Ryan Seager

JoeShmoe

Know he's been banging the goals in for the U18's this season and we signed him long term in March, but has anyone seen him live? Could he make the step up next year? What sort of forward is he?

And whats the latest on Calum Slattery? Know he is highly rated and Arsenal are all over him

Seager is a proper goalscorer - he has all the right instincts and 20 or so goals this season is a great return. He is a very niche player though - a bit like Hernandez at Real Madrid.

Slattery is brilliant but apparently his family / agent know this too and are pushing for him to progress at Saints very quickly otherwise they are saying he could leave. That news is a year old though so not sure if anything has changed since - he's a mainstay in the U18's and has made some U21 appearances too. He's going to be one that if he makes it with Saints, he won't be around too long.

I've only seen Seager on line/TV , and you can get a false impression if you don't see the whole pitch during a game, but he looks to me very much a goal scorer .... bit like a Billy Sharp sort of player. Not that this means he won't be worth a place in a premier league team soon.

Gallagher, however, looks a more all round player ... A target man , who can score and who has a fair bit of pace too. So personally I see him making it sooner.

Have watched quite a few U21 games /highlights ,and of course Ryan Seager looks quite impressive.

Doesn't look to be the tallest player on the pitch, but is a real goal-poacher and like Pahars and Moran before him; if you give him the service, he'll get the goals.

Daft question but isnt that basically what Charlie Austin is? Wondering if we'd spend 10m+ on a goal poacher if we already have one coming through - clearly we would want the proven experience but that's the club philosophy

Seager is a proper goalscorer - he has all the right instincts and 20 or so goals this season is a great return. He is a very niche player though - a bit like Hernandez at Real Madrid.

Slattery is brilliant but apparently his family / agent know this too and are pushing for him to progress at Saints very quickly otherwise they are saying he could leave. That news is a year old though so not sure if anything has changed since - he's a mainstay in the U18's and has made some U21 appearances too. He's going to be one that if he makes it with Saints, he won't be around too long.

No-one in the prem is more likely to play a talented youngster than us, so his parents need to actually think carefully.

Daft question but isnt that basically what Charlie Austin is? Wondering if we'd spend 10m+ on a goal poacher if we already have one coming through - clearly we would want the proven experience but that's the club philosophy

Austin is much more than just a poacher. For a decent and reasonably obvious example check his run and cross for QPR's first goal against Newcastle.

charlie Austin is far more than a 'poacher'...far more

is this still the case - we haven't brought many through this year but instead bought in people like Elia and Djuricic.

to my memory...

Reed, Targett, Ward-Prowse (technically not this year but still an academy product), Hesketh, Gape, and possibly McCarthy have all played this year. Not sure many would come close to that.

to my memory...

Reed, Targett, Ward-Prowse (technically not this year but still an academy product), Hesketh, Gape, and possibly McCarthy have all played this year. Not sure many would come close to that.

But how much game time compared to Elia and Djuricic has Hesketh and Gape et al had to help their development?

is this still the case - we haven't brought many through this year but instead bought in people like Elia and Djuricic.

Elia and Djuricic are both loan players brought in after the Hesketh injury at Burnley. Sometimes you can bring youngsters in too early and it can set them back. Think they are looking to promote some of the youngsters but they're not quite ready yet so they're filling the gaps temporarily with loan players and seeing if they find a diamond along the way. Isgrove went on loan after Elia came in which was probably the better option for him as I'm not sure he's ready for the Premiership just yet. Getting into Europa League next season will be interesting as I suspect we'll see the youngsters getting more chances in the Latvian away games and Carling Cup fixtures. Club's philosophy is still the best in the Premier League for young players coming through in my opinion.

Elia and Djuricic are both loan players brought in after the Hesketh injury at Burnley. Sometimes you can bring youngsters in too early and it can set them back. Think they are looking to promote some of the youngsters but they're not quite ready yet so they're filling the gaps temporarily with loan players and seeing if they find a diamond along the way. Isgrove went on loan after Elia came in which was probably the better option for him as I'm not sure he's ready for the Premiership just yet. Getting into Europa League next season will be interesting as I suspect we'll see the youngsters getting more chances in the Latvian away games and Carling Cup fixtures. Club's philosophy is still the best in the Premier League for young players coming through in my opinion.

Good post. Lots of the lads would have played more had we still been in the championship. We need to allow them to develop more at this level. Spurs have shown with kane and mason that biding your time with young players can be a good thing.

Seager hasn't done much to impress me in the few matches I've seen him play to be honest - Gallagher immediately gave me the impression of a quick-thinking finisher who had creativity, strength in the air and a decent touch with his back to goal.

Seager has kind of just been there when I've seen him, decent movement but not really been impressed otherwise - but that could be because he's being asked to play a Pelle-lite restricted role up top and maybe it doesn't suit him so well. But he has scored 21 goals for the U21s, so he's got something going for him, just not sure what yet.

to my memory...

Nine of the U21 side that won the League Cup had 1st team experience.

interesting observation. what do you mean by niche?

interesting observation. what do you mean by niche?

I assume it's implying he's good at the thing he's good at, but that might not be useful in all systems. Like Chicharito is a box player who Ronaldo rarely passes to, making him a bit less useful than he'd be if he was the focal point of a team with a high press or something. So he'll be signing for Spurs then. :D

It would be nice if you could fix the spelling of Seager. And Gazzaniga can be added now too.

Gazzaniga is excempt for reasons stated (criteria clearly stated at top). I'll adjust Seager's name - hopefully you'll now be able to sleep at night ;)

Edit: Said in jest, obviously. I'm always happy to be corrected :thumbup:

Edited by Donatello

Gazzaniga is excempt for reasons stated (criteria clearly stated at top). I'll adjust Seager's name - hopefully you'll now be able to sleep at night ;)

Edit: Said in jest, obviously. I'm always happy to be corrected :thumbup:

Ah yeah, ok, I was just trying to remember who the 9 U21s were and he wasn't there. Different criteria.

I assume it's implying he's good at the thing he's good at, but that might not be useful in all systems. Like Chicharito is a box player who Ronaldo rarely passes to, making him a bit less useful than he'd be if he was the focal point of a team with a high press or something. So he'll be signing for Spurs then. :D

Yeah - basically he is a goalscorer (and a very good one at that too) but you ask yourself how many teams play these sort of players these days and the answer is very few. I think he has a good future though. He did play some games as a Number 10 earlier this season and did ok. It all comes down to if the movement / chances / goals he gets at U21 level are the same that are scored at senior level - if so he'll be great.

Ah yeah, ok, I was just trying to remember who the 9 U21s were and he wasn't there. Different criteria.

:thumbup: That'd be a much broader subject (u21/youth representation), fo' sure (and equally interesting). Although Gazzaniga is now 23. When did that happen?! :?

But how much game time compared to Elia and Djuricic has Hesketh and Gape et al had to help their development?

It means diddly squat if they arent ready to step up, last year you had Chambers, JWP and Shaw.

None of the others, apart from reed are that close to being a better option than what we have in what is essentially a fight for our highest ever finish.

Slattery is a good player, but yes, I think he and his parents are aware and he was at one point quite vocal about being regularly watched by chelsea and arsenal. The rumour was at one time one of those two had all but signed him. He is an Adidas athlete too, and those sponsors are known to pressurise. Considering the fact he is 16 however may be a reason why he was 'vocal' as most kids that age like a boast.

Gallagher looks to me the most likely but again he isnt ready yet so expect him to go out on loan. Id also expect Seager to go out too. Next year you may well see stephens, reed and hesketh, possibly sims too

Edited by Smirking_Saint

Seager was poor last night btw. A couple of runs with the ball when a pass would have been a better option, terrible finish in the one effort he had which he should have buried, with time on the edge of the box, didn't even work the keeper. After that, Man City took over and he didn't get much opportunity to do anything much.

It did occur to me that if we're playing the same style throughout the club, a 5ft 9(ish) nippy box player isn't really being utilised to his maximum potential trying to pretend to be Graziano Pelle. Though Sam McQueen did a hell of a job of looking like that's what he was trying to do from out wide.

• 1 year later...
2 goals tonight for the U23s. Can't be long before he gets a chance in the first team squad, surely?

Shame he was injured at the start of the season when we actually had plenty of games to give the youth a chance. Can't see him getting a game over our other options now its just PL games and the cup final left

• 7 months later...
A victory for Franchise FC over the club they tried to destroy.

Just seen the goals on SSN. Seager missed the cross and the defender behind him scored an OG.

It'a good experience for Seager, as it was for Dele Alli when he playd there. Seager's always looked a more natural goal scorer than Gallagher and it would be great if he could score regularly for our first team when he finishes his loan spell.