless clown last week but today, for the first time, there looked like there may be a decent keeper in there somewhere. COYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mane, Long and Pelle were excellent today, combining perfectly. Mane sneaking Man of the match.

The defence was reasonably solid. Gazzaniga made a nice save at the end too from agbonlahor.

If there was an area to be slightly critical on an amazing day it was the midfield. We won today by bypassing it but we've got work to do in terms of replacing Morgan/Cork ballplaying. None of Davis, JWP or Wanyama were terrible but neither did i think they stood out as excellent.

Great that the team has got to 60 points. Now we need Swansea & Spurs to drop points.

Excellent performance. Great way to sign off at SMS. Very happy for all who were there to see it.

As for the front three, outstanding. Mane will get all the plaudits, and why not. Fowler's record had stood for 21 years; it will be a long time before Mane loses his. However, Shane Long and Pelle also played blinders. Villa's defence were poor be cause of how our front three played.

Oh, and it should have been 7!!

Mane, Long and Pelle were excellent today, combining perfectly. Mane sneaking Man of the match.

The defence was reasonably solid. Gazzaniga made a nice save at the end too from agbonlahor.

If there was an area to be slightly critical on an amazing day it was the midfield. We won today by bypassing it but we've got work to do in terms of replacing Morgan/Cork ballplaying. None of Davis, JWP or Wanyama were terrible but neither did i think they stood out as excellent.

Great that the team has got to 60 points. Now we need Swansea & Spurs to drop points.

I thought JWP had a pretty good game actually.

Outstanding way to finish off the season at home. I was a little busy so I missed the first 17 minutes, and couldn't believe it when I ran the stream and saw it was already 3-0.

Although I didn't watch the whole 90 minutes, I thought Gazza was actually quite good today. Nothing he could do about Benteke's header but he made a few good saves and looked a lot more confident coming for crosses. Could it be that he is slowly reaching the potential that the club saw in him to begin with?

Great performance. Don't want to be negative but Villa could still destroy our season, not playing like that though. So much more urgency today though, Long proved his worth again despite so many writing him off. 5 decent additions and this side can cope with Europa

Mane, Long and Pelle were all outstanding - doesn't get any better than this!

Is it bad that even after we thumped them 6-1 i'm still annoyed about Pelle's first goal being disallowed? Haha

more annoyed at not getting the clean sheet.

but hells ya.. a very fun afternoon!

a win at City will make me forget about the last 2 months.

Brilliant season, better than I could have ever expected. 60 points!

Just got back home. What an incredible way to end the home season matches. I'm told that Pelle's first goal should have stood and after it was disallowed, the thought arose that it might be one of those matches where it would end up costing us points. But Villa's game plan of a high defensive line backfired badly when either they weren't winning the midfield balls, or balls were played over the top for the pace of Long and Mane, which they just couldn't handle.

Hard to pick any of our players who didn't put in a good shift today, they were all great. During the second half, they took their foot off the pedal and Villa looked a bit more threatening, but ultimately they lacked the quality to break us down. Two of the goals will stand out in particular; the shot from distance from Long was sublime. The other was the Pelle goal where a great one-two involving Mane and Djuracic resulted in a superb cross from Mane for Pelle to thump in an unstoppable shot.

But this will become known as the Mane game, which is going into the annals of Premier League history for the speed of his devastating hat trick. One of my neighbours in the Family stand reported that one of his family at home had gone out for a loo break when the score was 0-0 and when he got back to the match it was 3-0!

We just have to hope that Spurs drop points against Hull and that we get something from the Man City match. Today's result will give us a great confidence boost and maybe unnerve City a bit.

Well, Villa completely played into our hands with a high and slow back line. We took some risks committing men forwards and it meant Villa did get through our midfield at times but it always looked like we were going to score a hatfull.

We were a bit half-arsed in the second half but that's not surprising.

Ron Vlaar is out of contract this summer. No thanks!

Gazza - 7 - solid. Has definitely got all the attributes and looked more confident to leave his line. If he can keep the howlers out if his game he can be a decent GKer.

Clyne - 8 - looked much better today. Good offensively.

Font - 7 - solid as ever.

Toby - 7 - as above.

Bertie - 7 - not as prominent as Clyne in attack but usual high standard.

Big Vic - 6 - him and Davis both struggled a bit, just due to the way the match was set up tactically. Still made his fair share of interceptions and challenges.

Davis - 6 - as above.

JWP - 7 - embraced the attacking responsibility and helped us add numbers to attacks. Some good deliveries.

Long - 10 - quality. Great play for Mane's third and what a second goal.

Pelle - 9 - unlucky to only have one goal. Ran their centre backs hard all match.

Mane - 10 - MotM - what a player he can be. Frankly, he took the **** at times. Worth double what we paid for him already and if he carries on next season we'll struggle to keep him. Class.

Pelle was really impressive today, making an effort to run onto through balls and moving Villa's back four around - proper centre forward stuff to make room for Mane and Long.

I don't think I need to speak for Long and Mane, absolutely out of this world from them both. They seemed to have a lot more freedom to move out of position, like against Chelsea, and were absolutely unplayable!

Big shout out to Gazza, did some excellent shot stopping today, definitely has potential.

Shows we can play without Morgan, i thought Wanyama and Davis were really good in the central midfield role. Big Vic just marshalled Grealish and didnt give him a kick and Davis did what MS usually does, quick passing, good pressing etc

The front 3 were nearly unplayable - i remember watching Long play that way against Sunderland in that wide role - shame he cant do that consistently as on his day he's top drawer. Pelle seems to be finding his best form again after, lets face it, really dropping off since new year

Mane - well he just added 10m to his price tag and i can see vultures circling around him in the summer